Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
So what you're saying is they told the pilots not to fly it in that part of the envelope. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SocketSeven posted:

So what you're saying is they told the pilots not to fly it in that part of the envelope. :v:

Well, they weren't supposed to be flying like that in the first place, but you know, marines...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SocketSeven posted:

Staying out of VRS is really akin to "don't stall", and yet people still fall out of the sky every day.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

evil_bunnY posted:

Staying out of VRS is really akin to "don't stall", and yet people still fall out of the sky every day.

Yeah but instead of add power and drop the nose the solution is reduce power and drop the nose. When you do that at a few hundred feet AGL your insides turn to mush very quickly. Its also much more difficult to recognize as your only reliable indication is the VSI. You don't get a really annoying horn to work with.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah but instead of add power and drop the nose the solution is reduce power and drop the nose. When you do that at a few hundred feet AGL your insides turn to mush very quickly. Its also much more difficult to recognize as your only reliable indication is the VSI. You don't get a really annoying horn to work with.

Incidentally the fix was to install a really annoying horn.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

Incidentally the fix was to install a really annoying horn.

They should just make the horn sound like an annoying teenager going "sssssssSSSSSSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHP!"

Terrible joke, I know. But honestly wouldn't that make you quit your VRS maneuver? Either that or turn the craft around and go home.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N: http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4514403-seat-on-hamilton-s-avro-lancaster-fetches-79-100/
V: Lucky bastard.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think the big issue with the ring vortex crash on the V-22 was that one rotor lost lift before the other (as might be expected; planes stall this way too with any amount of turning), and the asymmetric thrust from the other rotor put it into an uncontrolled roll at low altitude with no forward speed for the control surfaces to correct it with. A conventional helicopter would be falling like a stone, but at least you're not flipping upside down and have some chance of flying out of it.

That said, I'd be interested to see how, say, a Chinook would react in such a case.

brains
May 12, 2004

Fucknag posted:

I think the big issue with the ring vortex crash on the V-22 was that one rotor lost lift before the other (as might be expected; planes stall this way too with any amount of turning), and the asymmetric thrust from the other rotor put it into an uncontrolled roll at low altitude with no forward speed for the control surfaces to correct it with. A conventional helicopter would be falling like a stone, but at least you're not flipping upside down and have some chance of flying out of it.

That said, I'd be interested to see how, say, a Chinook would react in such a case.

a chinook really isn't going to develop VRS in one rotor system only, because it is a tandem system. you'd have to fly it in a full slip with a critical sinkrate and a shallow diving bank, aka flying sideways with airspeed while falling and turning, in which case you're well outside of the flight envelope anyways so no surprise there when it falls it out of the sky.

interesting sidenote, the way to escape settling with power in a chinook requires lateral input, as opposed to a conventional rotor system which requires forward airspeed.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

MA-Horus posted:

Just found out I'm going to be in England just in time for Flying Legends.

Tickets are sold out.

Why does god hate me.

They're not sold out, I bought two not five minutes ago. Try here:

https://www.maximweb.org/DuxfordV7_UI/SelectDay.aspx

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
When I went a few years back I just bought them on the door.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Apparently the ATC tower in Chicago caught fire? I have a friend who said her flight is delayed indefinitely.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

rscott posted:

Apparently the ATC tower in Chicago caught fire? I have a friend who said her flight is delayed indefinitely.

Fire alarm in a bathroom at ORD TRACON so they issued a ground stop, they're moving some personnel to ZAU to get things moving again.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

rscott posted:

It's at the Chicago approach control facility, which is located in Elgin, IL about 30 miles away from the airport. Friend of mine works there, but he is off today.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 13, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

"ABC NEWS posted:

Sources said a fan motor overheated in the women's lounge, which is near the control center, leading to smoke- but no fire

I know there's a Horrible Mechanical Failures thread in here, but is there a Hilarious Mechanical Failures thread?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

SocketSeven posted:

I've always liked Skycranes. They look like dragonflies. :3: Also, one of the biggest heavy lift helicopters out there.

During the bushfires in Sydney last year we had a skycrane come to the university pond to fill up on water. Did it for most of the day (needless to say very little got done that day).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzM17Tmkw9Q

What the video doesn't show is that said pond is just outside the main university hub, and there were dozens of people just sitting and watching them fly about all day.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

brains posted:

interesting sidenote, the way to escape settling with power in a chinook requires lateral input, as opposed to a conventional rotor system which requires forward airspeed.

Conventional rotorcraft can escape settling with power by (reducing collective and) gaining airspeed in any direction, not just forward. Forward is generally easiest/safest. The chinook may specify lateral for its tandem design, but single rotor aircraft can do that too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So it's confirmed, the Canadian government can't buy helicopters without loving up.

