Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spider-kid at the end there is a potential Max 2.0 in the making, hopefully his mom is a good mom and teaches him about Responsibility so he avoids that dark path, happy Mother's Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Unless he has whatever mental illness Max had, he should be OK.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Rhino and Electro are B tier villains so Rhino I already didn't care about and i'm surprised they found a way to make me like Electro.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RBX posted:

Rhino and Electro are B tier villains so Rhino I already didn't care about and i'm surprised they found a way to make me like Electro.

Not putting a starfish on his head was a good start.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Uh, it's Rhino. Unless they do Flowers For Rhino he's never going to be more than a dumb joke character. That's who he is.

Electro's motivation here kind of reminded me of that time in the comics where he got tired of being everyone's butt monkey and decided he was going to suck up all of the power in the city, then shoot Spiderman with it. Just not as directly "I'm going to kill you in the most hilariously overkill fashion anyone has ever thought of ever."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't get coming out of a movie as beautiful as ASM2 and wanting to see the character in the bland MCU visual style, as much fun as IM3 and Cap2 were.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Because nothing says "true to the comic books" like a boring visual style shared by the entire output of one company!

(yes I know it's DC that has their boring house style, but seriously I don't want all of these movies to look the same)

Surlaw posted:

Because then he can punch a Hulk!!

Y'all are reading a whole lot into what I said. And apparently ignoring parts of it that don't suit your "everyone who likes the MCU is a dumb Redditor" narrative. :psyduck:

I'll be the first to admit that I like uniqueness in movies, but honestly, the recent MCU stuff has just been way better-executed than either of the ASM movies. There's a decent chance that Cap 2 is going to be straight-up my favorite movie of 2014 (since the only things I can really see coming close to it are The Raid 2, Godzilla, Snowpiercer, and Interstellar), and even if come New Year's it's not my favorite of the year, it's gonna take some serious work to displace it from my top 5; if I somehow traveled back in time to when Iron Man 2 came out (or hell, even when Avengers came out) and told past-me this, he'd probably laugh in my face. If the tradeoff for it being a much more enjoyable movie on the whole is that it's slightly less pretty, I'll happily take it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Y'all are reading a whole lot into what I said. And apparently ignoring parts of it that don't suit your "everyone who likes the MCU is a dumb Redditor" narrative. :psyduck:

I'll be the first to admit that I like uniqueness in movies, but honestly, the recent MCU stuff has just been way better-executed than either of the ASM movies. There's a decent chance that Cap 2 is going to be straight-up my favorite movie of 2014 (since the only things I can really see coming close to it are The Raid 2, Godzilla, Snowpiercer, and Interstellar), and even if come New Year's it's not my favorite of the year, it's gonna take some serious work to displace it from my top 5; if I somehow traveled back in time to when Iron Man 2 came out (or hell, even when Avengers came out) and told past-me this, he'd probably laugh in my face. If the tradeoff for it being a much more enjoyable movie on the whole is that it's slightly less pretty, I'll happily take it.

It goes beyond "less pretty" and into "less interesting". I think part of the reason these movies are so successful is the novelty of the combined universe, and (for Cap 2, at least), the novelty of A Political Movie, With Superheroes (replace "Political" with whatever genre they're trying out for other movies). Think of the hype surrounding The Dark Knight, but with a movie that isn't as good. (We're not gonna see Robert Redford get nominated for an Oscar, even if he ODs on sleeping pills in the next 8 months)

But what happens when that runs out? We've got Guardians and Ant-Man coming up, which have the most potential of any of their movies yet, but another Cap sequel and (oh dear sweet jesus) Avengers 2 don't fill me with the most excitement in the world. Dr. Strange could go either way, and from there (with all of the planning they've done), I imagine a large portion of the future movies (until their contracts run out) are gonna be very same-y because that's what works. Guardians looks neat now, but will Guardians 3 be the same? Or Cap 4: Bucky's Last Stand? Rag on MoS all you want, but at least it was cool, different, and interesting.

edit: I don't think everyone who likes the MCU movies is a dumb redditor, because I understand why people like them, even if I don't for the most part. However, I think everyone who wants Marvel to regain control of all of their properties and meld them into the universe so we have a bunch of movies all made by the same people, under the same roof, is hella short-sighted.

