Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Eh there was at least one. He's got it for sale now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is there something I should know about the 2011 Daytona 675R? Theres been a 2011 and a 2012 listed for sale for several weeks if not months, locally.

Yesterday, one of the sellers lowered his price to $7500. It has 2400 miles and looks completely stock, no scratches or anything, no modifications, frame sliders, etc. I contacted the guy immediately, cause I was ready to drive out and buy it with a wad of cash but he never responded to me.

Do these bikes have some issues or gremlins that would make them undesirable or a pain in the rear end to work on? The oil change looks 40 times easier than it was on my KTM, that's for sure.

The only downside to the 2011-2013 675R seems to be that it doesn't come with ABS or TC, and the 2013.5 (refresh or whatever you want to call it) does come with ABS (still not TC, I think).

I'm trying to locate a 2011 or newer 600. Preferably with ABS, but those seem to be rare as hen's teeth. A friend picked up a 2013 ZX-6R with ABS from a reseller with 800 miles for $8500 a few months ago and seems happy with it, but the same reseller had a base 2013 ZX-6R on the lot as well that I tried out and it would stall out at speed when you pulled in the clutch. The seller seemed to think the idle was too low, but I had read about owners having starting and stalling issues and I don't want to mess with that. So, I think that narrows my scope down to the R6, GSXR600, CBR600RR, and the Daytona.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why 2011 and newer? You can functionally divide modern 600s (since roughly 06) into those with electronics and those without. Everything else is pretty much whatever with the usual caveats (R6s tend to be good for track use, Kawasaki tends to be better on the street, Honda and Suzuki split the difference nicely). In terms of actual performance, you'd be much better off buying something with upgraded suspension vs. a newer bike, with the above conditions in place.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
2011 and newer because I want something with low mileage and that hasn't been hosed around with. I don't want another project bike, and craigslist in my neck of the woods is ripe with that sort of thing.

Edit: The 675R has all of the upgraded suspension from the factory, so that seems like the best deal out there. A lot of the bikes around me are wildly marked up. e.g. a 2009 CBR600RR with rash and 5500 miles for $9k. :wtc:

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 4, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

I can't wait until I'm old enough to need/am able to get around with running around down town with one of those.

My Dad keeps threatening to buy one of these:

and fit a pillion seat for my Mum.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do they both weigh over 300 lbs?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Do they both weigh over 300 lbs?

No, we're not American TYVM.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, we're not American TYVM.

What are you in stone then

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

What are you in stone then

5 sheaves and a hogshead.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Edit: I just realized this post should probably go in the other thread since I'm looking for buying advice and not a second bike or a flip.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 6, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Best photo going
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/lethbridge/bike-for-sale/590042607?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yo dawg, i heard you like photos

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
So I had an accident in July of '12. Wasn't my accident, I got paid out for my '07 ZX10R, around $3k for the wreck (hit a car at 60 km/h). I've was browsing the local classifieds, and.. lo-and-loving-behold: my old bike is for sale. It's completely insane to me that this thing is going to go back on the road, and, more importantly, that they're advertising it as not being written off.

Here's what it looked like when I last saw it:

And how it's being advertised now;

I honestly think it's pretty freaking criminal if that actually hits the road again. Having said that, they do state that it would be a cheap fast track bike, which is true. Still blew my mind stumbling across it. The amount of damage done to it makes me think that it wouldn't ride right at all hahahaa.. :stonk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know anything about the laws where you are, but around here you can get a written-off bike back on the road -- it'll just have a "salvage" brand on its title. So they may not be lying when they say it can still be registered. It's probably illegal for them to say "not written off" though.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

fingerling posted:

I honestly think it's pretty freaking criminal if that actually hits the road again. Having said that, they do state that it would be a cheap fast track bike, which is true. Still blew my mind stumbling across it. The amount of damage done to it makes me think that it wouldn't ride right at all hahahaa.. :stonk:

Were the forks bent? The front wheel looks ok. Modern bikes are pretty drat tough. It probably rides fine. Anyone with half a brain can see that the bike had been down.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Someone please explain the used bike market to me. :psyduck:

Key points:

Craigslist posted:

Salvage title (rebuild)

In real good condition s .. Like new

Asking price:$ 6,800

I was asking $8,000
my lost is ur gain

22k miles

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a GIXXER man. And he went up 2 (135mph) so you know he's a pro who knows what he's talking about.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You can list stuff at whatever price you want, that doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what a buyer is willing to pay. By definition the stuff you see on CL hasn't found a buyer yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

All it's missing is "No credit, no problem! EZ Financing!"

