Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

metaxus posted:

Just disposed of some more disposable income... I really am working hard to become the crazy Hi-Fi lady.

Bought a lovely little 4W per channel single-ended class A tube amp (uses a pair of FU32 tetrodes and a 6N2 dual triode) from a Chinese seller on eBay:

Your setup looks like it'll be awesome. Do you have links on more info for tube n00bs such as myself? How much do these run from Chinese ebay sellers? I've been satisfied with my Marantz 2226B + KEF C30 setup, but I'd be curious about some upgrades when they look this pretty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've ordered a bunch of capacitors to fix this old radio. I hope it works.
I've been sanding the cabinet so I can refinish it while I wait for the parts to come in.

2014-73 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
My parts came in and I'm almost done sanding and stripping this thing.

2014-74 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Is there such a thing as a reliable, non-crappy portable turntable? I've always been interested in picking one up, but it seems like the only manufacturer I hear about these days is Crosley (which doesn't carry a very good reputation from what I've heard).

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

this is looking pretty fantastic

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

mia2000 posted:

Is there such a thing as a reliable, non-crappy portable turntable? I've always been interested in picking one up, but it seems like the only manufacturer I hear about these days is Crosley (which doesn't carry a very good reputation from what I've heard).

If you want something with speakers and battery powered, the Numark PT01 has gotten decent reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Numark-PT01-Portable-DJ-Turntable/dp/B0002ABOFS

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 7, 2014

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

mia2000 posted:

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/detail.php?cate_id=84

Yermaw Zahoor fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 8, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I never understood the demand for a portable turntable. Where are you going to take it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I never understood the demand for a portable turntable. Where are you going to take it?

To places where you buy records perhaps?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
For demoing records? Most stores have their own tables set up for that. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just really don't see the use case for one.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The Vestax Handy Trax VS. Numark PT01 war rages on.

E: I find them most useful for the more low key record fairs and antique store type places. Also listening to 78s in the back yard. (78 stylus not included as bought)

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 8, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

For demoing records? Most stores have their own tables set up for that. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just really don't see the use case for one.

Yes most stores do. Most yard sales etc. don't.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Excuse me sir, mind if I play these 10cent records before I buy them?

Nothing wrong with portable but if you are gonna do it with class.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_sh12e_hs_704_chassis.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooLShack posted:

Excuse me sir, mind if I play these 10cent records before I buy them?

Many collectors do it because it's actually pretty darn dumb to buy a 10 cent record that doesn't play. You're literally paying ten cents to take someone else's garbage and turn it into your own garbage.

That being said I've never done it :shrug:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Vestax? Numark? Nu-uh.

Sony PS-F5 or PS-F9 all the way... Portable, battery powered, linear tracking, and actual hi-fi. Good luck finding one though. :(

(Tube amp arrived yesterday. Expect an update soon.)

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
If it's 10 cents and doesn't look like rear end, I just buy the drat thing. Testing quality of yard sale records just seems insane to me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I would hope that anyone who brought a portable record player to a yard sale would get the worlds biggest wedgie

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TooLShack posted:

If it's 10 cents and doesn't look like rear end, I just buy the drat thing. Testing quality of yard sale records just seems insane to me.

Yeah, what the hell? If it doesn't play, just throw it away. Records are pretty resilient and even the scuffed-uppest ones will likely play all the way through.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

TomR posted:

This looks absolutely amazing. You should seriously consider starting a thread just for this restoration.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Tom that radio is coming along nicely.

I had a pretty nice find yesterday, a Pioneer A-90, a 200W beast from the 80s. Was getting low volume, but after moving the stereo/mono switch a bit it came back in. So on the bench it went for a deoxit job, which sucked since this amp has a lot crammed into it. Anyways enjoy the pictures and be amazed by the copper frame that I wish could be seen all the time.

Oh and it came with a bunch of records.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
That Pioneer looks really nice. Thank for the positive feedback about the radio guys. I'm going to try and take a lot of photos as I fix it up. Right now I'm letting it air out because it smells like paint stripper. My parts did come in though.

2014-75 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I started working on replacing some of them. Amazing how much smaller the new parts are compared to the old ones.

2014-76 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Also I was out today and picked this up for $25.

2014-77 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2014-78 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2014-79 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

The record player is missing it's dust cover and the needle is all messed up. I'm not sure how to replace it or what to get.

Edit: Power supply capacitors in place. I may redo the black wire job. It's a lot easier to see in the picture how I didn't get the solder in very good.

2014-80 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 10, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That cartridge looks like a p-mount type. You could get any kind of replacement p-mount cartridge. The Shure M92E is a pretty decent budget option (~$30)

I found that when soldering tiny wires, it helps to get a flux pen and dab the wire ends in flux. It basically wicks the solder right into the wires.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks for the info. I'll look into getting one.

