Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I'm pretty sure they are lesbians.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Say Nothing posted:

I'm pretty sure they are lesbians.

In every comic.

Fingerpori

Fok_It

I should probably try that. Living solely in the now hasn't been doing me much good either.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Beni's dead!! :gonk:

The Creeps gets an A in composition.

Candorville on the other hand, gets a big red F with a circle around it and 'see me' in the upper right hand corner.

Broom Hilda backs dat rear end up :barf:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
There is no "point" to Zippy. There is only Zippy. :v:

Paige posted something about a GoComics fuckup on her FB page, so the 12th's and today's are the same. Okey doke.

Jane's World

I don't know :wtf: either, but I am interested in finding out what the hell the "Nevada Liberation Militia" is.

Non Sequitur

Whatever.. bleh. I'm happy to say I'm a real man who can hold his gluten.

Double Heavenly Nostrils, we're back on track.

Kliban's Cats

:3:

9 Chickweed Lane 5/13/2003

And all of the pages are stuck together, aren't they Amos?

Zits

I'm sorry, but it would be loving hilarious if Sara had another date... :devil:

Kevin & Kell

What? That's just dumb.

Nemi

Makes sense? I think?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

I gotta say, the thing that most fascinates me about Emmy Lou is how well Marty Links documents the styles of the period. If you look at most strips with young characters, the characters fit into one of two styles - either some sort of timeless 'generic white middle class' style (Dustin, Shoe, Blondie, FOOB) or into the 'distinctly the style worn when the character was created and has never updated' (Zits, Nancy). Emmy Lou really stands out for having the main characters actually dress in the style that fashion-concious teenagers of its time would, and updating that style as times changed.

Having looked up the author on Wikipedia, it turns out that Marty Links was educated at San Francisco's Fashion Art Institute, so I guess it makes sense that she paid so much attention to style and dress.

fake edit: wait, it took three people to make Emmy Lou? A gag writer, a penciler, and an inker? That's... that's a lot more effort than I would have expected.

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 13, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 22, 1927)

Peanuts (May 16, 1967)

"Dear friend, this is secret penmanship practice..."

Funky Winkerbean

Looking like you're about to die and then passing out on the floor is hilarious!

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo: You don't have to be Nate Silver to spot the institutional bias here. (May 15, 1956)

Droodles (September 1, 1954)

Out Our Way (December 17-18, 1924)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

I missed it in the theaters too. :(

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set

I missed it in the theaters too. :(

Inversely, I thought I was going to the very last showing of The Grand Budapest Hotel at my local theater, and it's been there for like two weeks since.

I don't really mind, it's a great movie and I'm glad it appears to be doing good business, but with the plot of that movie, seeing it on the very last day would have been quite fitting.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour[/b]

A good MdJ? I feel shameful acknowledging it as such.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Helicity posted:

A good MdJ? I feel shameful acknowledging it as such.
I just assume it's an edit and am not going to check.

e: if you write things like "yes it's a mullet" under your comic panels where you've drawn a mullet or "meanwhile at the bar" on the panel where you see the bar, you should rethink your choice of art form and/or evaluate your self esteem.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 13, 2014

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Looks like as of yesterday, Super-Fun-Pak Comix from Tom the Dancing Bug is it's own thing.

Here are the first two:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Julet Esqu posted:

What if he does it from cold, unfeeling cynicism? Because I think that's what it is. While I believe he likes country music and tits, I don't believe he gives a crap about Grand 'Ol Oprey and bears with angel wings and VIET NAM VETS and whatever the hell else. He knows who his audience is and he draws and writes whatever he thinks will get them to buy more dumb garbage at the Bradford exchange. I think he has a lot in common with the late Thomas Kinkade.

I don't know what this does to my opinion of him, but I hate what it's done to Nancy.

I'm pretty sure he sincerely gives a crap about Grand Ole Opry. He did make this music video I feel needs to be brought up whenever Gilchrist is discussed. Note that Fritzi makes a loving appearance as a pin-up girl in the video. This was done in 2009, so I'm pretty sure that's before he even loving took over Nancy?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Actually, now you mention it, when did Gilchrist take over? Was it a sudden tonal shift with his first comic, or was it a slow change into the current shmaltzy strip we know and love?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LtStorm posted:

This was done in 2009, so I'm pretty sure that's before he even loving took over Nancy?
1995, yo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, if Gilchrist is only pandering to his intended audience, he's got a PhD in knowing what they want.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Oh, that's right, he worked on it before he got full control of it. He took over fully last year, that's when Phil Fumble showed back up and miraculously transformed into a folksy down-home Übermensch.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Anora posted:

I keep reading Zippy the pinhead, and I just can't figure it out, is there a website that explains that drat thing, or by not getting the point, am I getting the point?

http://joshreads.com/?cat=75

Comics Curmudgeon while speaking for all of us posted:

This dripping, self-indulgent bolus of hipper-than-thou omphaloskepsis no longer stains even the benighted San Francisco Chronicle. Voted off in a reader poll. Deluded fans howled: such sweet, sweet music!

Scary Gary

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 13, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Anora posted:

I keep reading Zippy the pinhead, and I just can't figure it out, is there a website that explains that drat thing, or by not getting the point, am I getting the point?

