Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

heytallman posted:

IMO, Rolfe is most interesting when he's talking about films. I like his Monster Madness stuff every October, and he has a couple other videos here and there, like his thoughts on all of the Star Wars films, and some of his favorites, which are good watches (mainly because I'm really big into movies, myself).

I started loving movies and cinematography after I started watching Rolfe's Monster Madness videos and his other reviews; he real got me into the whole art of film making instead of just passively watching a movie and that's something that stuck with me and I still love "odd" movies and old movies to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's a shame that the AVGN movie isn't going to be anywhere as good as he's hyped it up after all these years of working on it.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's a shame that the AVGN movie isn't going to be anywhere as good as he's hyped it up after all these years of working on it.

I hope it's going to meet some of my expectations. I know it won't be as good as he has hyped it to be but I don't think James Rolfe would let his audience down too much

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The plot isn't even relevant anymore. It's a search for the ET cartridge landfill, but we already found that.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Just want to take a moment to applaud you guys for not devolving into a poo poo-flinging fest that has become the LP Blasting Zone. Happy to see intelligent conversation about LP can still happen here.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

heytallman posted:

He's best when he's not doing unfunny sketches in his videos.

My very first AVGN video opened with Bugs Bunny beating the tar out of him and then literally making GBS threads in his face over some previous video. I closed the video right there and never looked back.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Buttass posted:

My very first AVGN video opened with Bugs Bunny beating the tar out of him and then literally making GBS threads in his face over some previous video. I closed the video right there and never looked back.
I remember he said in a commentary somewhere that his girlfriend walked in the moment that happened and had the most skeeved-out look on her face. Don't know if I remember that accurately, but the point is that moment should have been where they just looked at themselves and thought "What the hell are we doing?"

Though I do concur that I like it when James Rolfe is himself and informative. One of my favorite AVGN episodes was where he gave a retrospective on the SwordQuest games for the Atari 2600 and showed the entire history it went through.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

DialTheDude posted:

Though I do concur that I like it when James Rolfe is himself and informative. One of my favorite AVGN episodes was where he gave a retrospective on the SwordQuest games for the Atari 2600 and showed the entire history it went through.

Sometimes his stuff has a lot of heart in it. His Castlevania retrospective was somewhat informative and also had a warm and fuzzy feeling overall. I think it was one of the first glimpses into how his creative process was maturing more at the time. He wasn't quite as crude. I watched those videos just a couple weeks ago and they hold up pretty well, unlike a lot of his earlier stuff.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Slowbeef: since you and Diabetus are now RPing terrible video game Kickstarters, can I call your attention to this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel

(Non-pony-related, despite the title)

It's one of the most horrific things I've seen and it met its funding goal.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Patter Song posted:

Slowbeef: since you and Diabetus are now RPing terrible video game Kickstarters, can I call your attention to this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel

This is just what the History channel needs. They could turn this into a god-damned anime documentary of WW2. Jesus H. Christ man.

:edit:
Upon further examination of this piece of poo poo, they turned Hitler into "Hitora", anime lady by day, Nazi leader by...well day I guess. gently caress I don't know.

:siren:BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!!:siren:

It also gives all the characters measurements. Move over Capcom, with your Prin Prin bullshit, here comes My Little Dictator

I'm now convinced that Kickstarter in general is a piece of poo poo, considering this raised £8,000 ($13,500 approx.).

Thanks for enlightening me Patter.

BMS fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 13, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

quote:

If this project isn't funded, the artwork will be of lesser and poorer quality.

"We will literally poo poo out a worse product if you don't give us enough e-dollars."

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

I'm happy the only concern people had with the game was this.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

BMS posted:

This is just what the History channel needs. They could turn this into a god-damned anime documentary of WW2. Jesus H. Christ man.

The harem anime World War II aspect is bad enough, but the fact that it's flagrantly, unashamedly pro-Nazi raises my eyebrows even more.

"The Battle of Czechoslovakia: The day has come to break bonds and reclaim what is ours. For too long, the Czech state has repressed its kin and ignored the plight of the German people. Today, we fight for our freedom."

