Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I want a WO4 mostly to give Lu Lingqi and the other 8 XL folks some character development and to have a chance to see Zhang He and Koshosho communicate with each other using only extremely sassy poses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The GIG posted:

I want a WO4 mostly to give Lu Lingqi and the other 8 XL folks some character development and to have a chance to see Zhang He and Koshosho communicate with each other using only extremely sassy poses.

Probably my most favorite feature of WO3 is that it's set up like a gotta-catch-em-all. Every mission gives you at least one new guy. You get everyone on your side, and Kaguya's time travel powers mean causality can go gently caress itself and you can have guys fighting themselves in a team-up with their mortal enemies or even the final boss. And all this unlocks amusing camp conversations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Fun fact: According to The Records of the Grand Historian, trolling your enemies is a legitimate historical Chinese military tactic. The Duke of Pei at one point sends envoys to just make fun of an opposing army for days on end until they decide to try to attack him by passing through a river, at which point he whoops their rear end while they're trying to cross. :eng101:
To say nothing of all the trolling attempts during the novel as well! Anything to lure the opposition into an ambush, especially if they would be holed up in a fortress that one's army couldn't actually blockade (much less assault)...

Sindai posted:

One of the best parts of Three Kingdoms so far was Zhuge Liang literally trolling Zhou Yu to death.
Is this in the novel or the 2010 show? If the latter, the fact that the trolling seemingly continued postmortem explains part of Lu Meng's personal rage-on against Shu (spoilered for being a TK2010-specific detail/subplot)...

Brony Hunter posted:

Sun Quan got a little crazy as he got older.
From some of the anecdotes I previously posted, "a little crazy" is quite the understatement. :colbert:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel like such a dumbass for having to ask this, there's two Saint Seiya PS3 games. The one that came out on the US PSN is like Dynasty Warriors right?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like such a dumbass for having to ask this, there's two Saint Seiya PS3 games. The one that came out on the US PSN is like Dynasty Warriors right?

The one that came out on the US PSN is the one that's a fighting game. You want Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle, which got an English release in Europe. That's the Warriors clone.

It's not that bad either!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems odd to me that man chong isn't a unique officer. He has unique dialog and I see him constantly while playing as Wu

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

And he has a funny name.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kissekatt posted:

And he has a funny name.
I think it's just the "ng". It's a rare and somehow inherently funny sound in English, but extremely common and unremarkable in languages from that area.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I wish Style Names were in the English games. Man Chong had the best one. Boning.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think it's just the "ng". It's a rare and somehow inherently funny sound in English, but extremely common and unremarkable in languages from that area.
I think it's just that when it comes to Man Chong my mind always reads Chong as a portmaneau of Chowder and Dong.

edit: ^^^ Oh that's just just perfect. Man Chowder/Dong Boning

e2: Also I am 14 years old.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Goddamn it, why have they not made a Berserk Warriors yet?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn it, why have they not made a Berserk Warriors yet?

Because Koei doesn't go for all the blood and gore?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maleketh posted:

Because Koei doesn't go for all the blood and gore?

They did the fist of the north star game. Did that not have exploding faces?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

You've got me there. Maybe Berserk just isn't as profitable a property these days? Or maybe it's just that no one's considered it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fauxtool posted:

It had exploding everything and got even more explody for the west. It was pretty great if you equipped the Hokuto Shinken style on Mamiya, fired a hugeass crowssbow shot into a big crowd and watched them all explode in a storm of red paste.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

It had exploding everything and got even more explody for the west. It was pretty great if you equipped the Hokuto Shinken style on Mamiya, fired a hugeass crowssbow shot into a big crowd and watched them all explode in a storm of red paste.

But that would require you to play Mamiya instead of Jagi, who was easily the most entertaining character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maleketh posted:

You've got me there. Maybe Berserk just isn't as profitable a property these days? Or maybe it's just that no one's considered it.

The only anime Warriors games have been based on two incredibly popular and long running series and one classic that basically started an entire genre. I love Berserk but it doesn't really have the same mass market appeal, even in Japan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Maleketh posted:

But that would require you to play Mamiya instead of Jagi, who was easily the most entertaining character.

A fair point! Luckily Jagi had a nice crowd-clearer also.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Maleketh posted:

Entertaining, maybe, but does he have screen-clearing Jesus-lasers? Seems like the battle's already decided. :colbert:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

Entertaining, maybe, but does he have screen-clearing Jesus-lasers? Seems like the battle's already decided. :colbert:

No, but he does have a screen-clearing mini-nuke. :black101:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
At least they seem to be interested in branching out into other series. Although I'm worried that it stretches them thin and draws attention away from DWG. Saint Saiya and Kamen Rider were both wiffs as far as my interests go but there's always hope that they'll pick up something else.

