Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

cremnob posted:

fuzzy mammal u can redeem ur self if u make sure hangouts remains a pos. all u have to do is make sure it stays the way it is now and doesnt become an imessage clone

if anyone on the team offers the idea up u shjould tell them its dumb and then secretly submit their résumé to a headhunter

reportin u for insider trading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

we should do another yospos hangout

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
why is chrome getting worse
like the new scrollbars for no reason that for a while differed in functionality from windows scrollbars
and the new translation menu that steals focus when it appears

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ya hangouts. it's been a fun few weeks

is s2s xmpp federation ever coming back

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

also u should get the team to kill google voice and incorporate it into hangouts but leave out key functionality so all the google apologists get mad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

iMessage is great. it's very minimal. it doesn't use a username. it's secure. it's on every iPhone. create aliases with just an email. it doesn't even boast about being "iMessage", it basically masquerades as an SMS.

it kind of just...

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

It Just Works

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

why is chrome getting worse
like the new scrollbars for no reason that for a while differed in functionality from windows scrollbars
and the new translation menu that steals focus when it appears

chrome has never been good. webkit has never been good.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
yea who wouldn't want to be redeemed in unironic sexist/homophobe cremnob's eyes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

iMessage is great. it's very minimal. it doesn't use a username. it's secure. it's on every iPhone. create aliases with just an email. it doesn't even boast about being "iMessage", it basically masquerades as an SMS.

it kind of just...

doesn't work on real people phones and computers, is therefore not good.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Install Windows posted:

agreein w/ fishmech

good lord

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

wrong again

https://www.webkit.org/blog/3362/introducing-the-webkit-ftl-jit/

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Install Windows posted:

chrome was never good but i don't understand why they're making it worse

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

chrome was never good but i don't understand why they're making it worse

targeting the buttery smooth feel of ie8 for xp

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rufus Ping posted:

is s2s xmpp federation ever coming back

ianapm, but no :ssh:

i take like 60% of the blame for it being called hangouts. when the team was split between seattle and sweden we had an internal vchat room where we would idle in the background and ask questions occasionally just like irc that i named hangout. 2 years later, welp. they did realize that talk was a better brand name, but i forget what the other reasons were to switch. they managed to convince the people whose opinions that mattered though.

Caged posted:

what does the $250 annual fee actually cover.

i think some level of actual real person on the phone type support, and to recoup some of the hardware and rnd.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i take like 60% of the blame for it being called hangouts. when the team was split between seattle and sweden we had an internal vchat room where we would idle in the background and ask questions occasionally just like irc that i named hangout. 2 years later, welp. they did realize that talk was a better brand name, but i forget what the other reasons were to switch. they managed to convince the people whose opinions that mattered though.

lmao

thats epic and shows that theres no vision or real leadership and will make it easy for u to sabotage the product

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not sure where you got all that. leadership was like, "we need to rebrand talk for reasons x,y,z. this will have consequences, including downsides a,b,c. it's still important we do this and xyz outweigh abc." where c is hangouts is a little weaker brand than talk.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
i actually don't think it's such a bad name, really. it makes sense, at least. might not be as universally easy-to-understand (or type) as 'talk' is. so should've stuck with that

Zam Wesell fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 14, 2014

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

steals focus when it appears

this literally enrages me when anything does it ever

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/13/google-glass-available-to-public/

lol they still haven't killed this boondoggle yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's literally their only piece of technology leadership at the moment

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

duTrieux. posted:

this literally enrages me when anything does it ever
its 2014, it boggles my mind that poo poo still steals focus. programmers are terrible

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Install Windows posted:

"excuse me you see signing up for g+ will hurt my freedoms therefore i will resist it forever"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

saw one in the wild today but the guy was holding hands with a female human woman person so

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PleasureKevin posted:

it kind of just...

*'works' ethereally forms in the clouds for a brief moment before ebbing away*

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

why would they kill it theres no way that $1500 pricetag is even close to losing money on the trash they sell to idiots.

it'd be like apple not selling imacs

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Install Windows posted:

lol that you think imessage is in any way good

android and PC havers cant use it to contact me so it's automatically the best messaging client regardless all other considerations

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

THC posted:

android and PC havers cant use it to contact me so it's automatically the best messaging client regardless all other considerations

sorry bout ur tism

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

THC posted:

its always nice getting someones number and then seein that chat bubble turn blue tbqh

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

qirex posted:

c'mon boys, over the top!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Install Windows posted:

why would they kill it theres no way that $1500 pricetag is even close to losing money on the trash they sell to idiots.

it'd be like apple not selling imacs

there's no possible way that the cost of the parts exceeds $300.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the only thing that might drive up the cost would be the lens setup (of which i know nothing) otherwise everything is literally just commodity phone parts in a plastic shell

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

there's no possible way that the cost of the parts exceeds $300.

honestly i'd be shocked if it's over $200.

its the soc from some phone that stopped being made in 2010 and the actual display part is apparently extremely cheap

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

was just thinking again about how similar all of this is to how the segway went down

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
one thing i heard is that they have the prices jumped up so high in part because then it helps make people "accept" the way that the explorer program aka wiating list because theres minimal production facilities. make your poo poo expensive and give it a wiating list and a certain kind of person signs the gently caress up

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

god, the loving explorer program and the way they encourage people who buy the thing to act as brand ambassadors

tricking assholes into paying them $1500 in order to evangelize/advertize the product and brand

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 14, 2014

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
give me a glass and ill xplore w/ it (cave... mountain... sea.. the mall .. sewer... etc)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

within a year we'll probably see google fund some film where google glass is an integral part of the plot, almost a character

like, maybe a paranormal murder mystery where the investigator finds the victim's Google Glass™

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

god, the loving explorer program and the way they encourage people who buy the thing to act as brand ambassadors

tricking assholes into paying them $1500 in order to evangelize/advertize the product and brand

it's a great way to make what was ultimately a money sink failed project into a profitable ending.

and the bonus is that it's gotten a ton of terrible nerds in trouble and even facing consequences for being terrible nerds for the first time in their lives. a gift to the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

within a year we'll probably see google fund some film where google glass is an integral part of the plot, almost a character

like, maybe a paranormal murder mystery where the investigator finds the victim's Google Glass™

good idea. ill make the wiki

• Locked thread