Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Cardboard Box posted:

So, maybe an obvious question, but better safe than sorry: when items carry over to NG+, does that include things stored in the item box?

Everything but keys/plot items (including the key to the embedded, if you're a crazy person using it as a weapon). Titanite, consumables and everything else (including giant souls), box or no, comes with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
One of my buddies picked up this game recently - I've had it for a while but I haven't been able to play it much because of exams. The two of us co-op'd the entirety of Dark Souls 1, which was fun, but toward the end it became a bit of a joke.

Is it possible to do something similar in this game? Are there any fun gimmick builds we could try that might make things more challenging? My first thought was the champion covenant, but it bans summoning. A game mod that lets us change the NG+ setting would work too but I'd rather not get VAC banned.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Weremacht posted:

Everything but keys/plot items (including the key to the embedded, if you're a crazy person using it as a weapon). Titanite, consumables and everything else (including giant souls), box or no, comes with you.

alright, cool, that's all I needed to know. :)

Crisis posted:

One of my buddies picked up this game recently - I've had it for a while but I haven't been able to play it much because of exams. The two of us co-op'd the entirety of Dark Souls 1, which was fun, but toward the end it became a bit of a joke.

Is it possible to do something similar in this game? Are there any fun gimmick builds we could try that might make things more challenging? My first thought was the champion covenant, but it bans summoning. A game mod that lets us change the NG+ setting would work too but I'd rather not get VAC banned.

Yeah you can play most of the game co-op, and it's even easier to find your friends this time around thanks to a ring sold by a cat NPC early on. there's an in-game item called a Bonfire Ascetic that is very plentiful and if you use it at a bonfire it basically puts that area in NG+ mode.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Crisis posted:

Its a lot easier to coop with a bud this time around. Both of you get the name engraved ring from the cat vendor at the start, pick the same god when you put it on, and you'll only see each others signs. Works wonders.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Just stick to RRA's side or under the rear legs, RRA can't turn very fast and the only moves that can hit you (the charge and jump) are very telegraphed. Also, play it safe, you should always save enough stamina to roll or shield.

It's very much a fight that goes from being frustrating to being an easy kill once you figure it out.

He's basically Vendrick with paws.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Daynab posted:

Claymore is amazing. The moveset is seriously great. R2 is a stab with a long reach followed by a spin. The backstep actually jumps forwards and does a quick spin, people never seem to expect it. I'm killing people in 2-3 hits in pvp.

I love its moveset too. What other greatswords have an identical moveset?

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The Defender Greatsword does, which is part of the reason it's so great for Str/Fth people.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pmchem posted:

Defender Greatsword and Black Knight Greatsword have identical one handed movesets.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
People who banish Phantoms once they kill whatever they were having trouble with can gently caress off. If I spend my casts and Estus carrying your dumb rear end the least you can do is let me chill there for another minute and get my humanity.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pmchem posted:

The drangleic greatsword, which you can get pretty early on.

Anyone else have a sense of deja vu

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

People who banish Phantoms once they kill whatever they were having trouble with can gently caress off. If I spend my casts and Estus carrying your dumb rear end the least you can do is let me chill there for another minute and get my humanity.

Jeez I didn't know there was anyone out there THAT lovely.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Just stick to RRA's side or under the rear legs, RRA can't turn very fast and the only moves that can hit you (the charge and jump) are very telegraphed. Also, play it safe, you should always save enough stamina to roll or shield.

Funny, I just did this boss today and boy; you hit the nail on the head. In certain instances it felt like the boss SHOULD be hitting me, but instead I just kind of roll off his back paw unharmed. Clownshoes.

quote:

I did this with twin pursuers for the Ring of Blades +2; sorry :| The two I summoned had signs on the bonfire though.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh yeah, it happened to me while I was farming sun medals. It sucks.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

They are the reason the life drain patch hex is important. Should your host decide to be a dick like that you can return the favor and maybe kill them.

E: Also for PVE how does a +5 falchion vs a +5 mace come out?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Azuth0667 posted:

They are the reason the life drain patch hex is important. Should your host decide to be a dick like that you can return the favor and maybe kill them.

E: Also for PVE how does a +5 falchion vs a +5 mace come out?
Mace would probably be more favorable overall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Drangleic sword has the same style with a wider slash in the second R2 (you do a full 360) and has slightly better scaling/counter. Royal Greatsword, Flamberge, Black Dragon/Knight Greatsword, Watcher's Greatsword, and Key to the Embedded all have that style, while Ruler's Sword, and Defender's Greatsword follow the Claymore's moveset. It's basically your preference as you're doing a spin counterclockwise with the Claymore moveset and clockwise with the Drangleic.

Bastard Sword, Mastadon, Old Knight and the Thorned Greatswords all have overhead chops, though the Thorned Greatsword also shoots out a bolt of lightning when you do it.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 11, 2014

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

I once had a phantom go through most of the wharf with me, even guarding lucatiel from harm on our way down to the ship. As soon as I touched the fog door, he black crystal'd out, leaving me with a boss with extra hitpoints. Lucatiel died and so did I. :( I don't even know why someone would do that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did you know you can get backstabbed through a staircase? Your other attacks bounce off it but if you press the button you'll initiate it anyway.

e: Just got killed by a dude with a twinblade with a 12 hit combo. I didn't know there was one like that.

e: How long have the gargoyles had a five hit combo that continues after they knock you down?

e: There are a lot of cheating phantoms in the belfries now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 11, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Someone tried to do that to me in Shrine of Amana of all places.

