Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Wade Wilson posted:

What John tapped by Shazam as a new Captain Marvel or something?

Nah, John stole Captain Marvel's powers briefly for Reasons.

I'm reading Constantine but it really is a bland effort to milk the franchise, though it pains me to say it. I remember reading the first issue of Hellblazer at the tender age of ten, rented from the local library while on an outing with my day care.

It gave me nightmares.

I went back to it in my late teens when I had access to the internet and found a complete compendium of the issues and trades and tore through it. Constantine was always such a bastard that half the time you were just saddened to see him succeed as he just rolls over whoever can be used as a means to an end.

I'm fairly sure I've read all of the old run, and there really is no comparison between Hellblazer and the new 52's Constantine. I just keep reading it in the hope that someone will come along and revitalize the character.

Is it kosher to discuss the final issue of Hellblazer? I know a happy ending was never really in the cards for John but it seemed a bit bleak is all, wondered what others thought about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It was a bit happy as he was not burning in hell. He is also giving his loved ones freedom from his poo poo. It was the happiest it could be.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
BUMP -

We got a trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That looks...remarkably high budget for an NBC title.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

That looks...remarkably high budget for an NBC title.

Between Grimm and Hannibal NBC has done pretty well with non Must See TV material

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy poo poo, he's still British and the show actually looks really good! :stare: This is basically the opposite of everything I expected.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
But the important question is, how will they pronounce his name?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Baby Broomer posted:

But the important question is, how will they pronounce his name?

Constan-teen. It was in another clip they released.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never thought we'd see a comic accurate John, not after the liberties the film version took. I think I'm more excited for this than anything else comic related that's coming to the small screen.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I see heaven and hell, but no conservatives.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Better than the mediocre movie.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Say Nothing posted:

Better than the mediocre movie.

Does not chain smoke, still loving terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sizone posted:

He can't smoke in the ads, I believe during the show is fair game.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sizone posted:

If he doesn't that's not the fault of the creators. That would all be on the network.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I'm pretty sure NBC doesn't allow smoking on camera, but sometimes shows sneak a little smoke here and there. I think the latest Hannibal did that for example.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I read something months ago that he can have a cig in his hand at any point, he just can't take a drag off it too often.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I read something months ago that he can have a cig in his hand at any point, he just can't take a drag off it too often.

That would be loving hilarious, if 90 percent of the time on the show he had a lit cigarette in his hand, but he never took a puff.

(Side note, the main character in Thank You for Smoking is never shown smoking a cigarette, even though it's made explicit in dialog that he smokes)

Edit: it's slightly bizarre that NBC has to do clever editing to imply someone smokes on Hannibal, but the rest of the show is perfectly fine as aired.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 12, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Other than certain things that the FCC cares about, everything else is based on the advertisers. NBC probably has a deal with some company or anti-smoking charity or whatever that says they can't show smoking if they want to keep getting ad money.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Show looks very watchable. Hopefully it will be on Amazon Prime.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Skwirl posted:

Edit: it's slightly bizarre that NBC has to do clever editing to imply someone smokes on Hannibal, but the rest of the show is perfectly fine as aired.

Apparently the loophole Hannibal uses is that the censors don't care how gory a scene is as long as it's a motionless tableau. As long as they don't show the process of turning someone into a human violin, it's kosher.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Welp, I have no expectations after the mediocre handling of the Keanu movie.

Looks pretty decent, though :unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I will be getting the iTunes pass. I guess it will either be 13 episodes than switch with Hannibal, or 13 episodes then replace another show for its back 9.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I will be getting the iTunes pass. I guess it will either be 13 episodes than switch with Hannibal, or 13 episodes then replace another show for its back 9.

Well it's NBC so it'll be on Hulu+.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Cautiously optimistic over here. Hellblazer is one of my absolute favorite series so it'd be nice to have a good adaptation of it, but I'm not holding out too much hope until we've seen it in action. Also, something about his hair looks strange to me, not sure why.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

Welp, I have no expectations after the mediocre handling of the Keanu movie.

