Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

2gigs RAM and the fingerprint thing.

Yep. I'm giving my air to a family member if The New Air has 2GB of ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rio posted:

Well, I ordered an Adonit jot pro, so if anyone is interested I could give impressions. I have tried a few different styli on NotateMe (a music notation app) and it is just too imprecise having large tips.
Looked at the Jot Script? Course the app needs to support it for better accuracy iirc, but I don't know how well (or not) it works without that.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Seriously if they bump the ram next time I'm selling my current air.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Is there a reason that no one has reduced the touch interface's lag/latency yet? Or does everyone thinks it's snappy enough? Think that's an upgrade that will actually have a big effect on any touch device.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think that will get faster but it's a software issue. The iPhone 5s is already really fast.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mang Tomas posted:

Is there a reason that no one has reduced the touch interface's lag/latency yet? Or does everyone thinks it's snappy enough? Think that's an upgrade that will actually have a big effect on any touch device.

Try using an android device and you won't find it slow anymore.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Laserface posted:

I'd argue against Apple fanboyism and say that any new Android devices that friends have shown off to me seem about as snappy as an iPhone/iPad, but the amount of other people who buy low-end Android stuff because it's cheap really still makes me think of it as a horrendously sluggish OS. I guess it's one of those cases of "blame the hardware for 90% of devices."

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'd argue against Apple fanboyism and say that any new Android devices that friends have shown off to me seem about as snappy as an iPhone/iPad, but the amount of other people who buy low-end Android stuff because it's cheap really still makes me think of it as a horrendously sluggish OS. I guess it's one of those cases of "blame the hardware for 90% of devices."

I definitely agree on the hardware side of things, as we have these cheap devices at work that we are rolling out to replace lovely old Motorola Leopards and they are my primary experience with Android devices at this time.

Having said that though, my friend had a google nexus or whatever it was a year or so ago, and it felt just as laggy.

Software wise I feel that iOS is about 50 times better in terms of UX.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007

rio posted:

Well, I ordered an Adonit jot pro, so if anyone is interested I could give impressions. I have tried a few different styli on NotateMe (a music notation app) and it is just too imprecise having large tips.

The jot suffers from an engineering flaw. Fix it by folding a piece of tinfoil 4 times over give or take, removing the plastic tip base from the ball joint, sticking the tinfoil between the ball and socket, then pressing them together. Then tear away excess foil. This is essentially filling the space between them with conductive metal. Makes it pretty much flawless afterwards.

P.S. The tinfoil will eventually work its way out of the space between so you'll need to redo this every few months.

Frankenfinger fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 8, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Frankenfinger posted:

The jot suffers from an engineering flaw. Fix it by folding a piece of tinfoil 4 times over give or take, removing the plastic tip base from the ball joint, sticking the tinfoil between the ball and socket, then pressing them together. Then tear away excess foil. This is essentially filling the space between them with conductive metal. Makes it pretty much flawless afterwards.

P.S. The tinfoil will eventually work its way out of the space between so you'll need to redo this every few months.
Forgot about that. This trick basically fills in the gap between the ball joint and disc, it's not always there but can develop over time, like it might be fine when new but start skipping at times later on. Another method is a tiny dab of conductive paste of some sort. Toothpaste can work (although I imagine it varies), some thermal pastes, along with stuff specifically for electrical conduction.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Are there any cases for the mini that stay open when flipped all the way to the back? I'm returning the smart case that I bought because the lid doesn't stay in one goddamn place when I hold it in one hand.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

MasterBuilder posted:

Are there any cases for the mini that stay open when flipped all the way to the back? I'm returning the smart case that I bought because the lid doesn't stay in one goddamn place when I hold it in one hand.

I have the Moshi iGlaze and I like it a lot. The cover is magnetized and stays in place pretty firmly when you flip it back.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Laserface posted:

My galaxy s4 is just as fast as my iPhone 5 in terms of usability.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My galaxy s4 is just as fast as my iPhone 5 in terms of usability.

Yeah, I've tried a few S4's and they're pretty snappy by now. The OS is still poo poo though, along with the battery.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

(Crossposted from Mac Hardware thread)

Look, someone made something other than iCloud to share files between desktop/laptops and iOS devices- check out the iStick:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/isticktm-usb-flash-drive-with-lightning-for-iphone

Yeah, it's a Kickstunter but it actually looks pretty promising; it's essentially a double-ended flash drive, with both a male Lightning and USB connector at either end, and it allows you to share files from Mac/PC via USB, then plug it directly into an iPad/iPhone/iPod with Lighting connector.

There's a freely downloadable app that'll let the iOS devices easily access the files.

