Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They stopped making RF's so heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

krooj posted:

Was the RD1 really such a big deal?

It was/is. There's not a lot of 6mp APS-C cameras from 2004 that can still command $750-900+ price tags, used, a decade later. The later variations (R-D1s, etc) command a premium over that, a like-new R-D1s (2006, 6mp) can easily go for $1k+.

There's a lot of pent up demand and not a lot of options in the digital rangefinder market. It's pretty much the only option short of paying a couple grand for a Leica M8 or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 5, 2014

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
The RD1 is so weird. You have to manually cock the shutter with a lever and it has analog dials to show aperture/wb/remaining shots on SD card/etc and the remaining battery life indicator is a fuel gauge.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feigning interest posted:

The RD1 is so weird. You have to manually cock the shutter with a lever and it has analog dials to show aperture/wb/remaining shots on SD card/etc and the remaining battery life indicator is a manual fuel gauge.

That's because it's literally a digital rangefinder. Cosina took their Bessa film rangefinder chassis and put a digital sensor, a display, and controls on it. The shutter is entirely mechanical and there's no cocking solenoid or whatever DSLRs do, it's literally just the guts of a film rangefinder in there and nothing more.

Technically the camera is pretty :effort: in terms of design but that's basically what that niche wants - their film rangefinder camera with a digital sensor in it. There's about 80 years of refinement behind the classic rangefinder design, so it's not really a bad thing. The rest of the world is only just starting to catch on to how awesome having everything broken out to tactile controls is.

It also goes to show how much demand there is for something, anything in that market space. You don't need whiz-bang features, just throw one of those new 24mp crop sensors or 36mp full frame sensors in a stock rangefinder chassis and they'll eat it up. Anything past that is gravy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 5, 2014

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

krooj posted:

The ISO dial thing is overblown. You look through the viewfinder or at the back screen with the fn button held down, and it will pull up an ISO selection menu. If not by default, you can configure it to do so.

Yeah the guy who showed me his camera had his Fn button set to pull up the menu. I feel kind of like a snob for even having this opinion but having to go into a menu, select an iso, and confirm w/ a different button is very clunky compared to "hold down Fn button, spin wheel a bit, gg hf". ISO setting on the X-E2 feels like a point and shoot system where a crucial setting is buried in menus instead of like a mid/pro level UX where it is fluidly accessible.

I guess it's not such a big deal. Oh, and there is a cheap adapter for the pano head so that it'll take a camera with an offset tripod thread so that's not really a dealbreaker.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its inevitable modern camera will turn into an extension of your smartphone, or a smart gadget with a lens mount. The more technology you pack into a camera, the more likely the the high end boutique camera shop will turn into a "Vertu brand".

Vertu couldn't survive, or shell I say couldn't carve a meaningful niche for itself because the smartphone business was changing too fast. Indeed the business has changed so fast the market has killed quite a few multi-billion dollar corporations.

Camera business OTOH, changes in a much slower pace. Not to mention amateur photographers are some of the most traditional and band-royal group of people I know. I think Leica will be left alone to do its thing at its current incarnation. But Zeiss is doing a better job at offering superior image quality and user experience along side the Japanese monopoly than Leica.

edit: that 30-minute video of a dude slowly polishing the Leica T camera shell IMO symbolizes the old colonial powers are moving toward second rate industrial countries.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 5, 2014

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
wrong thread for my question.

krooj fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 5, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whatever7 posted:

Its inevitable modern camera will turn into an extension of your smartphone, or a smart gadget with a lens mount. The more technology you pack into a camera, the more likely the the high end boutique camera shop will turn into a "Vertu brand".

I've always thought that the Ricoh GXR series was barking up the correct tree (it just didn't go far enough). Ideally you would modularize the body into several parts: a "body" that has the screen, image processor, etc, a sensor module, and a mount module that provides things like autofocus. Do it like the new modularized cell-phone concept where the parts communicate using some standardized protocols.

The problem with the GXR is that the "sensor" and "mount" modules are tied together, so you end up having to swap out the most expensive part of the camera each time you want a new lens or mount. Conceptually though, that would let you upgrade the key parts of your system independently of each other and keep the same "base" while wildly changing the feature set. Today you could be shooting rangefinder lenses, tomorrow you could plug in a SLR reflex-viewer module and go shoot sports.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 5, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Dren posted:

Yeah the guy who showed me his camera had his Fn button set to pull up the menu. I feel kind of like a snob for even having this opinion but having to go into a menu, select an iso, and confirm w/ a different button is very clunky compared to "hold down Fn button, spin wheel a bit, gg hf". ISO setting on the X-E2 feels like a point and shoot system where a crucial setting is buried in menus instead of like a mid/pro level UX where it is fluidly accessible.

