Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

blk posted:

How is one supposed to pronounce "Hartge"?

I believe it's hart-guh, though not with too much emphasis on the 'guh'

Think like Porsche, but Hartge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Auto stop/start on the e9x M3 is hilariously retarded. I turned it on for shits one time and it was awful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

twi posted:

Retard question: how does the auto stop-start feature work? Does it wear out the starter faster or what?

Something about lighting off a little bit of fuel in one cylinder to spin the crank backwards then blah blah.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

MrChips posted:

The engine stops with one piston at or near TDC, then they inject fuel + fire the spark plug in that cylinder to get it going again. It works well, but BMW's system isn't what you'd call smooth, especially in the N55 for some reason.

My local dealer drove me to work in a new F30 328i, a couple miles down the Mainline outside Philly. I'd describe the "rear end" feature as janky. Thankfully it will now remember that you shut it off.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MrChips posted:

The engine stops with one piston at or near TDC, then they inject fuel + fire the spark plug in that cylinder to get it going again. It works well, but BMW's system isn't what you'd call smooth, especially in the N55 for some reason.

I would love to read more about this but I can't find anything on the bmw training material than can be found freely online. Anyone have a link or more nerdy stuff to read about this? I just thought it used the starter, which I assume is designed to last 37 or 49 months, depending on your warranty length.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Jealous Cow posted:

Auto stop/start on the e9x M3 is hilariously retarded. I turned it on for shits one time and it was awful.

Email from BMW marketing: Install auto start/stop on the LCI M3 as part of our EfficientDynamics program.
Reply from engineers: This is a terrible idea, auto start/stop does not belong on such an aggressive engine
///Marketing: IT'S EFFICIENT AND DYNAMIC DO IT NOW OUR POWERPOINT SAYS SO
engineers: :suicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

As per that page the average is $58,000 AUD

If you cheat and use the number that includes part time wages. If you want to bring underemployment into this, i'll pull some numbers out of the US that will make you cry.

Trambopaline posted:

Ok, I can't help but wade into this debate here just to piss and moan about my own lovable tiny island in the pacific.

The average New Zealand Wage is $43,888 per annum.

The BMW 335i poormobile starts at $107,400

But eh, it's the living in a small country tax. At least I got my beater E36 for a not terrible price.

Edit: But then again one of the seniors where I work drives a M6 averagemobile which apparently is six times the average wage of New Zealand. :homebrew:

Here's a country with a genuine gripe(although median wage and average wage aren't the same). New zealand even gets hosed by aussies on their cars. Tbat 30k ute in australia is 45k in new zealand.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

twi posted:

Retard question: how does the auto stop-start feature work? Does it wear out the starter faster or what?

Fun fact: BMW owners manuals expressly state using Stop/Start will wear out components quicker

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

If you cheat and use the number that includes part time wages. If you want to bring underemployment into this, i'll pull some numbers out of the US that will make you cry.

http://mattcowgill.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/what-is-the-typical-australians-income-in-2013/#more-1491

quote:

What is the typical Australian worker’s wages?

Among full-time workers, the average wage is $72 800 per year. But remember – the average (ie. the mean) gives a misleading impression about what the typical worker earns. It is pushed upwards by the large salaries of a small number of very high income earners.

The median gives a more accurate sense of the typical worker’s wages. If you earn the median salary, your wage is in the middle of the distribution – it’s higher than 50% of workers and lower than the other 50%. Among full-time workers, the median was $57 400 in August 2011, which is the most recent figure.

Also, using one countries' domestically-produced vehicles to compare to another is flawed because those vehicle will always be cheaper due to tarrifs. Falcons and Commodores are going to be cheaper here for the same reason that Mustangs and Corvettes are cheaper in their home market.

You are going to have a hard time convincing anyone that Australians get good pricing on imported vehicles, particularly upper/prestige ones.

Base Porsche Cayman RRP
US - $54000
AU - $123000

You really think our wages are that much better to account for that disparity?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

http://mattcowgill.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/what-is-the-typical-australians-income-in-2013/#more-1491

Also, using one countries' domestically-produced vehicles to compare to another is flawed because those vehicle will always be cheaper due to tarrifs. Falcons and Commodores are going to be cheaper here for the same reason that Mustangs and Corvettes are cheaper in their home market.

You are going to have a hard time convincing anyone that Australians get good pricing on imported vehicles, particularly upper/prestige ones.

Base Porsche Cayman RRP
US - $54000
AU - $123000

You really think our wages are that much better to account for that disparity?

way to skip the entire discussion, and repeat the same points.

