Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nah, nobody in this thread has gone SMG on the material or anything, it's just some really basic readings that a lot of people are finding with this show. I've found it all to be pretty straightforward stuff and it's quite well supported by the text.

Heck, it makes for some rather enlightening reading that makes this thread worthwhile! If it wasn't for the far right-wing spiels, literally the only thing this thread would be able to talk about is how the sister wants her brother to bang her and how the show itself is an endless series of irrelevant infodumps. The terrible ideology is by far the most interesting subject about this terrible show!

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just because a lot of people are reading it one way doesn't make it any less reaching.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they were making up such readings then yeah, but lots of people making their arguments cite the show itself. The counterarguments have been "maybe it's not" which I find to be pretty weak!

And heck, even if they *were* making it up, it's way more interesting to talk about that stuff than just saying "it just means nothing". Going underneath the surface of a work is way more compelling than insisting that everything should be taken at face value.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 12, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not insisting it be taken at face value. I've just yet to be convinced by the argument that it's intended to be right wing propaganda.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

It's not insisting it be taken at face value. I've just yet to be convinced by the argument that it's intended to be right wing propaganda.

Srice posted:

The counterarguments have been "maybe it's not" which I find to be pretty weak!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The only argument for it has been "this is kind of similar if I phrase it this way so obviously it's implying X".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Actually, that's not how people were arguing their points at all. Much like the author of the LN, you are painting those who disagree with you as strawmen :v:

I'd be down for repeating and citing why I think the author has issues with poor people (or at the very least, is pushing that message) but I've made my case plenty of times already and at this point I'd just be copying and pasting!

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 12, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think I'm gonna stop engaging him. He is either a really good troll or truly pitiable in any of a number of ways.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think I'm gonna stop engaging him. He is either a really good troll or truly pitiable in any of a number of ways.

I feel like he's legit but all the same yeah it is getting rather circular. Arguing interpretations is fun but this "people are reading too much into it" tangent is a drag because heck, I'd rather get zany readings than no reading at all.

And I guess by that I mean it'd be fun to have SMG post about this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

It's more that ADTRW Reads Too Much Into Things and Doesn't Like A Good Show.

Yes, we read the text. Not even the subtext, we read what was literally published and then explain it to you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
New thread title: Gary Stu's sister does not want to gently caress him in spite of all evidence to the contrary, because she said so.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But is she Tsundere about it? :suicide:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The irregular at magic high school: The text says the rich are rich because they make an effort, but what if it doesn't?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

New thread title: Gary Stu's sister does not want to gently caress him in spite of all evidence to the contrary, because she said so.

I'm not saying there aren't incestuous themes, which are obvious.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You joke, but I actually know someone who says there is zero incest in this.

I guess if he means there is no explicit sex then he'd be right, especially considering this show's views on sexuality (which uh, is another minefield to say the least).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I get it now. It's just a case of show, don't tell.

WickedHate's just holding out for video evidence of the swastika in Tatsuya's hand...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

You joke, but I actually know someone who says there is zero incest in this.

See? That would be an example of being totally blind to the show's themes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That post is so :ironicat: I'd like to frame it on the wall.

Can we just change the thread name to The Irregular at Magic High School: WickedHate vs Literature 101?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Namtab posted:

The irregular at magic high school: The text says the rich are rich because they make an effort, but what if it doesn't?

The Irregular at Magic High School: WickedHate is the Irregular and your interpretations are Chinese Terrorists.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WickedHate posted:

No dude you are literally either thick as a brick or willfully ignorant.

