Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The intel chromebooks are much, much faster than the Samsung ones which use a tablet-level CPU. But the screen isn't really all that great on the Acer Chromebook, which is powered by Intel, and it's great on the HP, which has a Samsung chip.

Anything that can make a hotspot will work

Thanks.

Was looking at the acer c720p. Touchscreen isn't a necessity, but might be nice considering I have never owned a laptop and so struggle with touchpads.

Price isn't a concern but I'm just struggling with the $350-$400 price point. For a few hundred dollars more I can get a real computer with possibly a number pad. But the chrome book meets my needs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

The intel chromebooks are much, much faster than the Samsung ones which use a tablet-level CPU. But the screen isn't really all that great on the Acer Chromebook, which is powered by Intel, and it's great on the HP, which has a Samsung chip.

Solution: the Toshiba chromebook. Great screen, Celeron processor.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Intel making a major announcement about their chips and 20 new chrome books being released towards the end of the month, if you can wait that long.

edit: link http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/new-chromebooks-2014-toshiba-hp-dell-asus-lenovo-and-more-to-market-20-new-chromebooks-24720

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 11, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Solution: the Toshiba chromebook. Great screen, Celeron processor.

I've been using my Toshiba Chromebook for a few weeks now and have really enjoyed it considering its sub-300 dollar price. I take it to work at least twice a week and it's been great to browse the forums with and stream baseball games. I think the keyboard is certainly better than the one on the smaller Acer model.

I could see myself getting another one of these in a year if they're markedly improved.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm in the market for a laptop, but I'm not sure where I should start looking. I don't have super hefty needs, since it will mostly be for watching videos and lugging to class for notes and stuff, but it's also going to be my main computer for a few months, so I'd like it to be able to play some older games, too. I'm not looking at anything too stressful, just older windows/DOS games, but I don't think a chromebook would work for that kind of thing. I'm not set in stone for price, but something in the ballpark of $500 is what I'm looking at.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Lenovo y series, anyone have one? You like it? Thinking of picking up a 510p due to the sale.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Badgers posted:

Lenovo y series, anyone have one? You like it? Thinking of picking up a 510p due to the sale.
The y510p is pretty well regarded. It's not amazing--it doesn't have the high-end build quality of the T/W series, doesn't have the performance of a laptop that mashed a 880M into it, nor the form factor or battery life of an Ultrabook--but for the price, it's a very reasonable piece of kit. Also do not be fooled by the "sale." They are always on sale.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Intel making a major announcement about their chips and 20 new chrome books being released towards the end of the month, if you can wait that long.

edit: link http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/new-chromebooks-2014-toshiba-hp-dell-asus-lenovo-and-more-to-market-20-new-chromebooks-24720

Microsoft announcing a new Surface on May 20

http://www.maximumpc.com/new_intel-powered_tablet_likely_may_20_surface_event200

If you're going to buy a new laptop in the next 14 days, you ought to wait until at least the third week in May. Looks like a new more efficent chipset at the very least, broadwell (desktop, at least) pushed to this fall. BTS means "Back To School" which is third week of may-end of September, presumably SR and HR mean spring retail and holiday retail:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 12, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This was reported two weeks ago, just now saw it

New Intel mobile processors, same as the old, now with higher frequencies. Most models saw a 100mhz bump (4-7% increase), some models saw a 200mhz bump, which is 10-12% increase (highlighted)

Of note is that first one, the Celeron 2950M/2970M might be what's going in to the new Chromebooks expected later this month, being the cheapest processors on that list by almost $75. 200mhz bump on the Celerson2950M 2ghz chip is a direct 10% clock speed bump.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 12, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

My parents want me to pick up a laptop for them. As it is they have a Asus 17" immovable piece of poo poo that doesn't see any use and a netbook that's slightly above average that's having issues. My father is using a work laptop for work business so productivity isn't really a must - My mother might be using the thing for occasional e-mail however.