Joke was on him, as literally one second before the Black Crystal activated, Duty Fulfilled came up.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Just got killed by a dude with a twinblade with a 12 hit combo. I didn't know there was one like that.

e: How long have the gargoyles had a five hit combo that continues after they knock you down?

1. They can chain the 6 hit combo pretty much indefinitely and it looks like one continuous one.

2. They've had it forever but they only do it if you stay close in front of them so it's pretty rare. They also have lightning bolt attack that is super rare.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Domattee posted:

1. They can chain the 6 hit combo pretty much indefinitely and it looks like one continuous one.

2. They've had it forever but they only do it if you stay close in front of them so it's pretty rare. They also have lightning bolt attack that is super rare.

1. Ah, I rarely see them so I didn't know. Neat!
2. I've seen the lightning, but never that five hit one, but them I usually am circling around. Did they have it in Dark Souls 1 too?

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

DelphiAegis posted:

I once had a phantom go through most of the wharf with me, even guarding lucatiel from harm on our way down to the ship. As soon as I touched the fog door, he black crystal'd out, leaving me with a boss with extra hitpoints. Lucatiel died and so did I. :( I don't even know why someone would do that.

I actually had a phantom do something similar to me. I forget the exact scenario but everything was going fine and then at a certain point, I think right before the boss they just split on me.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Going to stream more of my first playthrough for a bit before Game of Thrones: http://www.twitch.tv/gos_jim

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the gargoyle bident worth using or should I just eat the soul?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I absolutely love invading belfry sol as a dickwraith and backstabbing all of the bellbros as they expect a 2-on-1 on the host. Jokes on you, bellbros!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How do you fight against sorcerers/hexers/other casters that cast different spells of varying speeds and ranges? I can roll through some of them but I can't fight back and either way its only a matter of time before I get caught by a homing soul mass into crystal spear or something like that.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
In the lost bastille, I have 4 bonfires and I've killed both heide spear guy and the 3 assholes that equal 1 boss. Have I done everything there to move onto the next area?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilskillit posted:

I actually had a phantom do something similar to me. I forget the exact scenario but everything was going fine and then at a certain point, I think right before the boss they just split on me.

This is because a lot of people want to do coop, but don't want the souls the boss will give them as it will gently caress with their soul memory.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Artificer posted:

How do you fight against sorcerers/hexers/other casters that cast different spells of varying speeds and ranges? I can roll through some of them but I can't fight back and either way its only a matter of time before I get caught by a homing soul mass into crystal spear or something like that.

Do you have Great Magic Barrier up?

Spice its faith req down and cast it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tallgeese posted:

Do you have Great Magic Barrier up?

Spice its faith req down and cast it.

Yeah I do. But when I close in they often get me with Soul Greatsword. The approach itself more often than not wears down my health a lot, and even if I do make it to them either the Greatsword gets me or they cast a pyromancy or something. :( Are you really expected to react to every spell by rolling well enough to avoid them all?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

In the lost bastille, I have 4 bonfires and I've killed both heide spear guy and the 3 assholes that equal 1 boss. Have I done everything there to move onto the next area?

e: Err, 4 bonfires means you probably did everything there is to do.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 12, 2014

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
Are there any weapons like the 2-hand estoc? The durability is balls, but I like the way it works.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

evilskillit posted:

Are you sure it wasn't a shade?

Does a message play when someone uses the black crystal? I know when you summon a shade and they depart the message is something like "XXX has fulfilled their duty and returned to their home world"

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Fashion Souls reportin' in.

Is it possible at all to poison/bleed bosses? My Poison Falchion never seems to do much, though the Toxic Mist pyromancy leads me to believe it's theoretically possible to do so. :raise:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So OnlyAfro just unloaded some more gold on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBwdIn-AzY

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Kaldaris posted:

Is it possible at all to poison/bleed bosses? My Poison Falchion never seems to do much, though the Toxic Mist pyromancy leads me to believe it's theoretically possible to do so. :raise:
It depends on the boss, but there are definitely a lot of them that can be poisoned. You generally have to cast multiple Poison/Toxic Mist spells, though. Off the top of my head, I know that Vendrick and Ancient Dragon are immune to poison.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Kaldaris posted:

You can poison most of them. I don't think you can bleed as many but it doesn't do a ton of damage and I doubt they get like an endurance penalty or anything.

Poison's alright for like gargoyles or ruin sentinels since you can let it run in the background while you're dodging. Infusing a weapon's not worth it though because it wrecks the damage -- you'd almost always do more damage just hitting them with the normal version as many times as it takes to poison them.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubzdLhAOcM

Who can count how many times I SHOULD have died to this boss?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Had a guy earlier today use my small white soapstone in the Dragon Aerie and then immediately banish me when I joined his game. gently caress you dude, what was the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I sincerely hope whoever designed Shrine of Animu gets hosed over everything in life repeatedly and as hard as possible

This is my story