Here's what you need to know about Zippy: The strip's creator, Bill Griffith, is a big underground comic artist that had his start in the 70's. Zippy was made for alt weeklies and underground newspapers, and stayed there until the mid-80's when all that cocaine that defined the decade did something weird and Zippy got transferred into a daily format in an actual mainstream newspaper, which lead to King Syndicate picking it up.

The results are unsurprisingly confusing as gently caress. Zippy was never meant for a wide audience. Zippy makes no loving sense. Zippy isn't supposed to. It's a surreal loving comic.

e: vvv Thank you for digging that up. I was looking for where I did a comparison, but it was apparently in last year's topic and I can't access them as I am a scrub who does not have Archives.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 13, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

LtStorm posted:

Oh, that's right, he worked on it before he got full control of it. He took over fully last year, that's when Phil Fumble showed back up and miraculously transformed into a folksy down-home Übermensch.

Exactly. The initial shift was from Jerry Scott's drastic redesign back to something with at least a surface resemblance to "golden age" Bushmiller. We're in the middle of Guy's real whiplash change, the one where out of nowhere he started reaching for unearned emotional resonance by telling extended stories about these wind-up punchline machines.

And speaking of whiplash shifts, here's a reminder what the love of a stacked woman can do for some men.

2012:

Last week:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oh my god Jeffy how are you so dumb?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tiggum posted:

Shoe

Is it just me, or is this an incredibly obscure joke to be making in 2014?

Futurama did the exact same joke not too long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQWP6gE5QHY

Better delivery, and in a better language. Io Sputo Sui Tuoi Fumetti.

Café Per I Cani

Most fish can also survive in pure blood, and in about a 1:4 mix of urine to water. Don't try either of those, though.

Via Ballard

I don't like the way that psychologist is drawn. Something simian about it.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 13, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Exactly. The initial shift was from Jerry Scott's drastic redesign back to something with at least a surface resemblance to "golden age" Bushmiller. We're in the middle of Guy's real whiplash change, the one where out of nowhere he started reaching for unearned emotional resonance by telling extended stories about these wind-up punchline machines.
Actually, I think Nancy herself is the only character who hasn't had some weird heartstring-tugging backstory bolted on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtStorm posted:

Here's what you need to know about Zippy: The strip's creator, Bill Griffith, is a big underground comic artist that had his start in the 70's. Zippy was made for alt weeklies and underground newspapers, and stayed there until the mid-80's when all that cocaine that defined the decade did something weird and Zippy got transferred into a daily format in an actual mainstream newspaper, which lead to King Syndicate picking it up.

The results are unsurprisingly confusing as gently caress. Zippy was never meant for a wide audience. Zippy makes no loving sense. Zippy isn't supposed to. It's a surreal loving comic.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, I think Nancy herself is the only character who hasn't had some weird heartstring-tugging backstory bolted on.

Well, Nancy's technically an orphan, so there are either a couple of dead or severely absentee parents in her past.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

R Ubbish fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 14, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Well, Nancy's technically an orphan, so there are either a couple of dead or severely absentee parents in her past.

I'm sure he's saving that storyline for a special occasion.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm sure he's saving that storyline for a special occasion.

He already did it, the father-daughter day plotline from a couple months ago.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

EasyEW posted:

2012:

Last week:

Poor Phil's got Acromegaly. Next week, he's gonna look like Robert Z'Dar.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

EasyEW posted:

And speaking of whiplash shifts, here's a reminder what the love of a stacked woman can do for some men.

2012:

Last week:

When did Fritzi start looking different? Based on the strips posted earlier from back when Gilchrist first started she looked sort of like she did in the old strips.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

He already did it, the father-daughter day plotline from a couple months ago.

Did that storyline actually talk about what happened to Nancy's parents, though? I remember it being "I'm sad about not having parents to bring to the family picnic wait I'll bring Aunt Friti PROBLEM SOLVED".

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Did that storyline actually talk about what happened to Nancy's parents, though? I remember it being "I'm sad about not having parents to bring to the family picnic wait I'll bring Aunt Friti PROBLEM SOLVED".

I don't believe so, no.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Achernar posted:

Poor Phil's got Acromegaly.
Speaking of which, Hal Foster completely nails the characteristic features of someone with acromegaly with the giant. Just pointing that out, in case someone thought he was a poo poo artist or something :v:

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Speaking of which, Hal Foster completely nails the characteristic features of someone with acromegaly with the giant. Just pointing that out, in case someone thought he was a poo poo artist or something :v:

I know, the giant looks like Rondo Hatton.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Rose is Rose

Do geese mate anything like ducks? If they do, this is actually pretty funny.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They're swans, you idiot. And no, they mate for life.
Who ever described geese as romantic? They're maybe the least romantic of all waterfowl.

Tom Gauld

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr. Squishy posted:

They're swans, you idiot. And no, they mate for life.
Who ever described geese as romantic? They're maybe the least romantic of all waterfowl.

But to answer his original question, no, Geese are not rapists and necrophiles. Ducks remain the worst bird, sexwise.

• Locked thread