So it's mainly for my mother, really. Things she does with the laptop limit themselves to surfing the web, checking TV programmes, watching some online cooking shows, using our national broadcasting company's streaming service which has iOS, Android and WP8/Windows 8 clients in addition to the web site. Budget isn't really limited, they're willing to pay even around 1000 € for the thing. She uses the laptop while sitting on a recliner most of the time, so it has be fairly light and preferably run fairly cool (Though we have a lap desk with a fan/can get one).

My mother is also tentatively interested on tablets "Because she's seen tourists using them to read papers and books while they've been travelling", etc. Ebook market in the Finnish language however is limited, but I guess a tablet isn't out of the question for media consumption purposes. Flash etc. support has me a bit on the edge though. Originally the thing didn't have to really stand the sunshine, but apparently now they need for the thing to work decently outside "As they *may* use it on the balcony in the Summer." :cripes: (Google up the length of the Finnish Summer).

I just want them to get a well-functioning laptop that I won't get complaints about since they have the money to throw on it, one that has great usability because gently caress with the machines they've gotten used to. I've been thinking about the 13" Mac Book Air as it'd fit their budget and those seem reliable. I'd probably have to get a Bootcamp windows from the get-go in case they're not happy/willing to getting used to OSX. Troubleshooting poo poo would be a nightmare since I have no user experience. Thinking of setting some sort of remote desktop thing from the get-go. Another alternative is some sort of laptop/tablet hybrid - Preferably Windows 8 because they'd probably get used to it more than any "regular" touch based interfaces - they have limited experience from touch based interfaces. But I'm completely out of touch of hybrids and from quick search they seem to be a bit underpowered, so I'm worried they'll start complaining how slow it gets. I'd also pretty much have to tutor them on things like "You know that website you visit? It has an app that's more user friendly for this device." etc.

TLDR:
- Laptop/Hybrid/Tablet for max around 1000 €/$
- Media consumption (Betting they want to attach the thing with HDMI to the TV from time to time).
- Mostly used on the lap while sitting on a recliner (Light, cool)
- Great usability for dummies
- Won't start running out of power in two-three years for regular surfing/watching video streams (Flash support)
- Will be the main computer in the family and see the most use. (So *some* amount of content creation has to be possible without hassle).
- Just get a decent laptop (which?) + cheap'ish tablet like the Nexus 7? (Mother is somewhat interested in trying out tablets).

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I just started looking for a media editing/performance/light gaming laptop, but am not yet super familiar with the market. Applications would include: Photoshop, Lighroom, Premiere, After Effects, Resolume (for VJing), Ableton Live 9, and occasionally basic steam games like CS/Civ5/Dota2. If it's too expensive to get a model that can reasonably do the video editing or gaming stuff I can stick with my 2500K Sandy Bridge desktop and just find a laptop that can do the rest when I'm on the road.

I'm open to considering a Macbook pro, but I'd ideally like to find something under $1K and stick with Windows.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 12, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Again, I don't have it yet (ships in 1-3 days) but I got the Asus N550JK for the same purposes.

Quad core processor and 1080p screen for video creation/rendering, good GPU for gaming, within $1000 of your budget.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Again, I don't have it yet (ships in 1-3 days) but I got the Asus N550JK for the same purposes.

Quad core processor and 1080p screen for video creation/rendering, good GPU for gaming, within $1000 of your budget.

Is it possible to add an SSD boot drive to that?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yes, you can swap the stock drive for one and replace the optical drive with one as well.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So I've been annoying the poo poo out of the guys at xotic (maybe?) with all sorts of questions about this that and the other thing...mostly because I think it's neat stuff and I want to learn more. So here are some of the things I've learned that I think are worth sharing:

- The Gigabyte P34Gv2-CF1 is currently available exclusively through XoticPC
- Apparently Gigabyte stuff takes a little a little longer than expected to get to them, sometimes
- That said, all my parts got in today so they should be moving on to the next step tomorrow

I'm super excited and once I've got my hands on it I'm definitely going to try and write up some kind of review.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm super excited and once I've got my hands on it I'm definitely going to try and write up some kind of review.
I'll be interested to see what all they actually changed from the v1. The big complaints about it the first time around were the fan was loud (largely fixed with firmware updates when idle, but a thin laptop has to dump heat out somehow), the keyboard wasn't great (it isn't), the 7260 wireless cards they were packing had issues (largely fixed with updated Intel drivers), battery life was bad (unavoidable in a 3.5lbs "gaming" laptop), and the SmartManager program used to control brightness, volume, etc., tended to kick you out of full-screen programs (fixed).

