Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

^^^ You have what my medicals texts call "being goony as gently caress."

Wait til Dean Stockwell shows up.

I mean, that's the Law and Order thing, like when the dad from Honey I Shrunk the Kids, or John Locke, or Fraiser or Dr. Kelso or Mr. Green or etc. is on Star Trek. Eventually, we're all on Star Trek. Even you.

It's quite another thing when Farmer Hoggett or Weyoun come back yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Sash! posted:

Our Man Bashir was not in the last season :confused:

If some jerkass wants to make a terrible fan film, they should find Everyone That Played Some Bit Guy in an Episode More than Once and put all of them in sort of of B-list all-star crew where they all play (obviously) a completely new character on board whatever ship was built at the berth right next to the Enterprise.

It blows up at the end.

Technically the malfunction in Our Man Bashir was unrelated to the holodeck, it happened because the station needed enough memory to store the crew's transporter patterns and the only thing with that kind of capacity was the holosuites. Or something like that.

....sigh. :goonsay:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Beet posted:

Technically the malfunction in Our Man Bashir was unrelated to the holodeck, it happened because the station needed enough memory to store the crew's transporter patterns and the only thing with that kind of capacity was the holosuites. Or something like that.

....sigh. :goonsay:

But THEN the holodeck is all crazy and if anyone dies in the holodeck they die for real !

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

And Ba-da-bing wasn't even a :supaburn: BAD THING, it was just that the program had an annoying by-design sidequest.

I think Our Man Bashir was the only OH GOD THE HOLODECK IS MALFUNCTIONING on DS9 and it was worth it.

I know, I really appreciate that this isn't some crazy crisis that threatens to destroy the station or whatever. It's just fun.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's still awful. The computer is just so god damned stupid that it doesn't pause all programs and light up a path to the exit while saying "computer malfunction, shutting off recreational holodeck use".

All the Star Trek ships are completely naive in regards to keeping the people inside alive. All that poo poo like "computer, where's Data?" *beep* "Data is not on the ship"*beep.

Stupid, stupid computer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Computer, where is my other black sock?

Black sock is not on the ship.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jago posted:

That's still awful. The computer is just so god damned stupid that it doesn't pause all programs and light up a path to the exit while saying "computer malfunction, shutting off recreational holodeck use".

All the Star Trek ships are completely naive in regards to keeping the people inside alive. All that poo poo like "computer, where's Data?" *beep* "Data is not on the ship"*beep.

Stupid, stupid computer.

Sure, that would make perfect sense for a Starfleet vessal or station. But this is Quark's built by the lowest bidder, probably fell off the space truck holosuite mixing with a Cardassian computer that holds a grudge while trying to do complex transporter jiggery pokery. I can totally buy that happening under those very unfavorable circumstances.

Now why the Enterprise holodeck was such a disaster? I can only blame the Broccoli for that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh my god Avery Brooks is singing :swoon:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The best part of Our Man Bashir was the Bad Guy, seeing he's won, thinking :wtc: over it.

Phy posted:

"inflammation of the goon"

I almost want to have my name chamged to InflammationoftheGoon, now.

EDIT: Good lord, I want to sit down at the start of TNG, watch all the way through DS9 and Voyager, and take a drink (or shot) every time mentions subspace.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 13, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh my god Avery Brooks is singing :swoon:

I already think Vic is great, but that scene completely justifies him on its own :colbert:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

jng2058 posted:

Now why the Enterprise holodeck was such a disaster? I can only blame the Broccoli for that.

Dude just won't stop downloading those malware infested anime holosuite programs from god knows where, and the whole ship's gotta share a computer with him.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Star Trek IT is pretty dumb because apparently they've never heard of VLANs or firewalls or any sort of cyber security. Also they designed their ship so that a drunk dude could take down all critical systems.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Dude just won't stop downloading those malware infested anime holosuite programs from god knows where, and the whole ship's gotta share a computer with him.

Lieutenant, for the very last time, Crusherboobs.exe from Ferengi.spc is not a Holonovel!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My theory is that Starfleet holodecks don't have a built in jizzmopper, so they get literally gummed up and start malfunctioning. Quark's holosuites, on the other hand, do.

e: "Frankly, I don't even know what Jadzia saw in him."
"Well, his brain."

