Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

uPen posted:

There aren't any good Yoshi's Island games.

Hey what is with this lovely opinion and people trying to claim one of the best SNES games isn't excellent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Max22 posted:

Is Tappingo worth it at 2 bucks for a fan of Picross?

No. It's incredibly brainless for a puzzle game.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey what is with this lovely opinion and people trying to claim one of the best SNES games isn't excellent?

There are people who genuinely don't like it. Horrible, horrible people.

Between ragged breaths they often sputter that the egg mechanic interferes with the pacing of the game. They clench their crooked teeth and hiss, as if their own existence pains them, before claiming that it's distinctly un-Mario and an unworthy successor to Super Mario World.

You can point to its incredible aesthetic or level design for a rebuttal, but I find the best way to deal with these complaints is to turn on the lights and watch the dissenters scurry, frightened, back into their squalid holes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yoshi's Story is good and way cuter than the also good Yoshi's Island. :colbert:

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Yoshi's Story is cute, but way to easy. 100%'ing Yoshi's Island may be the pinnacle of 2d platforming.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

JordanKai posted:

Yoshi's Story is good and way cuter than the also good Yoshi's Island. :colbert:

Also has unlockable super yoshis and more interesting boss fights IMO, which is why I like Story more than Island.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Sarchasm posted:

There are people who genuinely don't like it. Horrible, horrible people.

Between ragged breaths they often sputter that the egg mechanic interferes with the pacing of the game. They clench their crooked teeth and hiss, as if their own existence pains them, before claiming that it's distinctly un-Mario and an unworthy successor to Super Mario World.

You can point to its incredible aesthetic or level design for a rebuttal, but I find the best way to deal with these complaints is to turn on the lights and watch the dissenters scurry, frightened, back into their squalid holes.

This is accurate.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Max22 posted:

Is Tappingo worth it at 2 bucks for a fan of Picross?

I enjoyed it for 10 minutes, but I might be brainless. It is a simple game to play when you need to kill a few minutes.

I'd say for $2 there are worse choices.

Although it's nothing like Picross, at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When Tappingo came out I saw a bunch of comments from people talking about how cool it way, then a day later I saw a bunch more comments from those same people talking about how they changed their mind and it actually sucks, but I don't remember why.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I played through it while listening to radio documentaries. It's good for some mindless time-killing, but there really should be more levels to it. I suppose the point is for you to hone your skills and improve your time on the completed puzzles, but there's really not much of a replay value there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 15):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Fit Music for Wii U - €29.90 / £24.90
WII U eSHOP
    Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mr. Driller 2 (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until May 27
    Mario Kart 8/Super Mario Kart digital promotion - buy Super Mario Kart on the VC, get a €7.99 / £5.49 discount on Mario Kart 8! Starts May 30, ends June 30.

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Kirby Triple Deluxe - €39.99 / £34.99 (May 16)
3DS eSHOP
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars - €39.99 / £31.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Mario Golf World Tour on the eShop, get Mario Golf (GBC) for free! (promo runs until May 29)
    Buy Kirby Triple Deluxe on the eShop, get Kirby's Dreamland 2 (GB) for free! (promo runs from May 16-June 16)
    Mario Golf World Tour DLC Season Pass - €11.99 / £10.79 until May 31
    Tappingo (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.69 until May 15
    Darts Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until May 31

Note the Kirby promo - buy the game digitally, get Kirby's Dreamland 2 for free! GAME UK was selling the eShop code for 27.99 but they seem to have pulled it, sucks.

Conception II is eShop-only in PAL-land... why Atlus decided they could self-publish that game and not SMT4 iis beyond me.

Mr. Driller 2 is the first third-party GBA game to hit the VC anywhere in the world, as far as I'm aware. Namco has already rated a bunch of games including Klonoa, so we should hopefully see those soon, too.

Scram Kitty seems like it might be pretty good, here's some footage: (EDIT: apparently the TV is supposed to be a secondary display for other people and the primary gameplay takes place on the gamepad, hence all the annoying popups and nonsensical camera shown in the footage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufO-yArFJ54

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 12, 2014

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Conception II is eShop-only in PAL-land... why Atlus decided they could self-publish that game and not SMT4 iis beyond me.

The PR guy for Atlus said there were some "problems" that he could not diverge to the public. Legal difficulties, perhaps?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

What time does the eshop usually update for off-cycle promotions? I'm chomping at the bit to buy EO:U on sale and hoping I'll have it for the train ride home.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JordanKai posted:

Story was fun at the time and is better than the later ones, but it really didn't hold up too well. Go back and try it, its so easy and kinda boring. It was fun when N64 was new and if you were a kid it was great, but its only so-so.

Compare that to Yoshi's Island which to this day is still decently interesting and challenging. And none of the games topped the first one's art style, they actually each got progressively worse.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Haters gonna hate?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

The PR guy for Atlus said there were some "problems" that he could not diverge to the public. Legal difficulties, perhaps?

I think the easy version is old index went bankrupt just after making a deal with a European publisher and Sega Dream/new index/Atlus is in a legal battle with said publisher. NDAs make it impossible for them to say anything.

People think this is one company, but index ceased to exist late last year and Sega bought out the SMT/Atlus IP and renamed their new company to index, then spun off Atlus into a new company in April. Conception II was able to come out so quickly because it's Spike Chunsoft's IP and not wrapped up in stupid legal bullshit.

SMT IV isn't the only thing missing from the SMT roster either. Persona 2 Eternal Punishment for the PSP was cancelled at the same time and index digital media (now Atlus USA) released the original Playstation version as a replacement.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hey, Club Nintendo rewards are up.

