Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Oh the terrible Pavillions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My first short-term job out of high school before I went to college was third shift in an automotive assembly plant. The only reason management would explain anything to me about what we were doing was because I was in QC, and if I had been on assembly all my questions would likely have been answered with "Just do your job."

And at least half of my flagging was overridden as "acceptable enough to ship" even in situations where it was things like "excessively large chunks of metal in the oil after engine testing" that might not be an issue, but definitely could have been. Wouldn't want to hurt our shift's shipped numbers after all over what COULD be nothing!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

At least it has off-roading style tires and not "32 inch reeeeeems yo", I'll allow it!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

At least it has off-roading style tires and not "32 inch reeeeeems yo", I'll allow it!

32 inch rims yo would be more appropriate for strip mall hard parking.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

G-Mach posted:

THREE PHASE EQUIPMENT ON THE PRODUCTION FLOOR!

NO ASSET LISTS, NO PLANNED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE, WOODEN TABLES IN A OPEN FOOD ENVIRONMENT!

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Try working at a company that manufactures custom equipment. When I started safety was iffy, QC was non existant, typically all the equipment we build runs some form of 3P power (208-240/460/480/575/600), transformers just sitting around everywhere, etc. They've gotten a lot better now, but sometimes I'm out on the floor and it's just oh hey look you're setting up 6" pipe which we don't thread oh your welding it oh why don't you have any safety stuff set up WAIT YOU'RE NOT EVEN WEARING A HOOD AND WELDING INSIDE THE SYSTEM MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING STOP THAT RIGHT NOW :frogsiren:

Thankfully I just get to design the stuff.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PCOS Bill posted:

My first short-term job out of high school before I went to college was third shift in an automotive assembly plant. The only reason management would explain anything to me about what we were doing was because I was in QC, and if I had been on assembly all my questions would likely have been answered with "Just do your job."

And at least half of my flagging was overridden as "acceptable enough to ship" even in situations where it was things like "excessively large chunks of metal in the oil after engine testing" that might not be an issue, but definitely could have been. Wouldn't want to hurt our shift's shipped numbers after all over what COULD be nothing!

I'm kinda curious which manufacturer you worked for, wanna know which one considers metal chunks in the oil good enough to ship.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm kinda curious which manufacturer you worked for, wanna know which one considers metal chunks in the oil good enough to ship.

You'll likely never run into their engines in your day to day driving/vehicle use, though InterceptorV8 might.

Edit: Okay, chunks is exaggerating, that would definitely get it pulled from the line and through the thorough QA line, but there's a line between "small flecks" and "big flecks" of metal that is open to interpretation on whether or not it was just remnants from machining vs actual problems after they got dyno tested.

This was also a long time ago now.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 11, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I work for Toyota, lockout tagout is a pain but I wouldn't enter any machine without it, 4000t presses don't fire warning shots.

Also, giving every worker the power to stop the machine/production line is a brilliant thing for a very unintended reason, people just love to point out others mistakes & get rewarded for it :haw:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

You'll likely never run into their engines in your day to day driving/vehicle use, though InterceptorV8 might.

Edit: Okay, chunks is exaggerating, that would definitely get it pulled from the line and through the thorough QA line, but there's a line between "small flecks" and "big flecks" of metal that is open to interpretation on whether or not it was just remnants from machining vs actual problems after they got dyno tested.

This was also a long time ago now.
'gently caress it that's what the oil filter's for' is such a common attitude with heavy trucks it's ridiculous. My boss used to be the engine guy at a dealership and was bragging that he could build an engine without a torque wrench :unsmigghh: (and head bolt spec on the engine he was talking about did not involve the degree method, though many modern ones do)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 11, 2014

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I worked for a company that was trying to start a manufacturing line and we had a whole bunch of trouble with our plant. The plant was in Poland and our company would send them the list of all the nuts/bolts/screws/etc that were to be used, and where to get them. But they took it upon themselves to get their hardware elsewhere because it was cheaper/easier to get but that resulted in the wrong lengths being bought and used anyway or washers not being used where they were needed or stacks of washers being used to make up for screws that were too long for their intended hole and wouldn't tighten up. It was crazy. We spent a week going through their line taking stuff off of it and tagging it unusable only to find they went right back to the stuff after we left because they couldn't waste all the hardware they bought even though it was wrong. So we had to go back over for another 2 weeks and physically throw the stuff into a dumpster and hold their hand through 2 weeks of production to try and get the ball rolling. We had to make a regular habit of sending people over to the plant to keep things in line.

