Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A couple of months ago one of those Food Network restaurant rescue shows did a local place in my city. I was driving by it the other day and they've already closed down, I don't know if the episode even actually aired yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

muscles like this? posted:

A couple of months ago one of those Food Network restaurant rescue shows did a local place in my city. I was driving by it the other day and they've already closed down, I don't know if the episode even actually aired yet.

Isn't that a pretty common theme with the restaurants they visit in those shows?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

Isn't that a pretty common theme with the restaurants they visit in those shows?

Its a pretty common theme with restaurants in general. I don't know why more restaurants owners don't use the exposure of being on tv to dump their restaurants on some unsuspecting dupe. That's what I would do if I had a business I was too stupid/lazy to run properly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Speaking of shows like that, I've been watching Bar Rescue for some reason, why does the shouty man always list 'THIS BAR NEEDS A THEME TOO' in his list of ways to fix it. Does he legitimately think that a major step in lovely bars being fixed is a lovely theme?

"Oh this bar serves poo poo drinks and the bartenders are useless but oooh it's Caribbean themed now..."?

e: actually who is the shouty Bar Rescue guy in general, he literally just laughed in the face of the bar owner saying that a sea themed bar (again with the demands he make a lovely theme bar) have pastel colors because he legitimately seemed to not understand what the word 'pastel' means. Is this a joke show like Nathan For You?

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 12, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

e: actually who is the shouty Bar Rescue guy in general, he literally just laughed in the face of the bar owner saying that a sea themed bar (again with the demands he make a lovely theme bar) have pastel colors because he legitimately seemed to not understand what the word 'pastel' means. Is this a joke show like Nathan For You?

I haven't seen that particular episode, but from the ones I have seen I'd guess that any idea or suggestion that doesn't come from the angry host or someone on his team of expert helpers is automatically bad and wrong

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JohnSherman posted:

Like Irish Joe says it's all restaurants. I watch a local review show called Check, Please! Bay Area and a lot of the places that are really popular and busy have closed down.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

savinhill posted:

I haven't seen that particular episode, but from the ones I have seen I'd guess that any idea or suggestion that doesn't come from the angry host or someone on his team of expert helpers is automatically bad and wrong

Yea the theme I'm picking up on is as opposed to say, Kitchen Nightmare where guys like Ramsay make it clear they're here to fix things but want owner input so it feels like their place still, this guy just tells them what they're doing.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Fox upfront is in a couple of hours, here's the official schedule for whoever wants to make the thread:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-sunday/262992/

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Speaking of shows like that, I've been watching Bar Rescue for some reason, why does the shouty man always list 'THIS BAR NEEDS A THEME TOO' in his list of ways to fix it. Does he legitimately think that a major step in lovely bars being fixed is a lovely theme?

"Oh this bar serves poo poo drinks and the bartenders are useless but oooh it's Caribbean themed now..."?

It's BAR SCIENCE

On the episode last week or before, the bartender he brought in (that I guess is the career of the week Spike TV wanted to prop up for some reason) made a drink with a cinnamon mini-donut in it. I want to know who the person is that goes to a bar and says "you know, what I need is to pay $10 so I can have a loving donut in my drink."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

raditts posted:

It's BAR SCIENCE

On the episode last week or before, the bartender he brought in (that I guess is the career of the week Spike TV wanted to prop up for some reason) made a drink with a cinnamon mini-donut in it. I want to know who the person is that goes to a bar and says "you know, what I need is to pay $10 so I can have a loving donut in my drink."

Yea I'm not a bar expert, I like liquor and all but it's strictly an amateur/alcoholic relationship with it, but most of his 'experts' seem to be making gross rear end cocktails. I get the point is to overcharge, I respect that, but most of them seem to be 'THROW IN FIVE DIFFERENT BOTTLES THAT ONLY KINDA GO TOGETHER, YOU IDIOTS"

Also he has no moments like Ramsay or whatever where you see that under the yelling he legitimately wants these people to do well. He just is a stocky little angry Italian (?) stereotype who mocks everyone's ideas but his.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vertical Lime posted:

The Fox upfront is in a couple of hours, here's the official schedule for whoever wants to make the thread:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-sunday/262992/

So is this Utopia a remake of the British Utopia?

Sidebar: When the hell are we getting S2 of British Utopia? :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slotting B99 in the middle of three cartoons is weird as heck.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

No, it's a terrible reality show.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/is-...-shopped-in-us/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rarity posted:

HBO and David Fincher are doing the Utopia remake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guys, stop me if this is racist but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbLx2xpkFg

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So I took the thread's advice and started watching House... Wow. Dr. House might be one of my favorite TV characters ever. The rest of the regulars are pretty obviously lackluster in comparison, although I do love both Wilson and Cameron. I could take or leave Foreman, Chase, and Cuddy.

I'm just at the end of season two (House's ex-girlfriend lawyer lady just left), which is kind of disappointing since I hoped she'd stay around for longer. Do the subsequent seasons tend of have one over-arching plotline like the first two seasons do? (Season one with Billionaire Pharmacy guy, season two with House's Ex)

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

So I took the thread's advice and started watching House... Wow. Dr. House might be one of my favorite TV characters ever. The rest of the regulars are pretty obviously lackluster in comparison, although I do love both Wilson and Cameron. I could take or leave Foreman, Chase, and Cuddy.

I'm just at the end of season two (House's ex-girlfriend lawyer lady just left), which is kind of disappointing since I hoped she'd stay around for longer. Do the subsequent seasons tend of have one over-arching plotline like the first two seasons do? (Season one with Billionaire Pharmacy guy, season two with House's Ex)

There are a few characters later on that float back around after their first arc, one continues his in a way while creating an amazing force as one of the many antagonists against House.

