Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Jedit posted:

Who mentioned fault? The straw man is the argument that because some soldiers committed crimes, the IRA can be considered soldiers because they committed crimes too. Just because someone wasn't punished as much as they should have been doesn't mean that someone who is being justly punished should be punished less.

Well while that would be a splendid example of a straw man, it's not actually what I said, was it?

Nowhere in my post will you find me suggesting that "the IRA can be considered soldiers because they committed crimes too". All I was, and still am, saying is that the British establishment will always seek to excuse behaviour amongst people it considers it's own while condemning the same behaviour amongst those designated 'the enemy'.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Answers Me posted:

It somehow passed me by (or I'd gladly forgotten) that Nick Griffin was an elected MEP until I saw this in the suggested videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE6u9OCPK1Y

How the hell did that happen? :negative:

'Protest vote'

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Robot Mil posted:

How does this actually change anything or make it a 'fair deal'? OK it's good that agencies will have to publish their fees, but they are still charging ridiculous fees for things that they shouldn't and publishing them won't change that. If they had shame or people had more choice, maybe, but they don't.
Well the main problem is that they always keep your deposit so they can do a free refit, they hire a pro cleaning service for a full treatment even if you have done an great spring clean (which i gave up bovering on years ago when i realised how pointless it was) then they get the painters and decoraters to give it a once over and thats your deposit gone. cunts. i just stopped bothering paying their last months rent when i moved, said sorry im late and just hosed off leaving them with my deposit to cover the last month.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Answers Me posted:

It somehow passed me by (or I'd gladly forgotten) that Nick Griffin was an elected MEP until I saw this in the suggested videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE6u9OCPK1Y

How the hell did that happen? :negative:

PR. Thank gently caress this ignorant-rear end, blinded, stupefied country is not actually calling the shots. Thank gently caress for small mercies.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seaside Loafer posted:

said sorry im late and just hosed off leaving them with my deposit to cover the last month.

do you leave a deposit at the train station as well?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JFairfax posted:

do you leave a deposit at the train station as well?

no he takes it with him

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

twoot posted:

BNP Youth - Fight Back

:tviv: these videos can get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oczj6thd4CY

:qq::qq: whites are being oppressed :qq::qq:

To be honest, I completely agree with this video, What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence and reproduction of our race and our people, the sustenance of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the fatherland, so that our people may mature for the fulfillment of the mission allotted it by the creator of the universe. Every thought and every idea, every doctrine and all knowledge, must serve this purpose. And everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.

Haha oh wait I quoted Mein Kampf and it totally wouldn't look out of place in a response to that video.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

twoot posted:

BNP Youth - Fight Back

:tviv: these videos can get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oczj6thd4CY

:qq::qq: whites are being oppressed :qq::qq:

Ugh, I'm really trying to wean myself off any judgement of a person based on their appearance.

But when every one of those kids showed up, I thought "this is your loving master race right here? this is your loving perfect aryan hitler youth? LOL" or "where the gently caress is your chin".

I got to the one spouting off about cultural marxism and had to skip it because of the shadenfreude.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The weird thing is a bunch of them are pretty obviously webcam footage, so the whole thing looks like some internet project. Record yourself reading out this poo poo, and you'll be a superstar! I also feel sorry for a lot of them, they're really young and I bet some of them have no idea what they've become a part of

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Here's Britain First's European election strategy video from their... leader?

It calls English people living in Scotland and Wales "multicultural refugees" and says that their reasons behind standing only in Scotland and Wales is to get a PEB (which makes sense) and spends a bunch of it talking about how there are a bunch of English people in Scotland...

e: haha they're calling a 15 line call centre "very modern"

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 13, 2014

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

baka kaba posted:

The weird thing is a bunch of them are pretty obviously webcam footage, so the whole thing looks like some internet project. Record yourself reading out this poo poo, and you'll be a superstar! I also feel sorry for a lot of them, they're really young and I bet some of them have no idea what they've become a part of

Yeah - it's really sad.

