Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Grand Fromage posted:

I added spoilers to your thread title I hope you enjoy it

Thanks, big cheese. It pretty much is the answer to drat near every question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'm new to fountain pens and want to know what I should g-- pilot metro

my pen broke after I put it up my butt, what repl-- pilot metro

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If I had known about this thread before I bought my Cross Aventura I might have a Pilot Metro, but instead I now have a TWSBI 580 EF, two Esterbrook CX-100s, and an Esterbrook LJ.

I like pens.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kessel posted:

my pen broke after I put it up my butt, what repl-- pilot metro

Don't kink shame, that is a perfectly legitimate use for an object the size of a butt plug :shrek:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

blowfish posted:

Don't kink shame, that is a perfectly legitimate use for an object the size of a butt plug :shrek:

The nib is stainless steel so it's kinda like a surgical tool too!

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Is Extra-Fine for Fountain Pens just... not as fine as it is for rollerballs? I just LOVE the 0.5 Ultra Micro Signo 207s. Just curious if I have to just adapt or get different nib(s).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Finagle posted:

Is Extra-Fine for Fountain Pens just... not as fine as it is for rollerballs? I just LOVE the 0.5 Ultra Micro Signo 207s. Just curious if I have to just adapt or get different nib(s).

The answer is to get a Pilot with an EF nib :v: (sadly the Metro doesn't come in that size yet).

You want to use an ink that doesn't feather, and decent paper. Cheap photocopier paper will always suck up ink and make a line broader than the nib normally would produce. In addition, western EFs just aren't really all that fine, though 0.5mm should be roughly the width of many EF nibs (some pens like the Lamy 2000 are wider). Japanese EFs are actually very fine, and my Pilot EFs are a bit finer than 0.5mm Rapidographs for technical drawing.

If you want a really really fine line, there's always the Platinum 3776 UEF nib.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

* Don't wash out Pilot Irushizuku Kon-Peki with tap water - in my case, it precipitated and I had to clean out the filling mechanism

You might want to have your water checked, I have 4:1 Kon Peki:Tap Water (I'll use distilled next time, I promise!) in a pen right now and there are no issues at all.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If I had known about this thread before I bought my Cross Aventura I might have a Pilot Metro, but instead I now have a TWSBI 580 EF, two Esterbrook CX-100s, and an Esterbrook LJ.

I like pens.

What you need to do now is buy a Pilot Metro.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

You might want to have your water checked, I have 4:1 Kon Peki:Tap Water (I'll use distilled next time, I promise!) in a pen right now and there are no issues at all.

Hmm... yeah. I happen to live in a building with less-than-trustworthy piping.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

blowfish posted:

The answer is to get a Pilot with an EF nib :v: (sadly the Metro doesn't come in that size yet).

You want to use an ink that doesn't feather, and decent paper. Cheap photocopier paper will always suck up ink and make a line broader than the nib normally would produce. In addition, western EFs just aren't really all that fine, though 0.5mm should be roughly the width of many EF nibs (some pens like the Lamy 2000 are wider). Japanese EFs are actually very fine, and my Pilot EFs are a bit finer than 0.5mm Rapidographs for technical drawing.

If you want a really really fine line, there's always the Platinum 3776 UEF nib.

My Sailor EF writes a bit finer than a 0.3 rollerball.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Solkanar512 posted:

Is it meant to be diluted or is that just because it's thirty goddamn dollars a bottle?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is it meant to be diluted or is that just because it's thirty goddamn dollars a bottle?

You mean $15 :smugdog:

It's not meant to be diluted, but if you like a lighter colour, you can add water.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Straight from the bottle it smear several days after writing on a Black and Red notebook, and that's what we have at work. I read somewhere that it was due to there being too much pigment fir the pen/paper combo, so adding water would fix that.

And it has.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I write a shitload every day and it still takes me ages to blow through a bottle of Iroshizuku.

blowfish posted:

Those are 0.1 mm, right? Insane stuff; Sailor's Sabi-togi nibs are also around that tipping size. You will badly gently caress up the nib if you don't know what you're doing, and the nib will literally pierce through lovely paper the instant you attempt to write.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

blowfish posted:

You mean $15 :smugdog:

It's not meant to be diluted, but if you like a lighter colour, you can add water.
Yeah, if you're in Japan. Shipping outside of Japan is like $25. :gonk:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Finagle posted:

Buy a Metro! :haw:

And then swap nibs with a Kakuno! The F nib on them is apparently .35mm and I can confirm it's a pretty drat tiny line. The swap is easy to do and while the body of the Kakuno is just dandy, I think the Metro's heft and sturdiness are better, as well as the cap having a nice clip. It also has a smiley face on the nib and if you don't enjoy the poo poo out of that then I don't envy your dark, joyless life. :colbert:

Or I guess you could just buy an F Metro now. Whatever. This is also just the budget option and if you want to spring for a UEF 3776 then by all means. That gold nib must feel a dream.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just ordered samples of nearly every highlighter shade known to man :sun: I was intending to use them in order to select what shade I want to get a full bottle in, but it'll probably take me so long to run through all these samples I won't ever need one. Also got a bottle of Noodler's Ottoman Rose because I've been in love with that shade ever since Goulet Pens sent me an invoice with a note on it written in that ink. Aaaand since I was already spending money decided to throw a fine nib Metro in the order. I wanted a silver one but they're already sold out (boo :( ) so I got gold instead.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

Goulet Pens sent me an invoice with a note on it written in that ink

This is a really awesome thing that Goulet does. I have to wonder how many bottles of ink they've sold that way, I know that's why I got a bottle of Apple Glory, and they may sell a bottle of Soft Mint to my fiancee.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I agree. It's a great way to see an ink in person that you might not have ever thought to get a sample of or even knew about. I always check out what color they're using on those notes and that pink was such a great shade, really deep and vibrant.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
My Metro showed up today. I should clean the nib before using it, right? Is rubbing alcohol ok or should I use something else?

e: VVV Copy that, thanks.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 15, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Get some clean water in a glass, add a little ammonia to it if you have it, and a drop of dish soap. Use the converter it came with to swish the cleaning solution through it a bunch, then gently hold a paper towel around the nib for a while to draw excess water out of the feed. After that, you're good to go!

