Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Ending is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cowcaster posted:

Uh, is the double durability thing really strictly only on corpses? I think it was basically anything that doesn't count as terrain. He was just using corpses as an example because they make good test dummies.

It seems like it's everything that isn't terrain, as when I hit a wall I don't see the bar move at all, but several enemies will definitely drop it noticeably.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like Sorcery is the dex weapons of magic. Sure, it doesn't hit as hard as Hexes and Miracles but it has such a good moveset. You can really mix it up and keep harrying people with Homing Soulmasses, Soul Spears, and Soul Greatsword.

I could be completely wrong but eh, I dig it :shrug:

That's not a bad comparison. In addition, both are worse in PVE but superior in PVP due to greater variety in moves and all around better moves for actually hitting people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

You reminded me...

Thomas the tank engine cosplay

Oh. my. god. :stare:

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
So what's a good boss to grind sunlight medals on? I've done Sinner and OIK, and I tried co-oping OIK earlier this evening, but results were not encouraging.

1/6 hosts rolled into lava dodging punches.
2/6 hosts got punched in the face and knocked into lava.
3/6 hosts got set on fire, punched in the face, and knocked into lava.

I was literally talking at my screen; "Guys! That little ledge round to the right is NOT a super-secret hidey-hole that will magically make you immune to all the boss's attacks! Do you think the devs are loving idiots?"

So after that wasted 10 minutes or so (on the up, at least the hosts died fast!) I decided to try my luck over at Smelter, and Co-op there has been much more helpful - I'm getting about 2/3rds success in hosts not getting themselves murdered by the boss before I can gently caress him up with lightning spears and emit force. But I'm at just over 700k SM, and I'm worried I'm going to levelout of the bracket for Smelter,with him not being one of the Big Four.

So, any tips on where I should hang out my sign for best results?

EDIT: Related question - I'm assuming the ranks in the covenants listed on the wikis are all from scratch, right? So it's 10 medals to rank 1 of Sunlight, 20 more medals to Rank 2, 30 more to Rank 3?

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 12, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have been enjoying this game a lot though I haven't had that much free time to play it, to save me some time trying out like 50 different things could someone recommend some powerful/unusual weapons that I could create a build around (especially stuff with built in elemental damage and scaling)? Or similarly armour with cool unique stuff like the extra souls from the armour merchant's set.

Other probably bad/wrong observations I have made: quality builds and pure physical builds in general feel basically outclassed by imbues + weapon enchantments, adaptability doesn't seem to do much except make rolling easier (probably still good for PvP though).

I'd run though the thread to find some earlier discussion on this since I'm sure they're common topics but you know, 400 pages.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

It seems like it's everything that isn't terrain, as when I hit a wall I don't see the bar move at all, but several enemies will definitely drop it noticeably.

No, it's only hitting corpses (And presumably non-hostile targets like phantoms, since I believed they're grouped together). Check that reddit post if you want to see actual numbers. That said, hitting multiple enemies will drain durability faster because you're hitting multiple things at once. In addition, armored enemies tend to make your weapon take higher durability damage than walls. And if you kill an enemy in a crowd and keep swinging, you'll probably hit its corpse doing even more damage.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Do I have to beat Nashandra in NG++ to get the chancellor to sell the spells you can otherwise only get from covenants?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ninjaiguana posted:

So after that wasted 10 minutes or so (on the up, at least the hosts died fast!) I decided to try my luck over at Smelter, and Co-op there has been much more helpful - I'm getting about 2/3rds success in hosts not getting themselves murdered by the boss before I can gently caress him up with lightning spears and emit force. But I'm at just over 700k SM, and I'm worried I'm going to levelout of the bracket for Smelter,with him not being one of the Big Four.

So, any tips on where I should hang out my sign for best results?

Dude I could still Sunbro Smelter at 1.3 m, you're fine

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I think Adaptability is actually a trap stat if you plan to invest in attunement at all. Att provides less agility but carries the more important benefit of giving you more spells and casting speed. The only notable thing Adp gives you is agility. You get poise from it but poise is a joke in this game. Once you have enough Att alone to get good agility, any points put into Adp aren't doing that much. However, putting points into Adp early on isn't a big deal since you can just use a soul vessel to redistribute them once you have high Att.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there any advantage to 'dual wielding' by simply alternating left/right attacks over powerstancing? The former seems to be much quicker and less expensive stamina wise, but powerstancing gives me massive burst (which I then have to take a breather from). Anyone else been experimenting with that stuff?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there any advantage to 'dual wielding' by simply alternating left/right attacks over powerstancing? The former seems to be much quicker and less expensive stamina wise, but powerstancing gives me massive burst (which I then have to take a breather from). Anyone else been experimenting with that stuff?