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I love spring. Clueless idiots earnestly asking $2,800 firm for a 2003 ninja 250.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

M42 posted:

I love spring. Clueless idiots earnestly asking $2,800 firm for a 2003 ninja 250.

Does that mean your old one is hosed? :[

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh, nah. I check CL every day for cheap parts/gear. You see some pretty amazing ads (good and bad) as a bonus.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

M42 posted:

Oh, nah. I check CL every day for cheap parts/gear. You see some pretty amazing ads (good and bad) as a bonus.

I'm lucking out pretty hard, my coworker has a pregen with less than a thousand miles he's willing to sell me for 1000 bucks. I'm gonna take a look at it this weekend. At worst it'll be a nice little learning tool to get me up to speed for handling my DRZ and also a practice bike for my father to try his hand after he takes his MSF. At best it'll be all that and I can flip it for another grand after we're done using it. :sun:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Suzuki GSXR 1986. wow.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bikes from that era have the best-looking front fairings of all time (:swoon: dual round headlights) but the second ugliest tails imaginable.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been poking around CL trying to get a handle on bike prices and there is no pattern except the more beat up, the more they seem to want. I'm thinking that I'm going to sell the FZR and buy a '06+ GSXR750 but prices are all over the drat place. They also all share the same issues of having been dropped or scuffed or have some ridiculous plate eliminator kit. At this point I may just wait until fall and pick up a leftover model at the dealer and be done with it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bugdrvr posted:

I've been poking around CL trying to get a handle on bike prices and there is no pattern except the more beat up, the more they seem to want. I'm thinking that I'm going to sell the FZR and buy a '06+ GSXR750 but prices are all over the drat place. They also all share the same issues of having been dropped or scuffed or have some ridiculous plate eliminator kit. At this point I may just wait until fall and pick up a leftover model at the dealer and be done with it.

I have one, you'll have to reconnect the 2 halves of the frame again.

Also just buy a used one, those bikes are durable as gently caress, po idiocy is more of an annoyance than anything else.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Just a "low speed" accident. Nothing some JB Weld can't fix.

$6800? Clear title? What.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Goddamnit, why does this have to be a bloody 12 hr return trip?

Granted, not painted in :krad: colours like the other GSXR 1100 a few above, but for $1200? Man, someone's getting a drat nice looking bike. I'm sure at some point in time these will be collectible.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/medicine-hat/1986-suzuki-gsxr-1100/591669029?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Round headlights...
:swoon:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:newlol:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
how many pictures of a H-D faucet do you need :lol:

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Simkin posted:

Goddamnit, why does this have to be a bloody 12 hr return trip?

Granted, not painted in :krad: colours like the other GSXR 1100 a few above, but for $1200? Man, someone's getting a drat nice looking bike. I'm sure at some point in time these will be collectible.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/medicine-hat/1986-suzuki-gsxr-1100/591669029?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Round headlights...
:swoon:

hahaha I was looking at that ad today, it's something like 15 minutes from me.

That'd be a good first bike, right?

Right?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Only if your MSF is taught entirely in the DANGER ZONE :supaburn:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

There was a really nice black/red '86 750 for $1300 out in Yuma that kept popping up in my searches. It was totally stock with the spaceship giant muffler can and everything. It seriously took all I had to not take off a day of work and go get it. It would have been a two hour drive for a bike I don't need but it's so cool looking.
If I lived on the first floor I would have bought it, gotten it detailed and stuck it in the corner of my living room.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
:lol:
http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/lqqk-custom-fireblade-streetfighter/6619897

echomadman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 12, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Does that say Honda Civic back wheel? That can't be right.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shimrod posted:

Does that say Honda Civic back wheel? That can't be right.

yeah its pretty common to put car back wheels on VFR SSWs in the streetfighter scene, then stretch a 190 rear tyre onto it

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Well, that um. That's dumb.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shimrod posted:

Well, that um. That's dumb.

Yeah its a pity as the rest of the bike is a tasteful masterpiece, that car wheel really ruins it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

echomadman posted:

Yeah its a pity as the rest of the bike is a tasteful masterpiece, that car wheel really ruins it.

Fuckin' lol.