This isn't even subtext at this point. It's just text. That you choose to cover your eyes doesn't really change that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

People keep bringing up race as the main thing in discrimination, but I don't think that makes much sense given the context for a work from a very mono-ethnic society about a high-stakes educational system. From what I understand the Japanese job market tends to be extremely centered around educational pedigree, and getting into the right school/program is far more determinative of where you end up in the social hierarchy than it is in the West (not to say that it's irrelevant in the West, but if you end up demonstrating talent or success outside of the educational system people won't really care about the school you went to). Furthermore, once you get on a certain "track" of schools, it's harder to switch to a better one because the reputation of the school you previously went to weighs you down, and on the other side some "escalator" schools will take you all the way through college no matter what once you get in, unless you burn the place down or something. In the US, outside of a few places like Sidwell Friends I doubt very many people (or even most college admittance offices) have a clue about the reputation of high schools, let alone middle or elementary schools, and even those are mostly only known locally.

In that light, a Japanese show about the lock-in effects of educational tracks and the resultant attitudes of those assigned to them is likely to be about the lock-in effects of educational tracks and the resultant attitudes of those assigned to them, and not about race relations in America. Tatsuya's beef is "the entrance tests don't capture what makes me special," not "total lock-in is a bad idea," but it is still at least a mild criticism of a seriously messed up system, if one loaded down by the author's ability to drain the interest out of any conflict and inability to open a character's mouth without placing it squarely on the MC's crotch.

I was bringing up race mainly as an example of "people being disenfranchised for something they have no or little control over." In the case of this show, it's magical aptitude (given what we've seen that indicates it's largely inherited). While there have been arguments that it's somehow not preferable to be good at magic (since the government forces you to do certain jobs), the show has been pretty damned clear that people would much rather be good at magic than not. It's sort of like a lawyer or doctor in the real world telling a poor person "hey, being rich isn't that great! we sometimes have to work hard!"

Captain Oblivious posted:

Clicking random threads wins again. I did not expect this thread to be ADTRW Attempts to Teach WickedHate Basic College Level Reading Skills.

Is WickedHate even in college? I know the vast majority of posters on the SA forums are college age or older, but I'd feel like a dick if we've been harping on some 15 year old for his reading comprehension skills.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Is WickedHate even in college? I know the vast majority of posters on the SA forums are college age or older, but I'd feel like a dick if we've been harping on some 15 year old for his reading comprehension skills.

I just last week graduated high school, actually.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 13, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Namtab posted:

Race is just being used as a parallel to explain the rough western equivalence of the arguments. But that's a good, interesting post.

I'm not sure the comparison works well, because there's a fundamentally different dynamic at work. The thing about that sort of discrimination by educational sorting is that it has at its core a much higher degree of plausibility. Educational achievement has a much more direct correlation with likely outcomes than the race of the person undertaking the endeavor does. I mean, if you're going to drive over a bridge, would you prefer that the bridge be designed by a graduate of Prestigious Civil Engineering Program A or a graduate of Halfway Decent Engineering Program B? It's entirely possible that the engineer from B is actually quite good, and the one from A isn't as hot as their pedigree suggests, but odds are it's the other way around and the amount of time and effort required to prove otherwise are going to be considerable.

Now, I suspect what the author is trying to get at is the testing-driven nature of the Sorting Hat that is the Japanese educational system, and how a lot of those tests are mostly memorization of facts that may not be of any particular use in your eventual field of work. If the reason that an engineer went to Program B instead of Program A was that they forgot which generals were doing what at the battle of Sekigahara, that's on its face pretty dumb, and that sounds similar to what the MC's situation is; he's really good at getting outcomes, but not by the methods that the test looks for. On the flip side, someone who got into Program A instead because they did remember which generals of the Western Army switched sides was, all else being equal, actually a stronger candidate who was better at memorization and it's hard to actually fault those on the selection committee for making that choice, because that's the way their incentives run. Not everyone who messes up is a diamond in the rough, and the one who jumped through the hoops correctly demonstrated an ability that the one who messed up didn't.

