Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Sedisp posted:

And then they do this exact same thing for weeks and months just so they can do the same thing again when the next raid comes out.

I do not understand raiders at all. At what point is this fun?

When you learn the fight, learn from your mistakes, discuss what is and isn't working with your raid, devise a strategy that works (the strat that works for YOUR raid is often NOT what is in the "internet strategy guide" for the boss), come together as a team to overcome something you've been unable to do before: and kill the boss.

Everyone poses with the corpse and someone takes a screenshot, rushes to the guild forum and posts it and everyone goes wild.

It can be a lot of fun.

The poo poo lords that want to play loot politics, don't do the fight right so they can pad the DPS meters with big numbers, and brag about their gear score (or pout every time they don't get any piece of loot that they wanted) make it loving miserable.

This is also why 40 person raiding is loving terrible on a stick. It is just too many people to do the good parts well, and all you are usually left with is poo poo lords commanding a legion of zerg screaming about more dots on vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Bussamove posted:

It's fun if you have people you enjoy raiding with. I did it for several years in WoW and about a year in Rift because I enjoyed shooting the poo poo with the people I was dying to bosses with. If you don't like/don't talk to your group then it's a lot more dull.

I also imagine a lot of it is just the desire to be amongst the best in a particular community, especially if the community consists of millions of players. It's tedious and grindy, sure, but the cool thing about video games is that normally hard work correlates with prestige.

Then there's pay-to-win games which emulate real life where money correlates with prestige.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I use to like raiding, I got my start on it in World of Warcraft, which seems to be most people. During Vanilla WoW is when I started, but by the end of Wrath of Lich King I decided to just stop. I got so unlucky with guilds. The amount of appalling lovely behavior I witnessed over loot was just too much. Non-stop guild drama from when I started in vanilla up until Ulduar, I vowed not to touch it in other MMOs.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Bussamove posted:

It's fun if you have people you enjoy raiding with. I did it for several years in WoW and about a year in Rift because I enjoyed shooting the poo poo with the people I was dying to bosses with. If you don't like/don't talk to your group then it's a lot more dull.

Monotonous as it can be, MMO raiding is kind of the only game in town for large-scale online co-op. Not a lot of other genres where your 24-39 best friends can play on the same team, with an endless bench of pubbie recruits when your friends can't make it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Bauxite posted:

Same way doing a puzzle is fun. And it's a multiplayer puzzle too. It's also not for everyone, but quite a few people like it.

I think far fewer people would enjoy a puzzle if it took them a week of multiple hours a day to get ready for the puzzle. Then even if the puzzle was solved their "reward" for the puzzle might not be able to be dropped. Then they have to do the puzzle over and over until they have enough puzzle pieces to do the next puzzle.

And it's all about the puzzle pieces hence the tears that flow if PvP gear is not completely inferior to PvE gear for raiding.

Like I had a lot of fun in WoW after the raids were old hat and we'd go through old content to get mounts or whatever but the vast majority of "progression raiders" would never bother with a raid if the BiS could be achieved through casual play.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Sedisp posted:

but the vast majority of "progression raiders" would never bother with a raid if the BiS could be achieved through casual play.

Are we starting this poo poo again? Because I'd rather we not.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'd argue against that, the cream of the crop 1% raiders most likely do like raiding for the challenge/glory and not the loot. It's why they put up with so much ridiculous poo poo, loot is easy to get, the world first bullshit is much harder. If anything I'd say the inverse is true, if BiS could be achieved without raiding, "casuals" wouldn't touch raiding. However you can't get BiS outside of raiding some of the time and thus you have a ton of loot whores spread across the spectrum; in whatever avenue has the least resistance for them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Lyer posted:

I'd argue against that, the cream of the crop 1% raiders most likely do like raiding for the challenge/glory and not the loot. It's why they put up with so much ridiculous poo poo, loot is easy to get, the world first bullshit is much harder. If anything I'd say the inverse is true, if BiS could be achieved without raiding, "casuals" wouldn't touch raiding. However you can't get BiS outside of raiding some of the time and thus you have a ton of loot whores spread across the spectrum; in whatever avenue has the least resistance for them.

Maybe it just seems like any time raiding is able to be completed by the masses without having a monument of grinding dedicated to getting into it there's a bunch of poopsockers complaining about casuals ruining everything and "boy do you remember when you needed attunements? THOSE were the days!"

I guess I'd rather endgame stuff of any stripe just give fun and/or cosmetic poo poo. At least that way I could experience some of the story without making it my second job.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

This game has no shortage of people in Deradune chat complaining about how group finders ruined the WoW experience for them.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Sedisp posted:

Maybe it just seems like any time raiding is able to be completed by the masses without having a monument of grinding dedicated to getting into it there's a bunch of poopsockers complaining about casuals ruining everything and "boy do you remember when you needed attunements? THOSE were the days!"

I guess I'd rather endgame stuff of any stripe just give fun and/or cosmetic poo poo. At least that way I could experience some of the story without making it my second job.

