Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Xenoveritas posted:

The gently caress kind of resolution is 1920x1147? Wait, don't tell me, it's 1920x1200 with 53 pixels taken up by the task bar.

In any case, the answer is almost certainly "yes, you should be playing at the same resolution," especially if this is related to Final Fantasy XIV and you intend for any of the HUD elements to be readable. Otherwise you're going to be forced to either stretch or shrink one of the videos and text is going to become blurry in either case. You should try and pick one of the standard HD resolutions, either 1280x720 or 1920x1080, and play and record at that resolution.

I have no idea about 1920x1147, that's just what resolution I was given when I asked. As playing at 1440x900 is full screen for me (and my monitor doesn't support anything higher), it looks like we'll be going with 1280x720 for recordings.

Xenoveritas posted:

Define "can't seem to hear" - what happens when you try and record? Nothing, or you record silence? Is the recording just very quiet?

Make sure the correct audio device is selected in the recording dropdown and that it's set to mono. Make sure that the microphone gain is set to a reasonable level. (How you do that depends on the OS, in Windows 7/8, it's Recording Devices, Properties (on the specific device), Levels.)

If you're using Skype, make sure Skype isn't set to alter the microphone gain level. (In Skype: Tools, Options, General, Audio settings, uncheck "Automatically adjust microphone settings.")

It seems to be that I'm recording silence in Audacity. Just a straight line with no audio noticeable at all, while it still picked up my microphone just fine every time I tried. For the test I was running, I was trying to record what my headset was hearing, but did try a few times to check if it could hear the speakers instead for some insane reason. Both of them gave me the same result of a dead audio line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Quick question since search is broken on this wonderful website and the Google results were weird. What's the best way to record footage from the Dolphin Emulator?

Shadowplay doesn't work with it, Fraps is generally terrible, OBS has weird resolution and framing issues, and I can't point my camera at the screen and play videogames at the same time.

If I pay someone to point the camera at the screen for me that might work, but I'd rather save some money.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Use a real Wii. Or use FRAPS. One or the other should work.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you have a capture device that uses HDMI input, you can always wire your PC through that.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I have some video stored on my external hard drive. Do I need to do anything to get my avisynth script to work? This is the line I'm trying:

video1 = AVCSource("F:\Lets Play\Video\Xenoblade 1.dga")

Pathway is definitely right.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
My guess would be that you want AVISource instead of AVCSource.

EDIT: Wait, dga? Is that an emulator keypress file?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's an index file. Presumably, you indexed the file before moving it to your external HDD, and the index file still has the full path to the old video location. Either re-index or open up the index file in Notepad++ or something and edit the path.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's an index file. Presumably, you indexed the file before moving it to your external HDD, and the index file still has the full path to the old video location. Either re-index or open up the index file in Notepad++ or something and edit the path.

Oh god thank you. I did this before as well, can't believe I forgot.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sony Vegas is loving up for me with a single input file I have. It crashes when trying to load the audio peaks.
I get around this by cancelling the audio peaks then turning them off in view. However it will then randomly crash when working in the project with this file. I managed to get everything edited but it's a race against time to render this thing before it crashes.

How can I get this done? Split the audio and video for this and bring them in separately?

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

PAMaster posted:

Hey guys. I'm currently using Movie Studio Platinum for my editing, but as of a couple days ago whenever I click on one of my recorded files in the explorer the entire program hangs until I force it to close.

My recorded files are in .AVI format recorded with Bandicam, and I didn't have problems with them previously. Thoughts?

Update on this issue. I reinstalled Movie Studio Platinum and cleared all nonstandard preferences for it, but any time I click on a file in the Movie Studio Platinum Explorer or try to import a file, it hangs and crashes still. And when I say "crashes", I mean it won't do anything else from that point forward.

Notes:
  • Video that is already edited in Sony Vegas and saved as a .vf file is still accessible through loading the .vf file and playing it that way. It's only when accessing media in the Explorer that the program freezes.
  • Audio files are fine, and can be accessed easily.
  • Even if a .vf file can be accessed, it still has the same issue with Vegas importing new files.
  • It is not when I try to drag a file into the editing pane that there are issues, it's the moment I click on a file in the explorer that the program freezes up. Only video files, audio files seem to not have the same issue.