A comparable example in the US educational system would probably be high school extracurricular activities in the college admissions process. They don't really have much to do directly with how good you are at academics, and the "well-rounded person" rationale is a joke; someone with a dozen extracurriculars isn't well-rounded or full of passion, they're a compulsive status-seeker or the child of same, because no one actually has the ability to give meaningful attention to that many activities and they're clearly just padding their resume. But the extracurriculars are quantifiable in a way that academic talent isn't, are signals that the applicant comes from a household that values educational attainment, and show that they can at least give the appearance of being able to function in a social setting (even if they're probably highly neurotic and likely to crash once they hit real failure), so they take on increased importance.

There are tons of dumb and offensive things in the series*, but I don't think any of them are really as offensive as "blacks just aren't as talented/hard-working" the way the comparison would frame it.

*Especially the shoulder-emblem thing, I mean holy poo poo even if you're going to have the classes split having a constant and obvious visual signal of that separation is guaranteed to produce the sort of "don't mix with those people" behavior we saw from the Class 1 students. At least let the students mix during lunch and activities without telling them up-front who's in and who's out. Regardless of whether there's a dumb in-universe reason for why that started, letting it continue would be unconscionable.

Ytlaya posted:

I was bringing up race mainly as an example of "people being disenfranchised for something they have no or little control over." In the case of this show, it's magical aptitude (given what we've seen that indicates it's largely inherited).
Magical talent is presumably actually relevant to doing magic though, in a way that race isn't relevant to job performance. If a trait like that is heritable, you can say that it's not fair in the big scheme of things, but you can't get those without the aptitude to do magic and it would be stupid to not have those with the aptitude make use of it, so you're stuck with an unequal situation because sometimes life isn't fair. Not everyone has the genetics to develop great muscles, and that sort of thing is heritable, and that's just the way it is.

Furthermore, I doubt that magic is actually the only way to be able to vote or achieve wealth and power in fantasy Japan, so calling it "disenfranchisement" seems a bit of a stretch.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How are people missing the incest theme? :psyduck:
The sister literally said that she wished her brother saw her "as a woman", while she was in her underclothes no less, before murdering him in a jealous rage because he rebuked her advance.

gently caress me now there's a sentence goddamn anime

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^^ Clearly she is simply upset because she has ovarian cancer and is upset that her brother refuses to face the reality of the situation and continues to insist that she is, in fact, a man.

Paracelsus posted:

There are tons of dumb and offensive things in the series*, but I don't think any of them are really as offensive as "blacks just aren't as talented/hard-working" the way the comparison would frame it.

*Especially the shoulder-emblem thing, I mean holy poo poo even if you're going to have the classes split having a constant and obvious visual signal of that separation is guaranteed to produce the sort of "don't mix with those people" behavior we saw from the Class 1 students. At least let the students mix during lunch and activities without telling them up-front who's in and who's out. Regardless of whether there's a dumb in-universe reason for why that started, letting it continue would be unconscionable.
Magical talent is presumably actually relevant to doing magic though, in a way that race isn't relevant to job performance. If a trait like that is heritable, you can say that it's not fair in the big scheme of things, but you can't get those without the aptitude to do magic and it would be stupid to not have those with the aptitude make use of it, so you're stuck with an unequal situation because sometimes life isn't fair. Not everyone has the genetics to develop great muscles, and that sort of thing is heritable, and that's just the way it is.

Furthermore, I doubt that magic is actually the only way to be able to vote or achieve wealth and power in fantasy Japan, so calling it "disenfranchisement" seems a bit of a stretch.

I think your issue is more with the race analogy being an exaggeration than with it being a wrong analogy. Race can just be replaced with family wealth to fix the issues you seem to have with it. People from wealthier families are often legitimately more qualified simply because they had access to a superior education and a more healthy childhood. But a Tatsuya equivalent in the real world would say that this isn't something worth being upset about and that the children of the wealthy still deserve to be more successful. Such a viewpoint is admittedly less bad than someone who believes minorities are inferior or something, but it's still reprehensible.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 13, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Dammit WickedHate, stop trying to defend it so much. It's got a terrible story and several characters' backstories exist only as red herrings while their only real purpose is their :stonk: reaction whenever the MC does something, to proclaim how amazing he is or tell him to stop being so modest about his flawless talents.

