Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Psychobabble! posted:

Shiba owner here. If you hold out for perfectly updated websites you won't have much luck. As someone else mentioned, its pretty typical for breeders to have outdated websites. What I did, and what I recommend, is going to your states breed club page and emailing pretty much everyone. I would check out their websites if they have them to make sure their dogs are appealing to you and they do health testing and register with a registry like OFA (if they're a member of the breed club they SHOULD health test. If it doesnt say on the website or if they dont have a website, you can always ask). I hate calling on the phone so I sent out emails to everyone who appealed to me (I believe like 7 different breeders), asking if they were expecting any litters in the next 6~ months and that I was interested in a red female. Short and sweet. Its generally considered bad form (afaik) to ask about price in the first email, since it seems like you're price hunting. Also don't hold them not having a website against them, one of the best breeders in the NW doesnt have one, and pretty much every breeder up here either has one of her dogs or has bred with one. I got a response from her just through email.

From there I would chat with the breeders that were expecting a litter in my time frame a bit about why I wanted a shiba, my knowledge of the breed, what I planned to do with the puppy while I was at work, stuff like that, as any reputable breeder will want to know what kind of home you plan to give their puppy. You don't want to go with a breeder who will just let you put cash down.

After you have made contact with a promising breeder, you should ask if you could come visit the parents (and puppies if they're already born), that way you can feel out their living situation and the temperament of the parents. This is super important, as puppies will generally have a similar temperament to their parents. The breeder we went to, as well as a whole ring of breeders locally, was specifically trying to breed away from lovely shiba temperament so we ended up with a very affectionate, very sweet anti shiba. I recommend you try to find someone similar. This should be obvious, but in case it isn't, walk away if the breeder won't let you meet the parents, or if they mention anything about being human or dog aggressive. Dog aggression is pretty common in shibas so going to someone who breeds for temperament is VERY IMPORTANT. I can't stress that part enough. Also really cool, our breeder let us come visit every weekend from when they were 3.5 weeks old until she came home at 7 weeks. I feel like it really helped her adjust to living with us, she didnt cry or whine at all when she finally came home. Its also really cool to watch them develop :3:.

Another thing that you can do to feel out breeders is go to shiba meet ups and dog shows and talk to people and get recommendations. Hope this helps, feel free to post specific breeders in here and we can try to help judge them(ideally after you've found a breeder who is expecting a little within your timeframe). If you need any shiba related help feel free to post here or message me and I can try my best to help (I'm far from an expert though and I've been very lucky as my puppy has been very easy).

Right on, thanks for all the info! (And thank you to everyone else as well!)
I'll be going through all the breeders I found again gathering numbers, I'll post 'em here too.

This was the place I was really looking at, I've seen a few good things about them, but there's no number on their site :( http://www.balihai-shibas.com/

I sent them an email a while back, but they never responded.

Oh wait! The email address I got from the NY Shiba Club site was different from the one they have on their site, I'll shoot that address an email.

Cute as heck fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I wrote this to my friend

quote:

the thing that bugs me about dominance theory is:
- we have to ignore the fact that the scientific evidence that it is based on has been proved untrue many times (and in fact the guy who started the whole thing, David Mech, is trying to get his book that talks about this taken out of print / circulation)
- we have to ignore the fact that the scientific evidence that has been disproved also had to do with captive wolves and not wild wolves
- we then have to remember that captive wolves and wild wolves behave differently regardless
- we then have to remember that wild wolves and wild dogs behave differently
- we then have to remember that wild dogs and domesticated dogs behave differently
- we then have to remember that disproved evidence pertaining to behaviours of captive wolves really therefore has nothing to do with behaviours of domesticated dogs and that further

