Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Alan Smithee posted:

What is even going on in the aldia helmet? I never figured it out. Those scientists are up to some nasty stuff

As I'm a Bluebro, the mask is to prevent me from being slathered in the tears and blood of my bounties. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
I got really disappointed a couple minutes ago. I was bellbroing it up and ended up fighting a hacker, and even kicking him from the top of the tower in Belfry Sol didn't kill him :(

And then I couldn't make the jump to the side wall so I couldn't even be annoying that way :(

Kaldaris posted:

First playthrough, 72 hours, 3.5 Million Soul Memory. I could barely get anyone to summon me for bosses there at the end. :shepface:

Good job, now do NG+ :getin:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Sol is a favorite place for annoying players for that very reason. There isn't much geometry you can use to kill them if they hack and a lot of people love to use the huge pillars to hide and heal and draw out invasions as long as possible.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

chaos rhames posted:

There's a shortcut.

This is misleading. Yeah, there's a door you can open that leads to a blocked off place, but calling it a shortcut is generous.

Really, No Man's Wharf felt like the one place in the game that really needed a real shortcut. I thought that the pier with the magic dude (sorry don't know his name magic is for losers) would have something that clears or bypasses the rubble on the docks.

You can always run by all the enemies, though. You can go from the bonfire to the boss without killing anything if you really want.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Control Volume posted:

In a strangely predictable turn of fate, poor fellow Goonsir was overcome by ANIME. I know it was one of you assholes.

:shobon:

That was me. I was trying some duels for the hell of it. I got punched to death twice, then out-stamina'd and annihilated by I assume you.

Edit: I was on Skype giving a play by play to a buddy of mine. He said word for word what somebody already said a few posts earlier: "Welcome to PvP" as I was complaining about the ridiculously unexpected reach of a katana and how some guy poisoned me with fist weapons.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 13, 2014

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Yep. When you've killed the rats, the boss is basically won, as he's incredibly easy to dodge.

You think so? I found him super hard to dodge. That charge is really fast and doesn't have a smooth tell -- yeah he lower his head, but then just pauses there for a sec before BAM he's on you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EvilCornbread posted:

You think so? I found him super hard to dodge. That charge is really fast and doesn't have a smooth tell -- yeah he lower his head, but then just pauses there for a sec before BAM he's on you.

Here's how you beat the Royal Rat Authority: stand under him. None of his attacks can even hit you and his health is a little garbage for a boss so it goes down fairly quick.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

:shobon:

That was me. I was trying some duels for the hell of it. I got punched to death twice, then out-stamina'd and annihilated by I assume you.

Edit: I was on Skype giving a play by play to a buddy of mine. He said word for word what somebody already said a few posts earlier: "Welcome to PvP" as I was complaining about the ridiculously unexpected reach of a katana and how some guy poisoned me with fist weapons.

Haha yeah the running stab of the katana is brutal if you're not expecting it, and only slightly less brutal if you are.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

47 hours, 2.3M Soul Memory later, I finished my first run. Basically only using vanilla tier weapons. I wish the longsword had more legs on it, because halfway through the game, I switched to the mace and didn't really look back (yes, the flanged mace from the Majula blacksmith). I'm still missing at least half a dozen bonfires, I don't believe I've found or played with all the covenants (still rank 0 in all of them), fought all the optional bosses or found some NPCs like the one guy who lets you trade in the bigger boss souls for stuff for starters.

I kinda cheated and had to use a Great Club to fight the Belfry Gargoyles though.

Kinda want to jump into using magic with a new character. Maybe I'll just migrate this character from using boring-tier weapons into huge fuckoff tier weapons this time. :getin:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Like many others, I've discovered that the true endgame in Dark Souls 2 is stripping naked, summoning dragonbros on the Iron Keep bridge and punching them until one of us dies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

kazil posted:

This is misleading. Yeah, there's a door you can open that leads to a blocked off place, but calling it a shortcut is generous.

Really, No Man's Wharf felt like the one place in the game that really needed a real shortcut. I thought that the pier with the magic dude (sorry don't know his name magic is for losers) would have something that clears or bypasses the rubble on the docks.
Yeah, it really felt like that was where an actual shortcut would have been.

I get the impression (based on the heavy use of the torch, the larger gap between bonfires and the overall high quality of the place) that it was one of the first areas they finished. One of my favourite bits of the game so far.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Uuuuuuuuughhhhh...

Just ruined a no-bonfire run with 24 hours in it by accidentally pressing A :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shine posted:

Like many others, I've discovered that the true endgame in Dark Souls 2 is stripping naked, summoning dragonbros on the Iron Keep bridge and punching them until one of us dies.

I'm annoyed that the thing you need to join the dragon covenant is only found at nearly the end of the entire game. I wanted to be a dragon man.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
If this game were gameplay-moddable then the one thing I would wish for is have a weapon crate appear by the bonfires after you die five times in the shrine, it contains an Shock Rifle with infinite ammo and it plays the Unreal Tournament HEADSHOT sound as appropriate (of course you can just bodyshot people too) :hellyeah:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

EvilCornbread posted:

The trick is to hesitate when he ducks his head, don't respond to him lowering his head but wait a few tics, if you keep a 100% phys shield it's pretty easy to learn the timing he has for it and roll through it, pick a few hits on him, back off, repeat.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you improve the durability of weapons?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cowcaster posted:

I'm annoyed that the thing you need to join the dragon covenant is only found at nearly the end of the entire game. I wanted to be a dragon man.

