Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Here's that gameplay video. The first 10.5 minutes are the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll1OcfToVdY&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Note that DW Next was derived from DW7, so the DLCs originated there, though the modern-day outfits theme remained for 8, just ranging from restaurant Sun clan (except for Sun Quan the scuba diver) to tokusatsu sentai Shu, Wei Yan as villain-of-the-week and Liu Shan the generic-mook, guest-starring Liu Bei as not-really-Zordon...

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The DLC costumes in 8 are really great. http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8/DLC

e: still the best

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 13, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
How's the Vita version of 8 run? Going on a trip soon, and I'm debating picking it up, but if it's better to get on the PC I might look into that instead. I tried looking through the thread but mostly found info on the PC version.

Mostly I'm concerned about slowdown and/or things not loading in properly. I know 8 is a game I want, I'm just not sure what the best system to get it on is.

Especially if I can get the costumes like that. I like costumes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hah, a modern paratrooper but still with the ornate stuff on top of that as an embellishment? Nice.

I wonder, if they really do re-release WO3-Ultimate if they'll spring for English voice actors or not. I don't care THAT much but there was a lot of conversation in WO3 when I played it and sometimes I was too busy smashing up everything to pay attention to the subtitles. Ordinarily that's not a problem but in Warriors games talking doesn't freeze the action.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
1000% positive that WO3 is never going to have an English voice track, sorry to say.

As for the Vita, the game runs fine most of the time, but fog/fire and rage attacks make the frame rate tank. Some people have actually gotten some crashes from specific musou attacks, and I've had one in the middle of a cutscene. However, most of the game works fine, and if you have other friends with Playstation versions you can coop missions with them.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

PureRok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll1OcfToVdY&hd=1

English :aaa: Was not expecting that out of another Koei game.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Can someone explain to me which of these modes in DW8XLCE I should play first and what the progression in this game is like? I enjoy the combat as silly as it is, but I've never understood what these games is all about and what people see in it. I'm willing to give it a solid chance but right now its pretty bewildering figuring out what the hell is going on. I did a story mode game with some people called Wei and I'm somehow looking at Dong Zhou holding Cao Cao and I HAVE NO CLUE WHATS GOING ON. I suppose I'll do some reading in the encyclopedia but geez, this game has such a weird barrier to entry.

Also WHAT THE HELL is going on with the weapons and the compatibilities and the affinities. Oh my god

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is my horse supposed to be this color?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Rexicon1 posted:

Also WHAT THE HELL is going on with the weapons and the compatibilities and the affinities. Oh my god
The tutorial is highly recommended if you've never played a (recent) DW game.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
Looks like a normal Red Hare to me. It definitely...stands out a bit more against dark backgrounds though, that's for sure.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You should first play the story mode, Wei/Wu/Shu in any order you want, you can also start Ambition mode once you figure out what character you like most. For the weapons and such, it's simple rock paper scissors, being blue beats green beats red beats blue. Compatibilities basically decide what weapons your characters hit harder with. Once the characters start getting more stars filled in, you should be using the 4 or 3 star compatible weapons to get the most damage out of them, as well as always making sure you have at least one slot equipped with your character's EX weapon since they get extra moves with those. For the early part of the stories you can just ignore most of that though and just mash Square/X and Triangle/Y through hundreds of Chinese peasants.

Also yeah play the tutorial/read the manual if you get lost.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

King of the Cosmos posted:

Looks like a normal Red Hare to me. It definitely...stands out a bit more against dark backgrounds though, that's for sure.

That is actually a neat bit of continuity, actually; Cao Cao gave Red Hare to Guan Yu during his brief time in his army. Never knew it appears in the Shu story.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ok, it's been a while since I've played a DW because of PC Master Race and all that, and it does look extra dayglo against that dark background.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unlucky7 posted:

That is actually a neat bit of continuity, actually; Cao Cao gave Red Hare to Guan Yu during his brief time in his army. Never knew it appears in the Shu story.

Guan Yu thanked him for the gift because the fastest horse in the land would let him get back to Liu Bei even faster so he could be totally not gay with him.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ok, it's been a while since I've played a DW because of PC Master Race and all that, and it does look extra dayglo against that dark background.