Actual performance was always quite good, the screen is amazing, and at 3.5lbs it's stupid light. If they manage to actually improve on the keyboard and battery issues, they'd be as close to "perfect" as you can get for a $1400 "gaming" laptop.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So what's good these days for the following:
    Things I want
  • High Portability (thin/lightweight)
  • Good Battery Life
  • Decent sized Screen
  • Bargain (as much as possible)

Things I Don't Need
  • High performance
  • Gaming & media

Basically this is a going to be a highly portable laptop that I carry around for school and work. The little gaming I do is being handled just fine by my desktop, so I have no interest in buying a laptop to play games on or watch movies. I just want it for school and work. That means that being easy to carry around and having good battery life is the most important thing.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

I got an old HP Pavilion tx2617ca that I love to bits but its one major problem is that it's hot and loud. What are my most effective, proven options here? I can and will do anything. It's a queer little brick, 30.5cm (12in) by 22.2cm (8.74in) by my measurements.

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

Badgers posted:

Posting off a y510p that I picked up a couple months ago, it's great for what I paid. Running linux off the 24gb "cache" SSD (for which you have to to a firmware update if anyone else is interested or had problems doing that). Solid speakers, screen, speed, the ability to rip out the optical drive and throw a SSD in there... aww yeah.

On a unrelated note, I'm in the Windows ultrabook market for the girlfriend. 13 inch, preferably with HD5000, 256GB SSD, hopefully under $1200. I know Macbook Airs are leading the pack, but we'd prefer non-apple if there's a reasonable alternative. My recent plunge into the laptop market makes me want to loving kill myself, 9000 variations on every model, no real details on screen type from most vendors, you kinda just peruse your local retailers listings and hope you're not going to buy something loving awful. Looking at Zenbooks, primarily though they seem a little expensive for the hardware. Anyone have any good PC ultrabook suggestions?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313017CVF

Would this be a good buy? I really like the size and that it's about 2 ghz. I will not do anything more intense than play videos or run multiple programs at the same time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313017CVF

Would this be a good buy? I really like the size and that it's about 2 ghz. I will not do anything more intense than play videos or run multiple programs at the same time.

If you mosey on over to the Lenovo Outlet store you can find those on sale for under $300 most any day of the week. I've seen the i3 models for $225 refurbished before.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
I'm in Canada so the Lenovo Outlet is not ideal due to customs/shipping. This Canadian Newegg site has a bunch of cheap refurbished models, but they all seem to have terrible problems according to the reviews. Not too fond of refurbishes at the moment since I have an Asus one that also has problems.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

-Blackadder- posted:

Things I want
  • Good Battery Life
  • Decent sized Screen

Things I Don't Need
  • High performance
  • Gaming & media

Basically this is a going to be a highly portable laptop that I carry around for school and work. The little gaming I do is being handled just fine by my desktop, so I have no interest in buying a laptop to play games on or watch movies. I just want it for school and work. That means that being easy to carry around and having good battery life is the most important thing.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13

12+ hours battery life if you get a 2013 model.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hadlock posted:

Microsoft announcing a new Surface on May 20

http://www.maximumpc.com/new_intel-powered_tablet_likely_may_20_surface_event200

If you're going to buy a new laptop in the next 14 days, you ought to wait until at least the third week in May. Looks like a new more efficent chipset at the very least, broadwell (desktop, at least) pushed to this fall. BTS means "Back To School" which is third week of may-end of September, presumably SR and HR mean spring retail and holiday retail:

I am annoyed that this has come out so soon after my recent purchase, but eh. What are the chances that the Precision M4800 was going to get a chip set refresh anyways? :shrug:

sports
Sep 1, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Things I want
  • Good Battery Life
  • Decent sized Screen

Things I Don't Need
  • High performance
  • Gaming & media

I don't think you need the performance standard met by the current MacBook Air, so I'd recommend the HP 15" Chromebook, or if you sacrifice the screen for better all around quality go with the Acer C720.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm window shopping in anticipation of buying a laptop in a few months after I get some paychecks at my new job, and I am curious what to look out for. I want something that can play FFXIV on the go but well, as I'm spoiled by a nice desktop setup, but I don't want a dweebatron megalaptop that's difficult to lug to work daily.

