Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Goddamn they start giving you ways to break the game system early. I just got Red Mage and saw inflict status for 2 free BP so now instead of Knight/White Mage I have Knight/Red Mage who heals, tanks, and feeds the ever loving poo poo out of Ringabel the Valkyrie. I like to think that Tiz chafes under the role of Ringabel's mobile turn-battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
This game just jumped a bit in the difficulty level :stare:

Chump Farts posted:

Congratulations on approaching the first of the great fun fights of the game.

I see what you mean now...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheSpiritFox posted:

Goddamn they start giving you ways to break the game system early. I just got Red Mage and saw inflict status for 2 free BP so now instead of Knight/White Mage I have Knight/Red Mage who heals, tanks, and feeds the ever loving poo poo out of Ringabel the Valkyrie. I like to think that Tiz chafes under the role of Ringabel's mobile turn-battery.

By the endgame battles they EXPECT you to do this and throw in ways to prevent you from doing it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I actually have a question I don't think the game's explained by the credits and I'm probably just dumb and that's why they don't explain it.

[Endgame spoilers]

If reviving the crystals is a bad thing what exactly caused the seas to rot and the wind to cease, amongst other things? How exactly are you supposed to fix those Pretty Big World Issues without reviving the crystals? Or is it that reviving the crystals is fine, but Airy activating her brooch in the light being the thing that fucks everything up?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Volt Catfish posted:

I actually have a question I don't think the game's explained by the credits and I'm probably just dumb and that's why they don't explain it.

[Endgame spoilers]

If reviving the crystals is a bad thing what exactly caused the seas to rot and the wind to cease, amongst other things? How exactly are you supposed to fix those Pretty Big World Issues without reviving the crystals? Or is it that reviving the crystals is fine, but Airy activating her brooch in the light being the thing that fucks everything up?

I think there is a big difference between reviving the crystals and whatever Airy tells you to do, where she yells at you to keep awakening them until they're glowing bright and Agnes is passing out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

[Endgame spoilers]

Airy was using the crystals to link the worlds together. The crystals themselves were not bad, it was Airy screwing with them as part of her plan that was.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Volt Catfish posted:

[Endgame spoilers]

There's kind of an explanation for this in the part of D's Journal that unlocks after you do the Vampire Castle sidequest. What Agnes is doing is a legit ritual for restoring the power of the crystals if something happens to them, but Airy is tricking you into overcharging the crystals and then using the excess energy from them to fulfil Ouroboros's plan.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Ranger is insanely loving good early game, and it's blowing my mind.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I've two questions.

What role does the vampire serve in combat? I essentially divide class roles into melee, offensive spellcaster, healer, and support (buffers like Performer). I'd assumed it was spellcaster, but I was too drat tired after beating DeRosso to really look.

Also, I'm at the point of no return with the pillar of light. Would I be screwed out of any genomes or summons if I went ahead with it? I haven't started with genomes, but I do have all of the summons up to Susano-o.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vampire is a Blue Mage. Sort of a physical mage, really.

Summons are fine I think, but there's one genome you want. Someone else will know.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

I've two questions.

What role does the vampire serve in combat? I essentially divide class roles into melee, offensive spellcaster, healer, and support (buffers like Performer). I'd assumed it was spellcaster, but I was too drat tired after beating DeRosso to really look.

Also, I'm at the point of no return with the pillar of light. Would I be screwed out of any genomes or summons if I went ahead with it? I haven't started with genomes, but I do have all of the summons up to Susano-o.

I'd say Duel attack and white wind are the two gigantic pain in the rear end ones to get that are useful outside of chapter 4. Snag those for sure. Especially white wind. Vampires are physical damage casters with utility. Nice niche

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Veskit posted:

I'd say Duel attack and white wind are the two gigantic pain in the rear end ones to get that are useful outside of chapter 4. Snag those for sure. Especially white wind. Vampires are physical damage casters with utility. Nice niche

You also want Fireball, which is an attack that ignores physical defence and can be learned from D'gons. There's nothing permanently missable, but if you miss Fireball and White Wind, your next opportunity to get them is an endgame bonus dungeon.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thuryl posted:

You also want Fireball, which is an attack that ignores physical defence and can be learned from D'gons. There's nothing permanently missable, but if you miss Fireball and White Wind, your next opportunity to get them is an endgame bonus dungeon.

I got Fireball in chapter 7 from bahamute later on. I hosed up and didn't vampire till chapter 5 :smith:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Regalingualius posted:

I've two questions.

So, for me Vampire ended up being one of my main end-game damage dudes. Their utility combined with their easy ability to max-out damage on a multi-enemy line-up with ease (oh hay Firestorm) makes them ridiculous. All their attacks usually have an element and some have status effects. There may be better class combos to do what they do but I found them really easy to work with.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Uh, wow. You guys weren't kidding about that mage fight. Is the one with all the fire the hard one, because holy poo poo, that was ridiculous.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, I looked up a guide and went to pick up all of the enemy abilities that it said I could pick up for that point in the game. Nowhere near as dull a grind as DeRosso himself was, but goddamn do I wish there was a Beastmaster-like job. :argh:

And... Well. I was really not expecting that closing cutscene to Chapter 4. Also loving the sync-up Vampire has with Arcanist for the asterisk boss rematches. Still, not quite as much damage from Exterminate as I would be getting if I'd stuck with a purely caster class, but them's the breaks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Maxwell Adams posted:

Uh, wow. You guys weren't kidding about that mage fight. Is the one with all the fire the hard one, because holy poo poo, that was ridiculous.

Yeah, the next two are jokes

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Finally finished this game after putting it down in Chapter 7 for a couple of months.

