Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I've decided to slow down on the posting and take a slightly different path, ie. go take pics for 4 solid months and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
A few more from New Zealand last month.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I went to a beach.

Trip to San Diego-4 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Trip to San Diego-5 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Trip to San Diego-2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Trip to San Diego-1 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Drewski posted:

I went to a beach.

Trip to San Diego-2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Love this one. Haven't been to a beach for some time now.

But, I went to Mars!
Mirador del Valle de la Luna by Mijaeus, on Flickr

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
A couple sexy rocks, a couple sexy trees.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lakeside, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Revolucion posted:

Quamby Bluff, Tasmania

well,

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

A couple sexy rocks, a couple sexy trees.

fuckin'

A.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I like em, but these two, just a bit too much sharpening. This is coming from me.

Ethereal. Nice shot.

and Alk, like the other guy said. Nice.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

and Alk, like the other guy said. Nice.

Thirded.

This thread has too much sexy.
Here is my cure.

_DSC6641 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

pretty little trees

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 7, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Parliament Place, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Bought my first DSLR, a little D3100 :)

There is an option on the camera called Set Picture Control with options like Landscape, Neutral and Vivid. Are these useful or are they just a form of in-camera editing?
This was shot in Landscape and I feel the camera did too much work for me.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
It's just basic in camera editing and only applies if you shoot JPEG. Better to get into the habit of shooting RAW and editing yourself in Lightroom.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Beige posted:

Bought my first DSLR, a little D3100 :)

There is an option on the camera called Set Picture Control with options like Landscape, Neutral and Vivid. Are these useful or are they just a form of in-camera editing?
This was shot in Landscape and I feel the camera did too much work for me.

I have a D3100, I like it a bunch. The kit lens is pretty decent too (if you got the kit). I'd definitely switch to RAW and edit the photos in Lightroom. You can always shoot RAW+JPG and compare the two.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Atardecer en Laguna Cejar by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Otra de Laguna Cejar by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Beige posted:

I don't know with Nikon, but with Canon the "picture styles" just apply differing amounts of contrast and saturation, things like that. Like everyone else said, you get a lot more control if you shoot in RAW, since then you can edit it however you like in post.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

grack posted:

I've decided to slow down on the posting and take a slightly different path, ie. go take pics for 4 solid months and go from there.

:toxx: Please.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Remember 5 by thedoablebill, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
DSC_0766.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_0760.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_0758.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
This is my first attempt at a long exposure.

Beige fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 10, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Octopus Car Wash by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Teriyaki Bowl by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

twilight by blinsaff, on Flickr

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I haven't taken much landscape stuff, but I liked this one because it reminds me of the old computer game series Myst, for whatever reason. Mostly because there were lots of long passageways leading to doors, I guess.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Drive-by photo dump. I took a walk around a lake with the wife.
All of these were taken with a 55mm MF lens adapted on to a NEX 3, so if the focus's off that's probably why.

En sti by AFBK, on Flickr

Hul i hegn by AFBK, on Flickr

Den sande forskel by AFBK, on Flickr

Edit: This last one wasnt anywhere near a lake though.
Storm og raps by AFBK, on Flickr

-Anders fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 11, 2014

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Took this one day while walking about with my new Nikkor 105mm F/2 DC. I saw this scene and deliberately overexposed the shot to try and bring out the mood as the sun was starting to go down. I think I like the effect the portrait lens had on the tree, it gave it sort of a dreamy look I guess.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

point by blinsaff, on Flickr

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

green overload by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

siloxr
May 11, 2014
Is this even the right thread to ask this in (I searched the forums and got no hits for astrophotography and don't really know any other way to phrase it)?

Is there a way to do deep field astrophotography well without purchasing a motorized tracker or is this a pure pay to play situation?

Could someone offer some insight into building their own tracker? I ask because many of them look to be so heavy that one would could just purchase something like the Vixen Polarie for less than it would cost to get a tripod/tripod head that could support DIY tracker+camera. Finally, if anyone has tried manually tracking, how difficult is it to get the rate correct?

Also, random landscape I've taken because if astrophotography isn't germane to the thread, at least this picture will be.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

I really like these, what lens was this?

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Distortion controls confuse me.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

siloxr posted:

Could someone offer some insight into building their own tracker?
I believe forums member Mr despair built a tracker with a handle/wheel that you turn x number of times per minute. It could have been someone else too but there was definitely someone in the DR who made one recently

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Beige posted:

your last few shots have had sort of a beige tint to them, how are you processing them?

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Dren posted:

your last few shots have had sort of a beige tint to them, how are you processing them?

Most likely it's because I don't know what I'm doing. I just tinker until it looks nice to me. I don't actually know what to aim for or what a finished picture should look like, if you know what I mean.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Beige posted:

Most likely it's because I don't know what I'm doing. I just tinker until it looks nice to me. I don't actually know what to aim for or what a finished picture should look like, if you know what I mean.

I kind of like it I was wondering what you did

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Geektox posted:

I really like these, what lens was this?

It's an older m42 manual focus lens, I'm using it via an adapter on a Sony NEX 3. (I'm cheap)
As far as I can tell from what's on the lens, it's an Asahi SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8.

e: Also the first two pictures are stitched together from multiple shots, panorama style.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Dren posted:

I kind of like it I was wondering what you did

I warmed it up a decent amount, added green tint, blue highlight/beige shadows on the split toning, boosted vibrancy to bring out the lovely grimy colours all over the bricks and then lowered the saturation so it didn't get out of hand. Levels and stuff, of course, and finally a bit of distortion correction which went awry.

A mildly sickly look was my aim for the second picture.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beige posted:

Good