Basically, of the OP's pick two, I want portable and performance. Also I am rather partial to Lenovo and the clitmouse and build quality, but am not unwilling to consider others.

What should I keep my eye on and how much should I save?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Wizard of Oz posted:

I got an old HP Pavilion tx2617ca that I love to bits but its one major problem is that it's hot and loud. What are my most effective, proven options here? I can and will do anything. It's a queer little brick, 30.5cm (12in) by 22.2cm (8.74in) by my measurements.

1) Get an air duster and blow the dust out of all the vents.
2) If you're comfortable applying Arctic Silver or the like, from a cursory GIS it looks like you can remove the keyboard, then the heatsink and you can apply some AS3.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am annoyed that this has come out so soon after my recent purchase, but eh. What are the chances that the Precision M4800 was going to get a chip set refresh anyways? :shrug:

It's a minor bump, I think Apple already saw these changes in production and they were pretty underwhelming.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/2014-macbook-air-refresh/

While supposedly the new "Haswell-E" will have support for DDR4 (and with it, support for 16GB SO-DIMMs, thus freeing us from the tyranny of "only" 16GB ram in consumer laptops) A) those chips aren't yet avalible and B) they'll be stupidly expensive to stard and C) aren't compatible with the DDR3 SO-DIMM formfactor (more pins, physically larger overall)

This isn't even "bought a V6 three weeks before they announced the V8", this is "bought the gas model three weeks before they announced the flex-fuel model"

Intel's big push has been on the low power end of the spectrum for years, we haven't seen anything exciting on the performance end of the spectrum since Sandy Bridge back in Fall of 2012, only 3-6% increments since then with Ivy Bridge and now Haswell. 2700K is Sandy Bridge, 4xxx is Haswell:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tangentially-related: Variable refresh rates added to DisplayPort 1.2a spec: http://techreport.com/news/26451/adaptive-sync-added-to-displayport-spec

As I understand it, most laptops currently do not support the already-extant eDP features, correct? (Those features being the ones that AMD used to show off "Freesync") Can we expect these features to become more widespread for notebooks too?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Will 1.2 compliant (Haswell HD4400, 4600, 4200, 5000, 5100 etc) GPUs support 1.2a, or is this a forwards-compatibility only feature? That is pretty neat, if I'm reading correctly, variable refresh rate will give us 0 latency hardware vsync? Vsync makes things just silky smooth but I've always turned it off in games because of the lag it introduced. I haven't really screwed around with it since Portal 2 in 2011 though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hadlock posted:

Will 1.2 compliant (Haswell HD4400, 4600, 4200, 5000, 5100 etc) GPUs support 1.2a, or is this a forwards-compatibility only feature? That is pretty neat, if I'm reading correctly, variable refresh rate will give us 0 latency hardware vsync? Vsync makes things just silky smooth but I've always turned it off in games because of the lag it introduced. I haven't really screwed around with it since Portal 2 in 2011 though.

Part of the nice thing in adding variable refresh rates to DP 1.2a, as opposed to rolling it into 1.3 is that if the underlying hardware all supports it, then compliance becomes merely a matter of pushing a driver update for the functionality.

That said, no. Variable display refresh rates mean that displays won't be locked to whatever frequency (whether it be 50Hz, 60Hz, 120Hz, or 240Hz, or whatever) but instead only refresh when a full frame is ready for display, dropping down as low as (according to the new spec) 9Hz if necessary to keep video smooth instead of tearing. It removes Vsync from the equation entirely.

