Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I thought Granny Weatherwax preferred using psychology over magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sam. posted:

I thought Granny Weatherwax preferred using psychology over magic.

Both yes and no. She does prefer it, but the brand of psychology she employs is laced through pretty heavily with magic. Sometimes to such a degree that it becomes hard to tell how much of what she does to people is actual magic, how much is her just tricking them, and how much is just them tricking themselves.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I miss Rincewind and the wizards. :(

Sam. posted:

Didn't they also stop the shopping mall from destroying Ankh-Morpork in Reaper Man?
That one was definitely the weirdest of the "modern element intrudes" plots.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

It turned a great book into a pretty good one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've felt that way about a lot of Pratchett endings over the years.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Skippy McPants posted:

More accurate to say that they're very good at not doing magic.

Going Postal actually says that directly.

Going Postal, Chapter 6 posted:

Not doing any magic at all was the chief task of wizards—not “not doing magic” because they couldn’t do magic, but not doing magic when they could do and didn’t. Any ignorant fool can fail to turn someone else into a frog. You have to be clever to refrain from doing it when you knew how easy it was. There were places in the world commemorating those times when wizards hadn’t been quite as clever as that, and on many of them the grass would never grow again.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My Lovely Horse posted:

I miss Rincewind and the wizards. :(

I always skip the shopping mall thing when reading that book. I never really liked those parts.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Stroth posted:

Going Postal actually says that directly.

That always has been one of my favorite discworld quotes, and if you want to know why its true, read sourcery.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kitchner posted:

Mustrum is someone selected to be Archchancellor

I'm pretty sure Ridcully wasn't selected so much as natural-selected to be Archancellor. He stopped the previous series of 'assassinate your superior to progress' by being loving impossible to assasinate, and allowed everyone to realise it was easier ad safer to stay in one place.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm pretty sure Ridcully wasn't selected so much as natural-selected to be Archancellor. He stopped the previous series of 'assassinate your superior to progress' by being loving impossible to assasinate, and allowed everyone to realise it was easier ad safer to stay in one place.

Its mentioned in moving pictures:

quote:

And yet, at the time, it had seemed a really good idea to select an Archchancellor who hadn’t set foot in the University in forty years.

There had been so much in-fighting between the various orders of wizardry in recent years that, just for once, the senior wizards had agreed that what the University needed was a period of stability, so that they could get on with their intriguing and scheming in peace and quiet for a few months. A search of the records turned up Ridcully the Brown who, after becoming a Seventh Level Mage at the incredibly young age of twenty-seven, had quit the University in order to look after the family’s estates deep in the country.

He looked ideal.

“Just the chap,” they all said. “Clean sweep. New broom. A country wizard. Back to the thingumajigs, the roots of wizardry. Jolly old boy with a pipe and twinkly eyes. Sort of chap who can tell one herb from another, roams the high forest with every beast his brother kind of thing. Sleeps under the stars, like as not. Knows what the wind is saying, we shouldn’t wonder. Got a name for all the trees, you can bank on it. Speaks to the birds, too.”

A messenger had been sent. Ridcully the Brown had sighed, cursed a bit, found his staff in the kitchen garden where it had been supporting a scarecrow, and had set out.

“And if he’s any problem,” the wizards had added, in the privacy of their own heads, “anyone who talks to trees should be no trouble to get rid of.”

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh how wrong they were.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ridcully and the stabilizing of The Faculty marks one of those really clear turning points when the books moved from being stories about a bunch of zany, disconnect poo poo happening and on to stories about solid, interesting characters having to put up with a bunch of zany, disconnected poo poo happening to them.

It was a good thing.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Skippy McPants posted:

Ridcully and the stabilizing of The Faculty marks one of those really clear turning points when the books moved from being stories about a bunch of zany, disconnect poo poo happening and on to stories about solid, interesting characters having to put up with a bunch of zany, disconnected poo poo happening to them.

It was a good thing.

I feel like in most of the books after that, it's more of a satire of academia instead of being about magic.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I thought, at the time and, to be fair, now, that Hogfather was the end. I'm not put out it wasn't, Night Watch happened.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sam. posted:

I feel like in most of the books after that, it's more of a satire of academia instead of being about magic.

I think I read somewhere that UU was based on Warwick University, so yes I see that too.

Back to the previous point though, that's why I feel Ridcully and Ponder are different to the "usual" wizard as one is deliberately different and the other is a nerd.

Ridcully has become more like his peers in the later books though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kitchner posted:

I think I read somewhere that UU was based on Warwick University, so yes I see that too.

Back to the previous point though, that's why I feel Ridcully and Ponder are different to the "usual" wizard as one is deliberately different and the other is a nerd.