I mean, I held some pretty lovely opinions at that age. Not as lovely AS THAT, but still, lovely. Most of them will turn their back on those opinions, a couple of them will continue to be terrible people.

Call me thick, but I didn't realise BNP were a platform against homosexuality either. Thought all they cared about was them foreigners!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Convexed posted:

Yeah - it's really sad.

I mean, I held some pretty lovely opinions at that age. Not as lovely AS THAT, but still, lovely. Most of them will turn their back on those opinions, a couple of them will continue to be terrible people.

Call me thick, but I didn't realise BNP were a platform against homosexuality either. Thought all they cared about was them foreigners!

They're literal Nazis. Remember the pink triangles?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

DesperateDan posted:

Ugh, I'm really trying to wean myself off any judgement of a person based on their appearance.

But when every one of those kids showed up, I thought "this is your loving master race right here? this is your loving perfect aryan hitler youth? LOL" or "where the gently caress is your chin".

Love this quote, reread it recently.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Convexed posted:

I didn't know that either, but I'm hardly surprised. Why is it always homosexuals trying to destroy our families and ruin our society though? Does being gay always come with an agenda?

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Acceptance of the homogays is Cultural Marxism, itself a Jewish, Communist (Jewish) plot to destroy the White race.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Radio Prune posted:

Acceptance of the homogays is Cultural Marxism, itself a Jewish, Communist (Jewish) plot to destroy the White race.

I like cultural Marxism. It's like Marxism with a cinema.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH

IceAgeComing posted:

Here's Britain First's European election strategy video from their... leader?

It calls English people living in Scotland and Wales "multicultural refugees" and says that their reasons behind standing only in Scotland and Wales is to get a PEB (which makes sense) and spends a bunch of it talking about how there are a bunch of English people in Scotland...

e: haha they're calling a 15 line call centre "very modern"

It's great how they're describing the decision to stand only in Scotland and Wales as a "strategy" rather than "all we can afford".

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

big scary monsters posted:

I didn't know that either, but I'm hardly surprised. Why is it always homosexuals trying to destroy our families and ruin our society though? Does being gay always come with an agenda?

Gays are traitors because they don't breed and therefore don't secure a future for the white race.

This is literally what they believe. I did a lot of volunteer work with HNH and you hear this kind of rhetoric all the time. It would be laughable if it wasn't so toxic.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Its actually quite clever to decide to stand only in the two parts of the UK that give you access to a PEB (I know NI does, but I doubt that they have any members and I don't know what you need in order to get one there due to the different electoral system and such) since it means that you can produce something like that and get more media attention due to people getting offended by the poo poo that they peddle. Its the reason that they chose "Remember Lee Rigby" as their election slogan: they'll get more attention because people will get rightly offended at a fascist group using a terrorist attack to try and win votes. It'll not win them elections, but will get them members, and thus cash.

...its something that you'd only do if you had no money and hadn't a cats in hell's chance to win in one of the English regions that they'd get more votes in mind, but still more intelligent than what most of these groups do.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The best thing about that BNP video?

Most of the problems they cite are things which the EU regulates and attempts to solve and the UK fights. Banking regulation, runaway capitalism, monopolies, etc...

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

People may remember fartrage droning on about how his party can't be racist, because there's loads of blacks and asians in ukip?

The Guardian posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/13/british-asian-ukip-supporter-quits-party-racist-populism-sanya-jeet-thandi

A prominent British Asian supporter of Ukip has announced that she is leaving the party on the grounds that it has descended into a terrifying "form of racist populism".

Sanya-Jeet Thandi, a member of the party's youth wing who recently mounted a strong defence of Ukip on Channel 4 News, is leaving the party after the launch of a recent hard-hitting poster which warned voters that 26 million EU citizens are seeking to take their jobs.

The timing of Thandi's departure will come as a particular blow to the Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, who moved last week to counter criticisms that Ukip is playing the race card by holding a rally featuring black and minority ethnic council candidates.

