Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SedanChair posted:

It's so tragic. Can you imagine what a deliberately left-wing comedy show would be like, that actually prized political correctness over comedy?

Un-funny would be my first guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Every humorous thing which does not identify as conservative is liberal mainstream comedy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Everything that does not actively spread hatred for poor people, non-Christians, and gay people has liberal bias.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Speaking of which, remember when Rush was interested in being a part-owner of the NFL's St. Louis Rams? They drafted a gay player today, and I'm sure he's gonna have plenty to say Monday.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
A bunch of stupid rednecks rode their ATVs through BLM land that was made off-limits to preserve the Native American archaeological sites found within a canyon. Expect stupidity.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

A bunch of stupid rednecks rode their ATVs through BLM land that was made off-limits to preserve the Native American archaeological sites found within a canyon. Expect stupidity.

Just imagine if it were the "New Black Panthers" pulling this arrogant anti-fed poo poo.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Speaking of which, remember when Rush was interested in being a part-owner of the NFL's St. Louis Rams? They drafted a gay player today, and I'm sure he's gonna have plenty to say Monday.

He's already been freaking out over it even before the Rams drafted Sam.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He's already been freaking out over it even before the Rams drafted Sam.

Oh god, what is he saying now about that? Is he actually saying that there shouldn't be gay football players or something equally horrible?

It's kindof bizarre to me that anyone's reaction to openly gay players in the NFL could be anything other than "finally!"

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh god, what is he saying now about that? Is he actually saying that there shouldn't be gay football players or something equally horrible?

It's kindof bizarre to me that anyone's reaction to openly gay players in the NFL could be anything other than "finally!"

Rush is absolutely furious that we force football players to wear helmets and padding. It's the pussification of American sports. Any ridiculous bullshit you cook up in your imagination will probably be more reasonable than what Rush will actually have to say on the subject of homosexual players in the NFL.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

It's kind of bizarre to me that anyone's reaction to openly gay players in the NFL could be anything other than "finally!"

There's also the legitimate reaction of "who cares". Who cares if a player is any kind of characteristic? If he can play the game at a high level, he should be in the NFL.

There's a huge thing around this kind of thinking in sports, called You Can Play.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

It was just "He's only gonna get drafted because he's gay, he actually sucks" yesterday, but earlier in the year he was freaking out more.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It was just "He's only gonna get drafted because he's gay, he actually sucks" yesterday, but earlier in the year he was freaking out more.

He's actually a fairly decent player, he just had a ton more scrutiny due to his sexual preference. I hope he crushes dudes

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

There's also the legitimate reaction of "who cares". Who cares if a player is any kind of characteristic? If he can play the game at a high level, he should be in the NFL.
The argument goes, that while the front office would never discriminate against a player, a player's sexual orientation could fragment the team and harm morale. Coaches could lose control of their locker rooms over the drama, and Christian players might not block as well for a gay QB. It could harm the unity of the team.
The opinions illustrated in this post do not represent the positions of Babylon Astronaut or affiliates.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SedanChair posted:

It's so tragic. Can you imagine what a deliberately left-wing comedy show would be like, that actually prized political correctness over comedy?

It's funny that political correctness is even considered a liberal trait. Liberal comedians have always been the ones pushing the boundaries of sex and language and challenging the status quo. The conservative version of being politically incorrect is making fun of gay and racial stereotypes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's funny that political correctness is even considered a liberal trait. Liberal comedians have always been the ones pushing the boundaries of sex and language and challenging the status quo. The conservative version of being politically incorrect is making fun of gay and racial stereotypes.

Conservative humor is super loving lame and spiteful. Just look at ANYTHING Dennis miller or nick dipaolo put out

I was gonna link some but it's just loving distasteful, just say "human being-friend of the family lol" into the mirror three times and you'll get the picture

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 11, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Surely Rush Limbaugh said the same thing about Tebow, that he only got media attention because he is a fundamentalist evangelical?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

Conservative humor is super loving lame and spiteful. Just look at ANYTHING Dennis miller

Pre-9/11 Dennis was very good. I still like watching "The Millernium Special" and his interviews with Norm.