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 13, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1st AD posted:

Star Trek IT is pretty dumb because apparently they've never heard of VLANs or firewalls or any sort of cyber security. Also they designed their ship so that a drunk dude could take down all critical systems.

Starfleet is competent at virtually nothing.

I believe all the Starfleet Engineer Miracles were some guy out in the field with no resources improved some sensor or made the engine go faster without the aid of cheetah blood is entirely because the guys back at R&D got 99% of the way to making it work but sucked just enough to not finish their work and some random wrench turn solved all the problems.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MisterBibs posted:

EDIT: Good lord, I want to sit down at the start of TNG, watch all the way through DS9 and Voyager, and take a drink (or shot) every time mentions subspace.

"Computer, create a simulation capable of causing fatal injuries via alcohol poisoning."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Stangely enough, I was inspired to do it based on a DS9 episode, not Voyager.

Thought experiment: could DS9 have functioned as a show wherein there was no wormhole, that caused the station to remain the backwater of the Federation? You could have the Dominion threat without having the thematic bottleneck.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sash! posted:

Starfleet is competent at virtually nothing.

And yet, they keep winning somehow! :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is it OK if I refer to Weyoun and Damar as Dr. Forrester and Frank from now on? Because I am.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think it could have. The wormhole sort of made Bajor a lot more important than it would have likely been without it.

Remove it, it could be a sort of different look at the Federation in terms of various struggles a much weaker, newer and/or lower-tier space power has to face when trying to become part of the all-powerful Federation. It could be a bit more political and explore the culture of the Federation a bit more, too. Does Starfleet really care about it, or is just viewed as more a humanitarian mission to stabilize the region so they can just back away, again? Does Sisko expect/get little support from home due to the lack of strategic importance, despite the people?

You'd maybe have Bajorans as unhappy with the Federation as they were with the Cardassians, for different reasons.

The Cardassians destroyed a lot of their culture but they maintained a lot of their cultural identity. Would joining the Federation, given a cultural push to 'fit in' to that club, destroy even that as they would find themselves eager to assimilate to the stronger and more popular aspects of Federation society, customs, arts, etc? Even Ro commented that in the quadrant community some/many Bajorans were already adopting the custom of 'family name second'.

Even without a wormhole, the Dominion existing as an unknown collection of conquered people that have been expanding for centuries on the fringes of known until they finally hit the DS9 region could also work. It suddenly boosts the value and importance of DS9/Bajor.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

1st AD posted:

I just remembered the probe from TNG's "Contagion" that killed the Yamato and nearly the Enterprise with a virus. I guess Ops couldn't be bothered to install even the free trial version of AVG.

The Cylons would eat Starfleet alive.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I never did get around to finishing Voyager after stopping at the last episode of season 6, but I just started DS9 and not even half way through the first episode and it's already fifty times more interesting than Voyager ever was.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MisterBibs posted:

The best part of Our Man Bashir was the Bad Guy, seeing he's won, thinking :wtc: over it.

I almost want to have my name chamged to InflammationoftheGoon, now.

RIP MisterBibs, died from the Force of Nature

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Some episodes, that'd kill you if it was shots of water.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Cojawfee posted:

Computer, where is my other black sock?

Black sock is not on the ship.
You keep comm badges on your black socks?

Good idea.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

MisterBibs posted:

The Ferengi episode of Enterprise gets props for me because it actually made the Energy Whip look pretty badass.

Speaking of Bashir, I'm not much of a medical person: Out of the other Crazy Generically Engineered Folks, I get that Divatox was Histrionic, Old Guy was childish, and Cute Girl had catalepsy... but what did Jack have? "Just a horrible rear end in a top hat" isn't really a medical term.

Jack seems pretty paranoid schizophrenic to me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

1st AD posted:

Star Trek IT is writers are pretty dumb because apparently they've never heard of VLANs or firewalls or any sort of cyber security. Also they designed their ship so that a drunk dude could take down all critical systems.

Heck the writers quite often use "download" for "upload." They just don't know what they're talking about.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like Star Trek is written by everybody's aunt who needs you to help clean the viruses out of their WinXP box.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

JediTalentAgent posted:

The wormhole sort of made Bajor a lot more important than it would have likely been without it.

