Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gianthogweed posted:

From http://www.iswintercoming.com/when-will-the-show-officially-pass-the-books-t1896.html

I thought this was a great post that pretty much summed up when we can officially say the show has passed the books (I don't think the Night's King reveal counts yet). The question is, which will happen first?

They left out Pod getting it on with Brienne. First he gets her attention talking about spearing people and then she's letting him help her with her armor? Pretty heavy foreshadowing methinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

visceril posted:

I'm almost completely sure nobody from Stannis' group has gone north of the wall. I think "Mance" was burned at the foot of the wall at Castle Black.

poo poo, now that I'm thinking about the north, am I the only one who pictures the Thenns as way less evil and badass than they are in the show? I kind of thought of them as visually similar but more...idunno...lame? They were north of the wall, free, and got themselves a network of nobility. Dumb.
The married the Thenns into House Karstark so they must be pretty chill in the book.

Can't imagine Jon making a noble house of cannibals.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you totally forgot the important plot point coming to head at the battle of meere....nah

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

nooneofconsequence posted:

The married the Thenns into House Karstark so they must be pretty chill in the book.

Can't imagine Jon making a noble house of cannibals.

House Thenn
Their words: "We Do Not Go Well With Creme Fraiche"
Their sigil: A flayed man in a pot of vegetable stock

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

House Thenn
Their words: "We Do Not Go Well With Creme Fraiche"
Their sigil: A flayed man in a pot of vegetable stock

Vegetables are for Southerners. All Southerners.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gianthogweed posted:

From http://www.iswintercoming.com/when-will-the-show-officially-pass-the-books-t1896.html

I thought this was a great post that pretty much summed up when we can officially say the show has passed the books (I don't think the Night's King reveal counts yet). The question is, which will happen first?

pretty sure there is malware on that page... I got a fake java update and some redirects...

Edit: is Pod dead in the books?

kcroy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 11, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If he's not dead, I don't think he'll be very healthy. I doubt hanging for a bit is very good for you.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gianthogweed posted:

The girl who plays Sansa is 18 and the girl who plays Arya is almost 18. HBO is going to get creepy as gently caress with them and it makes me sad. :smith:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sansa is still fourteen in the show.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

A couple episodes ago, Littlefinger was talking to Sansa about how Joffrey had tormented her "for years", so I'm not sure what the timeline is for the show right now.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Trast posted:

The girl who plays Sansa is 18 and the girl who plays Arya is almost 18. HBO is going to get creepy as gently caress with them and it makes me sad. :smith:

Tommen's 9 or 10 iirc and they had Margaery ready to pounce on him

Urdnot Fire posted:

A couple episodes ago, Littlefinger was talking to Sansa about how Joffrey had tormented her "for years", so I'm not sure what the timeline is for the show right now.

She was in King's Landing for a couple of years, much as she was in the books.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Tommen's 9 or 10 iirc and they had Margaery ready to pounce on him

She was in King's Landing for a couple of years, much as she was in the books.

Tommen's actor is 17.

Sooooon.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
HAPPY mOther's day!

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

Last episode it was stated that Cerseis daughter was already two years in Dorne. So I'm guessing they're going with a one season means about one year approach.

To compare, in Clash retarted Lolly got pregnant by being gang raped by an peasant mob (classic GRRM) after Myrcella was shipped away and gave birth in Feast. So a big chunk of Clash, all of Storm and at least a couple of chapters of Feast and Dance all take place in nine months.

I Love Loosies fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 11, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

General Bort posted:

retarted Lolly

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
maybe babies gestate longer in westeros becasue they clearly have different gravity if someone can shoot a arrow 700 feet directly up with a wooden bow.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Maybe Westerosi feet are smaller, it's not like el Gurmó has seen his in years.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
The show timeline is different from the book timeline.
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

kcroy posted:

pretty sure there is malware on that page... I got a fake java update and some redirects...

Sure, but where else am I going to meet Christian Singles in my area (Jessica is only 3.5 miles away)?