If you want to use median wage instead of average, the median US wage is 27,519, sourced here http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2012

That means the median is almost exactly half of that in australia.

on the porsche australia site, they list the cayman at $119k driveaway. Subtract the luxury tax, stamp duty, insurance, and registration costs and that's $103,000. subtract the 10% GST (as taxes aren't included in the us price)from that and it's $93,600, or 1.63 times the median wage, compared to 1.93 times the median US wage. To put it another way, taken over 5 years, it would cost $18,720 a year, or 32.6% of the median income in australia. In the US it's 39.2% of the median income. Meaning, in australia, the only thing even bringing the price UP to the same level as the US is the luxury tax.

The very high end cars are bonkers, and obvious outliers, but i highly doubt anybody here is buying a brand new CL65 anytime soon anyways. If you look at the average car or person, the median australian wage will buy you a 220i coupe or 316i sedan, the median american wage won't buy you a BMW at all. Full time at minimum wage in australia will buy you a 265hp RWD 6 speed stick sedan, on the road for 12 months with insurance and rego and all of that. In the us, full time minimum wage is $14,500. the cheapest car for sale is the nissan versa at $11,998, plus destination/handling is $12,800. most states have a 4-6% sales tax, cutting it down the middle at 5% brings you to $13,440. That leaves you $1060 for a years worth of insurance, and registration. And that's only for the cheapest car on the road.

edit: another example. The toyota GT86 is 91.5% of the median US wage, or 52% of the median aussie wage. The base 2015 wrx is 95.5% of the US wage before taxes/etc, or 75.2% of the aussie wage out the door. Bmw 435i is 162% of the us wage before taxes, 126% of the aus wage before taxes, 154% of the aus wage after taxes.

Like i mentioned earlier, there are entire sectors of the US economy where the average hourly wage for the entire industry from entry level to management is less than the aussie minimum wage. You really don't seem to grasp how easy you have it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 13, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there any recommend shop for basic BMW service in Seattle? Search isn't working so sorry if this is a repeat question. It's for an E91 325xit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If you're in the south end, South lake European is a solid shop, I think they offer a CCA discount too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm in Fremont, but a good shop is worth the drive to me. I looked at the service receipts for this car and I'm pretty sure the dealer my dad took it to charges about 10000% markup & sucks to boot (dealer in California).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've heard good things about car tender too.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

way to skip the entire discussion, and repeat the same points.

If you want to use median wage instead of average, the median US wage is 27,519, sourced here http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2012

No, the *full time* gross median is $39550 or $791/wk

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/gender-pay-gap-stayed-relatively-consistent-past-decade-look-median-weekly-income/
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/wkyeng.t01.htm

quote:

on the porsche australia site, they list the cayman at $119k driveaway.

As per my State, (WA) its $127k (updated price from link below)

quote:

Subtract the luxury tax, stamp duty, insurance, and registration costs and that's $103,000. subtract the 10% GST (as taxes aren't included in the us price)from that and it's $93,600, or 1.63 times the median wage, compared to 1.93 times the median US wage. To put it another way, taken over 5 years, it would cost $18,720 a year, or 32.6% of the median income in australia. In the US it's 39.2% of the median income. Meaning, in australia, the only thing even bringing the price UP to the same level as the US is the luxury tax.

Yes lets remove the mandatory post-rrp costs that are a significant contributor to the high AU market prices in the first place in order to prove a point.

Actually no, lets not. Insurance and registration sure, we can remove those from the equation. GST is included in the rrp price and luxury car tax is charged on top of that (yes, a tax on a tax).

So lets try this again (with AU price breakdown from here http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/new/details/2014-porsche-cayman-981-686137?R=686137&Silo=spec&Vertical=car&Ridx=0&eapi=2-)

US - MSRP - $52600
Dest - $995
5%Tax - $2680

So $56275.

AU - RRP - $101228
DealerDel- $4995
Stamp Duty-$6910
LCT - $13772

So $126905.

So US car is 1.4x annual US median wage. AU car is 2.2x annual AU median wage. Big difference. And even if your point was based on the RRP cost alone before any taxes or charges, the Australian car still works out more expensive. (1.3x vs. 1.6x)

[edit] BMW pricing for some thread relevance :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Please go post somewhere else. I enjoy reading posts about BMW's in this thread.