In a Guardian article Thandi writes: "In reality, however, the direction in which the party is going is terrifying: Ukip has descended into a form of racist populism that I cannot bring myself to vote for. This week I decided to leave the party and I will abstain from voting in the upcoming European elections. I urge other Ukip supporters to do the same."

The former Ukip supporter said she had been alarmed by a recent party poster which featured a large finger pointing at the camera next to the words: "26m people in Europe are looking for work. And whose jobs are they after?"

Thandi writes: "The … poster epitomises where the party is going wrong. This anti-immigrant campaign undermines Ukip's claim not to be a racist party. They are turning the election into a game of 'us' and 'them'. Well, I am with 'them'."

She writes that she joined Ukip's youth wing three years ago because she believes in liberal ideas such as lower taxes, a smaller state and an "immigration policy that offered fair and equal opportunities for everyone". Thandi writes: "Yes, Ukip is still a relatively young party. No, that is not an excuse to allow racists to stand for election. Nor is it an excuse to exploit the ignorance in British society and indulge the racist vote by telling them 'they'll take your jobs'. Sorry Ukip, you've lost another vote."

well, there's one less for the parties at toad hall

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 13, 2014

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

Jury trials for terrorism-related offences were suspended after both Protestant and Catholic groups began issuing death threats to jurors, so they made their own bed there. And they were charged with crimes; Sands was convicted for possession of a handgun, which was all they could pin on him despite him being caught fleeing a gun battle with the RUC.

You don't need to tell me how hosed up the whole mess is, because my family have been hit by both sides. One of my grandmothers had a cousin murdered by the IRA during World War II; the other was a Catholic who fled Ireland in the 1930s in fear of sectarian violence and spent seventy years too scared to go home. So yeah, I do get pissed off when clueless idiots like General China start talking about how wonderful it is that someone has invoked Saint Bobby Sands, Glorious Hero of the Revolution, in order to "stick it to the Man".

I don't think I'm a clueless idiot, but that is probably what a clueless idiot would think, so I'll admit it.

General China fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 13, 2014

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

General China posted:

I don't think I'm a clueless idiot, but that is probably what a clueless idiot would think, so I'll leave that question open. I have to question why somebody would be too scared to return to any part of Ireland for 70 years. I mean the numbers just don't add up. Where they a young adult in the 30s? That would make them 90 odd years old when they felt brave enough to return. The history confuses me too. They must have had quite an infirm constitution to be scared of sectarian violence that never happened in the 1930s.

The 1935 July Riots in Belfast forced thousands of people from their homes and whole neighbourhoods where destroyed, the Depression whipped up quite a lot of low level sectarian violence in Belfast. I can understand someone not wanting to return to Belfast after their house gets burned down by an angry mob.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Not gonna lie I can cross Falls to go to the butchers in Shankill fairly easily but I would loving not like to be around during any July of any year in Belfast.

I really hope nothing kicks off after Adams arrest too, there were a few unpleasant rumblings.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

kustomkarkommando posted:

The 1935 July Riots in Belfast forced thousands of people from their homes and whole neighbourhoods where destroyed, the Depression whipped up quite a lot of low level sectarian violence in Belfast. I can understand someone not wanting to return to Belfast after their house gets burned down by an angry mob.

Fair enough- I got it wrong.

Sorry, Jedit.

General China fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 13, 2014

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Not gonna lie I can cross Falls to go to the butchers in Shankill fairly easily but I would loving not like to be around during any July of any year in Belfast.

They tried re-branding the twelfth as a family friendly holiday a couple of years back and launched a big PR campaign trying to encourage tourism. Suprisingly "Orangefest" didn't really take off.

Britain First actually has some very strong connections to Loyalism, The first time I heard about Paul Golding was when he started popping up in Belfast during the flag protests waving collection buckets.

