Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I enjoyed tonight's episode, but it didn't have as many hysterical moments as last week's. I hope they keep Milana Vayntrub's character around, the youtube "talk show" she used to co-host is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
If you didn't find the line "you just brought piss to a shitfight you little oval office" hilarious, there's something very wrong.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is it strange that there's nothing regarding Evan Welch's death post credits? I was expecting something.

Other than that, this episode was loving excellent. Dinesh is awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Is it strange that there's nothing regarding Evan Welch's death post credits? I was expecting something.

Other than that, this episode was loving excellent. Dinesh is awesome.

I'd love to see a screenshot of his pro/con list.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dinesh is great, and Zach Woods continues to demonstrate why he should be on every show.

Urdnot Fire posted:

At this point, they should just go whole-hog with it and just steadily ramp it up as the show goes on, like having him commit murder and treason.

He'd still be way more likable than Richard.
Okay, so maybe I wasn't expecting him to threaten and assault a child when I predicted this :stare:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Brock Samson posted:

Not gonna be the one to complain about "realisticness", but, ya know, source control.

- learn rails in one weekend: check
- build automation with Jenkins: check
- automated testing to find regressions: check
- source control: nah

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Erlich hitting and threatening children is the best

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I cracked up when he attacked that kid. That scene was hilarious

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

neckbeard posted:

If you didn't find the line "you just brought piss to a shitfight you little oval office" hilarious, there's something very wrong.

That was the best line on HBO last night.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Erlich hitting and threatening children is the best

The lead up to it, with "Are you crying" and Elrich going into den mother protecting the cubs rage, was just as awesome too.

I loved the Jared and Satanic baptism subplots too, this shows probably the funniest thing I'm watching right now.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Supremely disappointed a gif hasn't surfaced of Erlich backhanding the kid. I was laughing so hard I completely missed that he called him a "little oval office". It's clear now that Erlich is the superstar of this show.

Aside from the inexplicably hot girlfriend, Gilfoyle strikes me as a pretty spot-on smug nerd. Though he'd more likely be an r/atheism type than a Satanist.

I kind of hope Zach Woods gets stuck on Bioshock Island for the remainder of the season and Richard has to manage the company to the live demo by himself.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Truly the Pakistani Denzel.

grading essays nude posted:

Supremely disappointed a gif hasn't surfaced of Erlich backhanding the kid. I was laughing so hard I completely missed that he called him a "little oval office". It's clear now that Erlich is the superstar of this show.

Edit: and the rear end in a top hat kid for good measure:

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 12, 2014

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I thought the whole bit about parking and Chik-fil-a at the end of the Satanic Ritual was pretty great as well.

"Now I know they're a Christian Right owned company but drat if they don't make tasty sandwiches"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

You get in that loving house and get me five adderal or I'll slit your loving throat, kill your mother, rape your father and curb stomp that little face so hard that your teeth will go FlYING. FIVE ADDERAL, you little poo poo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
looked like zach woods is right back in the main story in the preview for next episode so I'm guessing his getting stuck on the island is going to be quickly explained away or ignored entirely either way, that won't detract from the hilarity of the whole thing

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
So was Peter Gregory's phone call him choking on a sesame seed?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

holy poo poo, how did they get tanner foust for this! :haw:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

neckbeard posted:

That line was the funniest of the night and I will be stealing it for future use.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thathonkey posted:

looked like zach woods is right back in the main story in the preview for next episode so I'm guessing his getting stuck on the island is going to be quickly explained away or ignored entirely either way, that won't detract from the hilarity of the whole thing

I loved his tentative "M-Mr. Car?"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Well yeah, you gotta be polite when speaking to our New Robot Overlords.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tbp posted:

I cracked up when he attacked that kid. That scene was hilarious

It reminded me of the scene from Bad Santa in all the best ways.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I also liked that the scream at the end of the episode means he can actually convey an emotion *other* than complete passivity. Can't wait to see him *actually* lose it.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

thathonkey posted:

- learn rails in one weekend: check
- build automation with Jenkins: check
- automated testing to find regressions: check
- source control: nah

It sounded like the kid modified the database schema and messed up, which could be hard (or at least time consuming) to roll back even with source control. Assuming you actually had something important in that database, which seems kinda unlikely since they haven't actually launched or even demoed anything yet.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

grading essays nude posted:

Aside from the inexplicably hot girlfriend, Gilfoyle strikes me as a pretty spot-on smug nerd. Though he'd more likely be an r/atheism type than a Satanist.

LaVeyan Satanists actually are pretty much smug atheists.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evensevenone posted:

It sounded like the kid modified the database schema and messed up, which could be hard (or at least time consuming) to roll back even with source control. Assuming you actually had something important in that database, which seems kinda unlikely since they haven't actually launched or even demoed anything yet.

Yeah, how does one gently caress up a program accidentally that quickly and completely?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

zoux posted:

Yeah, how does one gently caress up a program accidentally that quickly and completely?