Important edit:
So I just tried to use Quicktime to open up one of these video files, since Movie Studio Platinum requires Quicktime as a component. And Quicktime informed me that it needs a different plugin in order to use these video files.
It's possible that it's a quicktime issue that's causing this, but I'll update when I know more.

Edit 2:
Looks like it may be a codec issue? I'm recording video in MPEG-1, and after updating DivX I can play the files in Quicktime but they come out as audio-only. This is fairly irritating.

Edit 3:
It seems like this is exclusively an issue with Quicktime and Movie Studio. Considering ditching the both of them. Probably will.

MOST IMPORTANT EDIT:
The only files that are having issues are MPEG-1 files recorded from Bandicam. MP4 files are fine. Likely a codec issue, but I can't find the right codec. Continuing my search.

PAMaster fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 12, 2014

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Gildiss posted:

Sony Vegas is loving up for me with a single input file I have. It crashes when trying to load the audio peaks.
I get around this by cancelling the audio peaks then turning them off in view. However it will then randomly crash when working in the project with this file. I managed to get everything edited but it's a race against time to render this thing before it crashes.

How can I get this done? Split the audio and video for this and bring them in separately?

Sony Vegas just randomly crashes whenever the hell it wants.

But yeah I think exporting the audio to a Wav or MP3 and importing that instead would be worth a shot.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mico posted:

Sony Vegas just randomly crashes whenever the hell it wants.

But yeah I think exporting the audio to a Wav or MP3 and importing that instead would be worth a shot.

Yeah, that did it. I put the file into audacity and exported the audio. It finished just fine.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This is a bit of a long shot, but I'm gonna cross-post my emulator woes from my Shining Force 3 thread:

quote:

My emulator (SSF 12 beta R3) crashes when a certain enemy tries to move. Changing to the Japanese disc and switching to an older version of the emulator doesn't do anything.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't know any other emulators to try out. Alternatively, I can upload the saves for somebody else to try out.

I'm really not sure what the error is. I've gotten several errors like this before, but switching to an unpatched version of the disc fixed things. Now, when a specific enemy in a specific fight (Scenario 2, chapter 2, second fight) tries to move, SSF spits this at me:

gently caress me if I know what it means! The weird thing is, I've beaten this game before without getting an error like this at this point in the game. Anyone have any ideas beyond fishing for other janky rear end Saturn emulators?

EDIT: Problem solved, all I had to do was turn down the difficulty. :shepface:

inthesto fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 13, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Something about that one enemy's turn is for some reason bugging out and sending a dud instruction to the primary CPU in the Saturn. It might be an emulation issue that you didn't get before, or an obscure bug that happens on real hardware.

I'd give it a shot on Yabuse, but there is an issue with it being a Saturn game in that Saturn emulations are pretty scarce - especially ones that work. That hardware is an absolute cow.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
I'm trying to figure out something on here and my question pertains to how to use MeGUI. The MeGUI guide says that I need an AVIsynth script and the AVIsynth guide says that I need to work with .avi files. The problem is that when I extract the video from the M2TS container that my HD-PVR gives me MeGUI only offers me the H264 option and MKV option. How do I create the avi file I need to be able to use MeGUI and AVIsynth?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I believe you want an .avs, not .avi

.avs is Avisynth script, that's what you work with (and MeGUI reads those without an issue)

what I do is launch MeGUI, go to File Indexer, index the mp4 I want to work in (my capture output is always h264/mp4) and it generates an .avs for me as part of the indexing. Two actually - one for audio, one for video. I go from there. Your workflow may be different.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

The problem is that the AviSynth Basics guide linked in the OP states that you need .avi files to create a script. That is where I'm confused. If I don't need to mess with AviSynth itself right now then great.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't think it says you need an AVI file, I know it uses AviSource("file.avi") as an example, but that is not the only way you can call a file into an AviSynth script.

as an example, my scripts all start something like this (this is from memory so the syntax might be wrong)

LoadPlugin("c:\path\ffms2.dll")
a=ffaudiosource("audio_track.mp4")
v=ffvideosource("video.mp4")
audiodub(v,a)

then I go on to do my trims and this and that.