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So at the suggested of this thread I ordered some Iroshizuku ink, ina-ho :v:

Unfortunately, it arrived today in California, when we have "record-breaking heat" of over 100 degrees and it's only May for Christ's sake. So the package sat in the heat for several hours before I actually got home. The glass bottle inside is really hot. Will my ink be okay :ohdear:

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Koldenblue posted:

So at the suggested of this thread I ordered some Iroshizuku ink, ina-ho :v:

Unfortunately, it arrived today in California, when we have "record-breaking heat" of over 100 degrees and it's only May for Christ's sake. So the package sat in the heat for several hours before I actually got home. The glass bottle inside is really hot. Will my ink be okay :ohdear:

It should be, I live in Vegas and during Summer packages will arrive with all of their contents very warm and aside from possibly speeding up the rate at which PR inks degrade into 100% mold, it doesn't seem to do anything to other inks.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Okay, thanks! I also wanted to make sure the heat wasn't a problem before proceeding to order way more ink than I need :)

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I got my fine Metro in and inked it up. I have an old Esterbrook EF nib that's just about the same size but way scratchier to write with. This thing is a goddamn steal, even moreso that it writes fine enough that the ink doesn't feather illegibly in my crappy one dollar no name brand notebook.

While the topic of cleaning pens is fresh, I have a Safari with a black nib and the last ink I used in it creeped like mad (Kung Te-Cheng looks great but isn't all that well behaved) and I was thinking I should probably make sure the nib and feed are as clean as possible before I ink it again. It's been a while since I emptied it out and gave it a bit of a rinse, but to be more thorough, would it be prudent to take out the feed and let it and the nib soak for an hour or two in the usual water/ammonia/soap mix I see recommended here?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Meldonox posted:

I got my fine Metro in and inked it up. I have an old Esterbrook EF nib that's just about the same size but way scratchier to write with. This thing is a goddamn steal, even moreso that it writes fine enough that the ink doesn't feather illegibly in my crappy one dollar no name brand notebook.

While the topic of cleaning pens is fresh, I have a Safari with a black nib and the last ink I used in it creeped like mad (Kung Te-Cheng looks great but isn't all that well behaved) and I was thinking I should probably make sure the nib and feed are as clean as possible before I ink it again. It's been a while since I emptied it out and gave it a bit of a rinse, but to be more thorough, would it be prudent to take out the feed and let it and the nib soak for an hour or two in the usual water/ammonia/soap mix I see recommended here?

I've never had anything hurt from soaking, especially a Safari. You really should get a converter on it too since the water flowing through it is what "scrubs" out the ink.

If you really wanna get it clean, this ultrasonic cleaner is really good. I have one and it's gotten crud out of pens I thought was cleaned out years ago. It's also good for being lazy; just drop your grip section in and let it run!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I plunked down the whopping $18 for a Metro. Where might I get an EF (I quite liked my Vac 700's EF nib line until I lost the pen) nib?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I plunked down the whopping $18 for a Metro. Where might I get an EF (I quite liked my Vac 700's EF nib line until I lost the pen) nib?

The Metro F is probably about the same as the TWSBI EF already.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

FAUXTON posted:

Jetpens sells the Pilot Penmanship for <:10bux: if you wanted to snag one of those to cannibalize the nib for your metro.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blowfish posted:

The Metro F is probably about the same as the TWSBI EF already.

I couldn't find one with an F nib though and so the one I got was M.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Am I the only broad nib lover here

Big fat chunky lines and loads of ink yeeeessss

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Clamps McGraw posted:

Am I the only broad nib lover here

Big fat chunky lines and loads of ink yeeeessss

Nope, I love me a big ol' wet nib.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought I prefered fine nibs. Then I got a 1.5mm stub for my TWSBI 530 and haven't looked back since.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Wet nibs are the best.

Except when you're trying to annotate text or write in margins, then god help you you're hosed.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Kessel posted:

Wet nibs are the best.

Except when you're trying to annotate text or write in margins, then god help you you're hosed.

That's why I have an F nib Kakuno at hand, sometimes you just gotta write small.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

pienipple posted:

That's why I have an F nib Kakuno at hand, sometimes you just gotta write small.

Kakuno is the sleeper hit of the century!

But yeah, I have a broad and an italic nib and they're just delicious, but most of my writing is either in a 4"x6" notebook or on forms at work, so I have to keep a pretty fine line most of the time. :(

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I hope this is the right place to ask: Would anyone be interested in trading something for a like new Pilot 78G w/ Broad (stub) nib?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

teraflame posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask: Would anyone be interested in trading something for a like new Pilot 78G w/ Broad (stub) nib?

Are you looking for a pen, ink, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
Hey, what's the cheapest way to get a 1.5mm nib on a metropolitan?

I'd like to use a broad fountain pen rather than getting a 1.5mm Pilot parallel, but I'm not ready to invest in something really fancy.