Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Christ, Reagan was ready to start a constitutional crisis over the Falklands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I don't know that it would be a constitutional crisis. Probably if all else failed he could have gotten Congress to sign onto it.

My recollection is that this was a hypothetical scheme with no steps actually taken to implement it. It's not like Reagan was sitting with his finger on the button ready to go at a moment's notice.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
/\ It was more than a hypothetical scheme, Weinberger and Lehman got authorization from Reagan approving the request and Second Fleet was well along in the contingency planning to where they would've been ready and authorized to execute had Hermes or Invincible gone down. /\

The entire crew being brought on as contractors bit is an exaggeration...if you read the the USNI piece that originally broke the story (based on a speech John Lehman gave in the U.K.), more than likely they would have hired retired crew on as contractors to help the Brits maintain the systems, with the RN providing the bulk of the manpower to crew the ship.

So it wouldn't have been a direct constitutional crisis as active U.S. servicemembers wouldn't have been put in harms way without Congressional authorization (never mind that he arguably already had that authority anyway under the WPR as long as he notified Congress and didn't exceed the 60 day clock), but Congress probably would've gotten rather pissy that the executive had transferred an entire warship to an ally fighting a conflict without bothering to check with State, much less Congress.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 12, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
No way American intervention into Argentina would've lasted 60 days anyway.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The entire conflict only lasted 73 days as it is.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm still amazed the UK won that war.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
But what if the Argies managed to ram an Exocet into the Iwo Jima :ohdear:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

priznat posted:

But what if the Argies managed to ram an Exocet into the Iwo Jima :ohdear:

Picture this but with Reagan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqJ1mTkEuY

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Looks like the Navy's Army's Air Force is down one more Harrier. Better add another F-35 to the order!

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/05/10/Military-jet-crashes-in-Arizona/1451399734341/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol at the picture, can't the lazy fucks get a picture of a US plane at least? Jesus.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtr3rFts8ig&t=242s

This is the way every morning's launches should sound.

e: My favorite part is that you can clearly hear the start cart for the second engine over the shriek of the first engine.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 12, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

e: My favorite part is that you can clearly hear the start cart for the second engine over the shriek of the first engine.

The SR-71 startcarts put out from 800 (400 in two engines) to ~950 HP over the years they were used. The last ones were Buicks if I remember right.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm still amazed the UK won that war.

Can you imagine what would happen if they tried it again? We'd be hosed.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtr3rFts8ig&t=242s

This is the way every morning's launches should sound.

I love the guy at approximately 8:20 who just strolls on with his hands in his pockets, like some jovial, curious old neighbour who pops over to check on what the Hansons next door are working on and make some morning chitchat about top secret Mach 3+ spy planes running off of the Virgin Mary's tittymilk.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

"Yep, sure is a fine machine you got there. All right now, you guys have fun. Say, did you get some new kerb stones while I was down in Florida?"

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

monkeytennis posted:

Can you imagine what would happen if they tried it again? We'd be hosed.

Not really. The Falklands are substantially better garrisoned now than they were in 1982. There's a nuclear sub hovering in the South Atlantic most of the time. And the Argentine military has bought basically zero new ships or fighter aircraft since the 1982 war. You think UK defense has atrophied? Take a look at the Argentine Navy.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Party Plane Jones posted:

The SR-71 startcarts put out from 800 (400 in two engines) to ~950 HP over the years they were used. The last ones were Buicks if I remember right.

First were Buicks, last were Chevy 454's. It was the pinnacle of hot rod tech for the time. When the SR-71 came out, the world of performance engines was different than it was now, and Buick was one of the highest power engines made. Once those wore out Chevy big blocks were the cats rear end, and could be built more powerful and cheaper.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 12, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bacarruda posted:

Not really. The Falklands are substantially better garrisoned now than they were in 1982. There's a nuclear sub hovering in the South Atlantic most of the time. And the Argentine military has bought basically zero new ships or fighter aircraft since the 1982 war. You think UK defense has atrophied? Take a look at the Argentine Navy.