Ridcully has become more like his peers in the later books though.
I think it could be argued that his peers have become more like him.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Moving Pictures posted:

“And if he’s any problem,” the wizards had added, in the privacy of their own heads, “anyone who talks to trees should be no trouble to get rid of.”

So Ridcully should be as easy to get rid of as George III, the English king who reigned longer than any king who preceded him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patchwork Shaman posted:

So Ridcully should be as easy to get rid of as George III, the English king who reigned longer than any king who preceded him.

Bad example: George III was supplanted in 1811 when he became incapable and there was a nine-year regency. Taking that into account, he was surpassed in length of reign by both Henry III and Edward III.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I like to think that the Wizards thought they were getting David Attenborough.

What they actually got was Brian Blessed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's more or less perfect. Blessed would be the quintessential Ridcully.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretty much.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I like to think that the Wizards thought they were getting David Attenborough.

What they actually got was Brian Blessed.

And there's the perfect actor if the wizards ever appear in the Watch tv series.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Skippy McPants posted:

That's more or less perfect. Blessed would be the quintessential Ridcully.

Brian Blessed is pretty much the perfect everything. That man is amazing. He could play a couch, and it would be the best couch anyone had ever seen. And the couch's beard would be epic.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Iacen posted:

And there's the perfect actor if the wizards ever appear in the Watch tv series.

Assuming they didn't get David Jason to play him and every second role. :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Assuming they didn't get David Jason to play him and every second role. :v:

You say that like it'd be a bad thing.

I always took the wizards v mall sequence to be part of the Windle Poons Is Dead arc. An action sequence is exactly what happens wham Yo ! starts being thrown about. The whole thing is about risk, mortality, and sacrifice. Just like the A plot.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wasn't Brian Blessed Ridcully in the Hogfather movie already?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Justin_Brett posted:

No, it was Joss Ackland.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Justin_Brett posted:

I really enjoy that dumb advert on currently purely because Brian Blessed is in it and his line is "WHAT'S WRONG WITH BIG TOMATOES?!"

There is nothing wrong with them at all, Brian.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I kind of want him to just cuss out Underdog.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I've just read through Men at Arms and I was curious about why Carrot seems to hate the undead. Is it simply because Vimes hates the undead, or did I miss something?
It just seems a bit out of character for someone who thinks that everyone has good in them deep down.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So I've just read through Men at Arms and I was curious about why Carrot seems to hate the undead. Is it simply because Vimes hates the undead, or did I miss something?
It just seems a bit out of character for someone who thinks that everyone has good in them deep down.

It's a Dwarf thing. Comes of their government being based in Überwald. Cheery has the same problem at first.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Note also his initial reaction to finding a werewolf in his bed. He gets over that one pretty quick, but his first instinct was to draw his sword. Dwarves don't like vampires or werewolves and the hosed up situation in Uberwald is why.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 20, 2014

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ok. I just assumed that since he was raised by Copperhead dwarves he wouldn't have the same prejudices against the undead that Uberwald dwarves do.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 20, 2014

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's also worth noting that Carrot can be prone to the same prejudices and misconceptions as anyone else. He just tends to come around on them so quick that you might not notice if you weren't paying close attention. His signature has never been that's he's superhumanly smart or compassionate, but that he learns extraordinarily fast.

Go look at the earlier bits of Guards! Guards! He actually is fairly dim when he first arrives, he just gets over it rul dam quik.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 20, 2014

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

You mean "rul d*m quik", surely? :v:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, Carrot was uncomfortable with the idea of an openly-female dwarf at first.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Skippy McPants posted:

Go look at the earlier bits of Guards! Guards! He actually is fairly dim when he first arrives, he just gets over it rul dam quik.

I wouldn't say he is dim more than just extremely naive, plus he was thrust into a culture completely different from the one he grew up in. Then again, the prophecy mentioned in Guards! Guards! does say "Yea, the king will come bringing Law and Justice, and know nothing but the Truth, and Protect and Serve the People with his Sword."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Silento posted:

Yeah, Carrot was uncomfortable with the idea of an openly-female dwarf at first.

I thought he came off as more confused than anything. Not 'I don't like this', just 'I don't see the point of this'.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Stroth posted:

I thought he came off as more confused than anything. Not 'I don't like this', just 'I don't see the point of this'.

I'm reading through Feet of Clay at the moment and it's definitely confusion he shows rather than shock and disgust the other dwarves show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Konstantin posted:

I wouldn't say he is dim more than just extremely naive, plus he was thrust into a culture completely different from the one he grew up in. Then again, the prophecy mentioned in Guards! Guards! does say "Yea, the king will come bringing Law and Justice, and know nothing but the Truth, and Protect and Serve the People with his Sword."

I think genuine naivety evaporates pretty fast though, but is sort of maintained as a facade.