Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ultimate Mango posted:

So far as I know the engine and transmission are very solid, electronics not so much. I think I replaced the nav system on my e66 every year, and there were still gremlins in the system when I got rid of it. Incredible car just expect iDrive to eat a lot of expensive parts. Not a single spot of oil on my garage floor in almost five years of ownership, and it never even needed to be topped off between oil changes.
I would assume that it had the GOD DAMNED COOLING SYSTEM but I never had any issues.

On another note, for a low mileage car with an n54 engine, when should the plastic cooling system stuff be replaced? I have an 08 with 45k miles and I don't know if I should go it soon or wait for 60k miles.

What am I getting into with idrive ? Are parts available from ebay ? I would assume it would be computer modules etc that die ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

jonathan posted:

What am I getting into with idrive ? Are parts available from ebay ? I would assume it would be computer modules etc that die ?

Yeah it was computer parts. I didn't replace the. Myself but I know refurb parts are generally available, eBay and the like. I don't know how bad the programming is, but there are forums dedicated to bmw programming and I think at least some of that talk would be considered filez and thus verboten here.

The only problems I had were related to nav, audio (the amp), and the screen, but I think the screen itself was fine it was an analog video signal getting corrupted somewhere in the electronics chain.

If the car is cheap and you can do some work yourself (I was not so brave and am the least mechanically inclined person I know) a 'beater' 7er could be ten kinds of awesome.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yeah it was computer parts. I didn't replace the. Myself but I know refurb parts are generally available, eBay and the like. I don't know how bad the programming is, but there are forums dedicated to bmw programming and I think at least some of that talk would be considered filez and thus verboten here.

The only problems I had were related to nav, audio (the amp), and the screen, but I think the screen itself was fine it was an analog video signal getting corrupted somewhere in the electronics chain.

If the car is cheap and you can do some work yourself (I was not so brave and am the least mechanically inclined person I know) a 'beater' 7er could be ten kinds of awesome.

Thanks for the info. It seems that the resale is not great because people are afraid of them, similar to the VW Phaeton. Any idea how the vehicle was on ice and snow ? I have an 08 Jeep Rubicon when the weather is really bad, I'm more concerned with traction control and skid control when hitting black ice at night in a sweeping curve on the highway. I would be using studded winter tires during the cold months.

Also have you ever driven or spent time in a Chrysler 300c ? Curious how the 7 series stacks up regarding ride quality and comfort.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Also have you ever driven or spent time in a Chrysler 300c ? Curious how the 7 series stacks up regarding ride quality and comfort.

That's a joke, right?

The 7 series blows it away in every respect, including the price tag which is quite literally TRIPLE.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

That's a joke, right?

The 7 series blows it away in every respect, including the price tag which is quite literally TRIPLE.

I have a 300c as a reference point for comfort and power. The 7 has similar power, but is heavier. They're both about the same value on the used market. Within $4000. I'm interested in the 750Li because of the extra legroom in the back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

The 7 has similar power, but is heavier.

What am I missing here? a 300 C is a 4000 lb car with a 190 HP v6 (95 HP/ton), the 7 series....presumably a 4900 lb E66 with a 360 HP V8 if it's we're talking 750Li.....is 160 HP/ton.

Yes I just looked all of that up for specifics, but anyone who's driven both doesn't need numbers to notice the difference. It's quite a large one, and not just in power. It's the difference between "meh" and "oh.....I didn't think it would do that. NIIICE."

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 11, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

jonathan posted:

It seems that the resale is not great because people are afraid of them, similar to the VW Phaeton. Any idea how the vehicle was on ice and snow ?

Yes, people are afraid of out of warranty 7ers. I recall a guy I worked with having a $15,000 repair bill getting one up to snuff to sell (this was maybe 6 years ago).

I have spent many miles in the 300, though always as a rental (yes, plenty with the hemi). No comparison.

