Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
…Oh great, now you've struggled yourself to death. Is it really that bad inside a Pokeball?

*resets for the fourth try*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You are using the catching O-power, right?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Keska posted:

…Oh great, now you've struggled yourself to death. Is it really that bad inside a Pokeball?

*resets for the fourth try*

Zygarde is a drama queen. It's going to keep suiciding if you throw anything less than a luxury ball at it.

e:

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Who's more annoying? The condescending little kid who explains every word with more than one syllable to you or the fat guy who won't shut the gently caress up about dancing?

"Condescending", or to put it another way, talking down to people.
gently caress that little rear end in a top hat. His entire purpose in life is to complete the pokedex, and I do it better than him just by showing up. Wanna smack him right on his disproportionately-sized head. (Seriously, his hair is super dumb looking. It's like a combination between an afro and a plastic helmet.)

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 13, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Austrian mook posted:

what dialog?

Off the top of my head, the one girl at the end of the bridge to Castelia is grossed out at you for staring at your legs. I think its in BW1

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
In addition I think the FRLG dialog did this as well. Like they didn't really bother changing anything for the female player character.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I vaguely recall one or two of the people you rode the ferris wheel with in B/W acting as if you were hitting on them, if you were a guy.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Blaziken386 posted:

On the subject of rival talk, out of all the rivals, the best one has got to be Barry / Jorge. Hyperactive, yet likeable; fights you a whole bunch of times, so he feels like a rival instead of "that guy you occasionally see every now and again"; has a decently challenging team with type coverage; goes through actual character development throughout the story; etc.

He's also a complete moron in the best way.

He's also a complete moron in the worst way. The one time you team up against Team Galactic he sends out his Munchlax, when he has awesome guys like Staraptor and Heracross waiting in the wings. Other than that, his team is pretty solid.

Speaking of teams, I'm trying to figure out some way, any way, to get Mega Abomasnow on a singles team without it being a Trick Room team. He's one of my favorite Mega Pokemon design-wise, but I can't use Mega Abomasnow the same way I use Abomasnow, which is to just put a Choice Scarf on and go to town, and that's giving me trouble.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Blhue posted:

I vaguely recall one or two of the people you rode the ferris wheel with in B/W acting as if you were hitting on them, if you were a guy.

That's different since the ferris wheel encounters are strictly different for each gender.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Oh my god, baiting people into setup sweeping themselves with an imposter ditto never gets old.

Focus sash ditto is pretty legit, especially when everyone expects you to be scarfed. The sash is for later, I don't plan on using the sash against the pokemon I am copying. I make sure to get a thunderwave or appropriately timed yawn off. If I have a hurt pokemon I can even switch them in to to be OHKOed in place of the status inflicter; people are greedy and go for 3 sword dances if you let them.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Cerony posted:

Actually if your playing as a girl Shauna says, "I really hope we get to be great friends, <player>..."

You see it as friendship, I see it as lesbians who can't come out yet. Everyone wins!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nethilia posted:

You see it as friendship, I see it as lesbians who can't come out yet. Everyone wins!

Combine that with the trans Battle Maison character and you have an oddly progressive game!

Edit: Because people will ask - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Beauty_(Trainer_class)#Trivia

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 13, 2014

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Combine that with the trans Battle Maison character and you have an oddly progressive game!

Plus for the first time I'm darker than notebook paper!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I know everyone talks about this, but do you think there's a chance nintendo makes a more mature pokemon game? I don't mean grimdark poo poo, and I'm not asking for the main series to change. Just a game that's more difficult, and has a large focus on world building and story. Is it a possibility? SOmething like the two Orre games on the Gamecube, maybe?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I just did the Battle Institute for the first time, and got Elite Rank (one of my Pokemon fainted twice). I heard it was supposed to be super hard and have loads of rear end in a top hat legendaries in it. :confused: I just went in with my Crustle, Mega Gyarados, and Ditto. Did I just happen to not get any legendary teams this time around?

Austrian mook posted:

I know everyone talks about this, but do you think there's a chance nintendo makes a more mature pokemon game? I don't mean grimdark poo poo, and I'm not asking for the main series to change. Just a game that's more difficult, and has a large focus on world building and story. Is it a possibility? SOmething like the two Orre games on the Gamecube, maybe?
I want an Orre remake on the 3DS. That was such a cool region, and you got to rehabilitate Pokemon with the power of oil massages and music.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I hope that the ORAS remake gives us cinematics that live up to some of the scene art from RSE, which I think were the last games to have this kind of art of things that don't happen in the game:

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
The thought of playing through Hoenn games without May's ridiculous hair or Brendan's loving hair-hat is kind of blowing my mind.

e: Unless Gamefreak doesn't keep character customization. :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Previous Jesus posted:

The thought of playing through Hoenn games without May's ridiculous hair or Brendan's loving hair-hat is kind of blowing my mind.

I would be absolutely shocked if that was in the remakes.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Previous Jesus posted:

Even with character customization, I'm keeping the hair. :smugbert:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Previous Jesus posted:

I want there to be many different hair hats to choose from. Because that would be the greatest thing EVER.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The male PC should have the same hat as Brendan's, but in a variety of colors. :getin:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So this just got dumped. Pumped for RS remade music!