Personally, I can't wait to reap whatever battery benefits we'll get out of this.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

plotskee posted:

On a unrelated note, I'm in the Windows ultrabook market for the girlfriend. 13 inch, preferably with HD5000, 256GB SSD, hopefully under $1200. I know Macbook Airs are leading the pack, but we'd prefer non-apple if there's a reasonable alternative. My recent plunge into the laptop market makes me want to loving kill myself, 9000 variations on every model, no real details on screen type from most vendors, you kinda just peruse your local retailers listings and hope you're not going to buy something loving awful. Looking at Zenbooks, primarily though they seem a little expensive for the hardware. Anyone have any good PC ultrabook suggestions?
I know this isn't want you want to hear (I didn't want to hear it either), but the MacBook Air seems to be by far the most sensible choice, especially if you want the HD5000 (does anybody else actually even use these?). I was hoping for something "else", but if those are your requirements, I don't see how you could actually get anything else:

The 13in MacBook Air has:
  • 1.4GHz i5
  • Intel HD5000
  • 4GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
It costs $1199, $1099 for the 11in model. Long story short, I'm getting an i7/8GB RAM 13in MBA delivered today... :saddowns::hf::fap:

Part of the problem with other ultrabooks seems to be the SSD, Dell usually only has 128GB in its XPS11/12/13 as standard.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Trebuchet King posted:

So I've been annoying the poo poo out of the guys at xotic (maybe?) with all sorts of questions about this that and the other thing...mostly because I think it's neat stuff and I want to learn more. So here are some of the things I've learned that I think are worth sharing:

- The Gigabyte P34Gv2-CF1 is currently available exclusively through XoticPC
- Apparently Gigabyte stuff takes a little a little longer than expected to get to them, sometimes
- That said, all my parts got in today so they should be moving on to the next step tomorrow

Pulled the trigger on a P35Gv2 through XoticPC yesterday and will likely be doing the same. I've been hunting for a macbook pro-killer to replace an aging Latitude for heavy photo and graphic work and I'm crossing my fingers that this thing lives up to expectations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any Windows laptops with 13" screens and glass trackpads that are somewhat comparable to the Macbook trackpad?

Right now I'm using a Macbook Air (13") and really love it, but I find myself using bootcamp quite often which is almost negating the benefit of it being a Macbook...

EDIT: Oh, low resolution is also fine. I don't like "HiDPI" on Windows too much anyways...

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I see there's a 820m GPU available, anyone have an idea how that would compare to Intel's GPUs?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Drunk Badger posted:

I see there's a 820m GPU available, anyone have an idea how that would compare to Intel's GPUs?

Likely very poorly. It still uses Fermi, amazingly enough.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Just ordered a Sager NP8278 straight from Xotic. Was originally trying to order one from a reseller here in Montreal. It was $500 more expensive and they were pretty useless at letting me pay for it so I cancelled. Even with shipping fees, buying it straight from Xotic was so much cheaper than a reseller :toot:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hollow Talk posted:

I know this isn't want you want to hear (I didn't want to hear it either), but the MacBook Air seems to be by far the most sensible choice, especially if you want the HD5000 (does anybody else actually even use these?). I was hoping for something "else", but if those are your requirements, I don't see how you could actually get anything else.

The X1C and some of the pricier EliteBooks use it too.

Anyway it's not a very sensible requirement - there isn't anything that you can do on an HD5000 that you can't on a 4400 so I'd be more concerned about the display (which is something that you are always going to be looking at)

sports
Sep 1, 2012

dissss posted:

The X1C and some of the pricier EliteBooks use it too.

Anyway it's not a very sensible requirement - there isn't anything that you can do on an HD5000 that you can't on a 4400 so I'd be more concerned about the display (which is something that you are always going to be looking at)

I would be concerned about the poor font rendering and scaling present on Windows 8, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Girlfriend is going off to college and she's asking me to pick out a "gaming" laptop out for her. What this means is she wants to play games on it for probably the next 5 or 6 years. Her budgets is upwards of $900. It'll mostly be used for Civ V, Dark Souls 2, Minecraft, and whatever cool thing that might come out. She's not beneath lowering the graphical settings to keep running new stuff.

It needs to be a gaming Laptop because it gets super hot in her room, and she wants to use it down-stairs with her family, and her current rig is way too big to move around like that.