They have 17 ships commissioned after 1982, plus one older ship transformed and recommissioned. However, their new ships aren't in a good state:

Active ARA ships posted:

The submarine fleet is suffering from lack of maintenance and training. The submarines accumulated a total of only 19 hours submerged in 2012 against a minimum requirement of 190 days.

As of 2013 it is reported that the Almirante Brown-class destructores (commissioned 1983/1984) are suffering from engine problems, a lack of spares, lack of training and are unarmed due to their naval ordnance being expired.

Esspora-class corvettes (commissioned 1985-2002) Parker (P-44) and Rosales (P-42) are inactive due to a lack of maintenance and a lack of spares. Spiro (P-43) is inactive after sustaining damage during a grounding accident in August 2012. Drummond-class corvettes are rarely put to sea due to lack of spares, maintenance and cost issues.

Auxiliary ship Almirante Irízar is out of active service since 2007 due to severe fire damage. Currently under repair at a cost of over USD$100 million.
Their new ships since the Falklands War that do not have these maintenance/training/spare parts problems are a tanker bought from France and three coastal buoy tenders bought from the US, and a yacht for some reason; none of which are combat ships. They've got a few aircraft, though their main attack aircraft (10 Super Etendards) are not in a good shape, so most of their operational aircraft are just for patrol or for anti-submarine operations.

The Argentine Air Force decommissioned their Mirages (III, 5, and Nesher) so they only have modernized Skyhawks and Pucaras. Pretty poor shape all around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bacarruda posted:

It's worth mentioning that the RN has exactly one serviceable carrier and exactly zero airplanes for it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Godholio posted:

It's worth mentioning that the RN has exactly one serviceable carrier and exactly zero airplanes for it.

We have a full scale military airbase on the Falklands now. A force that could capture the islands in the first place could not be dislodged by a naval task force.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Plus TLAMs, Storm Shadow, way better ships, etc.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I remember reading a really bad piece of fiction about how THE ARGENTIANS WILL CONQUER AGAIN and it was basically a platform for the author to complain about liberals. Like it was seriously Falkland Islands 2: Electric Boogaloo.

The plan was something like a Russian submarine secretly torpedoing most of the British fleet for under-the-table oil rights with Argentina? Plus a lot of authorial-insert anger over the Harrier FA2 being retired.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
He does sound crazy, but I'm still not sure why you would retire an aircraft from active service before its intended replacement is up and running. It seems...weird, from a "I like planes!" perspective anyways.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's the F-35's fault, actually.

Or MOD's fault for listening to Lockmart about the F-35, but fundamentally, the F-35.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

He does sound crazy, but I'm still not sure why you would retire an aircraft from active service before its intended replacement is up and running. It seems...weird, from a "I like planes!" perspective anyways.

Plus tieing the biggest building program of your navy for the last 30 years or so to the success of a single airplane still in development. Fitting out the QEs with a skijump will never make sense to me.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Bacarruda posted:

At the time of the Falklands war MI6 had no assets in Argentina what so ever. I would expect theres plenty of intelligence from there now so there little chance of something unexpected happening.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The fact that there isn't an articulatable strategic need for the UK to have a carrier at all helps a lot.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Cat Mattress posted:

They have 17 ships commissioned after 1982, plus one older ship transformed and recommissioned. However, their new ships aren't in a good state:

That's true, but most of the new ships they do have were bought in the 1980s immediately after the war and aren't, as you note, in good shape.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Were these like ground air/bleed air in civil aviation or was there an actual mechanical link between the engine and start cart?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Were these like ground air/bleed air in civil aviation or was there an actual mechanical link between the engine and start cart?

Mechanical linkage in the form of a drive shaft though the bottom of the nacelles. Don't forget the shot of TEB to light the engines up. It's totally :black101:.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The SR-71's one of those things where just handing out the technical documents to spies would have been a great way to destroy any credibility they had with the Soviets.

