Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Zorak posted:

E: Speaking of the Scry Lands, it's funny how everyone thought they were unplayable and now they're played in everything in Standard and also in some Modern decks.

My favorite terrible prediction is still people thinking Elspeth Sun's Champion was too expensive to be playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Zemyla posted:

Also, look at MTG Salvation.

(Don't look at MTG Salvation, it's awful now.)

Just now?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Greghatch is streaming with a sweet standard brew, here- http://www.twitch.tv/greghatch

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just got back from winning an SCG Open Trial playing Tyler Winn's R/W Burn list.

Wild Guess and Eidolon of the Great Revel are truly amazing, guys. The Eidolon is basically a more consistent Ash Zealot, and if not dealt with immediately, provides ridiculous value in the game going forward, especially against decks playing Mana Confluence. I beat a Selesnya player because he couldn't pump his Unflinching Courage-ed VoR with Selesnya Charm because he only had Mana Confluence & Forest untapped, and he'd end up losing a life from Eidolon.

Wild Guess adds a lot more consistency to your hand, as my dead Searing Bloods or extra Mountains or Chained against control turned into more burn. The card was always fantastic for me in the midgame.

Never drew Dictate once even though I sided it in against a few players, so I can't comment on it. Overall, the list feels a lot more consistent than the pre-JiN variants I was playing with, for those who are interested. I played against two B/G Devotion decks and two Esper Control decks, and beat both 2-0.

Edit: The only changes to the list I'd make are to the sideboard. I'll probably play Deicide over Wear/Tear, just because the Mono-U matchup is probably tough, and I might end up taking out the Act of Treasons for Glaring Spotlights, if Naya Hexproof becomes a thing, because the burn deck just completely dies to it.

qbert fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 13, 2014

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Samael posted:

Greghatch is streaming with a sweet standard brew, here- http://www.twitch.tv/greghatch

Hatch went off with this deck earlier, Turn 3 win against U/W control through removal. The deck is a little inconsistent, but it's explosive as all hell.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

kingcobweb posted:

When pro players are like "these new dual lands are great" and people in this thread are like "these new dual lands are awful" you should probably ignore people in the thread.

Ugh you're so lucky you get to say this without getting probated. What's your secret?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kingcobweb posted:

What? Who thought this? They are/were dumb.

edit: LSV when Theros came out:

Pretty much everyone I know went "OH it's a guildgate, but I guess it has scry?" and made a jack-off motion, while I was oging "No, it's a free scry that on your next turn gives you mana"

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Literally The Worst posted:

Pretty much everyone I know went "OH it's a guildgate, but I guess it has scry?" and made a jack-off motion, while I was oging "No, it's a free scry that on your next turn gives you mana"
I thought that they were better than guildgates, but then guildgates got a bad rap mostly because they lived in a set with shocks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Samael posted:

Ahaha Trait Doctoring? It's there solely because it basically reads "U: Target target creature. Cipher" right?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

:science: Repeatably eatable spell for Nivmagus every time it hits as well!

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Deckit posted:

:science: Repeatably eatable spell for Nivmagus every time it hits as well!

Yup. The cutest thing is that you can target with any of the spells, and feed it to Niv in response, and you get the heroic trigger AND the +1/+1 counters. Such a fun deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bvoid posted:

Yup. The cutest thing is that you can target with any of the spells, and feed it to Niv in response, and you get the heroic trigger AND the +1/+1 counters. Such a fun deck.

It's hilarious how many ways the extra words on that card don't matter.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

t1 nivmagus, t2 2xtrait doctoring t3 sage of hours biosihft take 3 turns (also, they're at 8).

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

t1 nivmagus, t2 2xtrait doctoring t3 sage of hours biosihft take 3 turns (also, they're at 8).

Am I doing my math wrong, or is that only 9 counters being put on Sage? Four from swinging on T2, Four from swinging T3, and one from casting Bioshift targeting Sage? And they would only take 6 damage total?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Yeah, I'm dumb, I though nivmagus had heroic. Still, you can make 11 counters with the same cards, just casting the ciphered trait doctoring on sage of hours t3.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That deck is sweet as hell, holy poo poo.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Man I couldn't email my distributors fast enough after seeing the Modern Event Deck. I had 12 displays (so 48 decks) pre-ordered with Alliance, but it's good because allocations were set today and I got cut down to 1 display. :v:

I'm OK with this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
are the temple gardens just for Bioshift really necessary?

e: I just noticed it's only running 17 lands :wtc:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Entropic posted:

It's hilarious how many ways the extra words on that card don't matter.

I've made a few Trait Doctoring decks, and seen plenty more.

And not a single time did the color changing matter.

(I played Extort / Nivmagus / Fling during the last Super Standard. As a gimmick FNM deck.)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Entropic posted:

e: I just noticed it's only running 17 lands :wtc:

Nothing in the deck costs more than 2.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Samael posted:

I played against this last night at my LSG league. It's cute but way too fragile and you can lose to one removal spell early in the game. I don't think it's very viable right now.

Mortimer posted:

If you play a lot of standard how many common and uncommons actually see play?
Let's say you bought theros block, every single set in the block, commons and uncommons

Devo blue: zero theros block commons/uncommons
devo black/golgari: gary and bile blight
esper/uw control: dissolve
RG monsters: zero theros block commons/uncommons
boros aggro: magma jet, lightning strike, searing blood
jund aggro: 0
naya aggro: 0

It's never worth it to buy a full playset of commons and uncommons unless you want to collect them. That's it.

