Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm showing my age, but Top Gear survived the last presenterectomy when they lost Tiff Nedell and Quentin Wilson after Wilson's (iirc) drink driving ban.

They still had Clarkson though, so if they lose him it'll be interesting to see if May & Hammond can hold the show on their own. I really like May and Hammond's got decent comic timing.

The other question I suppose is who would replace him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm showing my age, but Top Gear survived the last presenterectomy when they lost Tiff Nedell and Quentin Wilson after Wilson's (iirc) drink driving ban.

They still had Clarkson though, so if they lose him it'll be interesting to see if May & Hammond can hold the show on their own. I really like May and Hammond's got decent comic timing.

The other question I suppose is who would replace him?

Piers Morgan

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

I'd rather see Clarkson blacked up and eating watermelon than see that pie-faced twat.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Catching up with this year's Britain's Got Talent. It's fallen so far from the glory days of SuBo and that flippy dancing kid with the crazy hair :smith:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I am utterly shocked that the BBC have declined to fire the man who has made them millions through BBC Worldwide. He could probably get away with murder.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Any excuse to post this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Shelf Adventure posted:

Not being broadcast I can understand people using as a defence but how is it any better that he mumbled it? Can I say "Jews aren't really people" as long as I stutter?
He mumbled some random syllables. Why you would try to obscure the lyrics of Eeny Meeny rather than being as clear as possible given its history is beyond me though.

More like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OA5csEdCYo

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Taff posted:

I'm not proud to admit that Ive accidentally said it when reciting the rhyme too. Thankfully no cameras were present.

Me too to be honest.
You'll have to take my word on me not being a racist but as a kid we'd say what we called the naughty version so often. ( not really knowing what the N word ment) that honestly I'm not even sure what you do say at the " pick a N by his toe bit and just mumble that bit now adays.

And I'm not one to defend Clarkson I think as person he seems to be a total nob-end. In fact the best that can be said is he's a ok nob- end like a stuck in his ways old uncle.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 3, 2014

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Clarkson should definitely be sacked for this but precisely because, as his indiscretions go, this is actually fairly minor and almost forgiveable. It would be poetic justice that his attitude over the last 15 years has made him seem so toxic and offensive that he's finally sacked over something that, for almost anyone else, wouldn't even make the news. A sort of "racist that cried wolf" thing.

Of course he won't be sacked though, will he.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Me too to be honest.
You'll have to take my word on me not be racist but as a kid we'd say what we called the naughty version so often. ( not really knowing what the N word ment) that honestly I'm not even sure what you do say at the " pick a N by his toe bit and just mumble that bit now adays.

Yeah, same with me. I never heard another version until I was much older.

Not to defend Clarkson, but he's over 20 years older than me and I would imagine he probably had the rhyme so ingrained in his head that it was natural. That or he started and blanked on the modern version.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, same with me. I never heard another version until I was much older.

Not to defend Clarkson, but he's over 20 years older than me and I would imagine he probably had the rhyme so ingrained in his head that it was natural. That or he started and blanked on the modern version.

so what would it look like if you were defending him??

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Charlie Brooker and his latest crazy hairstyle were on this weeks HIGNFY, it always cracks me up when Hislop pulls a bemused reaction when someone says something crazy.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
HIGNFY's guest casting needs work. Bridget Christie was loving tedious and Charlie Brooker barely said two words.

Graham Norton's Chat Show was brilliant last night though - the "reading" thing was a hoot.

Graham's little bit with our Eurovision contestant was soooo awkward too.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cerv posted:

Sorry, I worded that wrong. What I meant was, I'm not one to defend Clarkson because I don't like him and he has done and said questionable things in the past, but this one looks more like a genuine mistake to me. It was stupid and he should not have done it, but I don't think it's evident of him being racist or using that word in a negative context.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Graham Norton's Chat Show was brilliant last night though - the "reading" thing was a hoot.

Thanks for the tip here, the interview with the 3 X-Men guys was really fun. Clearly they had been drinking in the green room, good buncha guys!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Although a friend of mine did notice they broadcast it in the wrong order, unless there was something weird going on with James Macavoy's drink emptying and refilling itself.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Although a friend of mine did notice they broadcast it in the wrong order, unless there was something weird going on with James Macavoy's drink emptying and refilling itself.

Telekinetic powers? :v:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Cerv posted:

something like:
Clarkson did nothing wrong, they come over hear taking our rhymes from us, simple innocent child rhymes where we sing about taking black people and enslaving them, and they won't let us sing our racist rhymes because it's not politically correct. Well I've got something to say to you, oppressed people that I wish to sing disparaging rhymes about, if you don't like it why don't you just go back to whereever it is that you're from?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's political correctness gone mad. We're all going to hell in a handbasket. You couldn't make it up. And so on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's political correctness gone mad. We're all going to hell in a handbasket. You couldn't make it up. And so on.