I've also heard outside of a political context (which again is his whole schtick) he's still quite funny.

but agreed on the PC thing, and I believe David Cross said it best in response to Larry the Cable Guy

quote:

But perhaps the funniest (oddest) thing in your book is you taking me to task for being P.C. Have you heard my act?! I’ll match your un-P.C.ness any day of the week my friend. I truly believe, and have said onstage amongst other things that, orthodox Jews are bar none, the most annoying people, as a group, that walk this earth. I absolutely refuse to say the term “African-American”. It’s a ridiculous and ill-applied label that was accepted with a thoughtless rush just to make white people feel at ease and slightly noble. I also believe that in the right setting that, as unfortunate as it may be, retarded people can be a near constant source of entertainment (fact!). Larry, whether northern, southern, straight, gay, male, female, liberal, conservative, Christian or Jew, I’ve walked them all. It didn’t matter if it was a room full of “enlightened” hippie lesbian wicans at Catch A Rising Star in Cambridge, MA or literally hundreds of students at the University of St. Louis (a Jesuit school) or a roomful of the cutest, angriest frat boys in Baton Rouge all threatening to beat me up, I un-P.C.’d the poo poo out of them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The argument goes, that while the front office would never discriminate against a player, a player's sexual orientation could fragment the team and harm morale. Coaches could lose control of their locker rooms over the drama, and Christian players might not block as well for a gay QB. It could harm the unity of the team.
The opinions illustrated in this post do not represent the positions of Babylon Astronaut or affiliates.

I guess the hard thing for me to wrap my head around is the idea that people seriously believe there haven't been any gay football players in the NFL before now. It's like the time my brother tried to claim there weren't any gay men in the Navy. Even though I heard him say it, it's still hard to believe he actually said it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

He's actually a fairly decent player, he just had a ton more scrutiny due to his sexual preference. I hope he crushes dudes

Him going late was a surprise given he was considered he's one of the top 2 defensive players in what's considered the toughest college region. There were a lot of excuses about how his size and talent put him smack in the middle of the pack as far as elite players goes and how he wasn't right to go one specific way, but at the end it'll all boil down to how well he does at Rams training camp. All he has to do is be good enough to ride out a 6-7 year career as a starter before retiring to have his legacy intact. Outside of him completely bottoming out and right-wingers mocking him and saying he was only drafted so a team could brag they had a gay player there's very little he could do to seriously screw up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's like the time my brother tried to claim there weren't any gay men in the Navy. Even though I heard him say it, it's still hard to believe he actually said it.

Is he loving serious? The History Channel did a documentary (back before it was poo poo) about gay soldiers and sailors who served in WWII. I remember one dude who said that people on his ship were so stressed out and horny after their first combat action that he ended up blowing about a third of the sailors on the boat over the following two weeks, including some of the officers.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Is he loving serious? The History Channel did a documentary (back before it was poo poo) about gay soldiers and sailors who served in WWII. I remember one dude who said that people on his ship were so stressed out and horny after their first combat action that he ended up blowing about a third of the sailors on the boat over the following two weeks, including some of the officers.

"Gay sailor" is a stereotype dating back to roughly the invention of boats.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zeroisanumber posted:

He was actually serious, it was pretty amazing, though this was about fifteen years ago or so. One of his gay friends was in the room and instantly responded with "Dude, I've blown enough sailors to man a battleship" or something similar which shut him up quick.

moller posted:

Yeah, that's specifically why it was so mindblowing.

quote:

[W]hen Winston [Churchill] was at the Admiralty, the Board objected to some suggestion of his on the grounds that it would not be in accord with naval tradition. ‘Naval tradition? Naval tradition?’ said Winston. ‘Monstrous. Nothing but rum, sodomy, prayers and the lash.’

http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2010/08/rum-sodomy-and-lash-winston-churchills.html

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
As a winger, I'd be more concerned about the formation of all-gay carrier battle groups.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

moller posted:

yeah but "it's not gay if you're underway" is almost as old

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SedanChair posted:

*points and screams at The Daily Show*

*ignores that Stewart has been relentlessly critical of every administration since Clinton*

*is a conservative who doesn't actually watch the show*

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hazo posted:

*points and screams at The Daily Show*

*ignores that Stewart has been relentlessly critical of every administration since Clinton*

*is a conservative who doesn't actually watch the show*

Having watched TDS since 2002, I'm always amazed when that comes up, because Stewart loving savaged the Congressional Democrats during the Bush years. He'd always take the easy swipes at Bush, but would absolutely lay into them when they had a congressional majority and still did nothing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SnakePlissken posted:

I didn't know the names of the actors but when you said firefly I thought it was probably that guy, and I guessed right. I once wrote up (but didn't bother to post) a slightly effortful post about how Firefly is a perfect capture of the rightward-leaning American's take on things, idealized of course. Especially the Confederate and cowboy gear in space are the best little frommages. I was at first taken back that it was a Fox production, but then it dawned on me that it was a perfect science fiction movie to draw nerds into the right-wing view as it stands today.
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand...

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me....

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Like this?

Los Angeles Times posted:

At a rally Saturday before the protest ride, 200 people gathered at a local park, including Aamon Bundy, Cliven Bundy's son, and several armed supporters. That's when [San Juan County Commissioner Phil Lyman] surprised everyone, suggesting a drive into the canyon, but not into restricted areas.

Many in the crowd booed. Wielding a pocket-sized Constitution, Bundy said that the land belonged to San Juan County residents and that they had a right to ride it.

