Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So wait, does this event mean we'll never get to see what's in the locked part of the plant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We'll find out in Z! :eng99:

Or we never will.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I really missed back in Ruby/Saphire or in Gold/Silver, when a legendary was surprising and mysterious. Like, that convoluted Regi poo poo? That was awesome. They're pretty lovely legendaries all things considered but catching the rarest pokemon in the game, getting a huge loving whale and moving to a mysterious cave at the bottom of the ocean, then going to 3 hidden remote places? loving A. Now you just get a super strong guy, what's next, DLC for the super good guys?

This is what I liked about all the water in Hoenn. There was cool stuff like the Regis hidden in the islands and I hope they put more cool stuff to find in the water routes in the remakes, especially if they make surfing faster/wild encounters less frequent.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Previous Jesus posted:

This is what I liked about all the water in Hoenn. There was cool stuff like the Regis hidden in the islands and I hope they put more cool stuff to find in the water routes in the remakes, especially if they make surfing faster/wild encounters less frequent.

I'm pretty sure surfing has never been faster than it was in Hoenn.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mabels big day posted:

I'm pretty sure surfing has never been faster than it was in Hoenn.

Pretty much this, Hoenn was a tropical region, and it's got lots of water, the surf speed needs to be really loving quick. Also, please make the dive speed much faster Game Freak, TIA.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Electric Phantasm posted:

So wait, does this event mean we'll never get to see what's in the locked part of the plant?

The locked part of the power plant contains the Altering Cave.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Previous Jesus posted:

Hoenn in general was very good about approaching its legendary pokemon. The main trio are buried - arguably, fossilised - across the region, in obscure locations significant to their nature (at least in Emerald), and can only be summoned through either the usage of ancient gems, or overcoming a challenge of precision and timing. And when you awaken them? They demonstrate their power, and not purely limited to the cutscene either. When Groudon awakens, the sun is forever high and blazing down, whilst when Kyogre rises, rain pours without mercy, and when both are awake, their powers go at it in a battle of dominance, and you can see this as you try to find some way to stop them. And in Emerald's case, you get this creature descending from the skies above, and it tells them to shut the gently caress up, before leaving as if it were no big deal at all. Admittedly much of this is likely childhood nostalgia talking, but there's a reason that set of legendaries left more of an impression than any of the rest.

Then you get stuff like Mew scampering about the bushes, Latias/Latios fleeting about the region after bigfoot-esque sightings, and Deoxys with its star ritual. Atmosphere on this stuff in just great.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Hoenn in general was very good about approaching its legendary pokemon. The main trio are buried - arguably, fossilised - across the region, in obscure locations significant to their nature (at least in Emerald), and can only be summoned through either the usage of ancient gems, or overcoming a challenge of precision and timing. And when you awaken them? They demonstrate their power, and not purely limited to the cutscene either. When Groudon awakens, the sun is forever high and blazing down, whilst when Kyogre rises, rain pours without mercy, and when both are awake, their powers go at it in a battle of dominance, and you can see this as you try to find some way to stop them. And in Emerald's case, you get this creature descending from the skies above, and it tells them to shut the gently caress up, before leaving as if it were no big deal at all. Admittedly much of this is likely childhood nostalgia talking, but there's a reason that set of legendaries left more of an impression than any of the rest.

Then you get stuff like Mew scampering about the bushes, Latias/Latios fleeting about the region after bigfoot-esque sightings, and Deoxys with its star ritual. Atmosphere on this stuff in just great.

I agree. Maybe it's just nostalgia for me too, because the third gen games were the first games I owned myself (before I just occasionally played my older siblings'), but Hoenn has my favorite legendaries of any generation. The weather concept was cool and made the legendaries seem extra powerful without being corny like Dialga and Palkia.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It probably helps that Groudon and Kyogre don't look like vibrator dragons, and were the last box legendaries to not have a catch rate on par with your average Chatot.

Also that Latios and Latias were a runner, not five runners like Platinum had.