Someone wrote that as a description of a campaign in their anime romance dating game based on World War II where you have to seduce female Hitler.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Patter Song posted:

WHY IS THIS A THING?! And it got funding? And met stretch goals? :psyduck:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Better than https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcGPYxpPt6Q

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013

RSCNyx posted:

I'm happy the only concern people had with the game was this.

wtf I don't want politics in my anime

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That poo poo got funded. Greenlit on Steam even. :stare:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Really didn't expect to see that. wow. And that's supposed to be a dating sim?

Doseku fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 13, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nksor posted:

wtf I don't want politics in my anime

Totally not political they swear posted:

Some info on the characters:
Hitora - The leader of Germania. Once an artist, now forced into politics. She is sometimes an arrogant girl, often sweet and sour, but her cuteness shines through. Her dream is to unite all of Europa under one banner, to prevent any countries being divided up over treaties. Based loosely on Adolf Hitler.

Churchill - The leader of Britannia. A sleepy looking girl, she is a worthy adversary and perhaps the one Hitora respects most. Intelligent, a bookworm, and always overworking herself. She commands a mighty navy and the island nation is a fortress. Hitora nicknames her Chinchilla. Based loosely on Winston Churchill.

Cyrano - The leader of the Franzo people. Once a commandant, she has won the hearts of the people and worked her way up to lead. Mostly interested in internal affairs, but a fierce fighter if confronted. Can be very sneaky and is known to lie. Based loosely on Charles de Gaulle.

Starin - The leader of Sovia and Hitora’s sworn enemy. A mysterious character with a height complex. Hitora describes her as a tyrant and a bully, and that despite her sweet looks, she is not to be trusted. Based loosely on Joseph Stalin.

Rinni - The leader of the Italia people. Rather boisterous and happy-go-lucky, although very clumsy. A useful ally to the Axis at times, and a good friend to Hitora. Based loosely on Mussolini.

Zhukov - Starin’s second-in-command, a fierce warrior. Based loosely on Georgy Zhukov.

Yamato - A Japanese teenager, he worked his way up from Footsoldier to General after fierce fighting in China. Following hospitalization after battle, he is called to Germania to become tactician to the dictator Hitora and help her realize her dream.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Patter Song posted:

Totally not political they swear posted:

Some info on the characters:
Hitora - The leader of Germania. Once an artist, now forced into politics. She is sometimes an arrogant girl, often sweet and sour, but her cuteness shines through. Her dream is to unite all of Europa under one banner, to prevent any countries being divided up over treaties. Based loosely on Adolf Hitler.

Churchill - The leader of Britannia. A sleepy looking girl, she is a worthy adversary and perhaps the one Hitora respects most. Intelligent, a bookworm, and always overworking herself. She commands a mighty navy and the island nation is a fortress. Hitora nicknames her Chinchilla. Based loosely on Winston Churchill.

Cyrano - The leader of the Franzo people. Once a commandant, she has won the hearts of the people and worked her way up to lead. Mostly interested in internal affairs, but a fierce fighter if confronted. Can be very sneaky and is known to lie. Based loosely on Charles de Gaulle.

Starin - The leader of Sovia and Hitora’s sworn enemy. A mysterious character with a height complex. Hitora describes her as a tyrant and a bully, and that despite her sweet looks, she is not to be trusted. Based loosely on Joseph Stalin.

Rinni - The leader of the Italia people. Rather boisterous and happy-go-lucky, although very clumsy. A useful ally to the Axis at times, and a good friend to Hitora. Based loosely on Mussolini.

Zhukov - Starin’s second-in-command, a fierce warrior. Based loosely on Georgy Zhukov.

Yamato - A Japanese teenager, he worked his way up from Footsoldier to General after fierce fighting in China. Following hospitalization after battle, he is called to Germania to become tactician to the dictator Hitora and help her realize her dream.

To be fair, judging by their answer to the "Is this political" question, the only politics going on are the politics of how to woo and seduce anime "girls". Primarily "cute anime girls in uniform", based on the individuals responsible for the Holocaust.