Edit: loving hell....that links to a drat Porsche. You couldn't even compare a BMW...

gigButt fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 13, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
We get it, Australians are too poor to own even poor person BMWs, who the gently caress cares. Go cry about it over the hood of your cheap V8 utes.

plz ship more XB Falcon GTs here thx

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of luxury car owners arguing over who is the most poor is pretty funny though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's me, I'm the most poor

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

It's me, I'm the most poor

Quick, who has the most e30s in AI. Cause its them. That person is the poorest awesomeist.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Well, if yer gonna pay over $300k for a 7 you might as well pay over $400k and chip in for some roads and stuff. :smugjones:

Some of that just sounds like a gently caress you from BMW as well, meaning they just would rather send all the 7's to China and the Middle East.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

Well, if yer gonna pay over $300k for a 7 you might as well pay over $400k and chip in for some roads and stuff. :smugjones:

Some of that just sounds like a gently caress you from BMW as well, meaning they just would rather send all the 7's to China and the Middle East.
The 760Li is 2,563,500rmb in China, which is roughly equivalent to $411,549.42.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It's almost like the price of things is not necessarily based on what they cost to make but rather on what people are prepared to pay for them in a particular market.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sanchez posted:

It's almost like the price of things is not necessarily based on what they cost to make but rather on what people are prepared to pay for them in a particular market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

:colbert:

What you are talking about was almost the entirety of my decision to leave the UK, Americans are so drat spoiled for access to goods.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Popete posted:

A bunch of luxury car owners arguing over who is the most poor is pretty funny though.

I've been really tempted to put an "I am the 99%" bumper sticker on my BMW, just to see how much it confuses people.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I used to laugh when dudes in $50,000+ lifted F250 monster trucks or Denali's would sneer and say poo poo like

"oh you must get paid too much or be a yuppie or something"

in regards to the 10 year old E46 330i I had that I worked on myself ......sometimes, I'm old and lazy now so gently caress that

Whatever. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

I used to laugh when dudes in $50,000+ lifted F250 monster trucks or Denali's would sneer and say poo poo like

"oh you must get paid too much or be a yuppie or something"

in regards to the 10 year old E46 330i I had that I worked on myself ......sometimes, I'm old and lazy now so gently caress that

Whatever. :colbert:

Yeah, my neighbor with the $1000/month payment on his diesel f350 once asked me how i spend so much on cars. when most of them represent 1 or 2 of his monthly payments.

I just said i deal drugs, no need to shatter the illusion.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
My $2300 '00 528iT with 'transmission issues' and 'ABS light on' needed about $80 in mechanical work (ABS rebuild). Then about one and a half thousand on top of that in cosmetic work - body/paint, replacement of various parts that were disintegrating or missing (badges, wheel caps, headlights, etc), maximum window tint - for SUVs, anyway, what I have is illegal but with what they're passing off as SUVs these days it's hard to make the distinction. My dad questioned why I was dumping so much money to fix up a car I paid so little for... because what else am I gonna go? Go out and buy a newer, off-lease BMW and make $400/mo payments for six years? gently caress that. Some girl even mistook my wagon for a newer X3. It's the ultimate stealth beater, nobody will never know how little I paid for it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You want your car to be passed of as an X3?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, the ABS pump in my E46 failed. $$$$$

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's got to be the easiest junkyard part to find ever.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
How does one go about finding a junkyard that has a specific car in stock? Just google junkyards and call them at random?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
car-part.com

Or go to pull-a-part.com if you want to wrench by yourself. Otherwise just call your locals places and ask.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
row52.com is good too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Car-part directed me to a $20 E39 power steering pump just a few miles away at a yard where they not only pulled it for me ahead of time, but let me take a look at the virtually complete 540i that was junked due to a 'bad rear end' to see if I needed anything else yanked off for cheap. You can get some good parts luck on there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've had pretty good luck searching car-part.com for just the engine of model I'm looking for parts for. Some yards will yank the engine and enter it into the system but leave the rest of the corpse in the u-pick-it area.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Any tips on testing e39 540i pusher fan? I found what I believe is the big honkin fuse (#75, 50 amps), fuse is good. No spin when the a/c's on. I've got the resistor pack fan, not the PWM one. It's never worked while I've owned it, and I wanted to get it spinning before a big road trip.

Further question, if I'm okay with the noise, can i just bypass that stupid rear end resistor pack?

e: it's fuse #75, not a $75 fuse, oops

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 15, 2014

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm picking up my F11 on Saturday, provided things go well in the registration office tomorrow. So excited I have trouble sleeping, despite absolutely everyone pointing out it's an old man's car.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Mokotow posted:

I'm picking up my F11 on Saturday, provided things go well in the registration office tomorrow. So excited I have trouble sleeping, despite absolutely everyone pointing out it's an old man's car.

As long as it's an Alpina D3 you have nothing to be ashamed of :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
All this talk of 7's had me looking at ebay, holy poo poo depreciation is incredible on them. A 2013 750li that stickered for 105k with ~10k miles can be had for 70-75k now. That's $35,000 in lost value in 12 months.