They used a temp agency to fill the line with workers and the turnover was incredible from week to week. There were new workers starting everyday and after the weekend there would be a dozen or so new workers to replace people that had left. A lot of whom had never touched a tool before in their lives. You can write all the instructions in the world but inexperience really hurt the effort that was trying to be put forward. They were putting out around 40 units in an 8 hour period and more than half of them were deemed unshippable after in house QC.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It might seem ludicrous Toyota ship bolts and washers around the world but it prevents exactly the issue you describe there.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I do QA for an aerospace CNC company where ~40% of our employees don't speak english and 90% of the rest of the operators are $12/hr button pushers. We had some guy try to pass off loving shim stock as 2024-O because he scrapped a part and didn't want his work order to be short a part. There are literally no consequences to scrapping a part here. It delaminated during the hydroform process which make it really obvious and the dude was shitcanned, but maaaaaaaan. You guys wouldn't believe some of the poo poo that goes on here.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I had a good laugh when I noticed a multi-million dollar submarine was being overhauled using Harbor Freight tools.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

I do QA for an aerospace CNC company where ~40% of our employees don't speak english and 90% of the rest of the operators are $12/hr button pushers.
'Sup.

rscott posted:

You guys wouldn't believe some of the poo poo that goes on here.
:allears:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We've been breakforming 6-4 without performing penetrant inspect for a good solid year or so on several dozen parts because despite people in QA bringing it up because our planners can't read specs for the manufacturing techniques they quote in their bids

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Too bad you can't blow the whistle on stuff like that.

PM me rscott when you want some info about working at the lazy B if you decide to move out here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't worked with manufacturing, but whenever I'm detailing prints, the guys who have worked manufacturing jobs make sure I do it as simply as possible, usually followed by "if they have to think about it, they'll just make the parts however they feel like it instead."

That leads to doing things that make sense from an engineering perspective (I care where the holes are relative each other, not the edges of the part, so I will dimension everything from the center of the holes) that don't make sense to the guy making the part (I can measure the hole locations from the edge of the part, so why aren't all the dimensions from the edge?).

I wish I worked closer with manufacturing instead of as a 3rd party supplier in an office far away. Whenever manufacturing gets involved, I learn a lot, especially the meaning of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Uthor posted:

I haven't worked with manufacturing, but whenever I'm detailing prints, the guys who have worked manufacturing jobs make sure I do it as simply as possible, usually followed by "if they have to think about it, they'll just make the parts however they feel like it instead."

That leads to doing things that make sense from an engineering perspective (I care where the holes are relative each other, not the edges of the part, so I will dimension everything from the center of the holes) that don't make sense to the guy making the part (I can measure the hole locations from the edge of the part, so why aren't all the dimensions from the edge?).

I wish I worked closer with manufacturing instead of as a 3rd party supplier in an office far away. Whenever manufacturing gets involved, I learn a lot, especially the meaning of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

It really helps to have to manufacture something yourself a few times after you designed a part. You learn quickly as to what's good practice and what's not for when you're just designing parts to be sent off to a manufacturer to do it for you later. Not to mention other considerations such as assembly and tool/hand fits after manufacturing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, I've been learning to take into account things beyond manufacturing, like maintenance access and spots water will pool and cause rust.

The company we work for has lots of standards that are (generally) followed to the letter which is supposed to make sure things are buildable, but there is a lot of stuff that isn't intuitive to me.

It'd be way easier to think of these things if we built stuff ourselves instead of being sourced to design small sections of bigger machines.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Luckily most of our poo poo is in 3D CATIA models and we can measure from whatever feature that we want

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MattD1zzl3 posted:

We don't have mud here in Arizona and crawlers are supposed to be low. :v:

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

rscott posted:

You guys wouldn't believe some of the poo poo that goes on here.
I think I bitched about it in your thread, but I absolutely would believe it.

:downs: "This traveler is all wrong. The part size is wrong, the quantity is wrong, the material is wrong, the pictures are wrong. You gotta fix this for me."
:v: "No, we have two jobs from the same customer and you grabbed the wrong box."
:downs: "Oh."