(This is not meant to be a comment on the quality of the Bell 429, about which I know nothing.)

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum has held an auction for a passenger seat on their Lancaster's trip to Britain this summer. A guy from England won it for $79000.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4514403-seat-on-hamilton-s-avro-lancaster-fetches-79-100/

the Spec posted:

Then on Aug. 4, he will join seven others — five crew and two members of a documentary film team — aboard the Lanc. After taking off from Hamilton, the warplane will make overnight stops in Newfoundland, Greenland and Iceland before finally landing in Prestwick, Scotland. It's expected they'll be in the air for 18 hours.

I hope he brings ear protection.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah and watching it knock over photographers and important people as it lands near a crowd would be kinda funny.

This actually happened a few years back during Fleet Week in NYC. One guy from the unit I was in and I were coordinating all the air stuff but luckily we didn't take any heat for it. One highlight I remember is a tree limb crashing down on some old dude; there were no serious injuries, thank God.

Here have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whngAV9igdA

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

rocket_350 posted:

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum has held an auction for a passenger seat on their Lancaster's trip to Britain this summer. A guy from England won it for $79000.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4514403-seat-on-hamilton-s-avro-lancaster-fetches-79-100/

I hope he brings ear protection.

That article should say stops in Labrador, not Newfoundland

I got amazingly excited for like 2 seconds :argh:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I donated $100 to them to fix up their Bristol Blemheim/Boilingbroke.

Its an underloved airplane, and not many exist, let alone fly. Sad thing is they are going to cut a big door in the side so the fat old guys can climb in and fly it :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I donated $100 to them to fix up their Bristol Blemheim/Boilingbroke.

Its an underloved airplane, and not many exist, let alone fly. Sad thing is they are going to cut a big door in the side so the fat old guys can climb in and fly it :(

I never tire of British naming conventions. Ships are fantastic, planes are even better. If it isn't something heroic chest-pounding like Spitfire or Typhoon, it's heraldry or ornithology or something. Quick! Scramble the Cambridgeshire-Balmoral Gadfly Petrels!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Nothing will ever beat Fairy Battle for silly British plane names in my mind.

(Yeah, I know it's spelled Fairey, but it's pronounced like the sprites, so whatever!)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There has been more than one HMS Unfatigueable (sp?), so yeah, I wholeheartedly agree.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If we're gonna get into an argument over the coolest British ship name, let me nip it in the bud with this classic.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
It's job was to carry balls. :pervert:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

bolind posted:

There has been more than one HMS Unfatigueable (sp?), so yeah, I wholeheartedly agree.

Surely that should be Indefatigable? Or did they both exist?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

It's job was to carry balls. :pervert:

I didn't know SKF was Swedish. I guess it makes sense, WWII Britain buying balls from Svenska Kullagerfabriken and not Fischers Aktien-Gesellschaft; because all the Fischers Aktien-Gesellschaft balls would have been German.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

If we're gonna get into an argument over the coolest British ship name, let me nip it in the bud with this classic.

That's a boat. :colbert:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Speaking of odd British military names, this has always popped out at me. Now, it is not a comment on the many men who have served or the accomplishments of the regiment, but when you're going down the list of names dating back to WWI, there's nothing quite like Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Aeronautical Insanity: Boats, Ships, and Gay Vikings

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

FrozenVent posted:

So it's confirmed, the Canadian government can't buy helicopters without loving up.

(This is not meant to be a comment on the quality of the Bell 429, about which I know nothing.)

Considering your government didn't neuter the Bell 429's MTOW like ours did, it's probably a really safe purchase.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Brovine posted:

Surely that should be Indefatigable? Or did they both exist?

I misremembered, seems you are right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Indefatigable

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Indefatigable is a GREAT ship name and I'll hear no different. :colbert:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Duke Chin posted:

Indefatigable is a GREAT ship name and I'll hear no different. :colbert:

I agree but it's bloody hard to pronounce. What's wrong with calling her Tireless?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Perhaps they didn't want to insult the Lebanese if they ever had to dock in their harbour!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

monkeytennis posted:

I agree but it's bloody hard to pronounce. What's wrong with calling her Tireless?
That'd just be silly. Of course it doesn't have tires, it's a boat! :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

monkeytennis posted:

I agree but it's bloody hard to pronounce

indie

fat

eeeeee

gabble

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

aaaaaand that's why US ships have poo poo names. HMS Dreadnought sounds much better than HMS Isn't-affraid-of-anything

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 15, 2014