I want to complete raids for cosmetic housing stuff.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Got a chance to try out the moba adventure, and it's pretty nicely implemented, even down to the fact that the enemy NPC team are giant assholes.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

a cat on an apple posted:

You and me both baby. I want to slay Comfortar the Couch-Lord to loot a legendary quality spa-c-boy recliner.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 13, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Killing internet monsters for treasure is only worthwhile if I get to lord over those who cannot do so. Fun is a false construct and therefore worthless.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
OH GOODY we haven't had this conversation in a while

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I will brave the foulest pits of raiding hell if it means my barbie castle looks a little bit nicer. Probably should roll an architect if I don't want to be perpetually broke.

say
Apr 20, 2009
I wasn't planning on finding and joining a guild until level 50, but I just had the worst pug experience I've ever had in any MMO. It was so bad that I don't want to live through anything like it ever again, so I'm going to try rolling with goons. I was a loser and made my first character an Exile, but I'm fixing that right now and rerolling Dominion and will ask for an invite soon.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

There is a hat I want that is a reward in the Settler quest line. If I don't want to be a Settler will I be able to get the hat from other means, like a trade from someone or buy it from the AH, and be able to wear it?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The devs have already said that they're willing change how raiding works if/when it turns out that people actually do hate 40 man raiding.

Do we need to argue this point any further?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

jabro posted:

There is a hat I want that is a reward in the Settler quest line. If I don't want to be a Settler will I be able to get the hat from other means, like a trade from someone or buy it from the AH, and be able to wear it?

I think that the path reward costume items are Bind on equip, so hopefully yes. My Internet isn't doing too well right now or otherwise I'd verify.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I think that the path reward costume items are Bind on equip, so hopefully yes. My Internet isn't doing too well right now or otherwise I'd verify.

Unfortunately they're all BoP.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Doublestep posted:

OH GOODY we haven't had this conversation in a while

Thread living up to its title.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Phrasing posted:

This game has no shortage of people in Deradune chat complaining about how group finders ruined the WoW experience for them.
A good rule of thumb is that "gamers" almost never, ever understand what they actually want in a game, or what makes a game actually good and fun to play. Social pressures in online games, how the overall design of the metagame affects how people play even if it winds up making things not fun, and similar elements of game design aren't really given much consideration. Which is fine really, it's not as if everyone should be thinking about this stuff when they're playing video games, but it does lead to a large amount of hilariously whining for things counterproductive to their own fun.

Rorus Raz posted:

The devs have already said that they're willing change how raiding works if/when it turns out that people actually do hate 40 man raiding.

Do we need to argue this point any further?
It's still an interesting topic since Wildstar is this strange mix of modern MMO elements (the action-based combat, the heavy customization in housing, etc) and traditional and somewhat deprecated elements (hardcore progression-based raiding, subscription-based game access, etc), and how frankly there's a lot of blatant mistakes that really shouldn't be made in a game being released in 2014. But, well, see the prior comment on a lot of people disliking discussing metagame design. :shrug:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Asimo posted:

A good rule of thumb is that "gamers" almost never, ever understand what they actually want in a game, or what makes a game actually good and fun to play. Social pressures in online games, how the overall design of the metagame affects how people play even if it winds up making things not fun, and similar elements of game design aren't really given much consideration. Which is fine really, it's not as if everyone should be thinking about this stuff when they're playing video games, but it does lead to a large amount of hilariously whining for things counterproductive to their own fun.

It's still an interesting topic since Wildstar is this strange mix of modern MMO elements (the action-based combat, the heavy customization in housing, etc) and traditional and somewhat deprecated elements (hardcore progression-based raiding, subscription-based game access, etc), and how frankly there's a lot of blatant mistakes that really shouldn't be made in a game being released in 2014. But, well, see the prior comment on a lot of people disliking discussing metagame design. :shrug:

I think the big, meta thing that a lot of us on the defensive side for Carbine and WildStar feel is that, while they have undeniably made what seem to be mistakes so far, they also seem absolutely willing and capable to fix them, as fast as they can manage. Every single patch I've seen since they started doing weekend betas, they've fixed a lot of problems that many people had - just tonight, they have implemented a hotfix that should fix the Mouse 4 & 5 buttons not being registered while moving, which quite a few people have brought up in this very thread. Have they magically fixed everything instantly, no, but just looking at their history so far there's no reason to think they're not trying to make this game amazing.

It's just kind of beating a dead horse at this point, and I'm not saying 40-man raids are the most amazing idea ever, cool for novelty maybe at best, but I think they're a company worth having faith in, and I'd like it if my peers saw that way, too.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
I bought the Bag of Infinite Frustration and I can't tell if I'm disappointed or not.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mount Desert posted:

I bought the Bag of Infinite Frustration and I can't tell if I'm disappointed or not.