Their Response posted:

Nope. In no way can this game be considered political. It's set in a fictional universe with fictional characters. Hitora isn't Adolf Hitler, Starin isn't Joseph Stalin. The main drive of the game is for the player to have fun battling, and to see cute girls in uniform and try to woo them. There are one or two silly satirical jokes but the game tends to stay away from satire and political humour generally speaking.

$13,500 raised ladies and gents, this is what it takes to be a kickstarter success.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I blame loving Hetalia. Isn't that some stupid rear end harem that anthropomorphizes all the countries in WW2 and makes them anime as gently caress?

EDIT:
Loosely based?! Stalin's "caricature" is the Engrish way to spell Stalin!

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 13, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

I just need to emphasise that this is a thing somebody wrote:

quote:

Somebody looked at Hitler, and thought 'cuteness shines through, is pro european unity'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is actually fantastic and I can't stop watching it. Holy poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my gosh, it's like I'm watching a high school sitcom. All this needs is Z-snapping.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

TARDISman posted:

Loosely based?! Stalin's "characterization" is the Engrish way to spell Stalin!

That's not what characterization is.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Waffleman_ posted:

I wish every anime had that dialogue.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

That's not what characterization is.

Sorry, had a mild brain fart and mixed up characterization with caricature.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Based loosely on Adolf Hitler.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 13, 2014

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Based loosely on Adolf Hitler.

Shut up about DSP already

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Princess Sheepy posted:

There's nothing odd about that. There are quite a few streaming communities which have multiple streamers that take turns and such. There was one in particular I used to visit called DEEP GAMES which had quite a few and there were open applications to join as a streamer available. The community itself was pretty toxic though, so I'm not sure if they're a good example.
I used to visit one too, but the community was okay aside from one guy who would call "stream dibs" on PS3 games because he imported them ahead of time. One of them was Bayonetta, and he was AWFUL at it. Probably almost near DSP level awful, because he used up like 20 continues, but he had bought it on launch and called dibs which was basically like an LP of a game immediately as its launched. It was painful as all hell to watch him continuously fail boss fights over and over. After that he imported and streamed FFXIII and then they gave him the boot, presumably because people got sick of him calling dibs.

There was also a time when nearly everyone streamed Spelunky (the freeware version) and it got to where people in chat would end up groaning about it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I'm going to LP this as revenge for Rule 5.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So, you guys remember that little "LP" of Super Mario RPG, that a fellow named "LordoftheJimmy" posted titled Super Mario Guy RPG? Chip and Ironicus did an RP of them as well.

Well Chip and Ironicus, LOOK AT WHAT YOU FAILED TO STOP.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He looks EXACTLY like you'd expect him to.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

He looks EXACTLY like you'd expect him to.

The fedora and neckbeard were a like fish in a barrel, didn't expect to see a somewhat professional microphone in the background, plus if you count the Keyboard, this guy's almost a regular Blues Brother!

....an extremely goony looking Blues Brother, but a BB none the less.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I liked the strategically placed Stravinsky music book.

Also, KRK monitors. I want KRK monitors. :negative:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Gamingo has a deep, dark secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMewYTnBleY

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Okay, but seriously, who didn't see that coming?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I still can't get over the loving terrible Starin VN.

Based loosely on Adolf Hitler. Mein Pomf =3

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

TARDISman posted:

Sorry, had a mild brain fart and mixed up characterization with caricature.

That's not what caricature is either. You're not looking for a word that exists, and also, it's not "loosely based" on Josef Stalin because it's more like a bad propaganda cartoon version of Stalin. It's totally a political game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

That's not what caricature is either. You're not looking for a word that exists, and also, it's not "loosely based" on Josef Stalin because it's more like a bad propaganda cartoon version of Stalin. It's totally a political game.

But that is what a caricature is, an exaggeration of some characteristics and an oversimplification of others. Propaganda cartoons are in essence, caricatures.
Either way, it's a stupid as hell anime thing that was spawned from whatever hole thought Hetalia was a good thing, so whatever.

• Locked thread