I was so happy when I realized I had that horse after I picked Guan Yu on that stage. Off screen continuity! :allears:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can actually jump some low walls and break some scripting with Red Hare. All the castle walls in Lu Bu's final canon story come to mind.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

Guan Yu thanked him for the gift because the fastest horse in the land would let him get back to Liu Bei even faster so he could be totally not gay with him.
And all after Cao Cao throws his son under the bus at the start of Episode 24!

quote:

Cao Cao: Over the last two years, Cao Pi has been begging and begging for this horse, but I wouldn't bear to give it away. Son, how did I put it? :v:
Cao Pi: Father, you said that I am not worthy enough for Red Hare. :qq:
Cao Cao: You are indeed not worthy enough for it! This horse is meant for a brave warrior, not the likes of you! :haw:
In the novel Cao Cao immediately regrets it, but in the TV show he uses it as a teachable moment -- telling his generals that that's that's an example of the loyalty he wants... at least, after he calls his generals back when they pretend that he'd nodded to their request to kill Guan Yu. Guan Yu admits privately to Zhang Liao later that he does recognize and intends to repay Cao Cao's benevolence -- hence Cao Cao sending him to battle against Yuan Shao, so that Yuan Shao should turn against Liu Bei as depicted in both 7 (Shu's version of Guandu) and 8.

Speaking of which, the cutscene in 7 between Guandu and Changban (Shu's versions) of Guan Yu has him leading Red Hare by the reins with no explanation given for why he suddenly has Lu Bu's old warhorse, and I don't think 8 bothers with even that little prelude.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

straight jerkers posted:

The DLC costumes in 8 are really great. http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8/DLC

e: still the best

I know people lap this stuff up but personally I can't stand it. Especially the high school uniform bullshit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of liked the romanticization that occured for Wei at the end of DW6--Sima Yi goes on to start what would be the real unifying dynasty of China, right…but in DW6 there's a scene where Sima Yi impales Cao Cao and Cao Cao laughs and says "I have one final command for you! Create a great and lasting empire! DO IT!" Sima Yi admits that it takes a lot of balls to command the very guy who is backstabbing you at that very moment, and he admits that this is probably one command he's going to have to follow down to the letter.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Speedball posted:

I kind of liked the romanticization that occured for Wei at the end of DW6--Sima Yi goes on to start what would be the real unifying dynasty of China, right…but in DW6 there's a scene where Sima Yi impales Cao Cao and Cao Cao laughs and says "I have one final command for you! Create a great and lasting empire! DO IT!" Sima Yi admits that it takes a lot of balls to command the very guy who is backstabbing you at that very moment, and he admits that this is probably one command he's going to have to follow down to the letter.

I am probably in the mid 40's of the Three Kingdoms 2010 episodes, and being aware of what a devious prick Sima Yi is, is probably ruining a significant amount of surprise that I see welling up and waiting to happen down the road.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

I know people lap this stuff up but personally I can't stand it. Especially the high school uniform bullshit.

I love it. Especially when the joke weapons match up with them.

In Japan they released the DW7 "other" (modern) costumes for DW8 XL as DLC in Japan so if you really loved something from there you can get it again. Still no word on other costumes or DLC weapons for the new characters though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

PureRok posted:

You can make your horse jump with the heavy attack button. :eng101:

It took me like 30 missions to figure that out. I was getting really tired of having to run away and re-summon it every time I wanted to get down a ledge.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Replaying WO3 one thing that sorta bugs me is the fact that new characters from the newer Warriors games getting added makes for some weird situations, like when Hanbei talks about how "we had this kind of trouble the first time we fought Orochi" and I'm sitting there going "You weren't even there!"

I think they kind of poke fun at this though with one of the conversations, where Masanori is talking to someone and he says "Back when we first fought Orochi, I don't even remember what kind of hairstyle I had."

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Prism posted:

How's the Vita version of 8 run? Going on a trip soon, and I'm debating picking it up, but if it's better to get on the PC I might look into that instead. I tried looking through the thread but mostly found info on the PC version.

Mostly I'm concerned about slowdown and/or things not loading in properly. I know 8 is a game I want, I'm just not sure what the best system to get it on is.

Especially if I can get the costumes like that. I like costumes.