Its a shame, too. Imagine how creative the devs could get with the modern 3DS processing power for another Regi-esque puzzle or Kyogre and Groudon style demonstration of force.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like to think my love for Gen 3 isn't nostalgia, I mean I started with Blue so I think the rose colored 'oh my god what is this thing' glasses were off by the time I hit Hoenn. The legendaries really felt legendary as opposed to just mythical, if that makes sense. Like, I can see why in poke-world you'd talk about the golems in hushed tones around a campfire or something, whereas the birds and dogs and such were just kinda 'yea those are really fuckin cool'. The only other ones that felt the same were Darkrai and Cresselia.

The legendaries felt bigger, the world was unique feeling compared to the other two, it added some of my favorite pokemon (ok there's the bias...), and it had so much...stuff. Like, totally pointless but fun stuff like contests and secret bases. There was no NPC saying 'woah buddy you can't fight the Elite 4 unless you have the prettiest pokemon around and a really sweet tree house!' it was just stuff that you could do for fun.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I sincerely hope there's no forced tutorial from your rival for contests.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

korusan posted:

I sincerely hope there's no forced tutorial from your rival for contests.

Why do you enjoy kidding yourself. The only things they don't show tutorials for anymore are things that are actually important post game. (see Destiny Knot Breeding, IV's, and Radar chaining)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The Bee posted:

It probably helps that Groudon and Kyogre don't look like vibrator dragons, and were the last box legendaries to not have a catch rate on par with your average Chatot.

Also that Latios and Latias were a runner, not five runners like Platinum had.

Its a shame, too. Imagine how creative the devs could get with the modern 3DS processing power for another Regi-esque puzzle or Kyogre and Groudon style demonstration of force.

Part of me hopes - though its admittedly a really blind hope given how little we know - that they might actually be able to have this at play when the legendaries wake up this time around. I mean, just imagine what it'd be like to see some parts of the map flooded by the sudden onset of rain, or for sea levels to drop as the sun sets off a drought. Maybe random islands form whilst others wash away. Just generally have the environment change in some fashion, and show how this really could be a threat to everyone you've seen and met in the region thus far. It both shows the basic merit in Team Aqua/Magma's idea - yes, these things could change the landscape - but also why that's a really bad thing.

Though, speaking of what the processing power could do and such, can you imagine what Mount Chimney will look like?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Spiffster posted:

Why do you enjoy kidding yourself. The only things they don't show tutorials for anymore are things that are actually important post game. (see Destiny Knot Breeding, IV's, and Radar chaining)

X/Y was really good about not shoving a bunch of tutorials down your throat. You got your first pokemon and were off so quickly compared to any other game in the series. You didn't even need to get Oak's Parcel, Deliver Togepi's egg, fetch Brendan/May or any of the other inane things they usually make you do.

They didn't even make you do stuff like the PR video. Or how to use the Poketch. The only mandatory tutorial I can think of was the catching one.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
If they bring back Emerald's Battle Frontier, AND the PWT, that's all I'd want from ORAS...but that's probably asking for too much.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Zore posted:

X/Y was really good about not shoving a bunch of tutorials down your throat. You got your first pokemon and were off so quickly compared to any other game in the series. You didn't even need to get Oak's Parcel, Deliver Togepi's egg, fetch Brendan/May or any of the other inane things they usually make you do.

They didn't even make you do stuff like the PR video. Or how to use the Poketch. The only mandatory tutorial I can think of was the catching one.

They also just GIVE you a STAB move, which is nice. I wish you could skip the catching tutorial, though.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Astro Nut posted:

Part of me hopes - though its admittedly a really blind hope given how little we know - that they might actually be able to have this at play when the legendaries wake up this time around. I mean, just imagine what it'd be like to see some parts of the map flooded by the sudden onset of rain, or for sea levels to drop as the sun sets off a drought. Maybe random islands form whilst others wash away. Just generally have the environment change in some fashion, and show how this really could be a threat to everyone you've seen and met in the region thus far. It both shows the basic merit in Team Aqua/Magma's idea - yes, these things could change the landscape - but also why that's a really bad thing.

Would be cool if not only is it random when they are wild, but if you had some form of control once you capture Kyogre/Groudon. Being able to dry out lakes temporarily to dig for fossils or find hidden items/areas, or bringing rain to areas that are drought riddled to bring out new pokemon on certain areas. That would be amazing to have weather be as influential as night and day was in HGSS on what you encounter and what you can do. :allears:

Zore posted:

Huh... could have sworn PR video was required... :confused:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Purple D. Link posted:

If they bring back Emerald's Battle Frontier, AND the PWT, that's all I'd want from ORAS...but that's probably asking for too much.