Is the book out yet?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

jsoh posted:

maybe babies gestate longer in westeros becasue they clearly have different gravity if someone can shoot a arrow 700 feet directly up with a wooden bow.
The wind carried it :goonsay:

But yeah, different gravity would explain a dwarf doing stuff like doing backwards somersaults down stairs.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Is the book out yet?
It's due out in October.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
We need a :gurmsay:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

eh, can't make a beard under :goonsay: apparently...

edit

:goonsay:
\\\\\\\\\\\

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 12, 2014

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Shoehead posted:

We need a :gurmsay:

Breaking tables is a no-no, right?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Breaking tables is a no-no, right?

If anything, GRRM's more likely to break a chair.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Sure, but where else am I going to meet Christian Singles in my area (Jessica is only 3.5 miles away)?

Is the book out yet?

No way Jessica is just 3.5 miles away from me too! Except I Read she just wants sex with no strings attached if I message her right now :( I don't know what to believe any more...

So.. about that TV show. I thought Tyrion's speech was good, but a little too tryhard. GF loved it though, so who knows. The Iron Bank is interesting - they had to be a bit more heavy handed with it I think, than they are in the book. The bank is clearly going to play a giant role in how things play out.

Thought Asha / Theon scene was a bit unnecessary.. and what kind of lovely warrior just stands there while he slowly..slowly...wait for it while I get the key out.. ok I'm unlocking the kennels now!!!!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm just glad that Tyrion was pardoned and made Master of Cats.

Happy endings abound!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
I don't know, the show is progressing much faster and drifting farther from the books than I would've expected. I think this pretty much confirms the TV authors have no faith in Gurm getting WoW out before march 2015.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

kcroy posted:

No way Jessica is just 3.5 miles away from me too! Except I Read she just wants sex with no strings attached if I message her right now :( I don't know what to believe any more...

So.. about that TV show. I thought Tyrion's speech was good, but a little too tryhard. GF loved it though, so who knows. The Iron Bank is interesting - they had to be a bit more heavy handed with it I think, than they are in the book. The bank is clearly going to play a giant role in how things play out.

Thought Asha / Theon scene was a bit unnecessary.. and what kind of lovely warrior just stands there while he slowly..slowly...wait for it while I get the key out.. ok I'm unlocking the kennels now!!!!

The Asha part was weird to me. First it was pointless: give me the fastest boat to save Theon (6 episodes later...) get rear end kicked by a knock off Vamp from metal gear after giving awesome heroic speech.

Then stare as the guy slowly opens kennels. Even though she seemingly threw an axe into a guy's skull moments before she forgets that cool trick. What a waste of screen time. I guess she isn't going to feel pity for him like in the books.

Also did Davos have all of his fingers cut off? I swear only two were in the book. I caught only a glimpse of the hand in the show but it looked like he was missing them all.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Hunky Joe posted:

Also did Davos have all of his fingers cut off? I swear only two were in the book. I caught only a glimpse of the hand in the show but it looked like he was missing them all.

He's missing the first knuckles of all of one hand's fingers in the books.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Elman posted:

Tonight I had a dream that Winds of Winter came out. All I remember is that nothing really happened in it either, and the last scene was Dany still sitting in loving Mereen writing a big rear end book about her experiences.

I had a dream last night where I saw a bunch of news articles that the GURM died and this thread was going nuts about it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

quote:

all he can do is whine about how it will be different in his fanfic.

Bit harsh. I'd hardly call what the man who's been chosen to write the Officially Licensed Novelisation is doing as 'fanfic'.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's not doing anything, fanfic is several notches above GRRM's paygrade.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, I am in this really weird position right now, in relation to George R. R. Martin's ASoIaF. Here's the deal:

I got interested in the series around the time the first season of the TV show came out, which I suppose makes me something of a bangwagoner. But I grew up on fantasy sort of, primarily Tolkien and Ursula K. Le Guin. When I was young, Middle Earth and Earthsea were both, like, huge parts of my consciousness. No surprise I also like Final Fantasy games and Magic Cards and just tended to always gravitate towards fantasy-oriented stuff. Real history is fantasy, but made-up history is just really fun.

So anyway! I got into GRRM around 2011 along with a fuckton of other bandwagoners, no doubt. Which makes me feel like I will never *really* be a true fan, but who really cares. I was fairly into the books and the show and the mythology of it all, but not in a big way. I found the books rather dense and overly full of tons of characters with all these unfamiliar names, and so was rather overwhelmed with them initially. Over the course of a couple months, I did a bit of a surface read of the first 3 books.