Vita version has definite issues with slowdown. Whether that's a deal breaker for you or not is up to you, but I really haven't been bothered by it too much, It mainly occurs when there's a bunch of officers on screen and, oddly, in in-engine cutscenes. I've got 30 or so hours put into the game and can say the slowdown has never caused me to die or lose an objective or anything. It's an annoyance, but one I'm willing to put up with for portable DW that doesn't suck. YMMV though.

They've also been trickling out the stage DLC finally and supposedly the costumes are coming, too.

EDIT

click the ? under my name to see my posts. I know I wrote some impressions, etc when the Vita version came out, too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing the ps4 verson via remote play on a vita has no slowdown though!

It doesnt really help you much if you want to actually use your vita as a portable device

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PureRok posted:

The tutorial is highly recommended if you've never played a (recent) DW game.

I only played a bit of 7, were mechanics like Storm rage in that? Because the tutorial is telling me my pro skills at DW4 are heavily poo poo and outdated.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tae posted:

I only played a bit of 7, were mechanics like Storm rage in that? Because the tutorial is telling me my pro skills at DW4 are heavily poo poo and outdated.

No, the three weapon types weren't in 7, same with the Rage Musou mechanics.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Do not, whatever you do, hurt Lu Bu's waifu. :stare:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Orv posted:

Do not, whatever you do, hurt Lu Bu's waifu. :stare:

"Diaochan is enraged by Lu Bu's defeat!" still makes me laugh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So 2nd stage of Shu and I'm already fighting Lu Bu (on normal). Can I cheese him out with weapon switching, because I was doing okay until something happened to get my health from full to zero.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sindai posted:

You can make your horse jump with the heavy attack button. :eng101:

It took me like 30 missions to figure that out. I was getting really tired of having to run away and re-summon it every time I wanted to get down a ledge.

Horse jumping also tends to make onlookers laugh their asses off because seriously look at that horse go. Of all the ridiculous things in DW, the horse jumping is by far the silliest.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Looks like I'm running into Jim Sterling's problem.

Game loads, battle's about to start- infinite black screen and a Not Responding program. Trying running as an administrator, compatibility modes, everything. No luck! At this point, loading a stage is worked 2/25 times. I can't seem to reproduce what made it work, it just seems kind of random to me.

Has anyone else here encountered this? This issue has cropped up on the Steam forums, but no one there has a workaround.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Pang Tong's Musou Attack is the best. Especially in the middle of the room stuffed full of enemies near the end of Chengdu where I used it to rack up a >2k chain.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Tae posted:

So 2nd stage of Shu and I'm already fighting Lu Bu (on normal). Can I cheese him out with weapon switching, because I was doing okay until something happened to get my health from full to zero.

In theory, he can be killed. In practice, he doesn't flinch from anything, has a ton of health, and hits like a truck, so it's best to just avoid him.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Pang Tong's Musou Attack is the best. Especially in the middle of the room stuffed full of enemies near the end of Chengdu where I used it to rack up a >2k chain.

Zhang Jiao's 2nd ground Musou has similarly delightful results. Using it on the huge officer packs you encounter in XL's Ambition Mode is the best. :allears:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I killed him in the Wei version of the mission, it only took 30 minutes and extreme care to not get hit. Finding some captains to grind musou refills from helps a ton too.

E: Also he doesn't drop poo poo nor extra xp, so just run away.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 14, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Maleketh posted:

Zhang Jiao's 2nd ground Musou has similarly delightful results. Using it on the huge officer packs you encounter in XL's Ambition Mode is the best. :allears:

Yeah, but does he fly around on a flaming weapon while doing it? (I honestly don't know.)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

TroubledWaters posted:

Looks like I'm running into Jim Sterling's problem.

Game loads, battle's about to start- infinite black screen and a Not Responding program. Trying running as an administrator, compatibility modes, everything. No luck! At this point, loading a stage is worked 2/25 times. I can't seem to reproduce what made it work, it just seems kind of random to me.

Has anyone else here encountered this? This issue has cropped up on the Steam forums, but no one there has a workaround.

Had that happen to me immediately on starting the first Wei mission, tried switching from 1920x1080 fullscreen to 1600x900 windowed and my next load on the first Wei mission worked. The only other settings I changed were general graphics and maybe v-sync? Cranked both of them up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just killed several hundred men with the power of art. I dunno guys, Dynasty Warriors might be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just started a mission and the AI didn't activate, enemy or ally. It's easy, but soooooo boring.