"[w/r/t dominance theory] This assumes that dogs are able to form an abstract concept of their own ‘status’, relate this to the relative status of others, and plan future events with the aim of modifying their relative hierarchical position. This type of thinking is actually very anthropomorphic (from a human point of view) – because we have language and an enlarged frontal cortex that enables us to form and ‘name’ abstract ideas, it is difficult for us to imagine not being able to ‘conceptualise’ using words. This is exactly the same principle as the argument that dogs which show appeasement behaviour when owners return home to find house-soiling or destruction feel ‘guilty’ because they recognise that they have done something ‘wrong’ according to a human code of behaviour. Recent research supports the general consensus amongst trainers and behaviourists that the behavioural signs interpreted by owners as ‘guilt’ are a learnt response to a context (such as an angry owner facial expression) rather than an awareness in the dog of a misdeed (Horowitz 2009)."

so when a dog misbehaves it isn't because it "feels entitled" to something the same way that a human would, it's because it hasn't been trained to know that it shouldn't behave that way. So any "misbehaviour" really is a crime of opportunity because it might KNOW it's wrong or it might just think it's okay. When people want to train dogs using dominance theory and eat before the dog or go through the door before the dog the dog doesn't realize that it is a "beta" dog - it just knows that it will get fed or rewarded via entry to wherever AFTER the owner does it (which is the same as "nothing is for free" training).

I appreciate input from people but dominance theory is bullshit and dogs don't think they're alpha because I am not a dog and alpha doesn't exist unless you're a pack animal that is being forced into a foreign pack of similar animals who all understand the same body language and mannerisms and are fighting over the same resources.

http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/why-not-dominance.php
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090521112711.htm

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I love my dog but the last 2 days have been just absolutely stressful. She has just been an out of control terror the last couple of days, doing things she hasnt so far. She chewed through 2 leashes despite having plenty of bones, kongs, etc given to her. She's been pulling on the leash like crazy all the time and has suddenly decided that everything that moves outside has to be barked out and lunged towards. I'm just at my wits end and am not looking forward to her long walks this week if this is how she is going to be. I just dont know what to do. She has still been getting plenty of exercise at least 2 hours a day. She's a little better with her gentle leader on but not much and I'm afraid she is going to twist her neck to much. If I just have the regular leash and collar on forget it. She practically does back flips going for falling leaves and squirrels.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I love my dog but the last 2 days have been just absolutely stressful. She has just been an out of control terror the last couple of days, doing things she hasnt so far. She chewed through 2 leashes despite having plenty of bones, kongs, etc given to her. She's been pulling on the leash like crazy all the time and has suddenly decided that everything that moves outside has to be barked out and lunged towards. I'm just at my wits end and am not looking forward to her long walks this week if this is how she is going to be. I just dont know what to do. She has still been getting plenty of exercise at least 2 hours a day. She's a little better with her gentle leader on but not much and I'm afraid she is going to twist her neck to much. If I just have the regular leash and collar on forget it. She practically does back flips going for falling leaves and squirrels.

How long have you had her? Was the change very sudden? Did anything unusual happen in the days before this sudden change?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Time for training classes! In the interim, pick up Control Unleashed: Puppy by Leslie McDevitt to help you get a handle on things. At home keep her gated away from things you don't want destroyed and provide her plenty of long lasting edibles (not just chews) to help keep yourself sane at home. Learn to predict the stuff that makes her crazy and intervene with food beforehand, then increase distance.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

How long have you had her? Was the change very sudden? Did anything unusual happen in the days before this sudden change?

I've had her about a month now and the change was out of nowhere just in the last two days. The only thing I can think has changed is that there is a neighbor dog that just moved in and barks non-stop. It's not super loud but you can hear it if there isnt a TV/radio on. I've never heard my dog join in though and she still seems very quiet overall.

a life less posted:

Time for training classes! In the interim, pick up Control Unleashed: Puppy by Leslie McDevitt to help you get a handle on things. At home keep her gated away from things you don't want destroyed and provide her plenty of long lasting edibles (not just chews) to help keep yourself sane at home. Learn to predict the stuff that makes her crazy and intervene with food beforehand, then increase distance.