Motronic posted:

Exactly. When I got my 750Li, it was a USED 750 or a NEW Genesis. The used 7 was the better car for the same money. Not even close actually, it was that much better. With the 7ers depreciating so fast even a 6-8 year old one can make a good beater car. Likely bulletproof drivetrain (engine, transmission) with everything else made of leaded crystal glass.

jonathan posted:

I'm interested in the 750Li because of the extra legroom in the back.

Was my thought process exactly. Of course, I just downsized because 80% of the time it is just me by myself, and the 550 is a way more fun car to drive. For the other 20% of the time the people in the back seat can suck it and hang on tight around the bends.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Motronic posted:

What am I missing here? a 300 C is a 4000 lb car with a 190 HP v6 (95 HP/ton), the 7 series....presumably a 4900 lb E66 with a 360 HP V8 if it's we're talking 750Li.....is 160 HP/ton.

Yes I just looked all of that up for specifics, but anyone who's driven both doesn't need numbers to notice the difference. It's quite a large one, and not just in power. It's the difference between "meh" and "oh.....I didn't think it would do that. NIIICE."

The 300C has a 5.7L v8 with 340hp (or 360something for the current gen). The first gens honestly aren't luxurious but they do accelerate very nicely. Never been in a 2nd gen.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

Beater 7s are amazing. It's hard for people to get past the stories of whiny owners that scream "oh man, the 12-way reclinable power seat whatever 9-billion-multifunction seat controller doesn't extend ALL THE WAY, but only 90% of the WAY! man I better go out and drop $4200 at the dealer to have the whole system replaced!"

The car will more than likely run and drive forever. If you're a sperglord that insists on every single feature in your car working exactly the way it did from day one, then don't buy a used 7-series.

The navigation unit in an e65/e66 BMW is a horrible clunky piece of poo poo compared to even the worst of aftermarket TomTom GPS units, or Apple/Google Maps. I have no idea if mine even works because it takes 10 minutes to input an address into it; meanwhile, it takes a few seconds to ask Siri.

They blow the 300 away in terms of comfort, driveability, power, bang-for-the-buck etc. There is no "slow" e65/e66, but there are lots of V6 300s out there. I like the 300; if the 1st-gen SRT8 would have had about 100hp more, I might have picked one up instead of the E55 AMG. I wouldn't ever compare the 300 with a 7 though; they're different leagues in terms of everything except "oh that's a big car"

also by owning a 7 series even if its crap you still get to act smug and talk down to your former BMW allies as the one-eyed man amongst the blind

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

What the gently caress is this even supposed to mean? :psyduck:

Somebody please dig up this thread. It was one of the funniest ones I can remember from AI, up there with World's Worst Clydesdale and Vitamin J/Speed Holes/IT'S CLEAR WHO'S BEEN TO THE TRACK AND WHO HASN'T

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nait Sirhc posted:

There is no "slow" e65/e66, but there are lots of V6 300s out there.

Depends - I'd say the basic diesel 7 series is pretty slow and there are a lot of them around (location dependent obviously)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks again for all the replies. I missed a few good deals since posting. A 100,000km 750Li going for $18,995

FYI these are some of the local listings in my province:
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/...00.00__30001.00

I've also looked at Mercedes S and Lexus. Lincoln's stuff is ugly as gently caress. Cadillac STS are pretty cheap also but seem to be closer in features and build to the Chrysler 300c

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I think the reason for the strange noises and lack of handbrake on my e46 has been found.

All the stuff below the wheel brace fell out when I took the passenger side disk partially off, the piece above fell out the drivers side.

Never had time to properly inspect the pass. side (as I didn't remove the calliper just compressed the piston enough to angle the disk off because I was tight on time) but it seems to work. Can anybody identify the the missing bit?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Given the level of rust, I would say the two pivots ripped out of the backing plate and just created a mess. You should be able to inspect from the back without taking the wheel off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nait Sirhc posted:

Beater 7s are amazing. It's hard for people to get past the stories of whiny owners that scream "oh man, the 12-way reclinable power seat whatever 9-billion-multifunction seat controller doesn't extend ALL THE WAY, but only 90% of the WAY! man I better go out and drop $4200 at the dealer to have the whole system replaced!"