I just want Pokeathlon to return, but there will probably never be something that badass ever again.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Speedboat Jones posted:

I just want Pokeathlon to return, but there will probably never be something that badass ever again.

Spiffster posted:

Would be cool if not only is it random when they are wild, but if you had some form of control once you capture Kyogre/Groudon. Being able to dry out lakes temporarily to dig for fossils or find hidden items/areas, or bringing rain to areas that are drought riddled to bring out new pokemon on certain areas. That would be amazing to have weather be as influential as night and day was in HGSS on what you encounter and what you can do. :allears:

Huh... could have sworn PR video was required... :confused:

Astro Nut posted:

Though, speaking of what the processing power could do and such, can you imagine what Mount Chimney will look like?

I sincerely doubt any of these will happen, but now I want them so, so badly.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Spiffster posted:

Holy crud I hadn't thought of that actually. I swear they've also implemented this kind of thing changing automatically with the system in previous games, so inputting a command in the form of a pokemon to enable it at will would be amazing.

And also dickish on an amazing level if it wasn't limited to the area you first use it in, and even then, if a player just regularly spammed it every time they went somewhere.

Team Aqua? Please - if you're being flooded, it'll be because I, the Pharaoh of Hoenn, have commanded it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The only other ones that felt the same were Darkrai and Cresselia.

Bit late to respond to your point, but I think its because they're the only real extra legendaries that have any mythos built around them. All the others are either plot-relevant (Sinnoh pixies and box legends, mostly) or just chilling out in some random caves. Meanwhile, Darkrai and Cresselia actually have impact, with the latter curing a child's nightmare and the former invading yours.

It's a shame, too, because they dropped the ball on that with so many legendaries. Cobalion's Dex says "This legendary Pokémon battled against humans to protect Pokémon." Being in the same game as Team Plasma and not elaborating on that incredibly easy to make connection in favor of "let's put the Muskateers on different corners of the map" was just kind of disappointing.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Speedboat Jones posted:

God I want this so badly. Though I'd settle for not retarded as the dance contests mini games. All I'm hoping for is a not dumb way to get stones. The ability to buy would be nice, even with bp or something.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pokeathlon was lame and nothing has come close to 3rd gen contests as a fun side game.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Spiffster posted:

Let me use Kyogre to water all my berries at once and I'll be happy.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

mabels big day posted:

Pokeathlon was lame and nothing has come close to 3rd gen contests as a fun side game.

Sorry to break it to you but it was actually cool and good.

Replace Super Training with Pokeathlon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Previous Jesus posted:

I agree. Maybe it's just nostalgia for me too, because the third gen games were the first games I owned myself (before I just occasionally played my older siblings'), but Hoenn has my favorite legendaries of any generation. The weather concept was cool and made the legendaries seem extra powerful without being corny like Dialga and Palkia.

Gen IV kind of fell into the anime-specific trap of dramatically inflating the power of their characters beyond the point where they're ready to show just for the sake of progression. Gen III started wheeling out Legendaries of primal forces so they decided to top that with fundamental properties of reality and even the creator diety without bothering to show it off beyond swirling lights and fancy temples. A lot of telling without showing.

They could have have made some time/space puzzles for the battles, but I think they were hampered by technology or lack of creativity. Gen V toned that down with its dragons taking the back seat to the evil team's plan (a good move) and the ideological rivalry with N, but didn't emphasize why these creatures are so feared until BW2 invented the Kyuurem-powered ice gun.

Hopefully Z will do better with the "show, don't tell" aspect.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Geostomp posted:

Gen IV kind of fell into the anime-specific trap of dramatically inflating the power of their characters beyond the point where they're ready to show just for the sake of progression. Gen III started wheeling out Legendaries of primal forces so they decided to top that with fundamental properties of reality and even the creator diety without bothering to show it off beyond swirling lights and fancy temples. A lot of telling without showing.