One man said: "Rosa Parks didn't have a case until she sat in the front of the bus."

Another added: "The BLM has guns and mace and Tasers and shackles, but we've got guns too!"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Also, conservatives are all about political correctness, when it's their own brand of it. Just think of all the poo poo you can say to get them up in arms.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FMguru posted:

Even liberal comedians don't just tell six straight "George W. Bush is a dumbass" jokes in a row.

I remember watching the beginning of some Margaret Cho video on Netflix years ago and turning it off because what I saw was 5 or 10 minutes of "gently caress George Bush, am I right?" *audience goes nuts*. It was painfully unfunny and embarassing to watch.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

Also, conservatives are all about political correctness, when it's their own brand of it. Just think of all the poo poo you can say to get them up in arms.
Even in Soviet D&D, someone will do backflips to be the biggest threadshitter if you get anything incorrect about a firearm during the wake of a mass shooting. Think about that, even moderated discussion of this issue is impossible unless the pro-gun control faction admits that firearms have nothing to do with mass shootings. This is evidenced by the CDC being barred from studying them.

I was thinking about the earlier comments about how it would be nice for the conservative forum members to step up and explain their beliefs, but the reality is their system of beliefs and policy aspirations are built around key counterfactuals like "decreasing tax rates will increase tax revenue" or "the US government is bankrupting itself paying for a massive social safety net wrought with fraud." These are religious beliefs, they are founded in faith. Beliefs imparted on them by tax dodgers trying to benefit the most out of our economy, while contributing the least.

At some point, you stop feeling like conceding points-of-fact to their religious beliefs so they can tell themselves they didn't get swindled by tax dodgers.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Rexicon1 posted:

I was gonna link some but it's just loving distasteful, just say "human being-friend of the family lol" into the mirror three times and you'll get the picture

Thanks, dick. Now I have the ghost of some annoying 4chan kid running around my house and freaking out the dogs

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I was thinking about the earlier comments about how it would be nice for the conservative forum members to step up and explain their beliefs, but the reality is their system of beliefs and policy aspirations are built around key counterfactuals like "decreasing tax rates will increase tax revenue" or "the US government is bankrupting itself paying for a massive social safety net wrought with fraud." These are religious beliefs, they are founded in faith. Beliefs imparted on them by tax dodgers trying to benefit the most out of our economy, while contributing the least.

Would being a former conservative count?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Everyone is a former conservative. Children are the ultimate in wanting no rules, yet making everyone else cater to their ridiculous whims. We're shutting down all proceedings because you won't take away Timmy's ice cream cone, because I already ate mine and that's not fair can get you into public office.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Bill Maher wants you to stop being racists.

In public.

HuffPo posted:

While most late night comedy shows have focused on Donald Sterling's overt racism in recent weeks, Bill Maher dug into a different aspect of the story on Friday's "Real Time:" Privacy.

"Last week when President Obama was asked about the Sterling episode, he said, 'When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, just let them talk.' But Sterling didn't advertise," Maher explained, "He was bugged. And while he may not be worth defending, the 4th Amendment is."

It's a difficult point to make, given the collective outrage that sprung up once Sterling's comments were broadcast. Maher's studio audience broke into fewer rounds of applause during the segment than is usual for one of his New Rules. But as the host laid out his argument that we need to maintain the ability to speak our minds in private, he seemed to win them over.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I was unaware that it was the government who bugged Sterling. You know, the institution the constitution applies to.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Maher is a pretty major proponent of privacy because he has a dismally low opinion of the US public and doesn't trust them to do anything right, or not to have the wrong reaction to any privileged and personal information they may come upon. I sympathize, unfortunately and I think this is a widespread sentiment. The public's antipathy towards itself is why attempts at a left populism are so abortive in America. Nothing to do with flaws in the US character, just about everything always getting distorted and misunderstood due to massive failure in organization and our sociopathic media.

This is definitely a mini derail though because I have no idea what this has to do with Sterling, or how the bill of rights got dragged in.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Orange Devil posted:

I was unaware that it was the government who bugged Sterling. You know, the institution the constitution applies to.

A commonly unknown aspect of the 3/5ths Compromise is that all black people and all things pertaining to black people are constitutionally bound.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

He was actually serious, it was pretty amazing, though this was about fifteen years ago or so. One of his gay friends was in the room and instantly responded with "Dude, I've blown enough sailors to man a battleship" or something similar which shut him up quick.

Reminds me of a passage from this book, where the Naval Investigative Service thought the phrase "friend of Dorothy" referred to a secret cabal of gay seamen led by a shadowy figure known as Dorothy, and they spent considerable time and effort rooting her out by sending NIS agents into gay bars to find out Dorothy's identity.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iOAmL6JPCE0C&lpg=PA383&pg=PA386#v=onepage&q&f=false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Those gay people are speaking in code! They must be up to something!