Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Hedrigall posted:

What the gently caress did you think a "manbro vile" was Shindragon?

It was typo. I noticed it soon, but I was like eh gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This is still such a great joke and its funnier when doing a rewatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aqvIU1dkD8

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Somebody on reddit noticed that apparently this guy followed his professor into villainy:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Somebody on reddit noticed that apparently this guy followed his professor into villainy:

They mentioned on one of the commentary tracks that they don't have the manpower to generate enough background characters. They suggested that instead of fanart, people should send them original characters they can fill scenes with.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahah yeah they even point it out in the episode where Rusty goes underground. Hell they say hey can you guys point out how many background characters we reuse?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Never really thought about it before, but hitting the water like that...Major Tom should have been a cloud of bone powder really.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bobkatt013 posted:

Despite all of the fantastic episodes that have come out since, that episode is still my favorite. It's a fantastic stand alone episode, but also introduces the pirate captain, Action Man and Kano. Plus it's probably the best Johnny Quest parody of all of the episodes as well.

Edit:
Holy poo poo, I had pretty much the exact same exchange almost a year ago to the day.:

quote:

AFewBricksShy posted:

Despite all the episodes that have come since, that one is still my favorite. It's perfect in every way.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 13, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AFewBricksShy posted:

Despite all of the fantastic episodes that have come out since, that episode is still my favorite. It's a fantastic stand alone episode, but also introduces the pirate captain, Action Man and Kano. Plus it's probably the best Johnny Quest parody of all of the episodes as well.

It also includes one of my favorite scenes of Brockian destruction, starting when he grabs the guy's hand with his rear end, and ending when you see the top of his head as he swims away from the burning pirate ship. :black101:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Brock beating a man to death using another man as a club, held with his rear end is the greatest single moment of the entire series.

"Told ya what i'd do for one of these."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That episode was the first I ever saw and instantly made me a venture bros fan.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The moment when the pirate captain sees a real ghost and just stammers "wow no way!" is the exact moment I knew I loved this show.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

"no matter how you cook it, still tastes like hot sargassum"

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

notZaar posted:

The moment when the pirate captain sees a real ghost and just stammers "wow no way!" is the exact moment I knew I loved this show.

I love the moment when Brock shows up, beats the living poo poo out of the real ghost. The Pirate Captain just stands there and says "Well... I coulda done that!"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
For some reason, I still frequently say "You live by the ghost, you die by the ghost." and "You didn't play by the rules! The GHOST PIRATE rules!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BooDoug187 posted:

I love the moment when Brock shows up, beats the living poo poo out of the real ghost. The Pirate Captain just stands there and says "Well... I coulda done that!"

And then SNATCH CHORD CRASH SMASH CUT CREDITS

Lots of shows were doing great things in that era with the "super-fast-paced twist in the last 2-3 seconds before cutting to credits" thing, but that VB ending put them all to shame.

Except maybe the Broodwich.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Silhouette posted:

Brock beating a man to death using another man as a club, held with his rear end is the greatest single moment of the entire series.

"Told ya what i'd do for one of these."

"What if he's lying?"
"And if he's telling the truth that would be better?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PostNouveau posted:

They mentioned on one of the commentary tracks that they don't have the manpower to generate enough background characters. They suggested that instead of fanart, people should send them original characters they can fill scenes with.

Jesus you'd think Adult Swim could maybe spend a dollar

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Jesus you'd think Adult Swim could maybe spend a dollar

You gotta remember they basically spent their entire original season 2 budget on the intro song royalties for the opening 2 minutes of the season.

This show is literally doc and jackson, the cheapest korean animation studio, and a handful of part time voice actors.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Mr. Nice! posted:

You gotta remember they basically spent their entire original season 2 budget on the intro song royalties for the opening 2 minutes of the season.

This show is literally doc and jackson, the cheapest korean animation studio, and a handful of part time voice actors.

And by handful of part time voice actors you mean doc and jackson.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Patrick Warburton probably doesn't come cheap.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It really is too bad that they can't just pull a guy off the street to voice someone.

Look at how iconic Mr Ford is and he's literally a Random Old Man. I think.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Are you a bad enough dude to be willing to go to wherever they record the voices and voice a character in exchange for print run samples of Venture Bros tshirts?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Install Windows posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to be willing to go to wherever they record the voices and voice a character in exchange for print run samples of Venture Bros tshirts?

Uhhh...yes?

I mean, I guess they'd have to pay for the plane ticket. Otherwise, I can just record it from home.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Uhhh...yes?