They could have have made some time/space puzzles for the battles, but I think they were hampered by technology or lack of creativity. Gen V toned that down with its dragons taking the back seat to the evil team's plan (a good move) and the ideological rivalry with N, but didn't emphasize why these creatures are so feared until BW2 invented the Kyuurem-powered ice gun.

The Arceus creating an egg event in HGSS along a slideshow of real world photos did at least make an accomplishment of being weird as hell.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Geostomp posted:

And like with near everything Pokemon, the manga did this so much better. Trying to reach Dialga and Palkia as they appears gets complicated, because suddenly time and space are on the fritz. Small gaps becoming lengthy corridors, a turn around a corner leads to a building on the other side of the region, stuff like that.

In the games, you're there when it happens, and whilst there's a cutscene intended to show the effect on the region, last I recall, you're not really able to leave Sky Pillar until you've already beaten Palkia/Dialga's rear end into submission, and you literally just walk up to it. You never experience what they're doing.

Giratina was better about this both in the first versions, and then of course Platinum. In Diamond/Pearl, you have the dimensional wonkiness as you try to approach, one wrong step capable of sending you straight back to the beginning, or putting you on an endless loop if you don't figure it out. In Platinum, you go through a strange, lovecraftian-lite world where gravity is more of a suggestion than anything else. In either case, you get the idea its got some kind of strange, eerie power to it, and you experience it firsthand - unlike with the other two.

Edit: I suppose in a general way, its like, 'does being in this thing's presence give me some idea of why its legendary?'. And that question is answered with a much stronger yes for the likes of Gen III than with most cases elsewhere.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 11, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

The Arceus creating an egg event in HGSS along a slideshow of real world photos did at least make an accomplishment of being weird as hell.

What? I never did this event

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

What? I never did this event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxC1kXm_AVs

Not many people did because you needed a special Arceus.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No one is ever on pokegoons yall lied to me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And if you got the Arceus from the Hall of Origin (which was never legitimately obtainable of course) and brought it, the event kinda repeats and you can get another one! :eng101:

Of course they have an event for a Pokemon you got in an event that was never released, it's Gamefreak!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

To be fair, I think that's more Nintendo's fault. After all, gamefreak puts the events in advance, and the localisers translate them, figuring there'll be some point at which they're accessed. Sometimes Nintendo puts the arrangements together, sometimes they don't.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

What continues to confound me is how they keep building in these really neat events for legendary pokemon, and then instead of giving out the key items that trigger them, they just give you the pokemon straight-up. Usually leveled to 100 so there isn't even anything to do with it, since it's useless competitively and the main game is probably beaten by then.

It would take literally no additional effort to mystery gift the event items instead, where the recipient gets not only a neat pokemon, but also a chunk of gameplay (however tiny) to go with it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Meloetta has my favorite in-game event cutscene (that dance in the cafe in Castelia)

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Ignite Memories posted:

No one is ever on pokegoons yall lied to me.

It's mothers day, be patient. Crusaderking was just looking for battles about 2 hours ago.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

To be fair, I think that's more Nintendo's fault. After all, gamefreak puts the events in advance, and the localisers translate them, figuring there'll be some point at which they're accessed. Sometimes Nintendo puts the arrangements together, sometimes they don't.

How about we just stop doing the events, period? :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Manatee Cannon posted:

How about we just stop doing the events, period? :colbert:

Because Nintendo and Gamefreak have an aversion to adapting to modern gaming convention like DLC, so we keep getting 90's era promotions instead of something that'd carry over between playthroughs. Look how long it got to get something like PokeBank.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 12, 2014

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just had this battle if anyone's bored:
U4QW-WWWW-WWW7-CDZ5
Pretty crazy showdown between my Ursaring and his Forretress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think Heart Gold and Soul Silver are legit the best games in the series, so much drat postgame content, and it had those sweet rear end Arceus and Celebi events that really gave that game depth. If they add on stuff like that to Ruby and Saphire's world, we could have something really special. Imagine an extended bit with Jirachi, and Deyoxis.

E: Also, what role do you think Wallace will play? Is Juan the leader of the 8th gym, like in Emerald? Having a water type be the final battle led to a fight that was really easy if you had a strong grass or electric type pokemon.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 12, 2014

• Locked thread