It has been years since I watched Emissary. Why was Starfleet content with leaving a recently installed local Commander to keep an eye on the area after the discovery of a stable wormhole across the galaxy? Did the Bajorans/Kira give Starfleet an ultimatum that they wanted the black dude who talks kinda funny rather than a pile of Admirals and Captains?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Apollodorus posted:

Heck the writers quite often use "download" for "upload." They just don't know what they're talking about.

To be fair, when TNG first went on the air the height of consumer computing technology was the Macintosh II, which could display color and IBMs PS/2 line based on 286/386 architecture (but without internal hard drives, they ran off floppies). VGA graphics were a new thing, as were sound cards capable of making your computer do more than beeps and fart noises.

I give them props for presaging the rise of the touch screen, the one thing that keeps the tech from looking hopelessly dated, at least so far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

I give them props for presaging the rise of the touch screen, the one thing that keeps the tech from looking hopelessly dated, at least so far.

As evidenced by the fact that the most outdated looking thing on TNG is the drat tricorder. Why they didn't apply the touch concepts to it I don't know.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It has been years since I watched Emissary. Why was Starfleet content with leaving a recently installed local Commander to keep an eye on the area after the discovery of a stable wormhole across the galaxy? Did the Bajorans/Kira give Starfleet an ultimatum that they wanted the black dude who talks kinda funny rather than a pile of Admirals and Captains?

Him being the Emissary and the Federation wanting Bajor probably was it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grand Fromage posted:

Him being the Emissary and the Federation wanting Bajor probably was it.

Yeah, it's a Bajoran station and ultimately (at least at the beginning), the idea is that the Bajorans insisted on The Sisko. Starfleet didn't have a ton of choice in the matter if they wanted to keep relations with Bajor high and get them into the Federation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

As evidenced by the fact that the most outdated looking thing on TNG is the drat tricorder. Why they didn't apply the touch concepts to it I don't know.

The tricorder was always a terrible prop when you got to see the readouts in anything resembling a closeup. I don't think it's bulkiness is bad, there's an awful of of poo poo in there, but the static displays with blinking LEDs are just awful.

Worse, though, is when they show someone pushing non-existent buttons on a hypospray or those little laptop-looking screens on the captain's desks, or tiny misshapen alien PADDS (all screens are shaped like octagons or paisleys because aliens!) or.. or that loving hatch that was just a lid sitting loosely over a hole.

I'm sure the director was like "just pretend there are buttons, you won't be able to tell from the camera angle" but they totally got a shot of their fingers pressing nothing at all and in editing they were just like "gently caress it, good enough".

gently caress

I love star trek

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jago posted:

Stupid, stupid computer.

If you're lucky, the computer might detect a shuttle was leaving the shuttle bay. Like it was something that the computer had no loving clue was happening until it was observed by the external sensors.

And where the gently caress was O'Brien during all of these god damned teleports? Dereliction of duty, I say.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trent posted:

The tricorder was always a terrible prop when you got to see the readouts in anything resembling a closeup. I don't think it's bulkiness is bad, there's an awful of of poo poo in there, but the static displays with blinking LEDs are just awful.

Took them forever to come up with something better, too. Didn't get a decent tricorder until Nemesis when they shoved a scanner prop on top of a palm pilot. (Although the fact that a bunch of the 'buttons' around the edge were stickers was painfully obvious)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 13, 2014

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
There should have been a way for Picard to press a button that disconnected the holodeck from the main computer, then jettisoned it into space. They could then beam Geordi/Barkley directly to 10 forward where they would be flogged in front of the crew by Worf.

I always felt bad for O'Brien, I assume he just spent 8 hours a day standing at parade rest in that lovely little room waiting for some officer to need beamed somewhere.

Nissir fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 13, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apparently, Galaxy-classes had 20 transporter rooms. For how deserted the ship always appears, that's completely insane.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Didn't the NCC-1701-D have like 1010 people on board at all time? If so 20 transporter rooms would be needed in addition to the escape pods if poo poo went downhill fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A thousand people as standard compliment, but up to fifteen thousand if they need to move people fast. And that's probably a limit of the life support - it wouldn't even get crowded with that many people.

• Locked thread