I desperately want to take her to training classes but can't afford it yet until she has surgery for a fractured tooth. I will definitely pick up that book until then. Unfortunately I'm probably a month away from classes right now. The problem right now is that EVERYTHING seems to set her off outside on walks. Falling leaves, squirrels, birds, etc. But if I dont walk her she has to much energy. Just a viscous cycle. I think today I will take her to the dog part to run around for an hour and see if that helps. I was trying to avoid that place with her because she just doesnt know when to stop playing with the other dogs sometimes. Not that shes violent just that they want to take a breather and sniff around and she still chases after them.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I was trying to avoid that place with her because she just doesnt know when to stop playing with the other dogs sometimes. Not that shes violent just that they want to take a breather and sniff around and she still chases after them.

Sherlock does this. I pick him up and we leave when it becomes clear that even after a time-out he will not quit.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

The training megathread may help http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451

Start teaching your dog that good things happen when they offer you their attention. First, keep in mind two lists - one of Distraction Intensity and one of Reinforcement Intensity.

Some things are low on the DI scale. Being in a boring windowless room with you will probably be about a 1 on the list of distractions. Being in the living room may be a 2. A car horn may be a 3. A dropped cookie may be an 8. A squirrel may be a 10. A strange dog may be a 10. Being outside at a park with leaves and squirrels and dogs and smells and kids and... may be a 100.

For your RI list, a pat or verbal praise may be a 2, kibble a 3, a ball a 4, hotdogs an 8, playing with another dog may be a 10.

As distractions pile up, you need to offer more reinforcement for good behaviour. If too many distractions pile up, you may never be able to offer reinforcement that will trump them. You can start lowering the intensity of distractions via training self control and building up a history of reinforcement for paying attention to you.

So, start slow. Work on focus inside. Then maybe work on it inside but near the front door. Then work on it inside but with the door open. Then work on it just outside the front door. Gradually start adding complexity as she gets better at paying attention to you. Don't leap from working in your bedroom to working at a park. Your behaviour will fall apart if you ask for too much too fast.

In the interim, do what you've been doing and use your gentle leader. Try your very, very best not to let her lunge while on it because it can injure the dog pretty seriously. Keep a pocket full of awesome treats and be mindful of distractions. Consider other ways to tire her out like ball, tug or a flirt pole. Training sessions can also tire a dog out, but don't work for too long on any one thing or else you'll overwhelm her.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
If you're really worried about her injuring herself with the gentle leader, you could also try switching to a front-clip harness. I'm mostly experienced with gentle leaders because that's what the shelter I walk dogs for uses, but I opted for the front-clip harness for my young dog because she'll occasionally take off after something and hit the end of the leash pretty hard. It works really well for us and I don't have to worry so much about her injuring herself, which is very nice.

Also, it's not really that uncommon for shelter dogs (I'm guessing you adopted her, from the sound of things?) to have a personality shift after a few weeks in a new home, so that might be all that's going on. Some of them get kind of shut down in the stress of moving homes and spending time in the scary shelter environment, and then once they get comfortable in their new homes they start "acting up" (for lack of a better term) more. If you start working on the stuff ALL suggested now and get her into a training class ASAP, I doubt it will be a big deal in the long run.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Frodo got fixed on Wednesday, and because he's hell bent on licking his sutures he gets a bucket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Uy5v2SdyE

The only problem with the bucket is that having a giant satellite dish on his face appears to have made his hearing better, because he'll hear the neighbours talking outside at night and wake me up by barking at them. Barking has never really been a problem with him (he's a pretty quiet dog, and he can't bark that loudly anyway), so I'm not sure whether to do anything about it or just bear with it until he gets the bucket off.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Imagining your cone head dog's hearing improving due to cone makes me laugh.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012
Is Post Puppy Depression a "thing"?

If so, I think my wife has it. Maybe even me a tiny bit.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Downhome posted:

Is Post Puppy Depression a "thing"?

If so, I think my wife has it. Maybe even me a tiny bit.

Did I miss something??

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012

luscious posted:

Did I miss something??

No. You know how some women get postpartum depression after having a baby? Just wondering if such a thing technically exists after getting a puppy.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Downhome posted:

No. You know how some women get postpartum depression after having a baby? Just wondering if such a thing technically exists after getting a puppy.

PPD is a hormonal thing, so unless your wife gave birth to your puppy, you're both just tired and stressed.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012

HazCat posted:

PPD is a hormonal thing, so unless your wife gave birth to your puppy, you're both just tired and stressed.