Just turn off your brain and watch it for the artstyle and cute girls, if you weren't taking this show so seriously this thread wouldn't be anywhere near page 11.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

I'm not sure the comparison works well, because there's a fundamentally different dynamic at work. The thing about that sort of discrimination by educational sorting is that it has at its core a much higher degree of plausibility. Educational achievement has a much more direct correlation with likely outcomes than the race of the person undertaking the endeavor does. I mean, if you're going to drive over a bridge, would you prefer that the bridge be designed by a graduate of Prestigious Civil Engineering Program A or a graduate of Halfway Decent Engineering Program B? It's entirely possible that the engineer from B is actually quite good, and the one from A isn't as hot as their pedigree suggests, but odds are it's the other way around and the amount of time and effort required to prove otherwise are going to be considerable.

Well, I'm not sure I'd give a drat in that case. You generally want the best possible people when you're doing something that's never been done before. Bridge building isn't some amazingly hard task that can only be successfully done by the best possible people (which is probably fortunate given the number of bridges in existence).

Paracelsus posted:

A comparable example in the US educational system would probably be high school extracurricular activities in the college admissions process. They don't really have much to do directly with how good you are at academics, and the "well-rounded person" rationale is a joke; someone with a dozen extracurriculars isn't well-rounded or full of passion, they're a compulsive status-seeker or the child of same, because no one actually has the ability to give meaningful attention to that many activities and they're clearly just padding their resume. But the extracurriculars are quantifiable in a way that academic talent isn't, are signals that the applicant comes from a household that values educational attainment, and show that they can at least give the appearance of being able to function in a social setting (even if they're probably highly neurotic and likely to crash once they hit real failure), so they take on increased importance.

What? I thought those got added to the college admission processes in order to exclude Jews.

I mean, it's entirely possible you're correct, and that they do help identify better applicants, but given their initial discriminatory nature, I'd be a bit suspicious if they just happened to be good at identifying better applicants.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HiveCommander posted:

Dammit WickedHate, stop trying to defend it so much. It's got a terrible story and several characters' backstories exist only as red herrings while their only real purpose is their :stonk: reaction whenever the MC does something, to proclaim how amazing he is or tell him to stop being so modest about his flawless talents.

Just turn off your brain and watch it for the artstyle and cute girls, if you weren't taking this show so seriously this thread wouldn't be anywhere near page 11.

I genuinely do like the plot and characters.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 13, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

How are people missing the incest theme? :psyduck:
The sister literally said that she wished her brother saw her "as a woman", while she was in her underclothes no less, before murdering him in a jealous rage because he rebuked her advance.

gently caress me now there's a sentence goddamn anime

People aren't missing the theme, there's just nothing to discuss about it really. It's gross poo poo that the author put in to try and get additional views. Discussing the author's messages though is actually somewhat interesting.

quote:

Tucked inside Tatsuya's bosom, Miyuki was blushing furiously. Thankfully, that was difficult to discern in the surrounding darkness — at least that was what Miyuki thought, but Tatsuya had already noticed due to being in contact with her stiff body, while Yakumo had detected this through her erratic breathing.

Oh good the brother is actually aware of it :psyboom:

FakeEdit: seriously, everytime I read like 5 pages I find something I want to quote for this thread these books are awful.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I genuinely do like the plot and characters.

It's ok, I also have poo poo taste in anime. I watch pretty much everything with the romance, harem and/or comedy tags each season and the shows I like most usually have all 3 :v:

e: Seriously, even I think the story is horrible. I'm just hoping that the stuco president gets more screentime

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Namtab posted:

FakeEdit: seriously, everytime I read like 5 pages I find something I want to quote for this thread these books are awful.