Also, Avengers is everything I dislike about current movie trends distilled into a 2 hour movie, and the less of those that make a buttload of money, the better for Hollywood.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 12, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If the tradeoff for it being a much more enjoyable movie on the whole is that it's slightly less pretty, I'll happily take it.

It's not me "ignoring" what you say to disagree with it. Cap2 was more than "slightly" less pretty and I didn't find it more enjoyable on the whole.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Reddit comment's just bizarre. What?

I totally understand someone saying that they wish ASM2 went with a different style, whether it's visual or tone. I don't see how making it part of The Marvel Cinematic Universe would guarantee an improvement on any of those fronts, aside from giving it more Crossover Potential. There's no doubt Sony's holding the reigns on Marc Webb in places, but Marvel does the same thing, even if they've lightened up on it post-Avengers.

I don't want a Spider-Man movie with Thor: The Dark World's quality because I was completely bored by that movie aside from the fun portals everywhere final boss fight. Even when parts of Spider-man movies fail (both Raimi and Webb) they're interesting failures instead of straight out mediocrity. I liked Iron Man 3. I haven't seen Captain America 2 yet.

To talk about something I liked instead of just arguing:

Max Dillon is a victim of society's failures from the start: He's a mentally ill man who continuously asks for help and is shot down. At work, he asks for help with a dangerous task and is laughed at and ignored by his coworkers, leading to his "death." After his rebirth, he asks for help from New York at large and is literally shot by the cops while Spider-man tries to calm him down, of course he's going to violently lash out. He's then thrown in prison and tortured instead of being shown any form of treatment. If anything, the film turns against the theme of "New York City as the Hero" that's shown up everywhere from Raimi SM1's New Yorkers pelting the Green Goblin with trash to ASM1's crane scene. Here, trigger happy cops gun down a minority and lead to a city wide panic.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 12, 2014

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's not me "ignoring" what you say to disagree with it. Cap2 was more than "slightly" less pretty and I didn't find it more enjoyable on the whole.

The Winter Soldier is the greyest god-drat movie of the new millennium. Every god-drat scene is grey, every locale is grey. It had its strengths as a movie, but it was a loving ugly movie. Then again, I think I may have just been spoiled, since the prior three films I'd seen at the movies were 12 Years a Slave, The Raid 2 and the Lego Movie.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Snowman_McK posted:

The Winter Soldier is the greyest god-drat movie of the new millennium. Every god-drat scene is grey, every locale is grey. It had its strengths as a movie, but it was a loving ugly movie. Then again, I think I may have just been spoiled, since the prior three films I'd seen at the movies were 12 Years a Slave, The Raid 2 and the Lego Movie.

It's a bland looking movie for sure, but there's a big part of me that was glad they went with a relatively naturalistic color palette without indulging in a lot of cliched 'gritty' visual signifiers that are common to the espionage genre these days.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Mono-colored isn't necessarily bland or boring. Tim Burton's shite, for instance, looks really dark all the time but it's going for that exact look. Cap 2 has a strong and consistent art direction that clearly sets up the clinical, militaristic, conspiracy-laced tone they wanted this world to take place in. It wasn't, y'know, a mistake they just didn't get the chance to fix or something.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
My gut instinct was right: goons are dumb AND the movie is really bad about explaining things clearly and consistently.

Good grief what a pile of poo poo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, I know *my* biggest problem with the movie was an overly complicated narrative (no it wasn't).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yoshifan823 posted:

But what happens when that runs out? We've got Guardians and Ant-Man coming up, which have the most potential of any of their movies yet, but another Cap sequel and (oh dear sweet jesus) Avengers 2 don't fill me with the most excitement in the world. Dr. Strange could go either way, and from there (with all of the planning they've done), I imagine a large portion of the future movies (until their contracts run out) are gonna be very same-y because that's what works. Guardians looks neat now, but will Guardians 3 be the same? Or Cap 4: Bucky's Last Stand? Rag on MoS all you want, but at least it was cool, different, and interesting.