I just bought dvds of the first four seasons and the eighth in blu-ray since it was an addon discount at Amazon. I wouldn't mind you posting your experiences from time to time, as an avid old fan I miss what it was like to see House episodes for the first time. Gonna have so much fun marathoning the show like I never have before... Also, I found enough wonderful music through the show as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Paradox Personified posted:

There are a few characters later on that float back around after their first arc, one continues his in a way while creating an amazing force as one of the many antagonists against House.

I just bought dvds of the first four seasons and the eighth in blu-ray since it was an addon discount at Amazon. I wouldn't mind you posting your experiences from time to time, as an avid old fan I miss what it was like to see House episodes for the first time. Gonna have so much fun marathoning the show like I never have before... Also, I found enough wonderful music through the show as well.

The best character was Bosley during the game during season 4.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Paradox Personified posted:

I thought the season 1 episode "Three Stories" was one of the best single episodes of TV I've seen in quite some time. It really does a good job of giving you the backstory of House's injury without beating you over the head with it, and it came far enough along in the season that you were really interested in what happened to him.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I thought the season 1 episode "Three Stories" was one of the best single episodes of TV I've seen in quite some time. It really does a good job of giving you the backstory of House's injury without beating you over the head with it, and it came far enough along in the season that you were really interested in what happened to him.
It really is phenomenal, whenever someone mentions House it's always scenes from that episode that pop into my head first. Closely followed by the reveal at the end of House's Head.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone read the Morning After gawker recap site? Just assume that everyone has already heard your kneejerk reactions to gawker media sites and only answer if you've actually read it enough to have an opinion.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

@HitFixDaniel: The prospect of a Simpsons ap with 552+ episodes and counting is EASILY the most interesting thing to come from today

Iiiiiinteresting. Wonder if you can get it for 1/2 price if you have it restricted to the first 10 seasons ;)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does he mean "app" or something else?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm taking it to mean The Simpsons will have its very own Netflix-style service and it'll be available on smartphones and possibly other devices. I'm curious how they intend to monetize that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

I'm taking it to mean The Simpsons will have its very own Netflix-style service and it'll be available on smartphones and possibly other devices. I'm curious how they intend to monetize that.

Monthly subs?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Maybe. Is anyone gonna bother if it's more than a couple bucks a month?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'm not a bar expert, I like liquor and all but it's strictly an amateur/alcoholic relationship with it, but most of his 'experts' seem to be making gross rear end cocktails. I get the point is to overcharge, I respect that, but most of them seem to be 'THROW IN FIVE DIFFERENT BOTTLES THAT ONLY KINDA GO TOGETHER, YOU IDIOTS"

Also he has no moments like Ramsay or whatever where you see that under the yelling he legitimately wants these people to do well. He just is a stocky little angry Italian (?) stereotype who mocks everyone's ideas but his.

Well they're clearly sponsored liquors for the TV show, too.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Iiiiiinteresting. Wonder if you can get it for 1/2 price if you have it restricted to the first 10 seasons ;)
Maybe the latter half, just to ignite the nerds into a frenzy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

misguided rage posted:

It really is phenomenal, whenever someone mentions House it's always scenes from that episode that pop into my head first. Closely followed by the reveal at the end of House's Head.

The show as a whole sure gets dull as poo poo after a while, and I felt like there was a point where House went from "likeable rear end in a top hat" to just plain "total piece of poo poo." I couldn't tell you where that is though because the last few seasons just kind of blur together for me. I never did watch the finale though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hcreight posted:

You can probably get the seasons that matter on DVD for pocket change by now, why would anyone give enough of a gently caress about the Simpsons at this point to want it on their phone?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

You can probably get the seasons that matter on DVD for pocket change by now, why would anyone give enough of a gently caress about the Simpsons at this point to want it on their phone?

If it was free/ad-supported it might be nice. I'd still rather they just loosen their draconian grip on Simpsons clips on YouTube.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

raditts posted:

The show as a whole sure gets dull as poo poo after a while, and I felt like there was a point where House went from "likeable rear end in a top hat" to just plain "total piece of poo poo." I couldn't tell you where that is though because the last few seasons just kind of blur together for me. I never did watch the finale though.

He realizes that being an rear end in a top hat doctor isn't as important as loving Wilson, so he fakes his death and they ride off into the sunset. In retrospect, not the most surprising ending.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'd still rather they just loosen their draconian grip on Simpsons clips on YouTube.

The people at FOX are assholes. Can't even find King of the Hill clips without it being poop.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Boogaleeboo posted:

He realizes that being an rear end in a top hat doctor isn't as important as loving Wilson, so he fakes his death and they ride off into the sunset. In retrospect, not the most surprising ending.

...Does he wind up becoming a lumberjack?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
No, we leave with them on motorcycles driving off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brett Gelman was on this week's Adventure Time and man, that's a weird guy to cast for their kid show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Huh. I just got spoiled on a Game of Thrones plotline and do we really have two whole books/seasons of Arya as a blind theatre actress? What the gently caress could that possibly add to the story? Honestly at this point I feel like I want the show to compress as much poo poo as possible and leap frog to the final books.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably not the best place to discuss big GoT spoilers.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Huh. I just got spoiled on a Game of Thrones plotline and do we really have two whole books/seasons of Arya as a blind theatre actress? What the gently caress could that possibly add to the story?

Well, not really. Its basically karate kid style training in which she's assigned menial tasks designed to make her a better ninja assassin. Think back to her season 1 plotline where she chases cats around to learn sword fighting. Its like that, but dumber.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does Khaleesi invade with her dragons in book 4, 5 or 6? Or 7?

• Locked thread