The key point is, regardless of what errors I just wrote, you do not need an AVI file to work in Avisynth. Like I said, my workflow starts and ends in H264/mp4 the entire way and I use avisynth just fine.

e: ok upon reviewing that guide it's a little out of date when discussing importing your raw files into the script, but rest assured you can use avisynth with what you've got. You don't need anything in the AVI container. That one first section should just get rewritten - the rest of it seems up to date (trims, dissolves, etc)

so yeah I was a little confused on what you were asking but I think I've figured it out. You don't have to convert anything to AVI, you can still use Avisynth, someone who knows more than me will probably be along to tell you exactly what to put in your avs script.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 13, 2014

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, see the problem I'm running into now is that I did what you did by creating an H264/mp4 file by using the HD stream extractor in MeGUI and then using that mp4 file in the File Indexer function to create the AVS script and that AVS script isn't bringing the video into play.

Here are my MeGUI settings so far:

Edit: I'm wondering if somebody could walk me through getting everything set up with MeGUI and AVISynth at some point. If someone could just Skype chat with me and help me out then that would be wonderful. Until then, I'm just going to use the "How to Prevent Sony Vegas from Destroying Your Video" guide in the OP. MeGUI and AviSynth are just confusing the hell out of me.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 14, 2014

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

So, um, does anyone know why FRAPS stops recording on its own during loading screens? I've tried twice to do test recordings of trying out dungeons but it simply keeps breaking at the point of loading in while the screen goes mostly-black.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Quick question for Dxtory users: Does it pick up different games than FRAPS? Like, FRAPS only picks up direct3d/directX. Is Dxtory different?

Shoopuf posted:

So, um, does anyone know why FRAPS stops recording on its own during loading screens? I've tried twice to do test recordings of trying out dungeons but it simply keeps breaking at the point of loading in while the screen goes mostly-black.
Never had that happen myself. But maybe it could be related to what I said about FRAPS above?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Hi there, got a Kega Fusion problem here for you guys.

Me and a friend were recording ourselves LPing a game over Netplay, using Kega Fusion 3.64's inbuilt recorder. We played for an hour and the recording...came out at 334 bytes.

Like...nothing, practically corrupt, didn't record at all, bullshit. Yet the recorder worked fine with short videos for like I dunno, 10 minutes, 15, but for an hour long it just decided NOT to tell us it crapped itself until after an hour's worth of play.

So here's my questions. 1. What the hell? And 2. Does Kega Fusion actually have a limit in how long it records something?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

FinalGamer posted:

Kega Fusion

Use Fraps.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shoopuf posted:

Does the game use a different resolution for loading screens? FRAPS can't really handle resolution changes IIRC.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Tin Tim posted:

Quick question for Dxtory users: Does it pick up different games than FRAPS? Like, FRAPS only picks up direct3d/directX. Is Dxtory different?

Never had that happen myself. But maybe it could be related to what I said about FRAPS above?

FRAPS picks up more games than DxTory because Fraps can do OpenGL too and DxTory can't.

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

:commissar:
I need a bit of advice in regards to getting sound to play while I record.

I have a bit of an odd setup to get sound to run for my PS3, I have two monitors, one with just HDMI and DVI plugs and no speakers or speaker jacks, and the other has everything but HDMI. My current run-around is to plug the HDMI from the PS3 to the first monitor, and then run composite (just the audio) cables from the PS3 to my second monitor and have the audio come from there.

That all works fine, but now I just bought AverMedia Game Capture HD II and to record PS3 it requires you plug in composite from the PS3 to the Game Capture, then run HDMI from the capture to the monitor. When I record, video and audio work just fine in the recording itself, but when I am playing during the recording I don't have any sound (I get that).

What are my options here? Get a new audio devise that runs HDMI? Can I still record sound on the game capture (composite) while also playing off HDMI on PS3 (if I get a new audio devise). Is there some cheap cable converter I can buy to fix this? I do have a set of old speakers with just a basic green speaker jack, any way to use those?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Flagrama posted:

Does the game use a different resolution for loading screens? FRAPS can't really handle resolution changes IIRC.

Weirdest loving thing: I tried recording again while keeping the FPS overlay up this time, and it didn't mess up at all for forty minutes. For the game I'm playing, the loading screens all seem to be the same resolution when they show any at all.

