Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I would love to see an interview with Araki in regards to the anime. As far as I know, he at least approves, but I'd like to find out whether he thinks it's the best possible way to adapt his work or if it's just merely acceptable, whether he has, wants or doesn't any creative input, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Sekkira posted:

I would love to see an interview with Araki in regards to the anime. As far as I know, he at least approves, but I'd like to find out whether he thinks it's the best possible way to adapt his work or if it's just merely acceptable, whether he has, wants or doesn't any creative input, etc.

I know he has some input, I recall that David Production asked Araki if there's anything he wished he had done different that could be used in the anime. I don't think he's heavily involved, but I'm sure he has some sort of executive producer-type role where he sees it at a high level and gives some support as appropriate.

IIRC, creators generally have more legal control over spinoffs in Japan than in America, where they basically have to sign over the rights and hope they don't gently caress it up.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

BlitzBlast posted:

Animation error or world's most powerful camera? You decide.
Here it is from the manga for those who might have wondered:

I always thought Jotaro customised his hat himself. In the beginning of the manga his hat is even more bizarre, with a safety clip through the brim and a hole in the top with a big tuft of hair sticking out. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would happen by accident.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

When Star Platinum manifested, it also grew his hair quickly. The back of it grew through the threads in the back of the hat and up. Every time he turns his hat to the side, it's to get it back into a comfortable position again.

He hasn't mentioned this to anybody because he's too stoic and polite.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Araki probably doesn't have an opinion on the anime because I doubt that they ever watched it. Who would want to see a super faithful, warts and all adaptation of something you made 30 years ago? If Araki was actually involved in the show I think we'd see more stuff changed, Star Wars special edition style, but that would be a lot of work that I don't blame Araki for not wanting to do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Araki's seen the previous anime prior to this and been involved with the games the series is based on. Araki is someone who is very hands on with his series and will watch it make sure they did it right. I doubt he's worked on the anime with them, but he's almost definitely seen it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 11, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

There's a reason the previous Phantom Blood never even made out of the theaters

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Devil Tesla posted:

Araki probably doesn't have an opinion on the anime because I doubt that they ever watched it. Who would want to see a super faithful, warts and all adaptation of something you made 30 years ago? If Araki was actually involved in the show I think we'd see more stuff changed, Star Wars special edition style, but that would be a lot of work that I don't blame Araki for not wanting to do.

Except Araki is a cool guy, so your argument is invalid.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure that, if Araki has to like anything about the adaptation for Part 1 and 2, is the huge amount of pizazz the voice actors brought to the fore. I don't think they could have casted anyone as appropriately as they did when they put Takehito Koyasu as Dio. To date, when first hearing Koyasu on the 2012 trailer in regards to the rejection of his humanity, I pretty much knew that I was gonna stay on the wagon for good. :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Davi P did a better job at Phantom Blood than Araki did, I think it's safe to say he knows they know what they're doing.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I think, the proof being Jojonium, that while Araki likes what he did 30 years ago, he isn't as happy with his old art style and has the benifit of fixing up some glaring issues (that he sees) with it. I haven't read it, so I don't know how much it's changed beyond the art, but I like to think he still looks on it as still a product of its time and doesn't try to fix up plot points that become holes in later parts.

It seems to me he tosses caution to the wind when bringing things up that would cause plot holes as trying to explain them would hold the story back.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Araki straight up said if he were to write Phantom Blood at this point Jonathan's character would've been altered to have more faults and had more to do with his naïveté as a character. Araki does not care for Phantom Blood a ton, he doesn't resent what he did, but he was surprised when rereading that he wrote it. Most likely because Phantom Blood is a lot more serious in tone and half a horror story and half an action compared to literally every following part if the series.

Araki would rewrite stuff if he could go back and do it, he's a person who doesn't like some of the stuff he did looking back on it same as any other artist, same as any other writer. He doesn't hold some nostalgic respect for it, he just acknowledges things have changed and moves on.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 12, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

boredsatellite posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because they cut out Speedwagon, who is probably one of the most important characters in the series given the aid the SWF supplies (UV lights against Kars; taking care of the dying Holly, etc).

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 12, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Me and a friend have a mostly groundless theory about Polnareff's heart earrings.