3D Classics Kirby's Adventure
Brain Age Express Arts and Letters

Mario Kart 64
Super Metroid

is Kirby's Adventure a good port?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dehry posted:

SMT IV isn't the only thing missing from the SMT roster either. Persona 2 Eternal Punishment for the PSP was cancelled at the same time and index digital media (now Atlus USA) released the original Playstation version as a replacement.

To be fair, that was before all the index bankruptcy business. And they never actually said why they didn't put out EPP, just "Unusual Circumstances".

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Mario Kart 64
Super Metroid

Ooh, nice. I've never actually played Kirby's Adventure, but I had purchased the Wii Kirby collection shortly before I got my 3DS. I was hesitant to spend money on it again, but as a Club Nintendo reward I'll probably go for it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kirby's Adventure is fantastic and it's also one of the best-looking 3D Classics. All the sprite-layering is crisp and the game holds up fantastically, even though it's not quite Kirby Super Star.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Mario Kart 64
Super Metroid

Damnit, of course they put up Super Metroid after I spend $8 on it. Oh well..

3D Classics Kirby's Adventure is actually pretty great, Kirby's Adventure is a great Kirby game and the 3D effects actually look pretty cool in it. I think I got it when it was a reward a long time ago and I wasn't disappointed at all.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hooray, I been wanting to grab Kirby Adventure 3D for a long while.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Dunno if it happened for just me, but all of the bonus minigames always have the same patterns or layouts everytime you play them. But other than that, the port is fine.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Do not even ask posted:

Dunno if it happened for just me, but all of the bonus minigames always have the same patterns or layouts everytime you play them. But other than that, the port is fine.

The minigames always had the same patterns/layouts in the original version. If I remember, the egg-eating game had only two, maybe three, patterns so they were pretty easy to figure out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Alright, I know what to play during commutes then.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega
So the Mario Kart 64 code is good for Wii/Wii U it says... If I buy it now and download it on my Wii, would I be able to download it again on a Wii U when I buy one in the future?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Download the Wii U transfer app on your Wii and then yes. Download it now because all the Wii/NDS internet stuff goes away.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
No it doesn't, only the multiplayer stuff does, because they had a deal with GameSpy and GameSpy is shutting down. The shop will still be accessible.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So most of my Club Coins are gonna expire by the end of June, and I'm at 195...just 5 away from using them on Kirby. Is there anything free in the eShop (like Steel Diver or Rusty's) that'll net me that tiny reward?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mordja posted:

So most of my Club Coins are gonna expire by the end of June, and I'm at 195...just 5 away from using them on Kirby. Is there anything free in the eShop (like Steel Diver or Rusty's) that'll net me that tiny reward?

Yea, download the free trials of Steel Diver and Pokebank and you'll get points from them. Probably Rusty too, I dunno, I paid for that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Mario Kart 64
Super Metroid

Neat. I haven't played Kirby's Adventure since I had it for the NES in the 90s. This should tide me over until I finally get around to buying Triple Deluxe.

Can't justify the purchase right now with Bravely Default and my giant PC backlog :shobon:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

elf help book posted:

Yea, download the free trials of Steel Diver and Pokebank and you'll get points from them. Probably Rusty too, I dunno, I paid for that.

Hey, thanks! I already had Subgame and Rusty, but I would never have thought about the bank.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
On the original Wii, apps like Netflix would even give you coins.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"CoroCoro Comics has revealed a new Nintendo 3DS eShop game called The Thieves and the 1000 Pokémon to be released in the Japanese Nintendo eShop on 5 June 2014. It will be free to download but it will be available on the Nintendo eShop for a limited time. In the game you gather Pokémon by StreetPassing and then use them to battle the thieves who are the same thieves that appear in Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction. CoroCoro suggests a link between the game and the movie with secrets related to the connection to be revealed in the next issue."

So, if you're in Japan, I guess you can download a free distraction to use all those Streepasses you keep getting.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Mordja posted:

How did you even end up with 195 coins? I thought everything was in denominations of 10.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TechnoSyndrome posted:

How did you even end up with 195 coins? I thought everything was in denominations of 10.

Stuff like demos or whatever may only give you +5 coins for a survey.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So what's the deal with the different tiers of club Nintendo stuff? Like gold and platinum I think? What kind of bonus stuff have they given out in the past? I'm like 100 points away from the next tier.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Platinum tends to be a new exclusive variation on something else, last year was fancy mario playing cards or some awesome posters or was it the OST? Regardless something of a non-significant value.

Gold is usually a Calendar or one of several digital games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stan Taylor posted:

So what's the deal with the different tiers of club Nintendo stuff? Like gold and platinum I think? What kind of bonus stuff have they given out in the past? I'm like 100 points away from the next tier.

As you register things you buy you get points. If you get enough points in a year, you qualify for gold, more points and you qualify for platinum. At the end of the year you can pick a reward, platinum gets better ones. You can also spend your points for rewards, and that doesn't lower your tier status. Its about your total earned points, and if you earned a bunch of them, you get an extra on top.

Each year you reset your tier and have to build up to gold/platinum again, regardless of where you were last tier.

Last year I hit Platinum and got a Majora's Mask soundtrack that is actually really baller. But it is just a CD. (although its a nice 2 disc CD set with every song you could want in high quality, and with good album art)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh so they actually ship you poo poo? Awesome. I may try to hit platinum in that case. I thought it would just be lame "digital wallpaper" junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh so they actually ship you poo poo? Awesome. I may try to hit platinum in that case. I thought it would just be lame "digital wallpaper" junk.

It's also frequently stuff that is 100% unavailable officially any other way. Note that you have to have platinum by the end of June 30th, the reward options get announced shortly afterwards and then it still takes months before they actually ship them out (I think they do a production run based on how many of each reward tier were chosen).