That's what NG+ is for. Being a Dragon Man all the way.

WYA posted:

You don't.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Okay, super-important question about this game:

I'm doing a double caestus run. Do I build for sunlight blade and become the god hand, or resonant weapon and become the devil hand?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

WYA posted:

You use strength on the truck next to the S.S. Anne.

Trick Question posted:

Okay, super-important question about this game:

I'm doing a double caestus run. Do I build for sunlight blade and become the god hand, or resonant weapon and become the devil hand?

Heaven and Hell, do both!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cowcaster posted:

My favorite is when I summon somebody who's also doing a gimmick build. I just fought a guy named Jesus who was dual-wielding shields and tried to smash me repeatedly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

WYA posted:

Find a bracing knuckle ring and never take it off until you find a better version of the bracing knuckle ring.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

WYA posted:

There's the Bracing Knuckle series of rings. Off the top of my head, Chancellor Wellager has the +1 and the +2 is in Undead Crypt.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Well, the +5 Lightning Dragon Chime certainly makes your thunder do some damage all right.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anyone like the Royal Greatsword? I was thinking of upgrading one for PVP given the bleed effect.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

Souls are added to your soul memory when you collect them. Burn them on spells, toss them into upgrading all your weapons, have the Emerald Herald level you up, lose them all in a bloodstain, do whatever with them, they're already permanently in your bank.

Ouch. That makes me a bit spooked of the Resonant spells, then, powerful as they are. Maybe it's RPG Elixir Syndrome at play but it feels like a waste :(

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

StashAugustine posted:

Anyone like the Royal Greatsword? I was thinking of upgrading one for PVP given the bleed effect.
Bleed is kind of a mediocre status effect. Maybe if it lasted longer, was easier to proc, or had a stronger stamina nerf (and maybe more damage, but then it's a little less unique). I wouldn't lean towards a weapon because of bleed.

Ciaphas posted:

Ouch. That makes me a bit spooked of the Resonant spells, then, powerful as they are. Maybe it's RPG Elixir Syndrome at play but it feels like a waste :(
Nah, just use them anyways. You've already got the souls in the bank, no harm in casting a few hundred here and there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

If anything that should make you feel free to use them. If they're in your counter on the bottom right, they're already in your soul memory. Not using them to power a spell isn't going to make them any less already in your memory.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ciaphas posted:

Soul Memory isn't a good system but it's not so bad that if you lose some souls it will be impossible to co-op or pvp ever.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Just beat the game and commenced looking through armor sets on the wiki because The Real Fashion Souls Starts Here. I'm kind of disappointed in the selection. I think I'll end up wearing Lucatiel's crap forever.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

RBA Starblade posted:

e: BTW just how huge is the name-engraved ring's summoning pool? I heard people millions of SM higher than others showing up, and my brother and I did easily despite a 300k difference (except the Belfries, which kind of broke).

This is several pages back now, but I didn't see anyone answer you:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693332-dark-souls-ii/69198395

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well it took a bit of work but the dickwraith dream isn't dead.

This is Mennas. He has a set of gear I can actually win arena fights with. He's only SM 650000. This means I can invade tons of people in NG in a bunch of areas. People complain about there being no invasions before NG+. Well, Mennas is going to bring them. At least until I invade some hacker that gives me a million souls and fucks up everything.

I still need to spice down silence to complete the cosplay though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regarding fashion souls: I wish hats/helmets and masks would get their own seperate slot. Because I love the mannikin mask and lucatiel's mask but I want to wear some of the silly hats as well.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Internet Kraken posted:

Well it took a bit of work but the dickwraith dream isn't dead.

This is Mennas. He has a set of gear I can actually win arena fights with. He's only SM 650000. This means I can invade tons of people in NG in a bunch of areas. People complain about there being no invasions before NG+. Well, Mennas is going to bring them. At least until I invade some hacker that gives me a million souls and fucks up everything.

I still need to spice down silence to complete the cosplay though.

Cosplay of what?

Edit: I don't recognize the character is what I'm saying. What's he from?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Magus42 posted:

This is several pages back now, but I didn't see anyone answer you:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693332-dark-souls-ii/69198395

Regarding the name engraved ring, does it actually only work if both people are wearing it and select the same option?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Artificer posted:

Cosplay of what?

Edit: I don't recognize the character is what I'm saying. What's he from?

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Mennas

Lethal unique enemy from the roguelike Crawl. Yes, when I make cosplay characters, I tend to I go for the most obscure poo poo possible.

VVV That room is just one massive gently caress you to the player.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Ruin Sentinels in Drangleic respawn? :negative:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can I exchange boss souls for things or are they just for emergency soul gaining?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

WYA posted:

Can I exchange boss souls for things or are they just for emergency soul gaining?

You can exchange them for things, don't use them for souls

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

animatorZed posted:

Regarding the name engraved ring, does it actually only work if both people are wearing it and select the same option?

Supposedly yes.

folgore posted:

You can exchange them for things, don't use them for souls

Unless you don't want any of the items they can be exchanged for. I've consumed a few boss souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WYA posted:

You can exchange them for things.

You need to unpetrify someone in the Bastille, near the bridge to Sinner's Rise.