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

korusan posted:

Oh those trumpets. :circlefap:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Edit: Because people will ask - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Beauty_(Trainer_class)#Trivia
What's the dialogue, exactly? My first thought when seeing the trivia was that she was saying that she used to study martial arts, not that she used to be a man.

... Actually, do people in the Pokemon world refer to themselves by their titles? Does Youngster Joey call himself Youngster Joey? Do the Rivals wake up one day and know they're going to play second fiddle to someone else? Is "Trainer Class" an entry on job application forms?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone tried any Swampert builds for X/Y yet? I'm considering having a bulky water to sit next to a Klefki in Battle Maison doubles, and I'm wondering what my options are. I love Swampert, but I've never put any effort into fully training a specific build of one!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

What's the dialogue, exactly? My first thought when seeing the trivia was that she was saying that she used to study martial arts, not that she used to be a man.

... Actually, do people in the Pokemon world refer to themselves by their titles? Does Youngster Joey call himself Youngster Joey? Do the Rivals wake up one day and know they're going to play second fiddle to someone else? Is "Trainer Class" an entry on job application forms?

The discussion page has a good explanation. There's a screenshot of what she says, plus the Japanese dialog explicitly mentions medicine. And the Black Belt class is Karate King in Japan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

korusan posted:

So wait, 'World Champion'? Does this mean the PWT might be returning in some form.

Also holy poo poo this song is so hype.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
So I'm almost done with Pokemon Y. It was my first Pokemon game and I had a lot of fun running through the story/dungeons.

Any recommendations on any of the DS Pokemon games I could try out? It looks like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Black and White 1/2 are my options.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Tx2005 posted:

So I'm almost done with Pokemon Y. It was my first Pokemon game and I had a lot of fun running through the story/dungeons.

Any recommendations on any of the DS Pokemon games I could try out? It looks like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Black and White 1/2 are my options.

Did you play gold and silver when you were younger? Either way, get HG/SS.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Someone wonder traded me a shiny Yamask :psyduck:

Hatched this generation too!

mid83
Oct 15, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Did you play gold and silver when you were younger? Either way, get HG/SS.

I never played a Pokemon game until I started Y a couple weeks ago.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

korusan posted:

Oh my god that is so loving dope

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So wait, 'World Champion'? Does this mean the PWT might be returning in some form.

Also holy poo poo this song is so hype.

They use these songs for the literal World Champion VGC battles hosted by Nintendo. They used the same theme back in Gen 5 :v:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tx2005 posted:

I would recommend Platinum, HG/SS and Black/White 2.

HG/SS has following pokemon and it's super cute. Black and White 2 have a solid pokemon selection, a pokemon movie studio, a world tournament and a little mall that you can build up to get a bunch of items and stuff. I also really like the Unova gym leaders.

In Plat and HG/SS, TMs are one use only, so be careful when using them.

In all those games, the exp. share is just a hold item that you can put on one pokemon. They changed it a lot in XY.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LEGO Genetics posted:

Someone wonder traded me a shiny Yamask :psyduck:

Hatched this generation too!

I wonder traded a shiny Simipour. So it happens.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

How Ingratiating! posted:

I want an Orre remake on the 3DS. That was such a cool region, and you got to rehabilitate Pokemon with the power of oil massages and music.

You could toss in Pokemon Amie as an extra method of healing Shadow Pokemon! Everyone wins! :v:

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

The male PC should have the same hat as Brendan's, but in a variety of colors. :getin:

Every hat color looks like it could reasonably pass as hair. Blonde, black, brown, red, etc.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
HG/SS has the most to do after you beat the game I think, ironic given it's original release was barren as hell. Well BW2 also has good post-game content now that I think of it. Either way HG/SS had really pretty visuals. Companion Pokemon own and it has really useful features that aren't in other games as per Gamefreak tradition.

Nah but really it has the best music in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ujh7lvcsRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pli72uTh0mU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPcKPTiqx8

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

HoneyBoy posted:

HG/SS has the most to do after you beat the game I think, ironic given it's original release was barren as hell. Well BW2 also has good post-game content now that I think of it. Either way HG/SS had really pretty visuals. Companion Pokemon own and it has really useful features that aren't in other games as per Gamefreak tradition.

Nah but really it has the best music in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ujh7lvcsRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pli72uTh0mU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPcKPTiqx8

if the ruby saphire stuff is even half this good, i might have to live with a pokemon soundtrack in my library.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

korusan posted:

The Gen 1 champion theme is easily my favourite so this makes me very happy

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Speedboat Jones posted:

Anyone tried any Swampert builds for X/Y yet? I'm considering having a bulky water to sit next to a Klefki in Battle Maison doubles, and I'm wondering what my options are. I love Swampert, but I've never put any effort into fully training a specific build of one!

I have one that is defensive I think, with Waterfall, Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Roar. I'll check it and get back to you.

EDIT: I have not tried one in the Masion though.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I just sheer cold'd 3 times in a row with team Lapras, naturally my opponent disconnected.

• Locked thread