EDIT: New question, actually. I'm using Avisynth and I could swear I saw directions in some guide or another about what arguments would overlay pieces of audio over pieces of video (such as over a sped-up section), but I can't find it again for the life of me. Did I make it up?

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 15, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Flagrama posted:

It can, but with every resolution change, fraps begins recording a new video file.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mico posted:

FRAPS picks up more games than DxTory because Fraps can do OpenGL too and DxTory can't.
Thanks! I was thinking about buying it as an alternative but nope.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Shoopuf posted:

EDIT: New question, actually. I'm using Avisynth and I could swear I saw directions in some guide or another about what arguments would overlay pieces of audio over pieces of video (such as over a sped-up section), but I can't find it again for the life of me. Did I make it up?
Do you mean simple things like AudioDub (completely replace the audio of a clip with the audio from a different one) or MixAudio (mix audio between two clips)?

Or something a bit more complicated, where you take a subsection of the clip and only mix audio in there? That just involves trimming out the section and then using AudioDub or MixAudio and adding it back in, like:

code:
video = AviSource("whatever.avi")
# Replace audio for only frames 1001-2000:
video_1 = video.Trim(0, 1000)
video_2 = video.Trim(1001, 2000)
video_3 = video.Trim(2001, 0)

audio = WavSource("yakety_sax.wav")

# Note: audio must match video's audio. If it doesn't, you may need to:
audio = audio.SSRC(video.AudioRate())
audio = audio.ConvertAudioToFloat()
# Or maybe ConvertAudioTo32Bit() or 16Bit, there's no way to easily
# check and use the correct version

video_2 = video_2.AudioDub(audio)

video = video_1 ++ video_2 ++ video_3

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

Do you mean simple things like AudioDub (completely replace the audio of a clip with the audio from a different one) or MixAudio (mix audio between two clips)?

Or something a bit more complicated, where you take a subsection of the clip and only mix audio in there? That just involves trimming out the section and then using AudioDub or MixAudio and adding it back in, like:

Something more complicated like that, yes. My current .avs looks like this (without the linebreak so I don't scroll the page):

code:
AviSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\FFXIV Sastasha Test (1440x900, 5-14).avi")
v1 = AviSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\FFXIV Sastasha Test (1440x900, 5-14).avi")
Trim(v1, 2355, 3114) ++ ChangeSpeed(Trim(3115, 23886), 9) ++ Trim(23887, 26904) ++ Changespeed(Trim(26905, 29415), 9) ++ Trim(29416, 32462) 
++ Changespeed(Trim(32463, 53627), 9) ++ Trim(53628, 57812) ++ Changespeed(Trim(57813, 63972), 9) ++ Trim(63973, 69892) ++ FadeOut(Trim(69893,70141), 100)

Function ChangeSpeed(clip c, float factor) 
{
    return c.TimeStretch(tempo=100 * factor).AssumeFPS(c.FrameRate * factor) \
        .ChangeFPS(c.FrameRate)
}
ConvertToYV12()
Would something like this work to play normal-speed audio over the Changespeed() sections?

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 15, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yes. You can AudioDub over the ChangeSpeed portions to replace the audio with whatever you like.

The use of ++ instead of + is important in this case to ensure that it trims the audio to the clips where you're replacing the audio.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by "normal-speed audio", do you want the original audio to play over the sped-up sections for as long as possible?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

Yes. You can AudioDub over the ChangeSpeed portions to replace the audio with whatever you like.

The use of ++ instead of + is important in this case to ensure that it trims the audio to the clips where you're replacing the audio.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by "normal-speed audio", do you want the original audio to play over the sped-up sections for as long as possible?

I just don't want to audio to speed up along with the video. If using this won't work like that, then I think this will work our great! Will the audio keep its place between Changespeed portions? Can I do anything to make the audio clips fade into each other?