I guess it's not such a big deal. Oh, and there is a cheap adapter for the pano head so that it'll take a camera with an offset tripod thread so that's not really a dealbreaker.

Selecting an ISO on Fuji cameras isnt a huge deal because their autoISO is very good. Set range between 200 and 3200 and a comfortable minimum shutter speed then forget it exists.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
When I had an x100s the exposure comp dial did nothing when auto ISO was enabled but they've probably fixed that by now, right? The auto ISO always wanted to overexpose and the menu/stupid wheel on the back were annoying enough that I got rid of it.

I'd buy a new RD1 style camera with as few features as possible in a heartbeat.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Stumbletron posted:

When I had an x100s the exposure comp dial did nothing when auto ISO was enabled but they've probably fixed that by now, right? The auto ISO always wanted to overexpose and the menu/stupid wheel on the back were annoying enough that I got rid of it.

I'd buy a new RD1 style camera with as few features as possible in a heartbeat.

Yeah exposure comp works fine now. I have - 1/3 to - 1 dialed in at all times.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Selecting an ISO on Fuji cameras isnt a huge deal because their autoISO is very good. Set range between 200 and 3200 and a comfortable minimum shutter speed then forget it exists.

Yeah this is what I do, it's a bit of a shame as they have all those nice dials but it's so easy to do as you say and then just run in aperture priority.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Is it weird that idea of cocking a shutter on a digital camera gets me really excited???

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mightaswell posted:

Is it weird that idea of cocking a shutter on a digital camera gets me really excited???

Yes

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Some of the design choices on the R-D1 are really weird and not something I would want in any digital camera but I like the general idea of a digital rangefinder. I think Leica has that design beat hands down with their M series but the Leica tax makes them unobtainable for normal people. I would love to own something with the ergonomics of an M9/M-E but with the material/build quality of the R-D1 (so it's cheaper) and a sensor somewhere between the two. I don't care about any of the stuff they added in the M240 enough to think it belongs in an affordable rangefinder.

I understand I'm kinda playing fantasy camera company here and if there really was such a demand for this beyond people who can afford the M series somebody would be making it. I think the people who would be into it are pretty happy with mounting the rangefinder glass on compact system cameras because we've gotten to a point where stuff like focus peaking works really well, and that's pretty cool!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I was getting all ready to sell my LTM glass (think I even listed it in the buy/sell thread at one point), but I finally tried it out on my A7 this weekend and yep, think I'll be hanging on to it for a while longer :kiddo:

d0s posted:

Some of the design choices on the R-D1 are really weird and not something I would want in any digital camera but I like the general idea of a digital rangefinder. I think Leica has that design beat hands down with their M series but the Leica tax makes them unobtainable for normal people. I would love to own something with the ergonomics of an M9/M-E but with the material/build quality of the R-D1 (so it's cheaper) and a sensor somewhere between the two. I don't care about any of the stuff they added in the M240 enough to think it belongs in an affordable rangefinder.

I understand I'm kinda playing fantasy camera company here and if there really was such a demand for this beyond people who can afford the M series somebody would be making it. I think the people who would be into it are pretty happy with mounting the rangefinder glass on compact system cameras because we've gotten to a point where stuff like focus peaking works really well, and that's pretty cool!

Back when the NEX was pretty new, someone on RFF noted that you could probably add an M-mount adapter + rangefinder attachment for it (if you were willing to cannibalize an old M/Bessa for the RF part). AFAIK nobody's actually tried to do it, would be cool to see though.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Mightaswell posted:

I'm getting excited about the idea of you getting excited about cocking shutters.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mikojan posted:

I'm getting excited about the idea of you getting excited about cocking shutters.

Text me. :wink:

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Finally got an email that my X-T1 body was shipped! Sweeeeeeeeeet, only been waiting for 3+ weeks (with all my lenses/adaptors at home) ha ha! Can't wait :)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whatever7 posted:

On this note, look what just popped up on Slashdot. Turns out it's comically easy to hack "smart gadgets".

quote:

"The op-co.de blog has a post about the incredibly poor job Samsung did securing its new NX300 'smart camera.' One of the camera's primary features is that it can join Wi-Fi networks — this lets it upload photos, but it also lets you use your smartphone to access the photos on the camera directly. You can also connect with NFC. Unfortunately, the way they set it up is extremely insecure. First, there's an NFC tag that tells the camera where to download the app, and also the name of the access point set up by the camera. 'The tag is writable, so a malicious user can easily 'hack' your camera by rewriting its tag to download some evil app, or to open nasty links in your web browser, merely by touching it with an NFC-enabled smartphone.' Things aren't much better with Wi-Fi — a simple port scan reveals that the camera is running an unprotected X server (running Enlightenment). When the camera checks for new firmware, it helpfully reports your physical location. Its software also sets up unencrypted access points."
http://it.slashdot.org/story/14/05/07/1835253/samsung-smart-camera-easily-hackable

wiki: http://op-co.de/blog/posts/hacking_the_nx300/

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
I won an NX2000 through work. I'm already pretty on the fence about the bloody thing, so it's nice to know it's also horrendously insecure. It doesn't surprise me, though; the whole camera is pretty half-baked.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