An hour later:
:reject: "Can you fix this traveler? :downs: showed it to me and all the information is wrong."
:shrek:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

This sort of looks proper. Looks.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

rcman50166 posted:

Not pictured was the whole back where the seats would be and all filled with plexiglass and subs and like 40 7in tvs. And fiberglassed molded everything in the from with more tvs.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

rscott posted:

Luckily most of our poo poo is in 3D CATIA models and we can measure from whatever feature that we want

We use CATIA where I work on a very, very large scale, and that doesn't stop us from incurring cost overruns due to construction mistakes. Probably less mistakes than when we used wooden forms and paper blueprints, but still... :sigh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

rscott posted:

Yeah, I think most places take our ProE models as a reference and/or feed into cnc/laser cutter machines, but the drawings are the official documents.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah our official product definitions are the models themselves for most of the 777 and all of the 787 parts we make.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Huh, the worst safety violation at my company is being too lazy to run the solder smoke filter every once in a while. :v: I guess that's a fair bit better than 99% of that poo poo. :stare:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I work in the environmental field and when we install groundwater monitoring wells or take soil samples, we have to call the drillers. By and large, drillers are awesome guys and they really know their poo poo when it comes to their machines. Sometimes you have to remind them to wear the right PPE, but they usually protect themselves pretty well.

I say "usually" because I did have one company that we worked with on a regular basis (because they were always the low bidders on our jobs) that had one guy that I had to ride his rear end about loving everything. I had to watch Dave like a goddamn hawk because he was always taking off his hard hat, not wearing his safety glasses, not wearing gloves, standing under poo poo on the drill rig, or something else equally stupid.

One day, we were drilling a deep well into bedrock about 80' deep and when we hit the bedrock, we had to switch from the auger to air hammer. The air hammer uses the biggest loving air compressor I've ever seen in my life to operate a hammer down at the bottom of the well. The air lines are about 3" OD and heavy as gently caress. To connect it to the top of the hammer device on the rig, it had to go through a chain of reducers and adapters about 3' long and weighing about 40 lbs, make a 90* bend, and then connect to the hammer.

While they were setting up, I turned my back to take a phone call from the office. While I wasn't looking, Dave went over to the goddamn hole, took off his hard hat, and looked down the hole like an idiot. While he was doing that, the lead driller was pulling a little bit more air hose down the hill and in the process, broke the chain of reducers right at the 90* bend. The air hose and adapters fell about 20 feet and ever so slightly grazed the top of Dave's stupid bald head. He needed 5 stitches to close up the gash on top of his head. Had he been an inch further forward, that thing would have taken the top of his head off. 2 inches further forward and his head would have been crushed like a watermelon at a Gallagher show.

That was an uncomfortable call to the safety people back in our office. Dave no longer works for those drillers, but those drillers also can't bid on jobs for that company any more. You can do all of the tailgate safety meetings and write all of the hazard analyses you want, but you can't keep an idiot from doing idiotic things.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

TrueChaos posted:

Try working at a company that manufactures custom equipment. When I started safety was iffy, QC was non existant, typically all the equipment we build runs some form of 3P power (208-240/460/480/575/600), transformers just sitting around everywhere, etc. They've gotten a lot better now, but sometimes I'm out on the floor and it's just oh hey look you're setting up 6" pipe which we don't thread oh your welding it oh why don't you have any safety stuff set up WAIT YOU'RE NOT EVEN WEARING A HOOD AND WELDING INSIDE THE SYSTEM MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING STOP THAT RIGHT NOW :frogsiren:

Thankfully I just get to design the stuff.

What's so bad about three-phase power sitting around?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rcman50166 posted:

Not even close. I can tell it's a poser compensation-mobile with an awful (but fully powdercoated/chromed!) suspension from here.

I bet it rides like an unloaded lumber cart and doesn't articulate worth a drat. Probably has some incredibly scary bumpsteer, too.

That thing has multiple feet of lift and there is maybe a 0.01% chance that they did anything right. Lifts measured in feet and suspension/steering system engineering ability are mutually exclusive.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You generally can't change the ride height more than an inch or so without screwing up some aspect of the geometry.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

atomicthumbs posted:

What's so bad about three-phase power sitting around?

Getting bit by single phase 120 just pisses you off most of the time (and leaves your fingers tingling for a bit).