I'll be excited for a new One Piece but we really don't need one until they finish up the current arc and possibly the next one too. The last game was pretty great just for fluffing up the roster but if they could drop in some of the key players from the current arc and maybe refine the gameplay and story a bit then it could be a good game.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
I have never really played a game in this series but it interests me, when the PC release hits (today?) it said it has co-op. How does the co-op function? I love co-op games with my friends but we have been burned on lovely “co-op modes” where we assumed you can play the campaign or something similar and all you get is a bullshit horde mode (gently caress you Binary Domain!). Would there be enough to warrant getting 2 copies for friends or is it a shallow half assed mode?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If it's anything like previous entries there should be drop in co-op in all of the campaigns, though the last mainline DW I played (5 or 6) had one or two solo missions where you couldn't bring in a partner.

Most modes should allow 2 players

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For most fun with co-op, don't go around together but instead work to follow different sets of missions. It's hilarious how quickly you can clean up compared to single-player when you don't have to be the lone effective general.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Will DW8 Steam version have anything in the way of Costume DLC or unlockable?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jim Sterling, a big koei fan himself, has said DW8 PC is broken and to not bother.
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/466204824007364608

quote:

Ah, I can now come out and say DW8 on PC is broken as gently caress. Don't bother.
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/466207396487245824

quote:

I could only play one stage of DW8 PC. It would't load a second.

That's disappointing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jibo posted:

At least they seem to be interested in branching out into other series. Although I'm worried that it stretches them thin and draws attention away from DWG. Saint Saiya and Kamen Rider were both wiffs as far as my interests go but there's always hope that they'll pick up something else.

I'll be excited for a new One Piece but we really don't need one until they finish up the current arc and possibly the next one too. The last game was pretty great just for fluffing up the roster but if they could drop in some of the key players from the current arc and maybe refine the gameplay and story a bit then it could be a good game.

The Kamen Rider one wasn't by the DW team, you know. It was a completely different company experimenting with the DW formula. Bamco, not Koei and Omega Force.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Jim Sterling, a big koei fan himself, has said DW8 PC is broken and to not bother.

That's disappointing.

Ughhh I hate when people do this. Scaring off buyers from something we don't know if it affects everybody or something that can easily be fixed.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mortimer posted:

That's disappointing.

That's poo poo but I figure there'll be a fix within the week. I'm gonna grab it anyway.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RBX posted:

Ughhh I hate when people do this. Scaring off buyers from something we don't know if it affects everybody or something that can easily be fixed.

Ugh I hate when people do this. Release a buggy game and none of the reviewers bother to play more than one level until one actually does and says it's broken

Are you seriously complaining someone is complaining the game is unplayable?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Its one guy on the internet that says it doesn't work, that's like trusting a random anon's opinion.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

RBX posted:

Its one guy on the internet that says it doesn't work, that's like trusting a random anon's opinion.

Okay but if/when the game crashes on you let us know so we can berate help you.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll let you know how it works for me in 1 hour since that's about how long it says it has left to download. If my internet didn't keep dropping randomly.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

PureRok posted:

I'll let you know how it works for me in 1 hour since that's about how long it says it has left to download. If my internet didn't keep dropping randomly.

I'm interested in knowing how well it works too. I tend to be a bit shy with Japanese PC games since the optimization tends to be pretty bad. I'm thinking back to Samurai Warriors 2 on PC, not nearly as fun times as it should have been.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm interested in knowing how well it works too. I tend to be a bit shy with Japanese PC games since the optimization tends to be pretty bad. I'm thinking back to Samurai Warriors 2 on PC, not nearly as fun times as it should have been.

The only problem I had with that was turning on anti-aliasing made everyone (except their weapons) invisible. :v:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Only have to think back a year or two when the Dark Souls 1 PC port happened and was a massive trainwreck.
I really want this but I do not want a direct from console port. :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

PureRok posted:

The only problem I had with that was turning on anti-aliasing made everyone (except their weapons) invisible. :v:

I mean come on, this is a minor issue at most. If you're going to nitpick about things like "every character in the game is invisible" then every PC port would come up lacking.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
About to the start the game. They have an external configuration. Here's what it looks like. I don't know if you can change settings in-game. E: you can.

E: 360 controls are weird. B is accept, and you can't change it if you want to keep Musou attack on B, since they're tied together. I don't know why they didn't tie accept to Jump instead, then I could keep it on the A button like it should be. No 360 symbols, either. All weird keyboard symbols with lightning bolts and poo poo on them. So, like every previous release.

Going to start a story.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 13, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Accepting in DW8 is going to be weird then, I keep musou tied to Y/Triangle :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

PureRok posted:

B is accept, and you can't change it if you want to keep Musou attack on B, since they're tied together. I don't know why they didn't tie accept to Jump instead, then I could keep it on the A button like it should be.
I don't know if the Japanese 360 does this too, but that's where "Button 1" is on controllers for Japanese systems (A for Nintendo, Circle for Sony), so it makes sense to them.