Here's a movie that details how it works:

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/assets/001/963/581/82f361510cd39911d061a7ef4009595b_h264_high.mp4

Geeeeez, $65 backer price for an 8 GB key.. how much does that Lightning chip cost?!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 12, 2014

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Watching that was like hearing my customers talk about manually synchronizing their outlook contacts with a cable like it's the dark ages. At least these people are 45+ years old so I can understand it's hard to make the switch to a folderless, wireless computer but why on earth would you spend that much money and time to manually do what the device does completely by itself without any hassle at all, I really don't understand.

And don't give me that cloud security argument because at this point privacy is dead anyway and you're not the president of the US so nobody cares about your spreadsheets anyway.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that looks like a solution in search of a problem. $65 to avoid installing iTunes or iFunbox or Dropbox or SpiderOak or Boxx or ... ? Really?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Is there a thread for games you can get on your tablet? I've control-f'd a whole bunch of pages here and in games but I can't find the drat thing.
Just got a new iPad Air and I'd like to clog it up with terrible shovelware that will eat my life.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Evfedu posted:

Is there a thread for games you can get on your tablet? I've control-f'd a whole bunch of pages here and in games but I can't find the drat thing.
Just got a new iPad Air and I'd like to clog it up with terrible shovelware that will eat my life.
The iOS Games Megathread

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also the iOS board games thread

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
You're both fabulous people.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
I have had the mini ipad since release. Is the retina display and size of the air that much better? I am tempted to go buy one after work today.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

S Danger K posted:

I have had the mini ipad since release. Is the retina display and size of the air that much better? I am tempted to go buy one after work today.

Only you can really judge this. Go play with one and then decide. I personally wouldn't buy a non retina ipad. The speed bump is also ver noticeable.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

S Danger K posted:

Retina display is unquestionably "that much" better. Size is entirely personal preference though. I prefer my Air, my wife prefers her retina Mini.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's not just the display. The A7 processor is wayyyy better than the A5 in the non-retina iPads. Everything you do on your iPad will be so much smoother and faster.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

DarkJC posted:

It's not just the display. The A7 processor is wayyyy better than the A5 in the non-retina iPads. Everything you do on your iPad will be so much smoother and faster.

And crashier.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

bobfather posted:

And crashier.

Not at all, iOS 7.1 is very stable on my iPad Air.

Speaking of ipads, rumors about this iPad Maxi going around:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/05/is-this-apples-ipad-pro-or-a-fake

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Don Tacorleone posted:

7.1 is probably better. 7.0.6 and below is a crash-ridden mess on A7 hardware.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bobfather posted:

For some of you people maybe. Mine I didn't find out there were crashing issues until i heard people bitching about it in the thread.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

SpookyLizard posted:

For some of you people maybe. Mine I didn't find out there were crashing issues until i heard people bitching about it in the thread.

I see posts like this from time to and time and I find it so hard to believe. The crashing was really very bad before 7.1. The retina Mini is awesome now though.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

illcendiary posted:

I see posts like this from time to and time and I find it so hard to believe. The crashing was really very bad before 7.1. The retina Mini is awesome now though.

Agreed. I am not exactly in the power user category and I was getting resprings and safari crashes nonstop. On both the Air and my 5S.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
People are more likely to post about things that are broken.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah we really needed a bunch of posts bitching about an issue that isn't even an issue anymore, that definitely helps answer the guys question.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

kernel panic posted:

I have the Moshi iGlaze and I like it a lot. The cover is magnetized and stays in place pretty firmly when you flip it back.

Thanks I picked up the Moshi versa case and it's working out pretty well.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

bobfather posted:

Well, maybe you should update then. Also the iphone 4 was really bad making calls if you held it a certain way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

They really need to fire the person who keeps making their tablet computer sound like it was made by kotex.

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but does anyone know of a good place to sell old iPad covers/cases? My wife and I have upgraded to Airs and have a collection of cases & covers from pervious generations just lying around. It feels weird to just toss them, and they don't exactly strike me as things to give to Goodwill.

Thoughts?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Ebay, Craigslist, SA Mart, really whatever you normally do when you want to get rid of stuff without just tossing it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I handful of crashes all directly tied to selecting apps with the multitasker, usually ones that hadnt been opened in a while. Once i figured that out, no more crashes. And avoided using the multitasker for anything but back-and-forth usage, i had barely any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Had a weird issue with my iPad 2 earlier where my contacts were empty, my YouTube app had logged me out and Bluetooth had a ghost version of my Bluetooth speaker that was turned off, and when I turned it on it showed up under another "Not Paired" listing. I fixed it by turning it off and on again but am wondering if it's indicative of some other issue with memory or something. Anyone else experienced anything like that?