I mean, I guess they'd have to pay for the plane ticket. Otherwise, I can just record it from home.

They can't afford to pay for your plane ticket. You'd pretty much just have to get wherever it is yourself and hope they have something they can sign for you to hoard at home.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I think they've said they record Warburton and Urbaniak over the phone because they live in LA?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I think they've said they record Warburton and Urbaniak over the phone because they live in LA?

Yeah but they're not using a normal phone for that, they've got access to high quality mics and recording software.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sash! posted:

It really is too bad that they can't just pull a guy off the street to voice someone.

Look at how iconic Mr Ford is and he's literally a Random Old Man. I think.

He's a random old man that thought the house the were using to make Frisky Dingo was a drug house and come knocking to complain.

Mr Ford owns.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Patrick Warburton probably doesn't come cheap.

They used to have Stephen Colbert too before he got hugely popular.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

notZaar posted:

They used to have Stephen Colbert too before he got hugely popular.

Yeah, and his people were real snotty assholes when the Venture Bros team tried to contact him about coming back for the next season.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, and his people were real snotty assholes when the Venture Bros team tried to contact him about coming back for the next season.

Didn't he actually want to go back and do it, but his people were dicks and never told him he'd been asked?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't he actually want to go back and do it, but his people were dicks and never told him he'd been asked?

Yes, and by the time he found out he was too busy with other stuff to be able to participate.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pope Guilty posted:

I only know what I know from this post in Jackson Publick's blog way back:

http://jacksonpublick.livejournal.com/19560.html

It wouldn't surprise me if his people never asked him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Lobe posted:

I only know what I know from this post in Jackson Publick's blog way back:

http://jacksonpublick.livejournal.com/19560.html

It wouldn't surprise me if his people never asked him.

"Stephen has neither the time nor the interest in participating in your project."

Haha, that is super bitchy. They even downgrade the TV show that Colbert had a recurring character on for 2 seasons to a "project".

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
You can do voiceacting work over skype with a really good headset and a small soundproof room. maybe they could try that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He's a random old man that thought the house the were using to make Frisky Dingo was a drug house and come knocking to complain.

Mr Ford owns.
Wait, seriously? I never heard that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In all seriousness if you could show you had a suitable recoding setup and way to get in contact with Doc and Jackson, they would seriously probably let you voice some background character I'd bet.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wait, seriously? I never heard that.

Yeah it's from here: http://www.avclub.com/article/adam-reed-walks-us-through-iarcheris-third-season--72985

quote:

When we were making Frisky Dingo, we made it out of this tiny brick house in a neighborhood in East Atlanta, and he was our neighbor. We moved in, nobody was living there, it was just computers, and we would all show up at 9 o’clock in the morning, eight white guys. We’d park in the driveway, in the yard, go in there, close the door all day, and all leave at 6 o’clock. And he was head of the neighborhood watch, so after about two weeks of this, somebody was pounding on the door, which was like this iron grate, and he was like, “What the hell is going on in here? Are you all cooking meth?” And we’re like, “Oh, no. No sir! Please come in; we make cartoons.” And he said, “What in the hell is this?” He wasn’t super-stoked on us illegally running a business out of the house across the street, so we asked if he’d like to be in an episode, and he became, basically, the Pam of Frisky Dingo, that everyone wanted to see more of.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

“What the hell is going on in here? Are you all cooking meth?” in Mr Ford's voice sounds less an inquiry about criminal activities and more asking if he can buy some.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Install Windows posted:

Yeah but they're not using a normal phone for that, they've got access to high quality mics and recording software.

Yeah, I think I remember listening to a podcast that Warburton was on and he mentioned he has a recording studio in his basement because he does so much voiceover work, it made it REALLY worth it to not have to drive around to a dozen different recording studios.

So, yeah, "over the phone" means a high-speed (ADSL? Actually, probably VOIP) voice line, and in a recording studio with good mics, sound-canceling walls, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, I think I remember listening to a podcast that Warburton was on and he mentioned he has a recording studio in his basement because he does so much voiceover work, it made it REALLY worth it to not have to drive around to a dozen different recording studios.

So, yeah, "over the phone" means a high-speed (ADSL? Actually, probably VOIP) voice line, and in a recording studio with good mics, sound-canceling walls, etc...

That is goddamn fascinating.

The nice thing for Warburton is, is that it probably makes it easier for people to consider him, and end up hiring him out of sheer convenience.

Good for him.