Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

But it's Neil Gaiman and he says the word 'bitch' so it must be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
oh lol people take it seriously/care what he says? can't let the mountain that writes edits writes get made fun of on the internet

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

I went and found these for you, because I dare to love:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/restless-readers-go-bonkers/article1155010/

http://www.alanbaxteronline.com/writers-bitches-investment-readers/

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/blog/brent-weeks-opinion-column-george-rr-martin-is-not-your-bitch/

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh christ, Brent Weeks is one of us. That makes me just so goddamn sad. He's a horrible writer :(

e:

:newlol:

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 13, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wish that was the worst thing assosicated with asoiaf Ive seen so far.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
http://www.danbarham.com/dinklage/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Shoehead posted:

I wish that was the worst thing assosicated with asoiaf Ive seen so far.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
HBO will either write it themselves or cancel the show. I don't think they liked all the complaints the long gaps that Sopranos had caused. So GRRM is either going to pull a rabbit out of his fat rear end or become a contributing writer of his own magnum opus.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Well, if HBO's gonna milk it for all it's worth (they will), they could skip 1 season for dunk&egg filler, and promise the showwatchers that they'll be back with an EVEN BIGGER ACTION-PACKED season next year.

A dunk/blackfyre season would be relatively low cost and high profit, and offset the more action-packed, diverse-setting winds and dream seasons

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

visceril posted:

Well, if HBO's gonna milk it for all it's worth (they will), they could skip 1 season for dunk&egg filler, and promise the showwatchers that they'll be back with an EVEN BIGGER ACTION-PACKED season next year.

A dunk/blackfyre season would be relatively low cost and high profit, and offset the more action-packed, diverse-setting winds and dream seasons

A whole year for the kids to get even older.

Plus the audience might not appreciate HBO going "Here's a whole new show to tide you over for a year!", which is what this plan will be.

They have to keep keeping on with the main story, or wrap it up. They've got an ending, there's absolutely no reason for them to wait for the Gurm and I'd be surprised if they did.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah there's no way that will happen and they would definitely lose their audience, and gurm still wouldn't write anything. It'd be setting money on fire by HBO.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm honestly thrilled that there is a very real possibilty that with in 4 years I will have a conclusion to this srory in some professional form. Thats less time than I've waited between Tyrion chapters at one point!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Shouldn't the Wall be visible from Winterfell or maybe even The Twins?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

700 ft's not that high, it's not as high as the Empire State building.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Baron Porkface posted:

Doubtful, I think Winterfell is like 200 miles from the wall, the twins are like 800 miles away. The gift and the new gift are mostly mountains and hills.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

visceril posted:

This would never happen what are you on?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I mean, really, what difference would one year make? If they really wanted to let him catch up, they'd have to have a several years long break and that's absolutely not gonna happen.

The only question in my mind is: is GRRM gonna stay on the writing staff after S5/S6 and give them much more detailed info about what he plans to write, or is he gonna peace out and leave them to use whatever notes he gave them to mostly craft the story on their own?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lycus posted:

I mean, really, what difference would one year make? If they really wanted to let him catch up, they'd have to have a several years long break and that's absolutely not gonna happen.

The only question in my mind is: is GRRM gonna stay on the writing staff after S5/S6 and give them much more detailed info about what he plans to write, or is he gonna peace out and leave them to use whatever notes he gave them to mostly craft the story on their own?

That solution gets floated a lot, and the one thing it never seems to take into account is that the actors for the show would jump ship. A lot of them were unknowns before this, and are now hitting the first peak of their career, they don't have time to just twiddle their thumbs for a year while HBO lets a dude catch up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The Jets should threaten to start Ser Fumble of Butt again unless he writes everyday.

Edit: n/m I didn't know he got traded.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Lycus posted:

I mean, really, what difference would one year make?

Momentum. If the show goes off the air, people will find something else to watch on Sunday and then they might or might not come back when the show's back on.