Edit: All right, just to try it out, I went and did something long and complicated to fix each error as it showed up (most common was that I couldn't v.Changespeed() as its own thing). Now it just plays the entire video without any edits at all. What did I not understand?
code:
v = AviSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\FFXIV Sastasha Test (1440x900, 5-14).avi")
v1 = v.Trim(2355, 3114)
v2 = v.Trim(3115, 23886) ++ ChangeSpeed(Trim(3115, 23886), 9)
v3 = v.Trim(23887, 26904)
v4 = v.Trim(26905, 29415) ++ Changespeed(Trim(26905, 29415), 9)
v5 = v.Trim(29416, 32462)
v6 = v.Trim(32463, 53627) ++ Changespeed(Trim(32463, 53627), 9)
v7 = v.Trim(53628, 57812)
v8 = v.Trim(57813, 63972) ++ Changespeed(Trim(57813, 63972), 9)
v9 = v.Trim(63973, 69892) ++ FadeOut(Trim(69893,70200), 100)
aud = WavSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\Born To Be Bone.wav")
aud = aud.SSRC(v.AudioRate())
aud = aud.ConvertAudioToFloat()

v2 = v2.AudioDub(aud)
v4 = v4.AudioDub(aud)
v6 = v6.AudioDub(aud)
v8 = v8.AudioDub(aud)

v = v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9

{
        .ChangeFPS(c.FrameRate)
}
ConvertToYV12()
Edit, again: Just did a few trial recording runs with my would-be partner in crime, but FRAPS continues to crash only a few minutes into recordings despite her having the superior computer and the same FRAPS settings. Now, we see that FRAPS doesn't play nice with Windows 8, but we aren't trying to record the desktop at all. Is there any way to diagnose why it keeps freezing up, or are there any fixes for this?

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 16, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think your script scared off everyone else. Here, ask if anything is unclear.

code:
AviSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\FFXIV Sastasha Test (1440x900, 5-14).avi") # <- This loads the AVI file into the invisible "last" variable
v = AviSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\FFXIV Sastasha Test (1440x900, 5-14).avi") # <- This loads the same AVI file into the "v" variable
# Don't load the same file twice like this, it's unnecessary and wastes resources, and in your case leads to unrecognized scripting errors.
v1 = v.Trim(2355, 3114) # <- Trims "v" into a smaller section, stores the result in "v1"
v2 = v.Trim(3115, 23886) ++ ChangeSpeed(Trim(3115, 23886), 9) # <- Here is a big error. 
#    ^ Trims "v" into a smaller section
#                                       ^ Trims "last" into a smaller section
#                           ^ Takes the result from the trim on "last" and changes its speed
#                        ^ Combines the Trim on "v" and the speedchanged trim on "last" into a single clip
#^ And stores the result in "v2"
# The result is a clip that first plays the 3115-23886 part from "v" at normal speed, and then the same part from "last" at 9x speed. Clearly not what you wanted.
# You probably wanted something like: v2 = v.Trim(3115, 23886).ChangeSpeed(9)
v3 = v.Trim(23887, 26904) # This stuff is repeated several times with different trims
v4 = v.Trim(26905, 29415) ++ Changespeed(Trim(26905, 29415), 9)
v5 = v.Trim(29416, 32462)
v6 = v.Trim(32463, 53627) ++ Changespeed(Trim(32463, 53627), 9)
v7 = v.Trim(53628, 57812)
v8 = v.Trim(57813, 63972) ++ Changespeed(Trim(57813, 63972), 9)
v9 = v.Trim(63973, 69892) ++ FadeOut(Trim(69893,70200), 100)
# Here the trimmed section makes sense at lest, but you're still trimming on the "last" clip that probably shouldn't exist in the first place.
aud = WavSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\Born To Be Bone.wav") # Loads a WAV into "aud".
aud = aud.SSRC(v.AudioRate()) # And perform a few operations on it
aud = aud.ConvertAudioToFloat() # though I'm not sure what the point if this one is, but it should work

v2 = v2.AudioDub(aud) # Replace the audio of the intended speedup clips with the WAV file
v4 = v4.AudioDub(aud)
v6 = v6.AudioDub(aud)
v8 = v8.AudioDub(aud)

v = v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9 # combine all videos into a single clip, store it in "v"
# Note that you never do anything with "v" again after this!