In my opinion Gnarled Scarhide and Brain Maggot make MonoB aggro a top tier deck.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 13, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, if you are up against a deck with removal you basically have to keep Gods Willing or Ajani's Presence up, which is hard to do when you probably only have two lands out. Plus they're going to be very willing to doom blade your guy on your turn, have you tap out to counter it, then they untap and hero's downfall it or something.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bugsy posted:

Liking the new city in a bottle art.

That art is really pretty. :allears:

Also drat, that Modern deck is a piece of junk.

I'm actually amused because somebody I know preordered them at greater than MSRP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Yeah, if you are up against a deck with removal you basically have to keep Gods Willing or Ajani's Presence up, which is hard to do when you probably only have two lands out. Plus they're going to be very willing to doom blade your guy on your turn, have you tap out to counter it, then they untap and hero's downfall it or something.

All the good decks run a ton of instant speed removal and you're basically asking to get 2 for 1'd with most of your plays.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Zorak posted:

E: Speaking of the Scry Lands, it's funny how everyone thought they were unplayable and now they're played in everything in Standard and also in some Modern decks.

That's par for the course I think. As long as I can remember there have been undervalued and overvalued cards that in retrospect look ridiculous. People scoffed at Dark Confidant when it was first revealed. I guess for me its a lot less amusing since its just kind of expected.

kingcobweb posted:

When pro players are like "these new dual lands are great" and people in this thread are like "these new dual lands are awful" you should probably ignore people in the thread.

Pros are wrong all the time when it comes to evaluating new cards. Pretty much the only reasonable advice is "Wait and look at results"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure the reaction was "these kind of suck but they'll see play in Standard because they're better than gates/not running duals". The fact that some decks would start running off-colour scrylands since scrying was good and they didn't need all their lands to come in untapped was unexpected though.

The only Modern play they see is if you're running Suppression Field or something else that means you can't just use fetches to fill out your manabase.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It makes me laugh that people expected the Modern event deck to have cards that are worth more money than it cost to buy the deck.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes me laugh that people expected the Modern event deck to have cards that are worth more money than it cost to buy the deck.

Event decks usually do meet this criteria.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

How do you feel about Jace v Vraska? Ugh WAJ.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

It actually does though. People are whinging about it not being worth 70bux, but Elspeth + Sword + 4x Isolated Chapel + 4x Windbrisk Heights + paths + inquisitions is like 80bux right there.

I think the main disappointment is that most of the rares don't transfer well into other good modern decks, and people were really expecting a marsh flats and/or a bitterblossom.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
I know one guy who was basically expecting "modern staples: the box set"

Man, he's gonna be so pissed he preordered it. I figured it'd be something like this, some utility cards like path with maybe an Elspeth or something.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropic posted:

It actually does though. People are whinging about it not being worth 70bux, but Elspeth + Sword + 4x Isolated Chapel + 4x Windbrisk Heights + paths + inquisitions is like 80bux right there.

I think the main disappointment is that most of the rares don't transfer well into other good modern decks, and people were really expecting a marsh flats and/or a bitterblossom.

And really only the marsh flats would transfer into other decks. I'm disappointed even though I wasn't going to buy it, but I understand why they didn't print "value.dec". If someone wants a broad range of cards to get into modern they should either go back in time for MMA or forward to MMA2

Or blow a paycheck on fetches.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Samael posted:

This is amazing. I actually built a deck very close to this but it has some 3cc stuff like Fabled Hero, Triton Fortune Hunter, no Boros Charm (it's straight U/W) and has Ordeal of Thassa in place of Aqueous Form. The 3cc stuff doesn't get played a whole lot.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
My Alliance rep said that they only received 7% of their pre-orders on the Modern Event Deck.

So don't worry about this thing tanking prices of the singles within, these will be more rare at LGS's than FTVs are.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fox of Stone posted:

How do you feel about Jace v Vraska? Ugh WAJ.

Its not an Event Deck, for one, and second, if the actual value of the sellable singles inside were more than the MSRP, nobody would ever get one. This is because most of the time you're paying for cards that have some value but you can't necessarily sell, e.g. Vraska from that deck. If Event Decks were really full of cards that were legitimately worth more than MSRP, the sellers would just open them and sell all the singles.

What a Judas posted:

Event decks usually do meet this criteria.

They actually don't.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 13, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What's the best dual deck for teaching someone magic?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Dr. Clockwork posted:

My Alliance rep said that they only received 7% of their pre-orders on the Modern Event Deck.

So don't worry about this thing tanking prices of the singles within, these will be more rare at LGS's than FTVs are.

They've also said it isn't a limited release product like FTV so if it sells out before the end of its release window expect more printings.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Are there alt arts? That's the only reason I would buy this.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Hop back a few months in this thread, you'll find plenty.

Are you saying Goons were wrong about magic?

Perish the thought.

Mortimer posted:

What's the best dual deck for teaching someone magic?

Phyrexia vs the Coalition is p cool but it's pretty nostalgia-heavy. There's a lot of neat interactions though and both decks are pretty high variance.

The downside is that it doesn't have much for cards that are playable in tournament formats (Jace vs Vraska is probably marginally better for that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

The individual cards cost way more than it costs to buy the deck, though, so

• Locked thread