Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

So long as you've not been paid to do that and know what you did wrong I'm ok with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Hey since this is the bad programmers thread would someone explain pi calculus

I looked at the Wikipedia page but i don't understand it

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

It's basically Go minus C

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sounds awful

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

iirc theres a streaming json lib somewhere

this poo poo seems to have been written years ago and is totally out of date.

xhtml is dead (rip)

sgtreaming json exists

yeah i guess u could string up integers. maybe something like xslt? literally everything in xml has been recreated for json where it makes sense, except poorly

i miss proper schemas.

my post is out of date?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

some place wants to pay me $22 an hour to write unit tests for their web program in a browser automation thing or something

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

give it a go, you can always quit

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

and when you do you can steal all the pens

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
hey shaggar i am making a gui for a c# data analysis program i made

xaml is loving awesome. i dont want to jinx myself but i think i might be actually enjoying it :wth:

question though: i am currently making some plot and chart user controls using <canvas> and amble amount of data bindings and converters
is it possible to have the coordinates for my canvas lines and stuff be between (0,0) and (1,1). currently i am using a fixed size for my user controls but i really want them to be stretchable since i will have a lot of them in the main window

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i was gonna say you could write a scaling converter to adapt the 0-1 range in your viewmodel to the current height/width of the canvas control, but there is apparently a scaletransform class to do this for you.

I've never used it but you add it to the layouttransform section of ur canvas. goog can probably provide better examples.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

some place wants to pay me $22 an hour to write unit tests for their web program in a browser automation thing or something

selenium blows

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i used a c# web testing framework to scrape okcupid it workedforme

they do this weird thing with your cookies and javascript so htmlagilitypack or whatever the gently caress didnt work even with the bullshit that makes sessions a thing in it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

selenium blows

is it worse than janitoring computers for 80 year olds (no)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

it's worse than blowing eighty year old janitors

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i do not have experience in that maybe you could enlighten us

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Luigi Thirty posted:

my sense is that anyone who thinks a different person should write the code and the unit tests is either laughably incompetent or doesn't know what a unit test is

agree/disagree?

[note: this does not mean you shouldn't take the job, it is more of a tangent]

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

nrook posted:

my sense is that anyone who thinks a different person should write the code and the unit tests is either laughably incompetent or doesn't know what a unit test is

they might not have any, and they expect someone to be able to build a few around the behaviour it already has

they might have existing tests and they're porting them to a new framework

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pi calculus is a formal model for systems made up of separate processes that do things concurrently and pass messages to each other across channels. like lambda calculus, it provides the absolute minimum functionality needed. pi calculus is useful inside academia because it has already been studied substantially, so the readers of your research paper will be familiar with it, allowing you to use it as a starting point. and because the model is formal, you can write formal proofs about the things you construct on top of it. if you're not trying to prove anything correct, and you're not trying to design a new language, then you probably don't need to understand pi calculus. you would never program directly in it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

just integrate arctan

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
just popping in to say that i made a little module/library that converts timecode (in a variety of formats, dropframe, framerate, etc), to frames (and vice versa) and so on and i enjoyed it a lot. i've done this programming many times before but i keep having to repeat it because every time i'm like "WHERE IS THAT CODE UGH" and then can't find it.

anyhow i found it very envigorating and enjoyable. programming is pretty satisfying when you keep it simple and modular.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
fart

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

my post is out of date?

no the paper valeyard linked

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hey shaggar i am making a gui for a c# data analysis program i made

xaml is loving awesome. i dont want to jinx myself but i think i might be actually enjoying it :wth:

question though: i am currently making some plot and chart user controls using <canvas> and amble amount of data bindings and converters
is it possible to have the coordinates for my canvas lines and stuff be between (0,0) and (1,1). currently i am using a fixed size for my user controls but i really want them to be stretchable since i will have a lot of them in the main window

telerik ui is free for the next 4 days grab it if u can

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Malcolm XML posted:

telerik ui is free for the next 4 days grab it if u can

nice!

gonna download it when i go home

thanks friend :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

just popping in to say that i made a little module/library that converts timecode (in a variety of formats, dropframe, framerate, etc), to frames (and vice versa) and so on and i enjoyed it a lot. i've done this programming many times before but i keep having to repeat it because every time i'm like "WHERE IS THAT CODE UGH" and then can't find it.

anyhow i found it very envigorating and enjoyable. programming is pretty satisfying when you keep it simple and modular.

the first hit is free

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

tef posted:

they might not have any, and they expect someone to be able to build a few around the behaviour it already has

they might have existing tests and they're porting them to a new framework

oh yeah, I guess hiring somebody to help backfill makes sense, as long as everybody writes unit tests for new code

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I've been trying to work through TAOCP, but I'm too dumb / don't have the math intuition to solve anything but the easy problems in the first chapter. Should I keep going yospos??

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TAOCP is a holy tome best reverently placed upon the blessed shelf, worshiped from afar, carefully dusted from time to time as warranted

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The tao of cp? mods

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ploft-shell crab posted:

I've been trying to work through TAOCP, but I'm too dumb / don't have the math intuition to solve anything but the easy problems in the first chapter. Should I keep going yospos??

When yours Google interview?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
tao te cping

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
taocp is actually p fun to read bits of from time to time but lol if youre like "welp gotta an interview in 2 weeks better boner up"

terrible programmer idea: a recipe specification language that uses linear variables to ensure ingredient usage, plus a system for managing annotations of variables.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

com.ge.oven.thermostat has stopped working. *house burns down*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

my boner is up all the time

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

FamDav posted:

terrible programmer idea: a recipe specification language that uses linear variables to ensure ingredient usage, plus a system for managing annotations of variables.

the right proportion of ingredients depends not just on serving size, but also on the composition of the flours, which can vary between countries

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

suffix posted:

the right proportion of ingredients depends not just on serving size, but also on the composition of the flours, which can vary between countries

don't allow recipes with flour, problem solved

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i recently discovered lisp and it seems pee cool to mess around with but how do i make it talk to a mysql? there's like five zillion libraries with lovely documentation and they all don't work unless you have a specific lisp implementation pirated from a DEC backup disc in 1975 or whatever the gently caress. i'm just using whatever apt-get install clisp downloaded i ain't got time for that jibba jabba

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

Luigi Thirty posted:

i recently discovered lisp and it seems pee cool to mess around with but how do i make it talk to a mysql? there's like five zillion libraries with lovely documentation and they all don't work unless you have a specific lisp implementation pirated from a DEC backup disc in 1975 or whatever the gently caress. i'm just using whatever apt-get install clisp downloaded i ain't got time for that jibba jabba

use quicklisp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

comedy answer: continue using python

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

theres probably a way to abuse python so much it gets very lisplike syntax. you can do macros with that one library

• Locked thread