No, I get that, I've been around women with that before. I'm not saying the same thing exactly. Just, I'm wondering if it's normal or somewhat common for some new puppy owners to go through the same sort of thing. The overwhelming nature of the entire thing. It hasn't been so bad for me, but it's been crazy for my wife. To the point of tears a time or two. This isn't our first dog either, and isn't my wife's first in door dog. She had one years ago and they got it very young, around 5-6 weeks, and they instantly let it have free roam and was newspaper trained in a weekend. With Betty she is requiring constant supervision right now. I know that's normal for a young puppy, but still, my wife is having a hard time with all the changes.

I was just wondering if that can be normal, that's all.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm kind of confused still. Your wife wants to have a baby now that you have a puppy (who is still a tiny puppy and hasn't grown)? Like I could understand if puppy turns into a dog and she's sad because there's no tiny puppy and therefore wants a new puppy. Or she's depressed now that you HAVE a puppy? I just don't really understand what you're asking / getting at but maybe I'm just dense and incredibly literal :shrug:

edit:

Missed your last post :shobon:

I think that stress and being tired is what's happening. It happened to me, as well. PPD is reallllly different than that and is actual depression and hormones. She's just tired and stressed or is suffering from depression that was triggered by puppy. If it's really a lot maybe you should consider either returning the puppy or taking more responsibility and giving her a break from it. Alternatively, crate the puppy more (they sleep a LOT) and tether the puppy to you so she doesn't have to supervise as much.

At 6 months I'm confident with leaving Sherlock uncrated while I do other things (including working in a room with a closed door) but always crate him when I go out. My house is very puppy proofed so I don't worry and check on him every 30 min to an hour so there is an end in sight. X-pen in the area that you're in will work so you don't have to have her crated all the time. Finding ways to take the strain off for her would just be (imo) crating more and making her shoulder less responsibility until she's feeling better.

luscious fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 10, 2014

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Stress and that "oh god what have we done" feeling is totally normal, especially after getting a puppy. It's a huge commitment and responsibility. It changes your whole routine. Most people get over it once they're settled and used to it. Even when I brought my extremely well-behaved adult dog from my mom's house to live with me I had that "oh god was this a good idea" moment. But now I wouldn't have it any other way. He gives me a good reason to get off my rear end and get outside every day.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Yeah, I just got a new adult dog (I already had 3) and he's so much less work than my reactive difficult dog and I'm already used to adapting my schedule to my dogs' crazy needs and all that good stuff, and I still feel kind of exhausted about the whole situation and have wondered a couple of times if it was a good idea even though there's nothing actually going wrong and he's even helping my crazy dog a bit, but it's one more dog to walk and train and all. Feeling exhausted and stressed and somewhat overwhelmed is pretty common when you first get a dog, especially with puppies who require a ton of work, and doubly so if you've lucked out with easy dogs in the past and then get a more typical one.

Dogs kind of suck, is I guess what I'm saying. The pros usually outweigh the cons, but there are still a lot of cons and it takes some getting used to.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hana, 1 week old:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hana, 1 week old:

That is a very cute fuzzy slug!
Are you/the breeder flopping or cropping? If it's even legal where you are.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's legal and we're undecided. The breeder will do it, should we decide to crop.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012
Earlier tonight my wife and I decided to go out together for the first time since we adopted Betty, our 9 week old Boston Terrier puppy. Clancy, our two year old Siberian Forrest Cat loves playing with Betty and they are best buddies. We have a Dropcam set up in the living room and when we got home tonight we decided to check it to see what happened. Well, Betty started barking almost as soon as we left (he put her in her crate in our bedroom). As soon as Betty started barking Clancy got up and walked to the bedroom door and after a short while of listening to Betty bark, well, just take a look... After this, for the next three hours or so Betty didn't so much as make a single time and Clancy came back to the living room and slept on the coffee table for almost the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxbz5qxOfJ4

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's legal and we're undecided. The breeder will do it, should we decide to crop.

