Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The game runs fine on max settings. It seems to be locked at a max of 60fps during gameplay, 30fps during cutscenes. I recorded a video that I'll try to get rendered and uploaded today so people can see. It has a tutorial and Shu 1 (YTR).

I haven't run into any bugs or problems starting more than one level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, it's running fine for me too. The controls are a bit confusing at first because of the weird icons, but they're easy enough to figure out by playing the tutorial. Lu Bu is listed as the first campaign, should I do his before doing the different Kingdoms' campaigns or after?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

PureRok posted:

The game runs fine on max settings. It seems to be locked at a max of 60fps during gameplay, 30fps during cutscenes. I recorded a video that I'll try to get rendered and uploaded today so people can see. It has a tutorial and Shu 1 (YTR).

I haven't run into any bugs or problems starting more than one level.

Glad to hear it, I'm in the middle of downloading it right now (only ten hours to go :suicide:) and got worried when I saw that Jim Sterling tweet.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Lu Bu is listed as the first campaign, should I do his before doing the different Kingdoms' campaigns or after?
People seem to say to do Lu Bu's last. Jin should definitely come after you've done Shu, Wu, and Wei. They don't matter very much what order you do them in. I usually do them Shu, Wu, then Wei, since Wei transitions into Jin pretty well (since they're related). Others say to just alternate between Shu, Wu, and Wei. Like, Shu 1 then Wu 1 then Wei 1.

Just, do Lu Bu's last is mostly what I've heard consistently.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Cool. Kinda dumb that they list it first then, but whatever.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've had DW8 for about a week now and I think 7 was better in every possible way. The story was told better, the menus and options were more clearly defined, and what is up with the weapon crafting system? That's real bad. I'll still plat this out of sheer retard will and stubbornness.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PureRok posted:

People seem to say to do Lu Bu's last. Jin should definitely come after you've done Shu, Wu, and Wei. They don't matter very much what order you do them in. I usually do them Shu, Wu, then Wei, since Wei transitions into Jin pretty well (since they're related). Others say to just alternate between Shu, Wu, and Wei. Like, Shu 1 then Wu 1 then Wei 1.

Just, do Lu Bu's last is mostly what I've heard consistently.

Lu Bu last is because it starts you out at a higher level, so you will get weapons that will make you really powerful if you go back and do the other campaigns. Plus, playing the 3 campaigns first gives you context as to why Lu Bu owns so much.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Cool. Kinda dumb that they list it first then, but whatever.

The only reason that may prevent you from doing Lu Bu's content first is that it starts at level 30 I think so you get ridiculous weapon drops that just break the other story modes. If you don't play these games for the challenge though then feel free to go be Lu Bu and pals if you want.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've had DW8 for about a week now and I think 7 was better in every possible way. The story was told better, the menus and options were more clearly defined, and what is up with the weapon crafting system? That's real bad. I'll still plat this out of sheer retard will and stubbornness.

I love Storm Rush too much now to go back even though 7's overall presentation was better.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I've never played any version of DW8, are Dong Zhuo and Zhang Jiao unlocked at the start? Because if so I'm playing as them first so that history can get as hosed up as possible.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I agree. 7 is the one I recommend to people who can't decide between 7 or 8 when getting back into the series since the PS2 era. The only thing I like more about 8 is the ability to choose who you play as (even if it's only a small choice) per level.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PureRok posted:

I agree. 7 is the one I recommend to people who can't decide between 7 or 8 when getting back into the series since the PS2 era. The only thing I like more about 8 is the ability to choose who you play as (even if it's only a small choice) per level.

Plus no coop in 7's campaign is completely lame. The only way to do it is through XL, but even then it is a really idiotic setup where you have to individually select and play every story level, and even then only after you have already beaten it single player.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Can anyone tell me if the game has online coop like the PS3 version?

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Can anyone tell me if the game has online coop like the PS3 version?

Looknig at the forums it apparently doesn't, makes me pretty sad since it was one of the main reasons I was happy it was coming to PC.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Ok, this I did not expect.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I suspect it is a slow day.

I like 8 better for all the little combat and quality of life improvements (Holding down the call horse button to mount is a godsend), but yeah in terms of campaign 7 is a better package.

Also, I am playing the PS4 version, and yes it doesn't look that much better than the last Gen version, and it seems to struggle sometime, particularly during fire attacks. That said, the number of dudes it can handle is amazing and makes everything worth it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 13, 2014

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I have 8XLCE on the top of my wishlist but I can't really justify pulling the trigger at $50. Am I better off waiting for a sale if I already own 7?