Please, go full Let's Read on us.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Dude, stop posting unspoilered spoilers. Now I know they'll hug and stuff.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

darkgray posted:

Dude, stop posting unspoilered spoilers. Now I know they'll hug and stuff.

Calling it now, a few more novels in and they'll probably hold hands.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Honestly, after the CAD calibration scene, we're probably past the hugging and holding hands level.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Honestly, after the CAD calibration scene, we're probably past the hugging and holding hands level.

Is that the "use my first name, sometimes" level? That one requires some serious guts.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

I think your issue is more with the race analogy being an exaggeration than with it being a wrong analogy. Race can just be replaced with family wealth to fix the issues you seem to have with it. People from wealthier families are often legitimately more qualified simply because they had access to a superior education and a more healthy childhood. But a Tatsuya equivalent in the real world would say that this isn't something worth being upset about and that the children of the wealthy still deserve to be more successful. Such a viewpoint is admittedly less bad than someone who believes minorities are inferior or something, but it's still reprehensible.
I'd still call it more of a wrong analogy than an exaggeration, because I think that racial discrimination is wrong in a particular way for particular reasons that are different than wealth issues, not just the same thing only moreso. Family wealth is definitely a better comparison, though. I do tend to separate the "equitably deserve" aspect of success from the "economically justified" aspect of success, so YMMV on how bad the MC's position comes across.

moebius2778 posted:

Well, I'm not sure I'd give a drat in that case. You generally want the best possible people when you're doing something that's never been done before. Bridge building isn't some amazingly hard task that can only be successfully done by the best possible people (which is probably fortunate given the number of bridges in existence).
I dunno, I work a few miles from one of the dodgiest bridges in the country, which is currently undergoing major renovations to make it not a potential deathtrap, so it's probably more prominent in my mind. Bridges also do collapse, and it's catastrophic for the builder/owner when they do, so anything to marginally reduce the probability of that happening gets pretty desirable. And even if they don't collapse, that might have something to do with all the maintenance that's done on them; a better-designed bridge would likely need less maintenance. It's all about those marginal differences that make someone stand out.

quote:

What? I thought those got added to the college admission processes in order to exclude Jews.

I mean, it's entirely possible you're correct, and that they do help identify better applicants, but given their initial discriminatory nature, I'd be a bit suspicious if they just happened to be good at identifying better applicants.
It's quite possible that's how they started, but it's not like Jewish students don't have access to the same activities today. However, since colleges do consider them, they've become fodder for middle/upper-middle class strivers to distinguish themselves even though the activities don't mean much beyond possibly drive and an ability to multitask.

I have seen suggestions that some schools use extracurriculars as a way to cap the number of asians they admit, but nothing actually concrete on that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

I do tend to separate the "equitably deserve" aspect of success from the "economically justified" aspect of success, so YMMV on how bad the MC's position comes across.

What do you mean by "economically justified"? Not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just not sure what you're saying here.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I'm gonna jump in here for some real talk about design.

Paracelsus posted:

I dunno, I work a few miles from one of the dodgiest bridges in the country, which is currently undergoing major renovations to make it not a potential deathtrap, so it's probably more prominent in my mind. Bridges also do collapse, and it's catastrophic for the builder/owner when they do, so anything to marginally reduce the probability of that happening gets pretty desirable. And even if they don't collapse, that might have something to do with all the maintenance that's done on them; a better-designed bridge would likely need less maintenance. It's all about those marginal differences that make someone stand out.
You know, there's a lot more limiting a project than just the designer. Hell, with something as strongly understood as bridges, the designer is the last person I would blame. Usually the actual problem is that the people paying the bill don't want to pay just that little bit more for more security. Hell, it's far more common that the people footing the bill cut a few items from the design. Because I mean, we probably don't have to pay for that many screws, what does the mechanical engineer that designed this thing know?

For serious though, whether it's money, education, or skilled labor, there's not enough resources in the world to optimize everything. Assuming whoever financed your bridge wasn't a major dick, he probably took into account the renovations necessary in the future.