Ugh I'm normally not very keen on ear cropping but Danes just look so drat nice with them

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
No way, floppy-eared Danes are the best. :colbert: I think it suits them better.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Agree with non-cropped looking better. Also apparently they're soft and super expressive and cropping takes a lot of that away - especially if it isn't being done for actual non-cosmetic reasons. As well, the cleaning and taping routine seems annoying and gross. It's unnecessary - why put everyone through that?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
JoJo has started going for the door as soon as I put the leash on and I find that adorable. :3:

She's also got a bit of a biting problem, though. Not enough to hurt, but she's still young. Hoping we can break her of the habit before it gets where she can cause damage just from being playful.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How big is she going to get?

e: Oh pit mix... yeah guess you'll have to redirect that poo poo.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 12, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She's not a pit mix, she's Pyranees/Anatolian. The older ones we saw were at the breeder's house were fairly big.

Speaking of which, I learned today that the breeder we got her from was actually convicted of animal cruelty at one point(our new landlord is the sheriff), but I don't know what exactly it was. We had no idea about that at the time we got her. I'm mad at having given them money but happy we got her away from there. :(

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Abutiu posted:

Are you rewarding her for coming to you/getting the leash put on, or just taking her outside once you've got it clipped on? Do you ever put it on, reward her, then take it right off and let her go again?

Coming back to say thank you for this advice! She's been coming when called for "leash" nearly every time. Today I clipped it on her twice, and she didn't shy-pee either time. She's also been free of the pen since Saturday morning. Tomorrow will be the first day when she gets the run of the living room all day while my fiancée and I are both at work.

So far her overnight transgressions have been pretty mild (surprising since we don't really provide her with much to do at night). So far she's neatly opened the zipper on a pillow case and torn the tag off of the pillow inside. :iiam:

I hope the worst of it is over :pray:. She's been a really sweet dog over the last 4 days.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

This is Louie. He's a little over a year old bassett-beagle mix whose owners returned him to the shelter after they let him get too fat. I think at his heaviest he was pushing 45 lbs, but as of 3 weeks ago he was down to 38. Interests include flopping on the kitchen floor after walks.

Overall he's adjusting to his new environment really well. No accidents since the first couple of days & he's sleeping through the night, though I did have to get some plastic channeling for my speaker cable after he chewed through it while I was at work.

I did want to see if anyone had tips on calming him down, though this might be better for the training thread. Last night he saw a rabbit in our back yard (he was inside with us) and got really keyed up for an hour or so. I know it's probably unrealistic to expect him to not bark at rabbits, but no matter what we tried (toys, treats, attention) he kept going back & howling through the door even though the rabbit was long gone. He had just gotten back from a long walk. It hasn't happened before -he actually saw one on our walk this morning & pulled a bit but didn't bark once- but I was wondering what the best course of action would be if it happens again. Should I have let him outside so he could catch the scent? I've done that before and he sniffed and barked for a few minutes but not nearly this long.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

The Bunk posted:

This is Louie. He's a little over a year old bassett-beagle mix whose owners returned him to the shelter after they let him get too fat. I think at his heaviest he was pushing 45 lbs, but as of 3 weeks ago he was down to 38. Interests include flopping on the kitchen floor after walks.

Overall he's adjusting to his new environment really well. No accidents since the first couple of days & he's sleeping through the night, though I did have to get some plastic channeling for my speaker cable after he chewed through it while I was at work.

I did want to see if anyone had tips on calming him down, though this might be better for the training thread. Last night he saw a rabbit in our back yard (he was inside with us) and got really keyed up for an hour or so. I know it's probably unrealistic to expect him to not bark at rabbits, but no matter what we tried (toys, treats, attention) he kept going back & howling through the door even though the rabbit was long gone. He had just gotten back from a long walk. It hasn't happened before -he actually saw one on our walk this morning & pulled a bit but didn't bark once- but I was wondering what the best course of action would be if it happens again. Should I have let him outside so he could catch the scent? I've done that before and he sniffed and barked for a few minutes but not nearly this long.

