Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I cannot stress enough to build landings in your giant stairwells. Landings are the difference between your dwarves falling and breaking their legs, and falling down to the bottom and exploding in a spray of blood.
:psydwarf:
I don't know why dwarves fall down stairs like they were empty air, but they do.

Also, I second the ridiculous 3x3 stairwell/stairwells. Your dwarves and war animals will fly between the Z-levels.

Covering your stairwells with hatches every few levels is useful too. If they fall, they'll only fall until they hit a hatch. If something far below goes wrong, you can always lock the hatches. Hatches are good stuff.

I do prefer landings though.

code:
> <
> <
> <

And then the next level down goes:

< >
< >
< >
It is more work, but in the landing space you can put doors or traps to inconvenience baddies using your stairwells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neurion posted:

Just make sure your 3x3 stairwell doesn't extend all the way into the caverns, unless you build walls around it to keep out unwanted visitors. If a hostile appears anywhere in the stairwell, all your dwarves will refuse to use the stairs out of fear. So either have a defended hallway leading into the caverns, or have multiple redundant stairwells!

I generally use a big central stair (or ramp, if I'm feeling concerned for dwarven safety/want to put the caravans further in) way for the fort, but I dig a secondary smaller stairway to the caverns, usually on the other side of a little cave with fortification towers and a bridge over a big pit.

The first dozen Z levels are basically safe in my head, but need to be defended from above and below.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Most of my stockpiles are 3x3 tiles, with a 2 tile long track next to them. Just enough track to have a minecart intake everything from the 3x3 stockpile and then dump it all into a 1x1 stockpile nearby.

All my rocks, cloth, wood, etc. are all configured like that for maximum space efficiency.

I've set up my food like that too, with a fishery in the caverns sending carts of fish up and the farms and butchery sending carts of food down. Sometimes it all lands on a unfortunate dwarf, who usually survives with a few broken bones, but that's the price of efficiency I guess.

The only one I don't have like that is my drink stockpile, since dwarves like to grab a drink and then stand on that tile while they drink which makes for a much higher frequency of 'Dwarven Wine Barrel has collided into Urist!'

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I do a 3x3 stairwell but I also carve out the middle to just be a hole. I install retractable bridges over the middle at the various stockpile levels and have them hooked up to a master control room (Also known as the dining room). I have items from the merchants dumped down the hole and arrive on the correct level for stockpiling.

It is, of course, not the only stairwell. I have four 2x2 stairwells off to the sides as well, and each of the various stairwells can be sealed by doubled doors at every level so losing a stairwell to invaders is not the end of the world. I am just sad that collapses don't chew through stairwells like they do unsupported floors. That would make for the best fortress shaft defence ever.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Does the MW Warlock torture chamber -> "convert caged invader to ghoul" work? It looks like it does but when I release the new converted dudes even though they're clearly in my civ (they have thoughts, they own property etc) they get attacked by my existing units.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I stopped doing a central stairwell once I started building forts with controllable secure water supplies. One stairwell is a huge problem when you've accidentally started flooding your fortress as it can be tricky to isolate.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Splode posted:

I stopped doing a central stairwell once I started building forts with controllable secure water supplies. One stairwell is a huge problem when you've accidentally started flooding your fortress as it can be tricky to isolate.

Hatches. Hatches are a lifesaver.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Regarding noise, workshops do not create noise, digging, building, smoothing and engraving does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I want to enable the search plugin in DFHack.

What line do I have to add to dfhack.init to achieve this?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It doesn't look for anything in the inits and can't be toggled. You either have it or you don't.

Also, the r3 version already has it built-in. If you're up to date, something has gone wrong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

scamtank posted:

It doesn't look for anything in the inits and can't be toggled. You either have it or you don't.

Oh, okay. Turns out I'm dumb and have spent so much time staring at the unmodded screens that I didn't even notice the new feature was already there. :downs:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When you start getting used to the search filter you're going to wonder why Toady does not build this feature in because holy poo poo it makes those enormous lists of every goddamn thing a lot more tolerable.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

ACHTUNG ARSEMANGLES, DEVLOG OFF THE PORT BOW

Toady One posted:

Continuing along with issues. I went to go buy some fruit from an elven market, but there was nobody there, and when I fixed that, it started crashing, but eventually it all worked. I had what I thought was a small problem with world gen forts occasionally being placed too deeply in the mountains, but it ended up being a more subtle mess with how the mid-level mountain maps are generated, so I had to add an extra check to read ahead how those maps would turn out... the mountain forts seem to all be placed in accessible places now. Fixed a problem where an adventurer would just start out in a random field instead of the castle in town. Fixed another one of those climb/jump pathing problems, this time with getting them to understand how to leap properly in certain situations while clinging to walls. There are still a few of those left potentially. Also cleaned up an issue causing residents to wander far away from their houses or into rooms they didn't intend to be in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

There are still a few of those left potentially. Also cleaned up an issue causing residents to wander far away from their houses or into rooms they didn't intend to be in.

To be fair, this happens all the time in RL. "Why am I in the kitchen? I must have wanted something. I can't remember."