That's pretty good.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
drat, I wish you didn't spoil that. If it actually gave an item that would have been great to know what, but not getting to first-hand experience that discovery is a little disappointing.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
So after playing a Mechari I think my race and class choice for launch has been changed. They're amazing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Doublestep posted:

So after playing a Mechari I think my race and class choice for launch has been changed. They're amazing.

Welcome to the fold. Mechari are awesome and being a robot brings so many pun name possibilities.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Well, while the servers are down, here's a quick collection of images of one of the freestanding 'extra' structures on my land that I built with assistance from KelpPlankton.

This building is made up from 99% stuff you can craft as an architect. Things I didn't build include the wall segments (they are 'flooring' items you can buy from the housing vendor) and the stairs.

Inside, I used some stuff to make a Ping Pong table!

This is post 1 of 3 4 sorry, 5, there are 4 more structures that aren't the default 'House' on my housing plot, but I need the servers to be up to share it! :argh:

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Wow its crazy what people can do with the housing stuff in this game and we all know its going to get even better come release.

I'm slowly leveling up and making money to make an EU guild (unless theres one already) just to see how many EU goons are up to it. I'll probably make it then pass the leadership to someone else because I am terrible at organising things.

Anyone got a witty name for an EU guild?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VoLaTiLe posted:

I'm slowly leveling up and making money to make an EU guild (unless theres one already) just to see how many EU goons are up to it. I'll probably make it then pass the leadership to someone else because I am terrible at organising things.

Judging by the relatively small number of them in this thread, I'd suggest "Forever Alone"

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

80ish votes so far in the straw polls isn't that bad. An EU goon guild will almost certainly need to recruit some pubbies if we want to raid though.

VoLaTiLe posted:

The Terrible Secret of Space

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

VoLaTiLe posted:

Wow its crazy what people can do with the housing stuff in this game and we all know its going to get even better come release.
http://www.twitch.tv/wildstar/b/527278664

Hop to 3:48:45. That housing plot is absolutely incredible and looks like something a professional designer would put into the actual game. When I first heard about housing I didn't really care about it aside from the tangible nodes you can place, but seeing some of the poo poo that is possible has made me a bit more excited for it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Sorry if I missed this in the OP (I did look) but what server are EU Goons on and what faction is looking the healthiest?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Goons who want to come chill out on the Goon Shanty Town block, friend 'Motherteresa' in game (and be over level 14) on server Nexus.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

I think the big, meta thing that a lot of us on the defensive side for Carbine and WildStar feel is that, while they have undeniably made what seem to be mistakes so far, they also seem absolutely willing and capable to fix them, as fast as they can manage. Every single patch I've seen since they started doing weekend betas, they've fixed a lot of problems that many people had - just tonight, they have implemented a hotfix that should fix the Mouse 4 & 5 buttons not being registered while moving, which quite a few people have brought up in this very thread. Have they magically fixed everything instantly, no, but just looking at their history so far there's no reason to think they're not trying to make this game amazing.

It's just kind of beating a dead horse at this point, and I'm not saying 40-man raids are the most amazing idea ever, cool for novelty maybe at best, but I think they're a company worth having faith in, and I'd like it if my peers saw that way, too.

A problem they have, is they do not have the original WoW environment where people will wait a long time to get things fixed, first impression is critical, especially first end-game impression. SWTOR had a great level process, end-game was terrible, almost everyone left before the free month was up.

Older developers were just too accustom to releasing buggy uncompleted games and you would have to wait 1, 2 or 3 years before things got to a good place. The current environment is not as tolerable. Not saying the game wont be a success but if there are major flaws in the game they will lose a lot of players.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Sorry if I missed this in the OP (I did look) but what server are EU Goons on and what faction is looking the healthiest?

EU goons are dominion on Hazzak at the moment, I need to get :10bux: to make a guild which will probably fail terribly, my other characters got moved to french servers else I would have made one by now.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Housing post 2: The Crap Shack

This is a house that was built by KelpPlankton and myself out of odds and ends - literally junk and scrap. Mostly anything that we didn't know where else to place, we shoved it here. The kind of house that greets you with the smell of mold and gasoline, threatening you with tetanus. The 'Ramp' into the house is a tray of nuts and bolts, turned upside down - if you get creative you can use so many props in odd ways to suit your needs.

Has a dirty tarp for half the roof:

Love the interior.

Still 3 more things to share, will share them in a later post.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 13, 2014

Unstoppable Hiatus
May 29, 2006

Stare like a junkie
Into the TV :pwn:
It's been a long time since I've played an MMO and it took me a while to get back into the swing of questing but I'm having a lot of fun. Currently levelled a Stalker to 13; desperate to try PVE before the end of the open beta!

I find myself wanting to read up a lot more on most aspects of the game and although there are quite a few tutorials, I'd like a bit more depth; any suggestions anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

VoLaTiLe posted:

EU goons are dominion on Hazzak at the moment, I need to get :10bux: to make a guild which will probably fail terribly, my other characters got moved to french servers else I would have made one by now.

Who do we contact on Hazzak to get the ball rolling?

• Locked thread