3 phase could bite you with up to 208 on a single phase in the US. Dance with all 3 phases and you get fed 480V - assuming this has been stepped down, and assuming this is a US building (Canada runs up to 600V on 3 phase, after the transformers). Two phases can still nip you with 277. If you grab 2 phases and your shoes aren't 100% insulated (hint: they aren't), you're now a conductor for 2 phases - between each other, and also to ground.

The arc flash potential is also much, much higher when you're dealing with 3 phase.

I worked in a grocery store with 7160V (I think) entering the building, in two locations - the store owned the step-down transformers and everything after them. Got to see a breaker the size of my head (1000 amp for 1 of 3 phases, after the transformer) explode once, that was kinda neat. Also a hell of a bad day for the store (insurance payout was mid 6 figures, between the lost product, damaged equipment, and opening 6 hours late that day).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 12, 2014

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

bandman posted:

Dave no longer works for those drillers

How would Dave´s supervisor fair in this situation (or the one where he lost his head)? Isn't there a lot of pressure on the leaders to either teach the people or boot 'em before poo poo like this happens?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I don't know if this helps at all but when I was restoring my bikes there was a few places selling reproduction decals to go over a damaged or faded gauge face. Might be worth a search to see if something exists for old Hondas.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Post terrible license plates on cars randomly parked in front of your house on a foggy morning:

Bet he's proud of that now.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Fattig posted:

How would Dave´s supervisor fair in this situation (or the one where he lost his head)? Isn't there a lot of pressure on the leaders to either teach the people or boot 'em before poo poo like this happens?

I do a tailgate safety meeting where I go over any site-specific hazards, they do their own safety training, and all of the other driller helpers followed the rules for the most part. Since everyone has to take the same training classes and everyone gets the same safety briefings, the onus is on each individual to do their part and not put themselves in harm's way. Basically, you can lead a horse (driller) to water (safe practices), but you can't make him drink (not be a shithead). In this case, his supervisor did everything right. Dave was just a raging dumbass.

Where incidents like that can really hurt drilling contractors is in their EMR number. Basically, if your company's EMR number is 1.0, you have had exactly the number of OSHA-reportable injuries/"losses" that would be expected for a company in that industry. If it's under 1.0, you have had fewer than expected, over 1.0 and you've had more than expected. Over 1.0 is very, very bad.

Pretty much every large company that uses contractors has policies that stipulate that any contractor that works on their site must have an EMR number below a certain threshold. If you have a serial gently caress-up on your payroll and he has a couple of lost-time injuries, workers comp claims, or any other OSHA-reportable incidents, he could end up preventing you from being able to bid on jobs where you'd be a subcontractor on their property. This is why (generally) these type of companies have good, well-documented safety procedures and they don't put up with morons or tough-guy/cowboy bullshit. It doesn't matter how productive you are, or how fast you can work. If you fail to follow the rules and get injured, it could cost your company the ability to bid on jobs and potentially ruin the company.

tl;dr version: Yes there is a lot of pressure to make sure your guys are being safe, but it's up to the individual to actually follow the rules. If a guy is habitually unsafe, he will be fired in short order.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had a big construction project going on at work last year.. drilling out a tunnel and filling it with arcane hardware needed for particle physics. I occasionally had to visit the site to work on computers, and the safety procedures those guys had posted were absolutely loving nuts. On hand I respect it, because having safety poo poo in your face all the time really keeps you thinking about it and that's valuable.

But when they post a 14 1/2 MPH speed limit and have guys bitching because I was going 15, well that's taking it a little far.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

xzzy posted:

We had a big construction project going on at work last year.. drilling out a tunnel and filling it with arcane hardware needed for particle physics. I occasionally had to visit the site to work on computers, and the safety procedures those guys had posted were absolutely loving nuts. On hand I respect it, because having safety poo poo in your face all the time really keeps you thinking about it and that's valuable.

But when they post a 14 1/2 MPH speed limit and have guys bitching because I was going 15, well that's taking it a little far.

0.5 MPH has got to be within the margin of error for most any vehicle speedometer, right?

We had to jump through so many goddamn hoops to get onto the petroleum terminal sites. When we were drilling air sparge wells down to 80-90 feet inside the tank field, I had to carry a 4-gas detector (O2, H2S, CO, combustibles) with me at all times and write down the measurements every 30 minutes. We also had to do a 30-minute safety briefing every morning with the terminal manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

A buddy and I ran across this one a few years back in Naples, FL. At least it's a real H1 and not the silly little H2.