For PVP, potentially. Some r1 l1 alternating combos allow you to stunlock someone until they die or you run out of stamina.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
:dance: Literary Corner :dance:

For anyone interested in dark atmospheric fantasy that bears a mood similar to the Dark Souls series, you would do well to check out what is considered to be the 'first Gothic novel', the classic "Castle of Otranto."

The book and its audio recording both in public domain and free.

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-castle-of-otranto/id498731376?mt=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSYu2yW_kw

To give a brief summary - it is essentially a depressing and dire ghost story of tragedy and eerie doom taking place in medieval times.

Its most iconic imagery is the buildup to the apparition of a gigantic knight, brought about by an unintentional curse in the line "that the castle and lordship of Otranto should pass from the present family, whenever the real owner should be grown too large to inhabit it."

The novel was written in 1764 by Horace Wadpole - he invented a fake history for it which he tried to pass off as real for added credibility, which is a bit silly as the novel stands on its own quite incredibly. Nevertheless, his prologue where he talks of the false history and context does a great job of setting the atmosphere of the story.

In addition to the gigantic knight (and there are lots of those in the Dark Souls series) there's lots of skulking around castles, secret passages, swordfighting, tragic death, undeath, doomed curses, and ghosts. Oh, and atmosphere. While reading the novel (or listening to the audiobook) you can practically feel the damp cold castle stone surrounding you in dark hallways.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ninjaiguana posted:

EDIT: Related question - I'm assuming the ranks in the covenants listed on the wikis are all from scratch, right? So it's 10 medals to rank 1 of Sunlight, 20 more medals to Rank 2, 30 more to Rank 3?

Haha no, it's 30 total to SUNSPEER.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
Right now I want to slap the person who though linking the window for activating guard break and jump attack to the FPS was a good idea. I should not have to limit my fps to be able to preform them reliably with my controller. :argh:

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Haha no, it's 30 total to SUNSPEER.

:stare:

I....what? Just....what?!

Guess I'll need waaaaaay less co-op than I thought!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ninjaiguana posted:

:stare:

I....what? Just....what?!

Guess I'll need waaaaaay less co-op than I thought!

I hope you don't want Wrath of the Gods or Bountiful Sunlight

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Genocyber posted:

That's not a bad comparison. In addition, both are worse in PVE but superior in PVP due to greater variety in moves and all around better moves for actually hitting people.

That is actually what I was getting at but I somehow forgot to actually make the "better in PvP" claim in my post. :downs:

I just assumed people would take my meaning by SUBTEXT clearly.

At least it's not just me!

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

I hope you don't want Wrath of the Gods or Bountiful Sunlight

Ahaha, yeah. Not sure why they decided to shaft the Smurfs like that. Fortunately, lightning is all I need to feel fulfilled! :science:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Genocyber posted:

For PVP, potentially. Some r1 l1 alternating combos allow you to stunlock someone until they die or you run out of stamina.

Oh, powerstancing doesn't give any poise damage bonus? I assumed it combined both weapons.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh, powerstancing doesn't give any poise damage bonus? I assumed it combined both weapons.

No, it does, it's just the r1 l1 combos are faster than the powerstance ones and have less stamina cost.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

It does, I was talking about alternative r1s and l1s when you're not powerstancing, which I thought is what you were asking about.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

poptart_fairy posted:

Maybe that could possibly matter if you're powerstancing rapiers but otherwise you really don't need to optimize your poise damage.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I am completely addicted to co-op in this game. I don't know what has gotten into me. I've been helping people clear out Bridge Approach for the past two hours or so. Even got the chariot-boss done a few times. I should progress through the game, but I just... I just want to help people and gain levels. :unsmith:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Zaphod42 posted:

It punishes you for buttonmashing, which makes perfect sense in Dark Souls.

As to not knowing about it, well, that sucks. But it makes sense that hitting anything more than you have to lowers durability, and if you keep an eye on your durability you could figure it out with minor trial and error. Lots of dark souls requires actually having a brain and using it for some deductive reasoning. Its rare in modern games, I know.

I think running out of stamina and being stuck in an attack animation are the actual perils of buttonmashing. But regardless, you don't even need to buttonsmash to gently caress up your weapon, even in co-op you can barely get through an area to the boss without needing to dump powder on that poo poo.

For example caestus or polearms. Or whips. Even ultra greatswords that you'd think are built to last.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gortarius posted:

I think running out of stamina and being stuck in an attack animation are the actual perils of buttonmashing. But regardless, you don't even need to buttonsmash to gently caress up your weapon, even in co-op you can barely get through an area to the boss without needing to dump powder on that poo poo.

For example caestus or polearms. Or whips. Even ultra greatswords that you'd think are built to last.

The large club, if you accidentally hit your phantom buddy or a dead body, will take about 1//5 of it's durability.