Here he is with resident loyalist poo poo-stain Willie Frazer during the flag protests, the cardboard cut-out is BNP fundraiser/Britain First organiser Jim Dowson. Dowson and Frazer formed the Protestant Coalition at the height of the protests (Golding was listed as the groups treasurer on official documents). I'm kind of surprised Britain First hasn't bothered running in NI as they do have some pretty strong connections with more extreme political elements here. UKIP is making a fair crack at it even though they won't get many votes, Belfast has been plastered with UKIP posters in the last couple of days (I counted 4 alone on the road into Belfast yesterday)

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 14, 2014

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

Alecto posted:

You're right, how dare people with leftist opinions not simply shut up and accede to those who disagree with them and single-handedly, entirely without other factors, allow Thatcher to increase a majority off the back of a decreased vote share. Politicians should just all sit in the centre and do whatever the gently caress flies through the mind of the average Joe this week, none of this leading, persuading, educating nonsense. Just like Thatcher, she certainly didn't secure a big election win off of a radical platform, nor did she do anything radical while in office. Yep, centrism is truly the only way to go.

Painfully over the top sarcasm aside, are you really going to deny the relativity of a spectrum and simply say people not in the middle have different opinions because they're stupid? You can't tell people that their perceptions are wrong, only have your own differing ones.

You're right, but if so New Labour would have probably happened after the next election anyway. Still, country would be better off delaying all that by a term.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

Bozza posted:

Love this quote, reread it recently.

Haha yes. Preacher has quite a bit of hosed-up poo poo in it as I remember but I think I'll give it a re-read anyway.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

Well the main problem is that they always keep your deposit so they can do a free refit, they hire a pro cleaning service for a full treatment even if you have done an great spring clean (which i gave up bovering on years ago when i realised how pointless it was) then they get the painters and decoraters to give it a once over and thats your deposit gone. cunts.

This is hilariously illegal btw - and if you ever take them to arbitration they'd be hosed unless you were a disgusting wreck of a pig, but they tend to run under the assumption that renters, especially renters who are busy moving, don't have the time or money to be able to fight their case. Never ever deal with an estate agent who's not a member of ARLA - this is a sign that they're the sort of estate agent who specialises in having batshit insane landlords on the books (the ones who are totally happy to bend the law until it breaks because tenants are filthy scum who'll bilk an honest landlord wherever possible)

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

ookiimarukochan posted:

assumption that renters, especially renters who are busy moving, don't have the time or money to be able to fight their case
Well exactly, its just the easiest effort solution. Im aware of all the loving take before and after picture stuff and blah blah but ive been stiffed by agencies so many times i have no problem with doing what ive done. Got a life to live, dont really need to be in loving mediation for months on end. They can have the deposit, they just dont get the last months rent.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Seaside Loafer posted:

Well exactly, its just the easiest effort solution. Im aware of all the loving take before and after picture stuff and blah blah but ive been stiffed by agencies so many times i have no problem with doing what ive done. Got a life to live, dont really need to be in loving mediation for months on end. They can have the deposit, they just dont get the last months rent.

Sometimes it's necessary. My brother's former landlord recently attempted to claim £3000 in repairs when he moved, he let them think he had no evidence before promptly getting the case thrown out first day in court, landing the landlord gently caress all but the legal fees.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Spangly A posted:

I really hope nothing kicks off after Adams arrest too, there were a few unpleasant rumblings.

A friend of mine who's doing his PhD research about contemporary loyalist communities has been saying that he expects this marching season to unpleasant, unresolved feelings of disempowerment amongst certain loyalists combined with unemployment dont make for a good mix. A bad marching season doesn't meant it will kick off in a way that carries on afterwards at all though.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

DesperateDan posted:

People may remember fartrage droning on about how his party can't be racist, because there's loads of blacks and asians in ukip?

I just want to know how minorities end up in or supporting UKIP. I can understand it for this girl since she's young but I can't understand an adult supporting a party that specifically holds them in contempt.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Broniki posted:

I just want to know how minorities end up in or supporting UKIP. I can understand it for this girl since she's young but I can't understand an adult supporting a party that specifically holds them in contempt.