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I wonder if dwarves will use discretion (well, dwarven discretion, but still) when something climbable opens up a path to their destination. I forget if Toady added stuff like climbable ladders and ropes (he talked about stuff like using ropes to descend down to the caverns when he was first implementing those). It'd be funny to have the well's rope be climbable too, meaning it would bring back the well invaders from the 2d days.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Now, I ask this about once a year, any guesstimates on the ETA to next DF?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Closing floodgates cannot atom smash dwarves, right? I've seen them held open by vermin remains...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Floodgates dont do that at all, as far as I remember. Only bridges.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Baloogan posted:

After a long history of release watching, I'd say between one week and three months.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

SynthOrange posted:

Floodgates dont do that at all, as far as I remember. Only bridges.

I just had an injured miner disappear without leaving a corpse. I don't recall people being rescued ever disappearing from the role. Also, I didn't see anyone rescue her. And I cannot engrave a memorial, so I gather she is not dead.

Weird. Maybe she fell out of the world?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Baloogan posted:

My word doesn't count for much when I say "soon", but he did say this some two weeks ago:

quote:

I finished the options I needed to handle on the information screens today. That leaves me with my "issues" text file to work through. That's the next and final step for this release -- getting it up to a state where it isn't an utter and fundamental degradation of the currently released version. There are crashes, optimizations that need doing, dwarves that seem to potter off without thinking in between certain jobs, and all manner of other trouble.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I just had an injured miner disappear without leaving a corpse. I don't recall people being rescued ever disappearing from the role. Also, I didn't see anyone rescue her. And I cannot engrave a memorial, so I gather she is not dead.

Is it possible you've just misplaced her? I've never had anything like that happen before, does she appear for room or nobility assignments? Try making her the manager and then locating the manager if so.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Suicide Sam E. posted:

If you have a waterfall on your map, take a look at the bottom of it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone else actually bury their dead dwarves? For every dwarf that dies, I channel a 1-tile space outside, dump their corpse in, pave it over and put a marker down. The result is that, by the time I start getting serious sieges and whatnot, I have a pretty nifty dorf graveyard.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, I do that too. 2x1, coffin, engraved slab over it when the corpse is placed inside. It's fun!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I usually did that for foreigners. Citizens got a place in a communal stone crypt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Does anyone else actually bury their dead dwarves? For every dwarf that dies, I channel a 1-tile space outside, dump their corpse in, pave it over and put a marker down. The result is that, by the time I start getting serious sieges and whatnot, I have a pretty nifty dorf graveyard.

That's actually a quite neat idea and I may have to start doing that.

Bonus points: Dig a big room full of pillars and pile a bunch of mangled corpses into shafts covered in stone grates. Get sieged by a necromancer. Recreate the ending to The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

my dad posted:

Hatches. Hatches are a lifesaver.

Does opening a hatch slow down travel time?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do you get the font to look like this? I imagine it's an ascii tileset, so the follow-up question is how do you get to use a graphics pack (e.g. Phoebux) but with that kind of font, rather than the default one?

Carsius
May 7, 2013

canepazzo posted:

How do you get the font to look like this? I imagine it's an ascii tileset, so the follow-up question is how do you get to use a graphics pack (e.g. Phoebux) but with that kind of font, rather than the default one?

Looks like the Masterwork font to me. Works independently of tilesets, as long as you change the set through the Masterwork launcher.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That's the barebones starting default. init.txt in the data folder lets you choose the .png tilesheet you want to draw the characters from. Here are the standard 640x300 and Phoebus 16x16 side by side:

Most of the Phoebus pictographs are embedded in the character sheet itself, so not at all, really. The 16x16 special tiles for creatures would also be compressed into the 6x9 mold and therefore look like balls.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Met posted:

I think not. Just like doors don't slow dwarves down either. However, they're much sturdier since nothing can open locked hatches from below.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Met posted:

They certainly slow down the travel time of a falling dwarf :haw:

Actually I wonder if KO'd dwarves will fall again if the hatch was to open. Like someone falls down your stairway, hits the hatch, someone under him comes on up to recover him and you get the announcement of "Canceled recover wounded: Job item missing or lost" as the dwarf falls down another flight of stairs.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 11, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have a rough idea for a challenge but I need to flesh out the actual rules and I would like your input. The idea, essentially, is that the game is Paying the Iron Price. No harvesting fresh materials of any sort. Everything comes from slain creatures. Merchants can be traded with.

I feel like I could flesh this out a bit more.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Diogines posted:

I have a rough idea for a challenge but I need to flesh out the actual rules and I would like your input. The idea, essentially, is that the game is Paying the Iron Price. No harvesting fresh materials of any sort. Everything comes from slain creatures. Merchants can be traded with.

I feel like I could flesh this out a bit more.

You can make poor armor from bone and leather, but I don't think dwarfs can make weapons without metal. Once you are a bit established there is plenty of goblinite, but punching the first few kobolds to death to get a knife could be a problem. No weapons means no hunting. That leaves you with . . . fishing? You can make a few armor items from turtle shell, crafts too.

If you're going to have a huge corpse processing area, then it's probably best not to embark on in an evil biome or near any necromancer towers. :zombie:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bone crossbows and bone bolts. Slaughter a cat for bones.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's also wooden training spears/axes, and I'm pretty sure you can chip a sword out of obsidian if you have that (in vanilla).

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Every time I see this thread I check the OP with a bit of hope. :sigh:

It's been two years, Toady.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Not this month it hasn't. June 14th is the magic number to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
My foolish goal for DF is to make an interesting fortress, and then to also find it in adventure mode.

I don't recall whether the current release allows you to "retire" a fort, or whether the only option is still to abandon it?

It's too bad the game lacks LAN support. I wouldn't mind adventuring around a changing world, trading with someone else's fortress, or co-adventuring.