Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Angry Grimace posted:

We're talking about a manga that runs in Shonen Jump. Most people in general probably have no clue what deglazing is (not to mention who knows what that is called in Japanese).

I don't know what deglazing is off the top of my head...

CVE posted:

Alice is awesome and I really like her mischevious expressions. So much more fun that the bog standard tsundere that is Erina.

Yeah, pretty much this. Alice actually interacts with the cast and has a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Is Ryou from Boston?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
From the flashback we saw very briefly from a previous chapter, it looks like Alice found him while she was abroad in Europe.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He's from northern Europe. Presumably one of the Scandinavian countries.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BlitzBlast posted:

He's from northern Europe. Presumably one of the Scandinavian countries.

Its a little-known fact that "Ryou Kurokiba" is a very common name in Denmark. As is speaking fluent Japanese.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Huh, crushing the lobster shells, is he making some sort of ramen bisque?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Ataru13 posted:

Huh, crushing the lobster shells, is he making some sort of ramen bisque?

That sounds delicious. They already have curry ramen. Just thin the bisque slightly and it would be great.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
http://casanovascans.com/read/shokugeki_no_soma/en/0/69/page/1

New chapter up. Megumi's a bona-fied badass.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Or something like that.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh Megumi, do your best. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I really want her to win, mostly because her opponent is such a jackass. My god man, pull the stick out.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I really want her to win, mostly because her opponent is such a jackass. My god man, pull the stick out.

He just needs to untie his bandana

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, that is wonderful. He was obsessed with battle cooking even before he started attending the school where it is a tradition.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a little-known fact that "Ryou Kurokiba" is a very common name in Denmark. As is speaking fluent Japanese.

This manga is way too nationalistic to have any characters who aren't at least half japanese.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even though they keep talking up how amazing the academy is, most of the students are likely related to alumni. It doesn't even seem to be well-known overseas. In the end, it is just a japanese trade school. So, why would anyone who didn't already speak the language bother to attend?

Oh, but was that indian guy half-japanese?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

This manga is way too nationalistic to have any characters who aren't at least half japanese.

Oh god, this talk of nationalism made me think I was in the Mahouka thread again.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Until they say outright that Japanese cooking is the true and best cooking I don't think we can say this manga is too nationalistic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The current best cook in the manga is someone who specifically incorporates techniques from all over the world, so I don't think they'll go that route.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

Oh god, this talk of nationalism made me think I was in the Mahouka thread again.

Please don't bring the name of the terrible show into this

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just about all of the dishes in contests are either japanese cuisine or foreign cuisine with a japanese twist. Even that Chaliapin (translated as Shalyapin in the manga) steak from early on was actually a japanese recipe. However, all of the judges have also been japanese (because they are in japan). What's wrong with trying to appeal to the judges?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, this discussion puts me in mind of an old Iron Chef episode where the Iron Chef went up against a French chef, in France. The two French judges awarded higher points to the French chef's dishes, and the two Japanese judges awarded higher points to the Japanese chef's dishes. I suppose you could chalk that up to national pride or whatever, but I'd be willing to accept the outcome as a matter of personal taste.

It seems reasonable that you'd try and play to the judges' preferences here too. I personally think that's gaming the system a bit, but it's not like you can measure taste objectively, so why not? None of the characters seem to think it's bad, anyway.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-070--Polar-Opposites?id=196862

I want Megumi to make a dish that makes her punk.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Punk Megumi. "This is flavour violence." "Eating food is a fist fight."

I think I have finally fallen in love with this manga.

Sonata Mused posted:

I want Megumi to make a dish that makes her punk.

Yes please.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its a Japanese series for Japanese people set in Japan. Is anyone really surprised that it features Japanese dishes?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Oh my god! He "removed the hot water"! :magical:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
For the love of god scanlators, it's called bouillabaise. Otherwise pretty intense chapter.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nine of Eight posted:

For the love of god scanlators, it's called bouillabaise. Otherwise pretty intense chapter.

Bouillabaisse and Soup de Poisson are completely different dishes, I'm not sure what you're on about here.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
On further research, the recipe was probably Setois Fish Soup. I was initially thinking it was a bouillabaisse due to the commonality of fish used in the Daishi and the presentation with rusks, as "soupe de poisson" is literally fish soup and pretty ambiguous. :eng101:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Personally I thought there was something magical with the name being so utterly generic.

"This... is my masterpiece! BEHOLD! FISH SOUP!"

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You can make anything sound magical by Frenching it up.

I really like how this part of the tournament arc has been going so far. Megumi and Soma, both bringing their A-game.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/246285/shokugeki-no-soma_ch71_by_casanova

Chapter 71 is up! Feels like it's gonna be a close battle. Also this chapter proves that the author can outdo himself in making ridiculous spreads that don't need to be fanservice.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 25, 2014

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
:stare: The bastards did it. They just went full JoJo.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Compendium posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/246285/shokugeki-no-soma_ch71_by_casanova

Chapter 71 is up! Feels like it's gonna be a close battle. Also this chapter proves that the author can outdo himself in making ridiculous spreads that don't need to be fanservice.

Amazing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh my god, that was the best.

The author's definition of fanservice is becoming increasingly specific, in a great way :allears:

I can't wait for the Attack on Titan homage.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'd like to remind everyone that this is a cooking manga thank you for your time.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Begemot posted:

Oh my god, that was the best.

The author's definition of fanservice is becoming increasingly specific, in a great way :allears:

I can't wait for the Attack on Titan homage.

On that day, Tootsuki received a grim reminder...

In all seriousness though, this totally trumps Soma's battle with Alice for me in terms of anticipation. Megumi's just been so great.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Sadly, Megumi is going to lose. The reason why?

The Director didn't strip...

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This manga. I don't even. I'm not sure how it will ever top that chapter but I can't wait to see it try.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah that was just loving fantastic and I burst out laughing at the Jojo fanservice. So great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect when I read there would be Jojo fanservice but :allears:.