Looks pretty decent, though :unsmith:

I mean, the biggest problems with the Keanu movie (which boil down to "they replaced John with a ball of wet paper") seem to have been fixed. :v:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MagnesiumB posted:

Cautiously optimistic over here. Hellblazer is one of my absolute favorite series so it'd be nice to have a good adaptation of it, but I'm not holding out too much hope until we've seen it in action. Also, something about his hair looks strange to me, not sure why.

I noticed that too. He just looked a bit off. Hair mussed... perfectly. Trenchcoat? Yup but not worn in enough... I'm nitpicking. This looks pretty cool. Wondering if they will go the Supernatural route with some one off episodes and a larger arc threading through?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sporklift posted:

I noticed that too. He just looked a bit off. Hair mussed... perfectly. Trenchcoat? Yup but not worn in enough... I'm nitpicking. This looks pretty cool. Wondering if they will go the Supernatural route with some one off episodes and a larger arc threading through?

I could see them doing it like Original Sins, where its revealed that Nergal is behind all the poo poo, plus Newcastle. It could even end with the reveal that he has a boss and its the first of the fallen/triumvirate.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I could see them doing it like Original Sins, where its revealed that Nergal is behind all the poo poo, plus Newcastle. It could even end with the reveal that he has a boss and its the first of the fallen/triumvirate.

I'm assuming they're going with Newcastle, the trailer shows a clip of a girl he "damned to Hell" so that's gotta be Astra.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Medullah posted:

I'm assuming they're going with Newcastle, the trailer shows a clip of a girl he "damned to Hell" so that's gotta be Astra.

I am sure they will include her and Nergal, as its an important part of his backstory. I wonder if they will include him getting his blood, and banging the purity out of Zed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

I am sure they will include her and Nergal, as its an important part of his backstory. I wonder if they will include him getting his blood, and banging the purity out of Zed?

Nergal has been cast alresdy.

It's pretty obvious that the show takes place right after Newcastle, because that's when John was committed into Ravenscar. The pilot is probably going to start with the botched exorcism, and definitely has flashbacks to it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Okay yeah there is nothing about this I am not 100% OK with

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What are the odds of Hellblazer's politics coming into the series?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

What are the odds of Hellblazer's politics coming into the series?

I don't think ragging on Thatcher and the Tories is going to be all that topical stateside.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
True, but at the same time I could totally see NBC being cool if John talked poo poo about the tea party now and again. Not saying it's likely, but I do think NBC is the network with the best chance of allowing it.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

sporklift posted:

This show was likely greenlighted on the back of Sleepy Hollow's great performance last fall, so I'm gonna guess it'll take a similar trajectory to that.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

coffeetable posted:

This show was likely greenlighted on the back of Sleepy Hollow's great performance last fall, so I'm gonna guess it'll take a similar trajectory to that.

I think Supernatural, Sleepy Hollow, and the fact that all the stories are already written. Makes Constantine a perfect choice. I just hopeI enjoy the show. I know I am going to watch it no matter what. Just like I did with Lost. I watched the entire thing when it aired. I still regret that decision. Somethings can not be unwatched.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Baby Broomer posted:

True, but at the same time I could totally see NBC being cool if John talked poo poo about the tea party now and again. Not saying it's likely, but I do think NBC is the network with the best chance of allowing it.

Devil's advocate: Rage Against The Machine got banned from NBC for putting inverted U.S. flags on their amps and playing anti-capitalist songs on an episode hosted by Steve Forbes.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The political climate isn't quite the same as it was when RATM was a major thing, to be fair.

e: Yeah, that was 2 loving decades ago jesus christ. NBC isn't even under the same ownership anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Devil's advocate: Rage Against The Machine got banned from NBC for putting inverted U.S. flags on their amps and playing anti-capitalist songs on an episode hosted by Steve Forbes.

Was that that on SNL? Because apparently Lorne Michaels goes loving ballistic when guests go odd script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Holy poo poo, he's still British and the show actually looks really good! :stare: This is basically the opposite of everything I expected.

I hadn't realized they were filming in Atlanta; I saw the skyline shot and went "what the gently caress?"

• Locked thread