You can't sneak by us that easily, Farrage!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Stage hands deliver speedy refills while the camera's on Graham.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Stewart Lee said (that word) on his show and nobody cared.
I enjoy the fact that no mention of it, and now Clarkson being attacked on all sides for saying it, really ties into his stage persona as someone nobody cares about and so is worthless.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Hahaha, I like how people bite on the stage persona. That must be a very useful thing in celebrity-hood. Am I an arse? Oh let's tell people its a character, especially when that character shows through in my personal life absent of rolling cameras and mic battery packs. I'm safe!

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

DaWolfey posted:

Stewart Lee said (that word) on his show and nobody cared.
I enjoy the fact that no mention of it, and now Clarkson being attacked on all sides for saying it, really ties into his stage persona as someone nobody cares about and so is worthless.

There's a difference between saying the word in a rhyme as a joke and saying it "quoted" like Lee does.

Brian Moser
Mar 11, 2012

Jonnty posted:

There's a difference between saying the word in a rhyme as a joke and saying it "quoted" like Lee does.

Hahah yeah my white friends tell me I'm allowed to make all the cracker jokes I want. I do love me some excuses for racism. But don't quote me on that okay? lol white people

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well, that's a poo poo post.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Brian Moser posted:

Hahah yeah my white friends tell me I'm allowed to make all the cracker jokes I want. I do love me some excuses for racism. But don't quote me on that okay? lol white people

The gently caress is this?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Well, that's a poo poo post.

Oh.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vera is on ITV and it's set in the seaside town in which I grew up :sweatdrop:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

In The Flesh season 2 is on now, seem to remember a few folk in this thread liked it. First set of episodes last year was heartbreaking in the best possible way, if a bit unsubtle with its' metaphors. Plus, it's probably the last drama series BBC3 will show, given its' imminent demise.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00sc29t/how-they-dug-the-victoria-line
"how they dug the victoria line"

This is an absolute gem.

Seriously, I've just finished watching this and it makes me glad to be a human. Ace.

Yermaw Zahoor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 9, 2014

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

This is an absolute gem.

Seriously, I've just finished watching this and it makes me glad to be a human. Ace.

Thanks for the recommendation, really enjoyed that. I especially liked the use of the word "boffins" :)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Prey is looking well set up for the final episode. I foolishly made a thread for it before remembering this thread exists.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

This is an absolute gem.

Seconding this (or thirding) bloody great.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I have a niche request! I've got a massive urge to listen to some Adam and Joe podcasts again and really want to listen to the one where callers ring in with fake/real accents, I've got them all downloaded but can't remember which one it is! Anyone with a brilliant brain?

Edit: remembered it. It's the 18/10/2008 show with Roger Moore. Do you roger more?

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 11, 2014

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In the Flesh seems as excellent as it was last year. This week the former-zombies face a fate worse than death: being treated the way people on benefits get treated today.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^ I love how brazenly over the top it is with the metaphors. Who thought we'd see a UKIP stand-in in a show about zombies undead?

Lofty132 posted:

Prey is looking well set up for the final episode. I foolishly made a thread for it before remembering this thread exists.

Did it pick up? I watched the first episode, it just seemed a load of morbid standing around, with not a lot actually happening.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

I have a niche request! I've got a massive urge to listen to some Adam and Joe podcasts again and really want to listen to the one where callers ring in with fake/real accents, I've got them all downloaded but can't remember which one it is! Anyone with a brilliant brain?

Edit: remembered it. It's the 18/10/2008 show with Roger Moore. Do you roger more?

Is that the one when they both lose it as soon as the "Polish" caller opens his mouth?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

^^^ I love how brazenly over the top it is with the metaphors. Who thought we'd see a UKIP stand-in in a show about zombies undead?

Definitely not subtle with the metaphors, it's amazing how the Partially Deceased can stand in for pretty much any oppressed minority you care to name.

Grand stuff though, the young actors playing Kieran and Jem are remarkably good.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Did anyone see the BBC 4 programme about female artists since the renaissance? It was pretty great, I had no idea that there were any popular women artists in the time period!

And seeing the guy with a swastika tattoo being a big baby was was kinda funny on The Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sri.Theo posted:

Did anyone see the BBC 4 programme about female artists since the renaissance? It was pretty great, I had no idea that there were any popular women artists in the time period!

And seeing the guy with a swastika tattoo being a big baby was was kinda funny on The Island.

Which guy was that, the long haired one? I watched it for the first time last night and enjoyed it so I might keep up with it. I was impressed that they actually caught and ate a crocodile, the blokes catching it seemed remarkably calm about it