WatchTHIS
Oct 26, 2010

Violent action ensues.
For those of you who have done no-bonfire, Illusory Ring of the Exalted runs, how did you handle the second half of the game such as the Drangnleic to Crypt, and Aldia's to Dragon Shrine portions. For lack of a Primal Bonfire kind enough to send one back home, is the only recourse to crawl back out of these terrible places? I just lit the bonfire after the Looking Glass Knight and am trying to plan out how exactly to go about this.

On an unrelated note, perhaps one of the console thread crossposters can help me to understand the ire directed towards Santier's Spear.

On PC it has been extremely rare for me to see people using it, and of those people even fewer seemed to know the weapon's full moveset. Most of the Santier's I've encountered while making my way through the Brotherhood of Blood ranks have been content to use only 2HR1, and the Sprinting/Backstep 2HR1 to little effect.

While to me Santier's Spear seems a strong and unique 'build-around-me' type of weapon, the community at large seems to reject it. I am curious if this stems from a period upon release when the weapon was a much more ubiquitous 'problem' than it is now on PC. Or if the hate for the weapon is based on some build that is much more degenerate than anything I have seen so far on PC. Opinions on the weapon and its representative builds would be illuminating.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

"the community" (which is really just the dumbass Twitch honor duelers) hates it because it's good and doesn't require much skill to use. They ignore, of course, the fact that it is very easily parried and the majority of people that use it are very predicable. And I think at this point most people don't care; now they're mad ad backstep parrying.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Azuth0667 posted:

Do I have to beat Nashandra in NG++ to get the chancellor to sell the spells you can otherwise only get from covenants?

Nope, you can buy them as soon as you get to him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I've steamrolled ng and ng+ with the hex advice I have gotten from this thread, so I decided to mix it up and fully upgraded that statue ultra greatsword, some armor, and decided to crush my way through ng++. Needless to say, I look totally badass.

That said, Str builds seem blah. 600 dmg with a +5 boss weapon and 50 str? My crappy hexer mace did almost 400! Maybe I should start using pyro or faith to augment things.

Could you share that hexer advice, or point me in the right direction so I can find it?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Genocyber posted:

"the community" (which is really just the dumbass Twitch honor duelers) hates it because it's good and doesn't require much skill to use. They ignore, of course, the fact that it is very easily parried and the majority of people that use it are very predicable. And I think at this point most people don't care; now they're mad ad backstep parrying.

To be fair it seems dumb as hell.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Backstep parry with a monastery scimitar basically makes you invincible during the entire parry + backstep. Only counter is to outguess them or twohand an ultragreat weapon.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Genocyber posted:

I've definitely had a lot of success using the straight sword/thrusting sword alternating attacks. It doesn't seem to stunlock infinitely, but it often takes a good 4 hits before they can roll out. A really versatile moveset too although a bit lacking in damage. Sometimes you gotta chip down the heavy armor wearers, but its fine since the attacks come out so drat fast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ninjaiguana posted:

Ahaha, yeah. Not sure why they decided to shaft the Smurfs like that. Fortunately, lightning is all I need to feel fulfilled! :science:

Its because redcops vs bloodbros is meant to be the long term pvp struggle of DS2, but because of how the mechanics work that's not going so great. And even if it was, they shouldn't put unique spells behind that as the reward.

I guess its tough though; either you make the reward not unique, in which case you don't need it but you feel lame about getting it, or they make the reward really good, in which the payoff is great but then you have to put in all that effort if you want those items, which sucks.

Although you can already buy the spells on like NG++ anyways, so problem solved?

Being a bluecop is more about staying a bluecop and doing pvp then it is about racing to rank up for rewards like sunbros are.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Blood Bros is loving terrible cause you lose ranking if you lose a fight and the game is so full of pvp fuckery its just a pain in the rear end.

Bellcops forever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Has it been confirmed that upgrading item find equipment actually raises the item find chance or is that just a myth?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^^^ I'd bet its a myth, upgrading anything else doesn't increase its unique bonus effectiveness.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Blood Bros is loving terrible cause you lose ranking if you lose a fight and the game is so full of pvp fuckery its just a pain in the rear end.

Bellcops forever.

Duels aren't meant to be the main mode of rank ups.

They need to combine the way of the blue and guardians of blue covenants so that bloodbro / bluecop battle invasions happen more often.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

delta534 posted:

Right now I want to slap the person who though linking the window for activating guard break and jump attack to the FPS was a good idea. I should not have to limit my fps to be able to preform them reliably with my controller. :argh:
Is that what this is? Jesus loving Christ.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How many bosses are optional? I missed Executioners Chariot, Old Dragonslayer and avoided the Belfry Gargoyles too. Was I supposed to do them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Wow that's terrible, burning an effigy doesn't stop belfry invasions. Guess I gotta turn off my internet since steam in offline mode apparently only turns off the community!