By a surface read I mean I was going rather fast and not spending much time with the books, skating through some of the chapters and bits I found rather tedious and focusing on the main thrust of the story rather than spending time to notice the details - I am sure many an important name/reference to one historical Westerosi location or person or another totally slipped right by me. Partly I think this was how compelling the plotline is through those first three books; it just keeps topping itself and upping the stakes and it's all like a bit of a rollercoaster. Which is fun.

But by the end of the book I was feeling burned out on it all, and felt impatient about having to read through a book that I was told was full of Cersei (whom I felt I wasn't interested in) when it was Dany and Tyrion and such that I wanted to hear from. So I lost momentum for quite a while, got sidetracked by other literary things, but kept interest in the show and kept meaning to come back to the last two books. In a way, I thought it was a good thing I was waiting a few years, because everyone else waited tons of years for these books, and I knew I was going to have to wait tons of years for Winds of Winter... So I thought why not wait till I really *WANTED* them and felt like I needed more Westeros.

Which I did. Recently, from watching the excellent blu-ray extras and then doing lots of reading online, I have basically done a ton of studying on the "history and lore", so to speak, of the show. Now I know who all of Aegon IV's great bastards were and what happened in the Blackfyre Rebellion, I've read about the line of Targaryen kings and what we know of old Valyria and their origins, I know about the various battles in Robert's Rebellion; who died where, which houses and regions sided with who... Characters like Arthur Dayne (Sword of Morning!) who would have been utterly badass had they still been alive for the series.

But anyway, the cool thing is I am actually only 300 pages into A Feast for Crows right now. And while I have been spoiled for most of all the major plot points I think, I don't much care since it really isn't the reason why you read books. It's the journey, not the destination, as they say. And I think it's very cool that I am in the position of knowing a ton about the history and background for the books now. It has made Feast of Crows REALLY enjoyable so far, especially the stuff on the Iron Islands and in Dorne. And the funny thing is that those were the chapters I was feeling very uninterested in before, but now I'm really fascinated to learn more about their culture and see how it is illustrated in the books. Ditto basically all of the Free Cities, and I hope we get more of them in ADwD with Tyrion and such.

Anyway uh, I have rambled on long enough and I am sorry for the loving insane WALL OF TEXT; blame my logorrhea on the excessive GRRM reading, if you will. I just wanted to earnestly talk about my current experience with the books, and being in the weird place of both reading it and watching the show while certain parts of the show are totally independent from the books, certain parts are slightly different, certain parts are the same but because the show seems not to be splitting up the characters and messing with the chronology I am far ahead in certain places and behind in others, but... it matters less and less as the show is becoming more of a separate entity, it seems.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

kaworu posted:

It's the journey, not the destination, as they say.

That's a good philosophy to have when you're on a journey that ends with a 16 years old making GBS threads in a field.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
please go back and reread all of the descriptions of food, it's worth it and provides a reward for the careful reader

if you had ever posted in this thread before I wouldn't have believed that was real so good job I guess

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
My current experience with the books is that they'll be sitting on my bookshelf for the next 50 years until my grandson finds them, reads them, and then realizes the horrible truth.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Please tell me you at least read the Dunk & Egg stories, that would somewhat explain the optimism (even though we'll still never get the one where they hang out at Winterfell :smith:).

v That scene was indeed great. And be fair, he does more killing in a few episodes, then nothing interesting after that.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 12, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hahaha wow some loving babies on my facebook were complaining about spoilers and all I said was Peter Dinklage was killing it in his trial scene. I didn't even say poo poo about how it's the last time he'll do anything interesting at all.

P.S. Peter Dinklage loving KILLED his trial scene.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

returnh posted:

My current experience with the books is that they'll be sitting on my bookshelf for the next 50 years until my grandson finds them, reads them, and then realizes the horrible truth.

grandpa how did the story end?

you link to youtube video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Killing Shae and Tywin is pretty interesting. Although I'm slightly scared he won't kill Shae in the show.