Holy moly that Bravely Second trailer was fantastic.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm curious about how that's going to play out. The creator said the sequel was going to going to be more "action-oriented" but the turn-based combat is part of what made Bravely Default great. I'm also sad Tiz got Forever-Young'd and didn't get to live out his life in peace.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i beat Chaugmar a while ago, decided against my best judgement to go after the sidequest in the far north as soon as i could (i've learned to not do that, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try). Needless to say that guy beat my butt, so i looked up stratgies on youtube and saw the guy had the Pirate class, which i had completely forgotten about trying to get when i first started the chapter so i went there just now aaaaand i beat THAT boss in the first attempt because he did no damage at all.

Funny how level differences work in this game eh? :v:

tl;dr version, i outleveled a boss fight and it was funny that it was so simple.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

I'm curious about how that's going to play out. The creator said the sequel was going to going to be more "action-oriented" but the turn-based combat is part of what made Bravely Default great. I'm also sad Tiz got Forever-Young'd and didn't get to live out his life in peace.

I'm fine with a new style of gameplay. Bravely Default's gameplay is great, but they did about everything they could with it in this one game and doing a new style for the next game is making it both fresh and similar to Final Fantasy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

bloodychill posted:

Well the bonus movie gave me some faith in the sequel. And, I think, half of what you said is going to happen in the next game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Man, I'm wishing status effects didn't take so drat long to become relevant for your own use. Case in point: I was doing the second salve-master fight, and he was taking forever to beat; he ended up two steps ahead of my healer's actions before long. Out of desperation, I tried using the Paralysis Powder Genome by accident... And proceeded to handily whoop his rear end way faster.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I'm curious about how that's going to play out. The creator said the sequel was going to going to be more "action-oriented" but the turn-based combat is part of what made Bravely Default great.

Funnily enough, the very first version of BD had action gameplay where you controlled one character, but they quickly realized that just a traditional turn-based approach was better.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Man, I'm wishing status effects didn't take so drat long to become relevant for your own use. Case in point: I was doing the second salve-master fight, and he was taking forever to beat; he ended up two steps ahead of my healer's actions before long. Out of desperation, I tried using the Paralysis Powder Genome by accident... And proceeded to handily whoop his rear end way faster.

If you level up Norende a lot, you can get access to a full suite of status effects early on via special moves. Most bosses are susceptible to either Stop or Paralysis, so it's kinda game-breaking, especially in combination with the level-2 rod special that can give enemies a weakness to a status ailment.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
How do I add myself to the friends list in the op and add them in game? In chapter 3 and still haven't done it yet, but I want that damned Growth Egg!

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

NutritiousSnack posted:

How do I add myself to the friends list in the op and add them in game? In chapter 3 and still haven't done it yet, but I want that damned Growth Egg!

The link to the friends list goes to a Google Doc that can be freely edited by anyone. Add your name and info to the list, and on the rightmost column add the row number for anyone whose friend code you've entered. On said row number add your own to the 'To Add' in the rightmost column so they'll know to add you back. Once both you and the other person have entered each other's friend codes and you appear on each others' Friends Lists, you can go to 'Register Friends' on the save menu in-game and voila, you'll have access to each others' sweet job levels and summon. :getin:

EDIT: VV :toot: Also, you may want to jot down the row numbers of anyone you added to your Friends List on 3DS. I took the liberty of filling in my own number. :)

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 13, 2014

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks, added you

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone have an Elixir Mammon?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

My girlfriend who isn't playing the game but passively hears everything just explained the thread title to me. I feel dumb :negative:

Whoever came up with that one is a clever motherfucker.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Thuryl posted:

If you level up Norende a lot, you can get access to a full suite of status effects early on via special moves. Most bosses are susceptible to either Stop or Paralysis, so it's kinda game-breaking, especially in combination with the level-2 rod special that can give enemies a weakness to a status ailment.

Sticking time mage on a Red Mage BP Battery breaks this open so bad. Putting Stop weakness on Withering Ripple, and casting Stop on the entire enemy party trivializes even really difficult encounters. If they start moving again in less than five turns you can just Stop them again, and if they don't you'll still easily have another Ripple ready to go.

Veskit posted:

My girlfriend who isn't playing the game but passively hears everything just explained the thread title to me. I feel dumb :negative:

I don't get it

Unless it's a play on the title after chapter 6, but then it's spelled wrong

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Veskit posted:

The thread title is misspelled :ssh:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So, uh... How many times does this time loop stuff go on for? :psyduck: I'm about halfway done with chapter 6's asterisk bosses, and drat does some of this start to feel phoned-in the third time through.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

So, uh... How many times does this time loop stuff go on for? :psyduck: I'm about halfway done with chapter 6's asterisk bosses, and drat does some of this start to feel phoned-in the third time through.

Keep going with the Chapter 6 crystals, and the plot will reveal how many more times.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Where you are is a little phoned-in, but where you're about to go are the most challenging fights of the game.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Feel free to skip them in chapter 6, they're pretty much the same as chapter five. The exception is: A thing at the sage's house opens up after so many crystals. When you see the quest bubble on the map over there, go do that.

Ignore the rest unless you really need the JP (and even then you're better off grinding that stuff at florem) Bosses don't even give you XP so you're not missing anything skipping the ch.6 refights.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
That said, do all the sidequests after chapter 6, because that's when they get incredible. :getin:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
When do I want to start stealing from the sidequest bosses again? Chapter 7?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tortolia posted:

When do I want to start stealing from the sidequest bosses again? Chapter 7?
Chapter 7 has all the good steals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Veskit posted:

Does phantom weapon work with the templar ability radiant blast? In fact how does that ability work in general?

I think phantom weapon just gives you m.atk = to the weapon attack of the weapon you use. Meaning that you can have physical attackers with 2 handed who can cast for a ton of damage as well.

• Locked thread