Short version: Him and his sister were really close, and one of the earrings belonged his sister.

edit:

RatHat posted:

Or it could just be a metaphor that his heart is broken because of his sister's death.

That was part of the long version. :colbert:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 12, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Or it could just be a metaphor that his heart is broken because of his sister's death.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

boredsatellite posted:

I really want to know more about this, it sounds fascinating. I can only assume Araki killed some people.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Nessus posted:

I really want to know more about this, it sounds fascinating. I can only assume Araki killed some people.

Nah, he used the Ripple to destroy the masters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

He can't channel the Ripple or he'd burn up. He must have used Space Ripper Stingy Eyes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Genocyber posted:

He can't channel the Ripple or he'd burn up. He must have used Space Ripper Stingy Eyes.

Araki is the perfect being and the pinnacle of all life, he's achieved immunity to the effects of the sun and the Ripple.

edit: Do those hearts even fit together? They have the same number of jagged edges and they're pointed downward on both ears.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 12, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Araki is the perfect being and the pinnacle of all life, he's achieved immunity to the effects of the sun and the Ripple.

edit: Do those hearts even fit together? They have the same number of jagged edges and they're pointed downward on both ears.

Maybe he and his sister had a matching pair and he's wearing the same half from her pair.

Or maybe hers were the missing parts of Polnareff's earrings and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nessus posted:

It's came up a few times in this thread already, but basically: Japan typically gives greater rights to the original creator of a work, and contracts reflect this. Apparently whatever contract was made with Araki with regards to the Phantom Blood movie gave him the rights to blockade it getting a home video release.

We obviously don't know much more beyond that (or if he actually is the cause and it was just coincidental to the movie being apparently poo poo) because it's not like they brandish contractual stuff like that in the open.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The reception to the movie was poor from fans too, quite a few characters were cut (Speedwagon is barely in it, Dire, Straizo, Poco), the movie was 90 minutes long, and it explained the ripple poorly (Apparently).

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Dio has a rockin outfit though, kinda makes him look like a Castlevania character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And the theme song they made for it loving rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1A8LX3ttjw

Look into my evil eyez~

Edit: And here's a trailer for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB66laScBPU

It was animated by the same studio that did the Stardust Crusaders OVA series, and it shows as they really don't have the Jojo aesthetic down.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 12, 2014

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Picturing Araki throwing a tantrum over it.

"You guys ruined Stardust Crusaders in the 90s! You shat on its corpse in the new millenium and now you do this to Phantom Blood!? gently caress YOU GET OUT. Maybe these David Productions guys can do something with it..."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Sekkira posted:

Picturing Araki throwing a tantrum over it.

"You guys ruined Stardust Crusaders in the 90s! You shat on its corpse in the new millenium and now you do this to Phantom Blood!? gently caress YOU GET OUT. Maybe these David Productions guys can do something with it..."

"Only CyberConnect2 can save my franchise now."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We saw how well that worked out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It doesn't look bad, except for the total lack of Speedwagon, which alone is unforgivable.

Waffleman_ posted:

And the theme song they made for it loving rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1A8LX3ttjw
It was animated by the same studio that did the Stardust Crusaders OVA series, and it shows as they really don't have the Jojo aesthetic down.

No, but it's extremely generic Fist of the North Star cloning, so they had the Phantom Blood aesthetic down.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
goatse

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 12, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

same

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hello, my friend.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mods get rid of that please.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

MonsterEnvy posted:

a quoted goatse

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 12, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Gerty posted:

a quoted goatse

what would krik johnson's stand be though

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

I suppose this is the summary of your opinion on the Phantom Blood game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Phantom Blood game was bad too, despite having a stage where you played as Speedwagon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Saagonsa posted:

what would krik johnson's stand be though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUKfbgp4p-4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agreed

Waffleman_ posted:

The Phantom Blood game was bad too, despite having a stage where you played as Speedwagon.

Literally the worst JoJo game made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The recent mobile game disagrees.

Phantom Blood game had a stage where you play as the random aztec dude from the opening and murder all of your fellow aztecs with your new vampire powers.

e: whoops that didn't even happen in the anime

• Locked thread