"The Americans are building secret Mach 3 spy-planes using metals they're sourcing from the Soviet Union; they're going to use muscle cars to start them, and the thing's gonna burn special fuel... Oh it's also going to use the fuel to cool the hull, although it's gonna leak all over the place until it gets up to speed because of heat dilatation."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've wondered sometimes why the Soviet Union never attempted to build a spyplane of its own like the SR-71. I mean I get totally that the SR-71 is up there with the Saturn V as one of the great aeronautical engineering feats of all time, but still, you'd expect them to try and imitate, you'd think.

fake e: I asked this question in the AI thread: was the SR-71 an amazing example of pre-computer aided design?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They probably just didn't need one. My (probably very flawed) understanding is that they doubled down on spysats early and intensively, and had some U2-esque bird to cover any gaps.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The nature of the Soviet police state vs the relatively much more free and capitalist West means the Soviets were much more effective with old fashioned spies and moles while we were better with tech-based data collection. The geography / low population density of the remoter parts of USSR also lent themselves more to observation from the sky vs gossipy locals, in ways you really don't get in the West except maybe some seriously frozen parts of Canada.

I'd love to know more about the USSR vs Red China espionage / counter programs, they must've been pretty ugly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

They probably just didn't need one. My (probably very flawed) understanding is that they doubled down on spysats early and intensively, and had some U2-esque bird to cover any gaps.

The Soviets used MiG-25Rs to overfly the UK on occasion: http://bit.ly/1hIbkag

They were a touch later to the party in regards to making a U-2 style plane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myasishchev_M-55

But yeah, their big break were satellites combined with frequent use of recon Bears, Badgers, and Tu-142s basically flying anywhere that still counted as international airspace. They also had the Tu-141 and Tu-123 recon drones, but they didn't get a tremendous amount of use because they're the size of, looked like, and moved as fast as, nuclear-armed cruise missiles. They were also not air-launched.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'd love to know more about the USSR vs Red China espionage / counter programs, they must've been pretty ugly.

I'd imagine it gave both sides a hell of a time, since the areas of the USSR bordering China have an ethnic makeup that's more Asiatic than Caucasian. Probably tilted more in favor of the Soviets, because Kazakhs (Borat aside), actually could pass for Chinese. On the reverse end, you really had to be a remarkably important and/or valuable person to the Soviets if you didn't look like the people who were in charge.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 12, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

The geography / low population density of the remoter parts of USSR also lent themselves more to observation from the sky vs gossipy locals, in ways you really don't get in the West except maybe some seriously frozen parts of Canada.

We call that part "Edmonton"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They also had the Tu-141 and Tu-123 recon drones, but they didn't get a tremendous amount of use because they're the size of, looked like, and moved as fast as, nuclear-armed cruise missiles. They were also not air-launched.

:stare: Who came up with THAT brilliant idea?

priznat posted:

We call that part "Edmonton"

Not even the Soviets care about Edmonton.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

madeintaipei posted:

Mechanical linkage in the form of a drive shaft though the bottom of the nacelles. Don't forget the shot of TEB to light the engines up. It's totally :black101:.

Somebody said TEB?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt4BYGiFws4

FrozenVent posted:

:stare: Who came up with THAT brilliant idea?

More a result of similar functions yielding similar designs than anything else.

The -123 was actually developed from a cancelled cruise missile design (and the -141 was developed from the -123).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Vulcan 607, which I'm 99% sure to have already posted, is a great narrative of the Brits putting the bomb on Port Stanley's runway.

Also the British need a carrier because damnit my inner child that toured the HMS Victory and knew as much as the tour guide needs them to still be able to put at least one decent fleet to sea without literally riding the USN's coattails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This might have been (probably was) posted before, but I just stumbled on it, and the overflight chat made it kind of topical.

Brian Shul babbling about stuff for an hour

"I drank an average of four gallons of Kool-Aid a day for five days"