How about another Hulk movie? Everyone loved the character in Avengers. The Incredible Hulk was pretty good and hinted at The Leader so a sequel already seems set up.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

DeathChicken posted:

Well, I know *my* biggest problem with the movie was an overly complicated narrative (no it wasn't).

The narrative was pretty simple.
It was just bad.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I didn't really notice on my first watch, but on my second time through I really noticed how terrible the dialogue in this movie is. "We have no chimney?" "I break up with you" instead of "I'm breaking up with you?" Really? Who loving talks like that?

I mean, the acting is good enough that I can mostly excuse the bad dialogue, but there is some bad goddamned dialogue in this movie.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Screen Door Slams posted:

"We have no chimney?"

I too hate things that are fun.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

I too hate things that are fun.

There's fun, and then there's talking in a way utterly unlike any human being ever would. If the line had been "We don't have a chimney," I'd have been 100% on board with that scene. It would have been great. But there is not a human being alive that would say "we have no chimney" in that situation.

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 13, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

How about another Hulk movie? Everyone loved the character in Avengers. The Incredible Hulk was pretty good and hinted at The Leader so a sequel already seems set up.

If it ever happens, it's going to be after Phase 3.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The movie uses a ton of hammy, over wrought dialogue that I personally love but can understand why other people wouldn't like. "No one talks like real people" doesn't say much, the movie isn't aiming anywhere in the realm of realism. It's cool to be disappointed by that, but it's not objectively bad dialogue because of it.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Surlaw posted:

The movie uses a ton of hammy, over wrought dialogue that I personally love but can understand why other people wouldn't like. "No one talks like real people" doesn't say much, the movie isn't aiming anywhere in the realm of realism. It's cool to be disappointed by that, but it's not objectively bad dialogue because of it.

I like most of the hammy dialogue, but there are some points where it just annoys the poo poo outta me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Screen Door Slams posted:

There's fun, and then there's talking in a way utterly unlike any human being ever would. If the line had been "We don't have a chimney," I'd have been 100% on board with that scene. It would have been great. But there is not a human being alive that would say "we have no chimney" in that situation.

The dialogue wasn't great, but I feel like you're projecting there.

"Are you parked in the garage?" "We have no garage."

"We have no mailbox."

"I can't eat cereal today, we have no milk."

There are tons of human beings alive who would say that, seems like a strange line to focus on.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

That, and the "I break up with you" line isn't her failing to say "I'm breaking up with you"; the line literally means "you don't get to make that decision, it's MY decision to break up with you. In a breakup situation, I will break up with you." Which raises the problem of that being a little controlling and abusive; then again, she's a character who is very preoccupied with making sure people don't make her life decisions for her.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Hewlett posted:

That, and the "I break up with you" line isn't her failing to say "I'm breaking up with you"; the line literally means "you don't get to make that decision, it's MY decision to break up with you. In a breakup situation, I will break up with you." Which raises the problem of that being a little controlling and abusive; then again, she's a character who is very preoccupied with making sure people don't make her life decisions for her.

I also got the feeling between ASM1 & 2 that Peter has done this a handful of times. Freaks out about the promise, breaks up with her, and comes back to her. I got the vibe she was finally fed up with it and said enough is enough.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
^^^^Exactly

Hewlett posted:

That's not what it means at all. She's essentially saying that he keeps hemming and hawing and breaking up with her, then coming back. This time she breaks up with him, not vice versa.

"[This time] I break up with YOU."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vintimus Prime posted:

I also got the feeling between ASM1 & 2 that Peter has done this a handful of times. Freaks out about the promise, breaks up with her, and comes back to her. I got the vibe she was finally fed up with it and said enough is enough.

It should be More Than A Feeling as she says exactly that. I can't quote her verbatim but she says "you always do this" / "you keep doing this".

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Comfortador posted:

^^^^Exactly

That's not what it means at all. She's essentially saying that he keeps hemming and hawing and breaking up with her, then coming back. This time she breaks up with him, not vice versa.