DSCF0061 by avoyer, on Flickr

DSCF0074 by avoyer, on Flickr

Man that Manual focus assist on the X-T1 is pretty neat! Had a blast taking it out for a spin with my girlfriend tonight. I'll probably bring it at work tomorrow and walk around to take a few shots :)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The selectable-color peaking is just awesome. The split-image seems pretty worthless, though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fart Car '97 posted:

The selectable-color peaking is just awesome. The split-image seems pretty worthless, though.

Yea split image was useless in every situation I tried it at.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I was super excited about split image focusing on my x100s and then found focus peaking superior in every way.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Speaking of, how does focus peaking work, exactly? Am I looking to have my subject covered in as much of the red stuff as I can or is there something else to it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's the basics of it. The only issue is that it mostly works off contrast so in low light or strongly backlit subjects it'll either lie to you or there will barely be any dots.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Elliotw2 posted:

That's the basics of it. The only issue is that it mostly works off contrast so in low light or strongly backlit subjects it'll either lie to you or there will barely be any dots.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I'm mostly taking pictures in dark places these days and I haven't seen much use for it. Thankfully, the EVF is good enough to focus without the assists mostly.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

keyframe posted:

Yea split image was useless in every situation I tried it at.

That's disappointing to hear. It sounded like such a good idea.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It would be fine if they had just gone with a single split circle like, you know, every other split image screen ever. Instead you get 4 bars which means the images you're trying to line up are god drat tiny.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
This might be a bit of a retread, but worth reading anyways;

DPReview got around to playing with the Leica T, and specifically that fancy $1600 slow zoom lens. The practical upshot is that despite Leica saying that the lens is using a fully optically corrected design, they're correcting in software for distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberrations. Plus the RAW files are being outputted with an embedded distortion correction profile.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/leica-t-typ701/7

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

grack posted:

DPReview got around to playing with the Leica T, and specifically that fancy $1600 slow zoom lens. The practical upshot is that despite Leica saying that the lens is using a fully optically corrected design, they're correcting in software for distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberrations.

Leica is a joke, and at this point the only people buying their cameras are the people who don't realize that they're the punchline.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Almost pulled the trigger on an a6000 yesterday but realized it was just new gear lust. So I grabbed an EVF for my nex5r and a metabones ef adapter....which came out slightly cheaper. I know most people here aren't big on the sony line but I find it pretty comfortable to hold and it produces pictures that I am happy with.

...the menu sucks of course

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm gonna warn you that the metabones adapter is really limited in what it can do. It does allow autofocus and for you to use your canon lenses but holy gently caress does it focus slowly. The EVF is pretty great though.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I have heard only good things about the EVF and I think it will make the camera that much more enjoyable to use. But good to know about the metabones.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Satisfied my lust for a XF 27mm by buying a X-M1 + 27mm bundle for $650 locally (Europe is expensive) and selling the body for $450 the next day :cool:

widunder fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 10, 2014

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Arcsech posted:

Leica is a joke, and at this point the only people buying their cameras are the people who don't realize that they're the punchline.

Yes, but how do you really feel?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with the A6000? I've been looking for a mirrorless body to supplement my D800 and XF300 for video and replace my RX100/D800 for personal stills. I hadn't considered one until today when I happened to try out a display model. It looks like it has the same sensor as the D5300, which I've shot with on a couple video projects and really liked, but overall is a much nicer handling and faster camera. My last foray into mirrorless, the GH3, didn't cut with the D800 and wasn't great in low light. Despite small sensor and significantly lower resolution than the D800 I was totally happy with the stills. I feel like the A6000 might cut better with the D800 since the D5300 matched very well. And I way prefer the tilty screen of the A6000 to the flippy outy screen of the GH3 and D5300.

Part of the appeal for me is that I could get the A6000, 20mm pancake, 35mm OSS, and 50MM OSS for the price of a GH4 body. I suppose the downside is that those look like the only interesting e-mount lenses for my purposes.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I have a friend with the A6000, I really like the way the images it puts out look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Along with the still kinda weak E-mount line up, the A6000's viewfinder is supposed to be noticeably worse than the older NEX one and other mirrorless viewfinders.