Adderal and Mountain Dew high I'm guessing? I also know absolutely nothing about coding or programming or whatever he was doing.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012
Dudes, it's a Mike Judge show, not a documentary.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The problem is that they've done a great job of using real ideas and products (agile development, Jenkins, Chef), but those are all products that would help prevent the big plot point of that kid doing irreparable damage to the codebase. It's something you wouldn't blink an eye at on another show, but they seem pretty careful to at least pander a little to developers in the audience. They just made that subset of the audience collectively groan.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Erwin posted:

The problem is that they've done a great job of using real ideas and products (agile development, Jenkins, Chef), but those are all products that would help prevent the big plot point of that kid doing irreparable damage to the codebase. It's something you wouldn't blink an eye at on another show, but they seem pretty careful to at least pander a little to developers in the audience. They just made that subset of the audience collectively groan.

If they gave him access to the live database and he was messing with the DDLs again, he could have easily just done some absolutely hosed up migration and misplaced some data. What I assumed they were trying to illustrate was that the kid basically nuked their production databaase in some way, and then when Richard started to work backwards, he realized that everything the kid had written was absolute garbage. It's the kind of five-alarm shitstorm I've personally see go down with a small/startup team where everyone is trying to/allowed to do everything.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012
To each his own. I'd rather get a funny show with interesting characters and plot* at the occasional cost of realistic technology goings on, rather than having them get hung up on making it 100% believable—especially when nobody bats an eye at a guy being shanghaied in self-driving car and shipped on a self-steering boat to a man-made island in the middle of nowhere.

*To be fair, I didn't think that particular plot was especially interesting since it was resolved in a matter of minutes of screen time, but the general point stands.

Edit: Put another way, the realistic products and ideas are there to give the show an air of authenticity that lead the viewer to ignore the "botched" tech specifics when necessary for the greater good of the show. You're doing yourself a disservice by getting hung up on it.

Cranbe fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 13, 2014

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

As a guy who isn't a nerd coder, I find the show to be highly enjoyable and extremely engaging. Please don't nitpick the coding or you might as well complain about all the ways Games of Thrones isn't exactly like the books, thanks.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 13, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Man, that Carver sub-plot was terrible. It felt as if it was there to fill the show's buzzword/tech-speak quota. Even the premise of an employer pretending to getting hacked rather than admit that they hired a lovely teenage developer is so terribly ridiculous that I don't even have to think if messing up the database makes sense or not (kinda does).

The rest of the episode was great though, and the writers should not be afraid to do some non-tech related episodes.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 13, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

old dog child posted:

As a guy who isn't a nerd coder, I find the show to be highly enjoyable and extremely engaging. Please don't nitpick the coding or you might as well complain about all the ways Games of Thrones isn't exactly like the books, thanks.

I think the medical inaccuracies on House are a more apt comparison.

That said, I'm simply charmed that the goons in this thread have actually explained why version control may not have mattered. As a (not that good) web developer I rarely, if ever, touch the db unless absolutely necessary because, yes, that there can gently caress some poo poo right up.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

old dog child posted:

As a guy who isn't a nerd coder, I find the show to be highly enjoyable and extremely engaging.
Its not a nitpick, it's simply not possible to jack up source code like that as everyone uses version control systems that *at worst* could revert all the changes in moments.

There are countless details that can be there only to appeal to people in the industry, things like this undo that work.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

wooger posted:

Its not a nitpick, it's simply not possible to jack up source code like that as everyone uses version control systems that *at worst* could revert all the changes in moments.

There are countless details that can be there only to appeal to people in the industry, things like this undo that work.

Even if your DDL schema definitions are stored in source control, and even if you track your migrations in source control, an idiot doing a series of unmonitored migrations while on drugs could really wreck your app. Now imagine if you only stored the schema definitions in source control but not the migration scripts and someone wrecks it. You'd definitely tear your hair out migrating your schema backwards from what you currently have to what you originally had and it'd be really really irritating and time consuming but not necessarily impossible.

...which is basically what they showed on the show. It's not far fetched.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

Even if your DDL schema definitions are stored in source control, and even if you track your migrations in source control, an idiot doing a series of unmonitored migrations while on drugs could really wreck your app. Now imagine if you only stored the schema definitions in source control but not the migration scripts and someone wrecks it. You'd definitely tear your hair out migrating your schema backwards from what you currently have to what you originally had and it'd be really really irritating and time consuming but not necessarily impossible.

...which is basically what they showed on the show. It's not far fetched.

Well, I for one now enjoy this show that much more.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
They got that "what the gently caress" feeling right. Watching The Carver screw up the database gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach.

You can really, really screw up code revision. I worked with a dude who had like, a bunch of different branches named "lab.machine1", "lab.machine2", and so on. Every workspace was somehow interconnected to all the others in a weird way, so that it wasn't really possible to merge differences. There were so many reverts and dependences that it was impossible to isolate changes to a single feature. And when we asked him what was where, he was just like "i forgot" :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here are a few ways in which a bunch of kids under huge pressure and no management could let this happen:
  • They don't necessarily use source control at all (see the coding horrors thread in CoC).
  • Their source control can be folders named app_v1, app_v1.1, etc (same).
  • Whatever backup they have wasn't actually working.
  • The last stable snapshot can be from a few days ago, or hell, at that pace, even the same morning.
  • Whatever Carver's hosed up wasn't covered by source control, which seems to be the case with their DB/platform stuff.

I think a few buzzwords seemed suspicious to me at the time but in general no problems with believability. Thought this was a pretty good episode overall too, even though the AV Club gave it a B- :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Who was that playing the Satanic priest? He seemed really familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Sweet, only took 10 pages into the thread for the sperging to ensue.

Great show though!

• Locked thread