They're small business owners, or closely related to small business owners, who think that the economic policies of parties like UKIP will benefit them, and their families. If they're 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, it's probably because they are attempting to integrate with the establishment to avoid being treated like poo poo (this of course doesn't work).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Broniki posted:

A few days ago she was defending UKIP strongly on C4, I doubt she had a Damascene conversion and has either been plotting this in the knowledge ukip were racist for ages (but still went on TV to defend them), or maybe she wanted a few minutes of fame before she hops ship the the tories, knowing that after the euro elections, or something happens to fartrage ukip are done.

For other people? I don't know, I don't think its beyond consideration that some know they are being used as token minorities and simply look past that because they might get a cushy/powerful position.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Sometimes it's necessary. My brother's former landlord recently attempted to claim £3000 in repairs when he moved, he let them think he had no evidence before promptly getting the case thrown out first day in court, landing the landlord gently caress all but the legal fees.

We got shafted by a private Landlord in Walthamstow a few years ago - granted, we'd hosed a few things up (why they insist on light beige carpets/white furniture everywhere in a rented house I don't know) and we're happy to take the hit for them, but she kept the entire deposit and sent a laundry list of things that were wear and tear (slightly loose stair handrail, bathroom window cracking due to temperature differences, poo poo like that) accusing us of smashing the place up. It was a loving joke some of the poo poo she was calling out, but given the other two idiots I lived with decided they weren't staying about a week before lease renewal and I was going on holiday, not a great deal we could do about it.

I went back two weeks later to drop keys off and lo and behold, our deposits paying for a new bathroom, despite the 'old' one being no more than a year old. ALAB.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I had a similar situation. Our flat was quite run down and the landlord took a fair chunk of the deposit, apparently to fix a lot of damage and clean the carpets etc. A few months later we got a call saying everything had been ripped out and replaced and that they were looking for reliable tenants...obviously the deposit wasn't used to fix anything at all, just fund the renovation.

This was also the landlord who left loads of her stuff in the flat, wanted her mother to stay with us while visiting from abroad, and wanted the flat back for 1 week for herself while she was also visiting from abroad. I don't think she understood that while we were living there it was our flat and not her own personal hotel.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 14, 2014

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I had a landlord once who kept all his paperwork in the loft in my flat, rented it as furnished but couldn't get the sofa he bought into the flat so that I had to bring my own sofa from storage, then accused me of stealing my own sofa when I left, took me "out to dinner" to basically infer to me that he was part of the Croydon mafia, and kept ringing me at work to threaten me about beating the money out of me for the furniture after I left.

I did, however, rent via a letting agency who for once were totally on my side, changed the locks so he couldn't come and go as he pleased and informed him of my rights. So there was that at least.

Also rented a flat where one of the bedrooms was locked, as a shrine to the son who had died in it. The door was glass panelled. Not at all creepy.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 14, 2014

ReActor
Jun 1, 2000

MEANIE

El Pollo Blanco posted:

They're small business owners, or closely related to small business owners, who think that the economic policies of parties like UKIP will benefit them, and their families. If they're 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, it's probably because they are attempting to integrate with the establishment to avoid being treated like poo poo (this of course doesn't work).
Also, in my experience, I would say that first generation immigrants who are small business owners most certainly CAN be supporters of UKIP - particularly if they have lived in the UK for a few decades and prospered from it. I mean, that's long enough to become a conservative who's wistful of the Thatcher years. There seems to be an undercurrent in their thinking that when they arrived they worked hard for a living, not like those slovenly Romanians.

Also, despite all the attempts by the media to paint UKIP as xenophobic, I think there are plenty of people who still see them as representing a cautious view of EU immigration policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Betjeman posted:

Also rented a flat where one of the bedrooms was locked, as a shrine to the son who had died in it. The door was glass panelled. Not at all creepy.

This sounds like the beginning of a Hitchcock film.

• Locked thread