The car will more than likely run and drive forever. If you're a sperglord that insists on every single feature in your car working exactly the way it did from day one, then don't buy a used 7-series.

The navigation unit in an e65/e66 BMW is a horrible clunky piece of poo poo compared to even the worst of aftermarket TomTom GPS units, or Apple/Google Maps. I have no idea if mine even works because it takes 10 minutes to input an address into it; meanwhile, it takes a few seconds to ask Siri.

They blow the 300 away in terms of comfort, driveability, power, bang-for-the-buck etc. There is no "slow" e65/e66, but there are lots of V6 300s out there. I like the 300; if the 1st-gen SRT8 would have had about 100hp more, I might have picked one up instead of the E55 AMG. I wouldn't ever compare the 300 with a 7 though; they're different leagues in terms of everything except "oh that's a big car"

also by owning a 7 series even if its crap you still get to act smug and talk down to your former BMW allies as the one-eyed man amongst the blind

You're being a bit generous here. Half of AI drives miatas or e30s, so I'm sure they're used to not having every last thing working in their cars and they're not just being debbie-downers. Beyond the "usual" stuff going wrong in the 7-series, (which has the 7-series tax), there are tons of little things that are more complicated than in regular cars and may or may not be vital to the function of the car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Nait Sirhc posted:

Beater 7s are amazing.

I keep kicking around the idea of buying a used E38 to make a beater out of. The only big weak link in those is the transmission, which can be rebuilt or do the manual swap. I have looked into the manual swap but by the time I source all the parts and poo poo gets fabbed up, I'm in it for the same as a rebuilt transmission.

I really wouldn't mind learning the dark art of auto transmission rebuilding. I just know that poo poo needs to be clean clean clean.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Given the level of rust, I would say the two pivots ripped out of the backing plate and just created a mess. You should be able to inspect from the back without taking the wheel off.

That makes sense, I couldn't even figure out how it was mounted because it was all on the floor before in a pile! At 170,000 miles and 9 salty winters and wet summers it's hardly surprising, the backing plate looked pretty flimsy.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I think Regular Car Reviews did a pretty fair assessment of the E38. If you have a war chest of money to get one running well you really do get a lot of car for the money.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well its the maintenance debt that kills these cars (partially electronics) but people that buy these cheap just wanna look "baller" and have no actual clue as to what needs repaired. Yeah they have weaknesses, but what car doesn't?

But I think that happens to any of us that buy a cheap car that needs various fixes and why we push people with no mechanical knowledge to buy a car with a boat load of documented work.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

Removing the fan gives you plenty of room. I've done it without removing anything and routing the belt around the fanblades, but that isn't worth it. Just get a 32mm wrench and save the trouble.

Oh I'm pro at getting the fan off. It's just the shroud that is all over the A/C belt area. ANNOYING.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

But that $140,000 could also buy a I6/6-speed Falcon ute, a V8 commodore wagon, AND an M235i coupe.

All three of them. on the road, with a years worth of third party liability insurance.

It's REALLY hard to feel bad for australia.

An M235i is a $90k car - Please explain how you are picking up the other two (new, i assume) for $50k.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

An M235i is a $90k car - Please explain how you are picking up the other two (new, i assume) for $50k.

i must have gotten confused and did the math with the 170k offered wage. ford advertises the ute for 30k on the road, and holden the ss wagon for 51k on the road. and the m235i is 86k on the road.

There is still absolutley nothing comparable wage for wage that the falcodore offers in australia, and cars like the m235i cost the equivalent of 100% of the average yearly wage in most markets, australia included.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have spent many miles in the 300, though always as a rental (yes, plenty with the hemi). No comparison.