"[This time] I break up with YOU."

Sorry, I thought that was what I was conveying. ["you don't get to make that decision, it's MY decision to break up with you."], THEREFORE [I break up with YOU].

Then again, I think I missed the part where they establish the on-again-off-again nature of the breakups; it was hard for me to hear the dialogue during that particular scene because of a really troublesome crowd (e.g. little kids crying, talking loudly, Icee slurping) directly surrounding me during my screening of the film.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 13, 2014

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I actually liked how they immediately addressed the ending of "promises are made to be broken" from #1 right in the beginning of #2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

And yet, it's a better movie than the extremely colorful yet visually indistinct Amazing Spider-Man 2.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
I'm so glad they condensed I don't wanna be Spider-man anymore, okay a lot of bad stuff is happening, people actually miss me, okay I guess I can be Spider-man again into the outro of the movie because I really did not fancy dealing with that for the entire first half of ASM3.

MyronGognitti
Jun 15, 2008

by zen death robot

Surlaw posted:

"No one talks like real people" doesn't say much, the movie isn't aiming anywhere in the realm of realism.

Except wasn't the whole complaint about the Raimi movies from ASM fans that they were too cheesy and unrealistic? I've heard that a lot.

The cheesiest moments in those movies were still owned by Raimi and are substantially far better than any of the overwrought crap that makes up the dialogue in Amazing Spider-Man movies.

Whenever Raimi does something stupid, you can tell he's doing it with a wink and a nod. Whenever Webbs movies do something stupid, you're sure it's because he and whoevers writing them are incompetent.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MyronGognitti posted:

Whenever Raimi does something stupid, you can tell he's doing it with a wink and a nod. Whenever Webbs movies do something stupid, you're sure it's because he and whoevers writing them are incompetent.

How do you tell? I think this film is perfectly aware of when it's being cheesy and melodramatic.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

MyronGognitti posted:

Except wasn't the whole complaint about the Raimi movies from ASM fans that they were too cheesy and unrealistic? I've heard that a lot.
Yeah people made that complaint but they're crazy.

Amazing Spider-Man 1 has weird tone issues, 2 fully embraces its corniness and is totally aware in the same way Raimi's films are and it's great because of it. The film doesn't play a dubstep remix of Itsy Bitsy Spider set to the pulse of Electro's blasts because of incompetence.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The end-credits Rhino fight start actually had me thinking of the final speech/charge at the end of 300. Nonsense platitudes and the beginning of what would be a fun fight to watch getting cut off by credits.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MyronGognitti posted:

I can understand cheesy but anyone looking for a realistic movie about a kid with spider powers is ridiculous.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
ASM3 should tackle that pretty horrific Changes storyline from Spectacular Spiderman (?) where he literally changes into a giant spider. And treat it like a Kafka-esque psychological drama.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Electromax posted:

ASM3 should tackle that pretty horrific Changes storyline from Spectacular Spiderman (?) where he literally changes into a giant spider. And treat it like a Kafka-esque psychological drama.

6-armed Spider-Man story, introduce Morbius to the ASM universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Everyone wants Emma Stone back, so Sins Past or Clone Saga would be perfect. You could even bring back Chris Cooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My total pipe dream plot is to have Morbius and Man-Wolf in a film, ostensibly about Spider-Man trying to figure out where they came from and to revert John Jameson back to human form, only to find out that John was kidnapped in order to sell the public on the idea that he had indeed transformed when instead these two monsters are revealed to be hoaxes of Mysterio's.

Obviously this requires a kind of Iron Man 3 fake-out and much wailing about how Morbius and Man-Wolf weren't treated as "real" but the only good Mysterio plot to me is when you don't know Mysterio's at the end of it, and that's nearly impossible without being able to sell the movie-goers on some other villains as red herrings. And I think Morbius and Man-Wolf are simultaneously high-profile enough to get people reasonably excited about the movie but also low-rung enough to be worthy of sacrificing to Mysterio.

• Locked thread