You can eventually teach him to calm down and you certainly don't want him thinking any time he sees a thing outside you let him out- he'll start probably asking to go out and or expecting it. If you can block his line of sight while you work on that, it might be good. Taking him to another room and doing something distracting when he gets wound up, or just putting him somewhere he can't see or howl at it might also work.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

I am thinking about getting a dog from the local pound. I went to the pound, and looked at some of them. I found one who I want to spring out and pay his bail.

My only concern is, I would have to pay his bail today(which I can cover), I'd have to pay the dog deposit(which I can cover), and then go get him tomorrow. I have a crate on order from Amazon, and it should arrive tomorrow, but I will have to put it together.

Also, what should I get/do for him on the first day? I looked for a shelter/pound thread, but couldn't find it.

I have grown up with dogs for my entire life, and have gone about two years without one. I want to have another four legged friend that is happy to see me.

I am in a little bit of a rush with this one, because he has already been at the pound for a month, and I am afraid that he might not be there for much longer. :(

The dog in question.

Thanks

Colt Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 22, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Colt Cannon posted:

I am thinking about getting a dog from the local pound. I went to the pound, and looked at some of them. I found one who I want to spring out and pay his bail.

My only concern is, I would have to pay his bail today(which I can cover), I'd have to pay the dog deposit(which I can cover), and then go get him tomorrow. I have a crate on order from Amazon, and it should arrive tomorrow, but I will have to put it together.

Also, what should I get/do for him on the first day? I looked for a shelter/pound thread, but couldn't find it.

I have grown up with dogs for my entire life, and have gone about two years without one. I want to have another four legged friend that is happy to see me.

I am in a little bit of a rush with this one, because he has already been at the pound for a month, and I am afraid that he might not be there for much longer. :(

The dog in question.

Thanks

Food bowl, water bowl, kong toy ready to fill with peanut butter, a rawhide roll or a bully stick, and some tasty small sized treats. Oh some nice cheap toys and quality bland dog food - never know what he's going to like or dislike - try an animal thing with a squeaker, try a tug rope, try a plain tennis ball. If the shelter gives you nothing else. Oh and a cute leash and collar maybe an ID tag if you have a name already. The crate will take no time to 'put together', they usually unfold and snap in about 30 seconds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We got a new ~9-10 month old border collie mix pup to keep our 9-10 month black lab company since our older dog passed away. He's a darling but he seriously wolfs his food down like there's no tomorrow. Anything other than "large inedible objects in the bowl with his kibble" I should be doing? He seriously goes at it as if he's trying to finish his entire bowl in one gulp.

And obviously I'm doing things like tennis balls that he won't wolf down by accident.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

You can get irregularly shaped bowls to slow him down too. You can try practicing calmness and self control around a food bowl, feed by hand, etc, but it'll take some time.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

We got a new ~9-10 month old border collie mix pup to keep our 9-10 month black lab company since our older dog passed away. He's a darling but he seriously wolfs his food down like there's no tomorrow. Anything other than "large inedible objects in the bowl with his kibble" I should be doing? He seriously goes at it as if he's trying to finish his entire bowl in one gulp.

And obviously I'm doing things like tennis balls that he won't wolf down by accident.

Feed him by hand for a few weeks. We had to do this with Nyx to work on her resource guarding and it seemed to have slowed her eating down.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

It's also nice because you can do obedience training while she's eating her meal. Two in one!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can also feed in a metal chpcake tray and put small amounts in each cupcake form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Martytoof posted:

My Shiba puppy is the same way, so we feed her out of treat dispensing toys. We started her out with the IQ ball, but she's pretty smart so she got that thing worked out pretty fast, so we moved her up to the Buster Cube(you'd want the larger size on both btw). It's nice because then she has to work for her food so it gets out some of that puppy energy, and it slows her down because they only dispense a few kibbles at a time. If you wanted to go this route you could probably just start with the buster cube since it's a BC mix so it should figure it out fast. Warning, if you have hardwood floors and/or feed on hardwood floors, because the buster cube is plastic it is pretty noisy. I don't notice it on carpet though.

You can also stuff a kong with kibble and peanut butter, which I did for a while but I didn't like all the extra calories/fat.