Plus the general public, as a whole, as the memory of a goldfish.

Edit: Also the thing about the actors loving off.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

He finally gives up and admits that he's always been a TV writer, and he takes over the writing of all of season 5 and 7. After finishing in no time at all he gets to watch his life work finally completed and enjoys a peaceful retirement for many years.

Elman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 13, 2014

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I really hope that when they run out of book material HBO renegotiates GURM's contract so he makes far less for those seasons. Since, ya know, he's not providing any material for them to work off anymore.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The past couple of pages are basically the same question asked over and over again. HBO have no cause to give a poo poo whether GRRM publishes his books or not, the only way they're doing any additional ASOIAF based shows is after the show is over or concurrently to it, they're never going to go on hiatus for a year or more just so Lord Too Lazy To Write a Book catches up to them.

Lycus posted:

He's probably contractually obligated to give them whichever information they require of him, or perhaps he already had, we can't really know the level of detail his 'notes' included but I think we can assume that they got/will-get everything they need from him. I guess that during season 5 we'll see if they even care so much about staying relatively close to his narrative or not, the AFFC/ADWD season is bound to contain a lot of original material either way and they might simply discard enormous portions of the source material.

All in all I think GRRM enjoys writing TV scripts a lot more than he enjoys writing his novels, so unless he turns out to be a huge baby about the sanctity of ~~his vision~~ he'll probably keep handing in a script per season until the show is over.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's weird how they are moving some stories quickly, and treading water in others. Balon Greyjoy is still alive while they gently caress around doing throwaway theon scenes like the botched rescue. At some point they have to introduce some subset of Euron, Victarion, Aeron from the iron islands, arianne, doran, sand snakes, frogman from dorne, a whole mess of meereen people(dunno about this), lady stonehart. I agree that they can't do two more full seasons for feast/dance but they have a lot of poo poo to cover still. Kings landing is way behind Theon/Bran/Dany.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FrozenVent posted:

Momentum. If the show goes off the air, people will find something else to watch on Sunday and then they might or might not come back when the show's back on.

Plus the general public, as a whole, as the memory of a goldfish.

Edit: Also the thing about the actors loving off.
"What difference what one year make?" in terms of GRRM's writing, not in terms of TV production. We're in agreement.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Balon dying in the first place was a throwaway scene in the books that sets up the moot or whatever it is that they do. No need to set that in motion just yet as far as the shows concerned. They might even have a better plan for Balon's death than just "some guy tossed him off a bridge, probably a faceless man".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Balon dying in the first place was a throwaway scene in the books that sets up the moot or whatever it is that they do. No need to set that in motion just yet as far as the shows concerned. They might even have a better plan for Balon's death than just "some guy tossed him off a bridge, probably a faceless man".

Yeah I think they will probably do it better than the books did, just weird that they are waiting so long. They had the scene with the leeches so stannis will have to learn of it and be happy somehow.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Rannos22 posted:

I really hope that when they run out of book material HBO renegotiates GURM's contract so he makes far less for those seasons. Since, ya know, he's not providing any material for them to work off anymore.

Why would they do that? The episodes he wrote were all well received, his scripts are as good or better than what their other writers have produced, people are assuming HBO hates GRRM for some reason and can't wait to kick him out of the team but there's really nothing tangible that suggests anything even remotely like that. I think that the only people who'd like GRRM to be as far away from them as possible are the female cast members cause he's a creep but otherwise everyone else is probably happy to have him on board.

Jeffrey posted:

At some point they have to introduce some subset of Euron, Victarion, Aeron from the iron islands, arianne, doran, sand snakes, frogman from dorne, a whole mess of meereen people(dunno about this), lady stonehart. I agree that they can't do two more full seasons for feast/dance but they have a lot of poo poo to cover still. Kings landing is way behind Theon/Bran/Dany.

Honestly, do they?

I don't intend to start a 'which story lines are good/worth preserving' discussion cause that's one tedius mainstay of the TVIV spoiler thread I don't care to participate in anymore but I mean, do they really have to do any of those things? They can cut out whichever part they feel like. Do they really have to introduce the shavepate? The books haven't bothered introducing Howland Reed why should HBO feel compelled to? At some point they can just decide they're going to focus on writing what they think is a good TV show, they're already on that path. For all we know Bran might be on his way back south by the end of next season, and Dany might be on the way to Westros. They really don't have to give a poo poo about GRRM's books if they don't want to.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Well I think they could probably cut out a lot of stuff, it'd be weird and hack-jobbish though. I don't particularly know how important the iron islands/dorne stuff is to the rest of the story. They can cut out the shavepate but probably not Hizadr(sp?), probably can't cut out victarion, and presumably something is planned on happening with Myrcella? I suppose Cersei's prophecy hasn't been in the show so they don't necessarily need to, but I think all those kids are going to die.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Hizdar just showed up last episode.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Hizdar just showed up last episode.

Oh was that him? I forget him saying his name, okay, fair enough. He's the one whose father was crucified?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

^ Yup, that's the one.

They already introduced Hizdahr the Lorax last episode, and they probably won't introduce the other Dornish people until next season since the Viper's death is what set a lot of their story into motion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah I think they will probably do it better than the books did, just weird that they are waiting so long. They had the scene with the leeches so stannis will have to learn of it and be happy somehow.

Well that's one less king to worry about

:smugdog: One fewer.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Cersei's prophecy only gets introduced towards the end of AFFC anyway, well after the events of the current season. Hizdar was already introduced. They can cut anything they want really, Dany already has a fleet of her own in Meereen in the show, in the books she has no naval force, perhaps this removes whatever facility Victarion had to the story. We can't really know either way but my point is that not only can they cut whatever they want but they can choose to replace storylines with something else entirely and just do whatever they think works best for their show.

Like for instance, as the bloody mummers were never introduced we already can predict that Brienne's storyline is going to be very different next season, Her and Podrick will probably get at least one fight scene this season even, they're not gonna have her go from place to place and have conversations with the smallfolk for a season and half cause it's really not that kind of show.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

well presumably most of brienne's story stays the same but is offscreen. They might well have her run into some of the "not bloody-mummers", even if "not-vargo" is dead. Yeah, I get it though, they are free to change whatever. Maybe Euron hasn't been shown because Euron = Daario and they have to have the same actor~

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If Bloodraven really has been cast for this season, maybe they'll do a lot of histroy exposition via Bran-tree visions next season. Tower of Joy, Summerhall, other stuff alluded to.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

If Bloodraven really has been cast for this season, maybe they'll do a lot of histroy exposition via Bran-tree visions next season. Tower of Joy, Summerhall, other stuff alluded to.

This would actually be pretty cool

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Junkenstein posted:

I doubt we're gonna see more than a few short 'trippy imagery' treevision sequences, maybe one extended segment that shows Ned again or something like that But I'd surprised if we see elaborate expository scenes showing westerosi historical events.

Though I think there's a good chance that Jon's mom's identity will eventually be revealed via a tree vision.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

IRQ posted:

This would never happen what are you on?

Yeah I know it's dumb. I just want him to write something. I want the satisfaction of holding the book in my hands and reading it and

Hahaha lol jk that fat gently caress better hope he dies before it's contract renegotiation time. The reason HBO hates the Gurm is the same reason we all hate him: he is the mountain that does not write. He may have """directed""" an episode or two but unless it involves pizza, blogging about football, or Arya for the next few years he ain't doing any actual work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I don't think HBO hates GRRM, I just think that they're a company that wants to make money and GRRM is an author whose TV adaptation is about to surpass his work on which it is based. If I were that company I'd try to find any way I could to pay that author less. I'm sure since he created the characters, setting, etc. that they're still legally obligated to pay him the same amount to finish the series for him, though.