Old radio works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDCvVBQyEkg

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can anyone identify this amp, or speak generally about Panasonic equipment? I'm not familiar with Panasonic really and I don't know if it's worth pursuing.
http://grandisland.craigslist.org/ele/4465318904.html

edit: I think I found it right after posting. An SU-363. It doesn't look that good and I don't really need the other components so I won't bother.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 12, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

No, I wouldn't for that price, $20-30 maybe for a garage system.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there a go-to old turntable or turntables that can be found for $100 or less? My girlfriend wants a turntable to replace her busted old one but I can't really feel comfortable getting any old POS, and I simultaneously know there isn't much need to spend more on something better due to the rest of her playback chain and my expectation that she isn't going to want to buy a record brush and stylus cleaner and all that.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
You can get some decently nice Stantons for pretty cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STANTON-STR8-60-DIRECT-DRIVE-TURNTABLE-PROFESSIONAL-DG-TURNTABLE-WORKS-/111345269047

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Is there a go-to old turntable or turntables that can be found for $100 or less? My girlfriend wants a turntable to replace her busted old one but I can't really feel comfortable getting any old POS, and I simultaneously know there isn't much need to spend more on something better due to the rest of her playback chain and my expectation that she isn't going to want to buy a record brush and stylus cleaner and all that.

Anything by Technics would probably be pretty solid. There are really so many to choose from, it's almost better to narrow down a selection from what's available in your area. Technics SL-23's are pretty common and fairly decent with a tiny bit of maintenance. You might be able to score something fancier like an SL-1300 for under $100.

Kenwood also made some good TTs but they are less common.

You'll probably come across some Dual turntables. The Dual 1229 or Dual 601 are good models (make sure these are in good working order, maintain speed, all auto functions work, etc. Duals are notoriously difficult to repair)

If you are really lucky, you might come across an old Thorens that isn't in too bad of shape.

Avoid anything that looks overly plastic.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
For the first time in years I actually found some stereo gear at a thrift store worth buying. For only $25 I got:

Matching Sansui amp and tuner, A-7 and T-7. They're not top of the line or anything (look to be early 1980s in design), but the faceplates are brushed aluminum at least and the amp had a pretty decent 45 wpc.

Cleaned up and everything seems to be working perfectly.

The tuner actually has something cool I haven't come across before - a motorized auto-search feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed_rMdAxaEk&hd=1

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
That's a really cool tuner. Nice looking pair too.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

That's a nice price for a decent direct drive deck.

I recently got a pair of Vestax PDX200s for £100 from a pawn shop. I sold one on ebay for the same price, giving me a free turntable. Yay! Had to buy a phono pre-amp though.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

This doesn't really count as vintage but I just found a near-perfect Marantz CD-5003 at Goodwill for $20! The thing works beautifully and sounds light years better than MP3s (note to self: purchase DAC).

Crappy picture:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

SteveMcQueen posted:

This doesn't really count as vintage but I just found a near-perfect Marantz CD-5003 at Goodwill for $20! The thing works beautifully and sounds light years better than MP3s (note to self: purchase DAC).

Crappy picture:

You're in the wrong thread.

Everybody post your stupidly ancient CD players. Bonus points for top loaders or stupid windows that let you see the disc spin.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Is it true that 80s and even early-mid 90s CD players had really lovely DACs in them, and you're better off getting a $20 DVD player from Walmart because DAC chips these days are all pretty much standardized anyhow?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Is it true that 80s and even early-mid 90s CD players had really lovely DACs in them, and you're better off getting a $20 DVD player from Walmart because DAC chips these days are all pretty much standardized anyhow?

No.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

BANME.sh posted:

Expensive CD players and DAC's mystify me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BANME.sh posted:

Some early Philips CD players used 14-bit DACs because Philips originally wanted the CDDA format to be 14-bit. Through clever oversampling and noise-shaping filters, these players achieved the same playback quality as their 16-bit equivalents. However, they were more expensive, and everyone went to true 16-bit a couple of years later.

The only people I have ever heard complain about early CD players in regards to sound quality are raging audiophiles. Of course some (cheap-rear end) players have lovely designs and clip or distort, but by and large, there will be no difference in sound quality between a 20-year-old CD player and a brand-new top-of-the-line CD player from Classe or Ayre or whichever other "high-end" brand you choose. The only measureable difference will be the THD on the analog outputs, and even then the difference will be minimal.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm having some bad luck. I traded some junk for a set of bookshelf speakers and they sounded great. A couple of days later my little Fisher amp died and took the speakers with it. Now the speakers are blown and the amp only makes a horrible static.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Dude that sucks, how is the radio coming along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It's looking pretty good. Needs another coat I think.

2014-81 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr