Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

amuayse posted:

Earthquake hits 50 percent of the battlefield.

Uh wow, this is also something I did not know. What do you mean by 50%? As in, 50% of all units are affected? Or does it have a hidden aoe that is size 50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are there any Dom4 LP's popping up? Those were always the best-

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

TheresNoThyme posted:

Uh wow, this is also something I did not know. What do you mean by 50%? As in, 50% of all units are affected? Or does it have a hidden aoe that is size 50?

50% of the squares on the battlefield. In caves, earthquakes do about twice as much damage.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

amuayse posted:

50% of the squares on the battlefield. In caves, earthquakes do about twice as much damage.

In that case it's really awkward that the dom 4 mod inspector lists the AOE as literally "100% of the battlefield" but makes no mention of this 50% mechanic. Seems worth adding a note or something to the description.

Anyways, thanks for the info

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Earthquake hits 50 percent of the battlefield.

You get an avoidance roll. Dunno vs what atk value but higher defense stuff is basically immune.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You get an avoidance roll. Dunno vs what atk value but higher defense stuff is basically immune.

What about flying units? Are they naturally immune or do they just get a better avoidance roll?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Libluini posted:

What about flying units? Are they naturally immune or do they just get a better avoidance roll?

Nothing, full stop. Floating units too.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Is there anything that deals guaranteed damage to every unit on the field?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

AXE COP posted:

Anything which is a battlefield enchantment, like rigor mortis or foul vapors, will do if it deals damage

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There are some battlefield enchantments which hit 50% of squares every turn

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

AXE COP posted:

Maybe that Astral thing. Soul Rip or whatever. That does 2AN damage, not sure if it's to 100% of the battlefield because 2AN damage, who gives a poo poo unless the enchantment that causes disease to most wounded targets is up (and that's never happened to me yet).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Nope, Astral Tempest works like Fire Storm and Storm boosted Wrathful Skies in that it hits 50% of the field at a time. Astral Tempest is kind of wimpy imho

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Rain of Stones

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
soul vortex or soul drain i cant remember which is the big one and which is the little one, will hit everything on the fite that doesnt resist it, same with bloodletting

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

jBrereton posted:

Maybe that Astral thing. Soul Rip or whatever. That does 2AN damage, not sure if it's to 100% of the battlefield because 2AN damage, who gives a poo poo unless the enchantment that causes disease to most wounded targets is up (and that's never happened to me yet).

Yeah Foul Air, I was trying to think of ways an airdropped Mage could guarantee disease on a whole army.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Paging Engineerharry, please take your turns in noobs 'r' us. And, also, check the PGS thread or IRC so you know when games start.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MrBims posted:

Nothing, full stop. Floating units too.

Well, looks like I found a new spell on my list for loving up armies when I'm heavily outnumbered. :v:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

I Love You! posted:

Rain of Stones

Still a 50% spell, just one of the better ones.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
So what's the consensus on fort vs palisade? Some say build only palisades, other says if you are going to make a castle you might as well put down the bigger one.

From my own understanding it seems to be dependant on what nation you are playing, and what you want to use them for. Need more resources = forts, want mage factories = palisades. Defensive positions should get the bigger fort no matter what. Also forests need the bigger forts so you can get roads.

But higher admin also gives more income, so you earn those 200 extra gold back eventually. Further fort upgrades gives more admin, such as storage basement and stuff like that. Are they worth getting for increased income/resources?

The Gentleman fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 11, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

The Gentleman posted:

So what's the consensus on fort vs palisade? Some say build only palisades, other says if you are going to make a castle you might as well put down the bigger one.

From my own understanding it seems to be dependant on what nation you are playing, and what you want to use them for. Need more resources = forts, want mage factories = palisades. Defensive positions should get the bigger fort no matter what. Also forests need the bigger forts so you can get roads.

But higher admin also gives more income, so you earn those 200 extra gold back eventually. Further fort upgrades gives more admin, such as storage basement and stuff like that. Are they worth getting for increased income/resources?

If you build a palisade, I'm gonna come take it when its ready.

No siege, just straight storming. 50 defense isn't going to get you very far.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

The Gentleman posted:

Palisades rule because they build 1 turn faster for 200 less gold. The most important factor for most forts is getting mages (and incidentally, troops) rolling in faster and cheaper, and palisades do an amazing job of this. Spamming mages is almost always a good strat.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

AXE COP posted:

Check in blood magic--there are a few spells that do 1-2 damage to every unit on the field, but I think resists are possible.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrBims posted:

If you build a palisade, I'm gonna come take it when its ready.

No siege, just straight storming. 50 defense isn't going to get you very far.
Except in relative terms, you'll have 200 gold less of mages and troops per fort if you're in the same situation as someone only making palisades, making that a bit trickier than that. I know Dominions isn't very balanced, but that does usually make a reasonable difference.

And unless you put another thousand-ish gold into a Fortress and its defensive upgrades, it's still not going to be that hard to break, it's just going to take a couple of rounds. But then if you want it back, it'll take a couple of rounds more for you, too, and if you're losing forts then that might be inconvenient.

Plus if a Palisade is completely jammed with units (Turmoil EA/MA Pan is great, by which I mean horrible to fight, for this reason), you're still not going to be able to crack it, because a million billion Maenads are going to hold it forever (or at least until you cast Crumble/amass tons of siege gear).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I palisade everything except thrones and maybe a prov that I really want to have roads.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

The Gentleman posted:

I pretty much always go for a cheap first fort, and more expensive ones after that unless I'm currently in a war where I desperately need the money.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Except in relative terms, you'll have 200 gold less of mages and troops per fort if you're in the same situation as someone only making palisades, making that a bit trickier than that. I know Dominions isn't very balanced, but that does usually make a reasonable difference.

And unless you put another thousand-ish gold into a Fortress and its defensive upgrades, it's still not going to be that hard to break, it's just going to take a couple of rounds. But then if you want it back, it'll take a couple of rounds more for you, too, and if you're losing forts then that might be inconvenient.

Plus if a Palisade is completely jammed with units (Turmoil EA/MA Pan is great, by which I mean horrible to fight, for this reason), you're still not going to be able to crack it, because a million billion Maenads are going to hold it forever (or at least until you cast Crumble/amass tons of siege gear).

That and a lot of the time you dont need to crack a fort you just take all of their stuff while bottling them up and shipping in reinforcements that make your armies even harder to engage.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Usually on thrones and checkpoints, build a fort that can support a gatehouse. Palisades everywhere else, and maybe build roads if it's a mountain fort and you're cranking out tons of troops.
I think it kind of sucks some nations can't build palisades but oh well.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

amuayse posted:

Usually on thrones and checkpoints, build a fort that can support a gatehouse. Palisades everywhere else, and maybe build roads if it's a mountain fort and you're cranking out tons of troops.
I think it kind of sucks some nations can't build palisades but oh well.

I only think roads works in forests, which is kind of weird but still.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well mainly for the big admin bonus that roads provide, meaning more income and resources.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Well mainly for the big admin bonus that roads provide, meaning more income and resources.
I think someone ran the numbers on it, and in a 10k province, the +5 admin bonus for roads would take something like 3 years to pay itself back. It's not a big deal. Roads are handy in forest provinces, though, sorta. Still crazy that it takes 9 months at the least to make forests easier to get through.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So Gift of Nature's Bounty is really goddamn strong

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

There's a reason it's so hard to cast.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I dunno, I guess I just expected it to be kind of underwhelming compared to other globals like Vengeful Waters or w/e. :psyduck:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

The Gentleman posted:

Belated, but palisades don't support any upgrades (defense or roads) so they're really only good for "pure research" outposts. Anything of strategic importance you'll want a real fort on, anything you're prepared to either reinforce or abandon at a moment's notice is fine for palisades.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 11, 2014

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

my #1 consideration when placing is minimizing the risk of losing the province before the fort finishes, I also want to minimize the time I have to spend guarding the construction province and waiting for a return on my investment, so the only time I place something that isn't the cheapest fastest option is when I have a high population province in a secure position and I'm not in any hurry to have it produce mages/troops

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

How much PD does that buy :psyduck:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

scalded schlong posted:

How much PD does that buy :psyduck:

That's like 2 100pd provinces a turn! Also he could fort literally everything!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Speaking of PD: I forgot the formula for 1+2+3+4+5+6+...

Anyone happen to know it? I'd love to just think of a number and know the immediate cost.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

1+2+3...+n = (n/2 * n) + n/2, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Kitfox is already a famous Dominions player with a known quirk without appearing in an LP. You can be proud.

• Locked thread