{
        .ChangeFPS(c.FrameRate)
}
ConvertToYV12() # Converts the video in "last" -- currently the input AVI file -- to YV12 and stores in "last"
# No explicit return statement anywhere, so Avisynth returns "last". Which in your case is the input video in YV12.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Here, again, is my go-to format for all of my video editing. Do it in this style, and you should rarely, if ever, get confused.

code:
#Start with a function that converts the clip to the format I want, copyable from script to script in an LP
function SizeUp(clip c)
{
  temp = c.PointResize(640, 400) # Double size of 320x200 video if necessary
  temp = temp.LanczosResize(640, 480) # Some DOSBox games require these resizes
  return temp.ChangeFPS(70) # Common rate change for DOSBox-sourced videos
}

rawclip = AviSource("path/to/clip.avi") # Load the initial clip as it exists on the hard drive.
                                        # Could be AVCSource, DirectShowSource, FFVideoSource, AudioDub, whatever
rawclip = SizeUp(rawclip) # Pass every input video through the appropriate input function

#return rawclip # Uncomment for editing purposes, comment out to get the final video

mainclip = rawclip.Trim(0, 1000) # First segment of the video
mainclip = mainclip ++ rawclip.Trim(1001, 2000).ChangeSpeed(2) # Second segment, sped up
mainclip = mainclip ++ rawclip.Trim(3000, 4000) # Skipping a segment
mainclip = mainclip.Dissolve(rawclip.Trim(5000, 6000), 50) # Fancy transition
mainclip = mainclip ++ rawclip.Trim(6001, 7000) # NOTE THAT I'M USING RAWCLIP FOR ALL TRIMS
mainclip = mainclip ++ rawclip.Trim(7001, 8000).ChangeSpeed(4) # GET ALL FRAME NUMBERS FROM THE RAW CLIP

# Now I have all the segments I want in my main clip

mainclip = mainclip.ChangeFPS(30) # Change framerate for export

# Comment out the following two lines to export a WAV track to import into Audacity, then uncomment when you
# have the final mixed sound clip with game audio and your commentary
audioclip = WavSource("path/to/audio/from/audacity.wav")

mainclip = AudioDub(mainclip, audioclip) # Dub approprately

return mainclip.ConvertToYV12 # Will only convert if needed
That's the basic format that I copy from script to script. I add functions to do fancy things if I need them and occasionally perform additional edits to mainclip right before the ChangeFPS if there's stuff I find after exporting that's easier to change by not going back to the raw video (mainly stuff like subtitles - remember to export mainclip before trying to edit it further!), but this is a pretty simple method you can use for all your editing. It's easy to add or remove segments by adding or removing lines, and if you don't like where a particular clip starts or ends, you can change the frame number easily without throwing off all of your future edits.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Thanks a bunch, guys. I actually ended up getting access to Premiere Elements 12 when I least expected it and worked everything out in that program instead, but at this point I'm determined to figure out what the heck is up with AviSynth in case of any future issues that might come up. It seems my biggest issue was not understanding all of the arguments I was entering. Am I correct in understanding that removing
code:
          and...
v2 = v.Trim(3115, 23886) ++ ChangeSpeed(Trim(3115, 23886), 9)
          (replacing with v2 = v.Trim(3115, 23886).ChangeSpeed(9))
would theoretically fix what was going wrong? Or did I miss a step anywhere?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Close but not quite. Your final lines of the script are:

code:
ConvertToYV12()
Or, to be more explicit:

code:
last = last.ConvertToYV12()
return last
Which won't do. Change it so that either last gets assigned the video now in v, or return v. Any of the following work.

code:
v = v.ConvertToYV12()
return v
code:
v.ConvertToYV12()
code:
v
ConvertToYV12()
code:
v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9
ConvertToYV12()

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Close but not quite. Your final lines of the script are:

code:
ConvertToYV12()
Or, to be more explicit:

code:
last = last.ConvertToYV12()
return last

Which is a prime example of the "last" variable is the dumbest concept that the AviSynth guys ever came up with.

Clearly v = v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9 should evaluate to v and then the next line should be working on it, but no, that's not how AviSynth works. Someone should force whoever designed AviSynth's syntax to use LISP until they are enlightened.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Xenoveritas posted:

designed AviSynth's syntax

lol, you think this happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
So I accidentally included my guests audio in a video recording, and that's not really going to work sense there is a volume difference that makes it hard to hear their voice. I have the guests audio as on a different file as well, is there a way to remove the voice from the video recording?