Edit: Dewgy's post pushes me closer to buying it since one of my complaints about 7 was that once you get past the campaign there really wasn't that much more.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 13, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Having only picked up 8XLCE and not played any of them for a while, I'm kind of amazed how much content this drat game has. It seems shallow on the surface but there's so much poo poo to do. Just finished the Shu campaign, and apparently there's more story levels for every single campaign even after the main stories end unless I'm reading the menus wrong? Like, fights where I get to play as Cao Pi after Cao Cao has an offscreen brain tumor and dies during the other kingdom's campaigns.

Ambition Mode is also really fun so far. Had to start off as Pang Tong because he's a crazy weirdo with a sweet hat, and it sucked to see him kick it in the main campaign. Few things in this game feel more badass than recruiting five playable officers in a single fight. :black101:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gimnbo posted:

I have 8XLCE on the top of my wishlist but I can't really justify pulling the trigger at $50. Am I better off waiting for a sale if I already own 7?

Yeah, just wait for a steam sale. It'll probably be off for 25% or something.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Ambition Mode is also really fun so far. Had to start off as Pang Tong because he's a crazy weirdo with a sweet hat, and it sucked to see him kick it in the main campaign. Few things in this game feel more badass than recruiting five playable officers in a single fight. :black101:

Ambition Mode is pretty great, yeah. It seems they spent the most time on it and it became the main draw over the campaign

Daikatana Ritsu fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 13, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ambition Mode seems like it's got some of the more addicting aspects of how Warriors Orochi 3 handled recruitment. You just keep getting bigger and better and eventually everyone works for you?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
The best part of the CE is, once you complete "base" Ambition mode (which is a lot of content by itself) you get to play the new, highly expanded, super fun Xtreme Legends Ambition Mode too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Speedball posted:

Ambition Mode seems like it's got some of the more addicting aspects of how Warriors Orochi 3 handled recruitment. You just keep getting bigger and better and eventually everyone works for you?

Sun Ce, Sun Quan, Cao Cao, and Liu Bei all work for me now, so yeah it's pretty cool.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Uploading a gameplay video of the PC version at max settings. It'll be done uploading in about 90-ish minutes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PC version seems totally fine. It's not the best port ever, but it's way better than I was expecting.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Still seeing mixed answers on whether or not this game has online play/coop, or local only. Anyone know?

khorma
Jun 23, 2011

khorma fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 4, 2021

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That's surely going to be patched in later, right? I mean, it's nuts to leave it out. It's the whole point of being on PC.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
The only thing I can't stand about Ambition Mode, or 8 in general is dealing with the required tedium of having to routinely sell off the weapon drops between fights.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Stelas posted:

That's surely going to be patched in later, right? I mean, it's nuts to leave it out. It's the whole point of being on PC.

Don't hold your breath, dude.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stelas posted:

I thought the point of it being on PC was oceans of dudes with no slowdown.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dewgy posted:

I thought the point of it being on PC was oceans of dudes with no slowdown.

I thought the point was to put it on a third, viable market for people that never touched last generation's consoles.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tae posted:

I thought the point was to put it on a third, viable market for people that never touched last generation's consoles.

Gotta admit that being a Koei Warriors fan with an Xbox was some lame poo poo.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tae posted:

"Recruiting enemy officers" is the proper term I think. :haw:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Don't hold your breath, dude.

It'd be nice to imagine if only because the Big DW8 Chart listed online co-op for all modes, but that was just for PS4 and Vita. Oh well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone else not been able to pause in the PC port? I've tried keyboard and controller bindings and nothing happens.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
Was asked a page ago but I didn't see an answer, are any of the DLC costumes in the PC version? Is that what "Complete Edition" means? Need "Zhou Yu as a Sommelier" and "Xiahou Yuan as a forensics technician."

Although, looking at the Koei wiki, DW8 might not have as great costumes as DW7 and WO3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has anyone else not been able to pause in the PC port? I've tried keyboard and controller bindings and nothing happens.

It's F1 for some reason.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 13, 2014

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Played for 2 hours. No technical issues whatsoever. Game looks good (for being a DW game). Using a 360 controller so prompts are weird, but the game controls are simple enough anyway.

Lu Bu is still an rear end.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ExMortis posted:

Was asked a page ago but I didn't see an answer, are any of the DLC costumes in the PC version? Is that what "Complete Edition" means? Need "Zhou Yu as a Sommelier" and "Xiahou Yuan as a forensics technician."

Although, looking at the Koei wiki, DW8 might not have as great costumes as DW7 and WO3.

Currently none of the complete editions have any costume DLC's, it's quite unfortunate. They're supposed to be working on them, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One thing I thought was kind of keen about DW Next was its DLC costumes were all modern-day outfits, and every single one of the 70+ characters had some different amusing outfit. A different sports outfit for every sport, doctors, firefighters, wrestlers, tuxedoes, think I even saw a wedding dress in there somewhere.