I got a 300C as an Uber Black car exactly once, and immediately complained to Uber about it. Despite being gigantic the 300C interior is cramped compared with the 7 and the Town Car, and I couldn't believe they thought those things belonged in the same class.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

There is still absolutley nothing comparable wage for wage that the falcodore offers in australia

Accord/Camry. They're just big family cars remember.

Also where are you getting this 'average Australian wage' from. Doesn't sound realistic to me/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

Accord/Camry. They're just big family cars remember.

Also where are you getting this 'average Australian wage' from. Doesn't sound realistic to me/

The accord and camry are both front wheel drive, with 180hp i4 base models, and even then the base model costs 50 percent of the average wage, whereas the 265hp rwd falcon at $34k costs under 50 percent of the average aussie wage. They're really not comparable cars.

I'm getting the wage numbers on both sides from government websites, the aussie number from here http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/6302.0~Nov+2013~Main+Features~Australia?OpenDocument

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Ok, I can't help but wade into this debate here just to piss and moan about my own lovable tiny island in the pacific.

The average New Zealand Wage is $43,888 per annum.

The BMW 335i poormobile starts at $107,400

But eh, it's the living in a small country tax. At least I got my beater E36 for a not terrible price.

Edit: But then again one of the seniors where I work drives a M6 averagemobile which apparently is six times the average wage of New Zealand. :homebrew:

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 12, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Some of these cost differences are likely import tariffs and other taxes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That M5 price includes a $40k luxury tax.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Yeah and I should probably be happy for it. Makes sense anyone rich enough for toys like those should peel a bit of it off for the rest of us in taxes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'm getting the wage numbers on both sides from government websites, the aussie number from here http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/6302.0~Nov+2013~Main+Features~Australia?OpenDocument

As per that page the average is $58,000 AUD

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I won't weigh in there, just saying these things are more complicated than "BMW are screwing over Australia look at our average wage".

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
McDonald's workers aren't SUPPOSED to be able to afford the brand NEW cars you guys are linking! That's what e30's and e36's are for!

twi
Oct 31, 2011
Retard question: how does the auto stop-start feature work? Does it wear out the starter faster or what?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I thought most of those systems used the energy contained in a spinning flywheel to restart the engine

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Changed the oil in my E90 plebemobile yesterday, and everything looked fine when I was done, no leaks anywhere, so I ran a few errands and parked it. This morning, there's oil all over the engine compartment, and a nice puddle on the floor. It looks like maybe it shot out from the filter cap. I'm hoping I just over tightened it and deformed that rubber o-ring enough to let oil out. Is this just wishful thinking on my part? I pulled it off and closed it up again, trying to make sure it got a good seal. The other thought is I'm going to have to replace the housing gasket, which I really don't want to have to do.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Funzo posted:

Changed the oil in my E90 plebemobile yesterday, and everything looked fine when I was done, no leaks anywhere, so I ran a few errands and parked it. This morning, there's oil all over the engine compartment, and a nice puddle on the floor. It looks like maybe it shot out from the filter cap. I'm hoping I just over tightened it and deformed that rubber o-ring enough to let oil out. Is this just wishful thinking on my part? I pulled it off and closed it up again, trying to make sure it got a good seal. The other thought is I'm going to have to replace the housing gasket, which I really don't want to have to do.

That happened to me once when I entirely forgot to tighten the filter cap (it had been set in place, but not turned to tighten), so I think you might be on the right track.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wolrah posted:

That happened to me once when I entirely forgot to tighten the filter cap (it had been set in place, but not turned to tighten), so I think you might be on the right track.

Yep, also check for pinched seal/missing seal/double seal. Any of those can cause a leak.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
gently caress you fold down seats in my E46 sedan. Squeaks for life.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How is one supposed to pronounce "Hartge"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

twi posted:

Retard question: how does the auto stop-start feature work? Does it wear out the starter faster or what?

The engine stops with one piston at or near TDC, then they inject fuel + fire the spark plug in that cylinder to get it going again. It works well, but BMW's system isn't what you'd call smooth, especially in the N55 for some reason.