EDIT: Seriously though, keep in mind that you cannot make something last forever and after a point the cost does have diminishing returns. I'm sorry your bridge is poo poo, I don't know the exact circumstances behind, but I guarantee that the situation wouldn't have been improved if every bridge designer was magically twice as good as they are now. Scarcity and resource management is part of working in the real world, and that unfortunately means that sometimes we get lovely products.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 13, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

What do you mean by "economically justified"? Not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just not sure what you're saying here.
On the labor side, the output of various types of labor produces different amounts of value, and the inputs can restrict supply of labor. Both of these drive the price of labor. If you have a scarce supply of people who can do a thing that is desirable, you want to make sure that as many of them fill that role as you can. Since you generally speaking can't do it by force, you need to incentivize it, which leads to a higher price, regardless of the difficulty of the job. As a result, you end up with people who do hard jobs like mining earning a lot less than an big-name actor who gets paid millions to deliver lines with a pretty face; this isn't really "fair" in an equitable sense, because outside of corner cases of Christian Bale in "The Machinist" actors aren't destroying their bodies the way a miner does, a lot of actors are kinda terrible people, and the amount of difference in pay boggles the mind, but at the end of the day there are a lot of people willing to pay money to see an actor deliver that line and a limited number of people good-looking and skilled at acting enough to draw in the crowds, and on the other side a lot more people who are capable of doing mining whose marginal production, while useful, isn't as valued in terms of how much people are willing to pay for the total amount.

The miner isn't going to enjoy as high of a standard of living as the actor, even though the actor's position has a strong genetic-luck-of-the-draw element to it, but nobody is going to pay a miner $10+ million per year and the competition by studios for premium actors makes trying to cap their pay problematic at best and likely impossible. Does the actor deserve that level of wealth relative to the miner? In a moral sense, probably not. In an economic sense? If people are willing to pay for it.

In-show, magic seems to produce a high level of value for society, and the number of magicians is limited, so regardless of whether it's "fair" that access to the ability to enrich one's self through magic depends exclusively on genetics, the economic incentives are to make sure that those who can produce what seems to be free energy do that instead of retreating to the woods to make chainsaw sculptures because they find that enjoyable.

Of course, the show is sort of weird in that it seems the state actually can fill positions that it wants filled by compelling performance in a way that we'd likely view as unthinkable outside of judicial sanctions (and even then specific performance as a remedy for contract breach is highly disfavored), but the state also seems to pay those so compelled a bunch, which it technically doesn't have to because there's no need to incentivize that which is mandatory. But if the state also paid the magicians squat, the show would be about slavery, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. I'm honestly not sure why the author felt he needed to throw conscription in there, unless it was to justify having the MC be a child supersoldier, but that sort of mismatch is part of what makes the show interesting to dissect as a narrative and thematic mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

Today's class activity was football.
The encyclopedia's entry was as follows: This is a sport derived from soccer, with similar rules, that is played on a field surrounded by a large box with numerous tiny holes in it. The only notable differences are that players wear a head protector, and head and hand contact are prohibited. (Also, the competition format where players "compete in a transparent box" was one of the defining characteristics of post-2080 AD athletics.)
Occasionally, this contest was also held with magic involved, but generally magic was ruled out, and today was no exception.
Football was played with a lightweight, highly resilient ball that bounced off the walls and ceiling. The ball rebounded left and right at high speeds, much like a ping pong ball, as players chased after it in order to make the shot against the opposing goal. It was a sport that demanded both incredible agility and considerable strength. In addition, the highly stimulating exercise was a popular sport for "entertainment".
So it's football, except in a box with airholes, and protective gear, and a ping pong ball.

I'm pretty sure in 2080 no matter if magic is real or not sports are probably gonna be the same as sports we have now and not played in dumbass transparent boxes. Your made up sport sounds dumb as gently caress.

• Locked thread