Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Most importantly Force of Will is being printed at rare.

Well that's going to be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Niton posted:

The new Skullclamp art is just irredeemably terrible, good lord.

That wouldn't look out of place in a Star Wars prequel.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Wizards, when I say I want art to look like it did in the 90s, I mean Magic art, not lovely 3D renders.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

rabidsquid posted:

Most importantly Force of Will is being printed at rare.
It's better than them printing it at Mythic at least.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Some more vintage masters spoilers are on twitter and reddit. Skullclamp as a mythic. Balance, Living Death, Memory Jar, Chaos Warp, Goblin Goon.
Time to try out Mono Red Gobbos :whatup:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
How much would you pay for a booster/draft/box of Vintage Masters?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Niton posted:

It would probably look better in a real card frame, but blech thats awful.

And Launch the Fleets on modo makes 1/1 enchantment soldier tokens despite the card not saying enchantment at all. Please do not put a Nyx Infusion or Armament of Nyx on a fleet token if you want a 3/3 or a 1/1 with double strike.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

bhsman posted:

How much would you pay for a booster/draft/box of Vintage Masters?

On paper? $1000-$2000, ish?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I like the new Skullclamp art, but can't really say why, hmm ... I like the 90s cyberpunk vibe, I think it goes well with the flavor of the card

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Speaking about art and nostalgia for old art reminded me of a Mirage block draft Conley posted on CFB a week or two ago. He drafted one particular card that I thought had killer 'old-school' magic art, of the type that you never see anymore and I looked up other cards by the artist only to find he's only ever done 2 cards, both in Weatherlight, and they freaking own imho.

I don't know if I'm in the minority on these in particular, but I'd love to see playful (if cartoonish) art like this back in the game, even if I know there's basically 0% chance of that.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I don't mind the art concept, Mirrodin is pretty sci-fi aesthetically, but jesus did it have to look like a screencap from a Fallout 2 FMV?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't mind the art concept, Mirrodin is pretty sci-fi aesthetically, but jesus did it have to look like a screencap from a Fallout 2 FMV?

I think the "clamp" should be more menacing: have it grip the skull more or have the guy look like he's in pain. It's so absent of anything it's boring. And I must be in the minority because I often times like the "higher quality" art that's being currently made. The older stuff looks simple and amateur. I also don't like the old card template, anything after the white border is fine and it's weird Time Spiral cards with the old format is legal in Modern.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Niton posted:

I actually like the new art, don't hate me please.

Kinda sucks that it's a mythic though, I'd hate to open as my mythic a card I got for like a ticket for my Kemba EDH.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Oraculum Animi posted:

I think the "clamp" should be more menacing: have it grip the skull more or have the guy look like he's in pain. It's so absent of anything it's boring. And I must be in the minority because I often times like the "higher quality" art that's being currently made. The older stuff looks simple and amateur. I also don't like the old card template, anything after the white border is fine and it's weird Time Spiral cards with the old format is legal in Modern.

Why why whyyy couldn't it have been a Phyrexian version of the Skullclamp. :negative:

The best thing from Lorwyn/Shadowmoor was getting Shadowmoor versions of Lorwyn creatures for FNM.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Clamp is pretty good in limited though. You're either clamping to draw 2 (and burying people in CA) or beefing a guy up to trade above his weight AND drawing 2.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Oraculum Animi posted:

And I must be in the minority because I often times like the "higher quality" art that's being currently made. The older stuff looks simple and amateur. I also don't like the old card template, anything after the white border is fine and it's weird Time Spiral cards with the old format is legal in Modern.

Please don't be wrong ITT.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I like how the templating is "Whenever equipped creature dies". I know the equipped creature is going to die quite a lot, but it makes it sound like the card anticipates the same creature dying over and over.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I like the clamp, I dislike the head and the background. Odd, Ljunggren normally turns out fantastic art.

(Modern frames are better, modern art has about the same number of sweet pieces and a tenth of the dreck that old art had. Sorry if you're wrong about this).

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

You picked a lot of good art but there are the weird almost cartoony stuff that existed as well that I was mostly talking about. And a lot of those artists have work in the modern frame. I will admit that they usually use too similar color palette now a days for each pie. Most red cards are just fire fire fire.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Vomax posted:

I like how the templating is "Whenever equipped creature dies". I know the equipped creature is going to die quite a lot, but it makes it sound like the card anticipates the same creature dying over and over.

Don't let anyone fool you: there ain't but one kobold in Kher Keep.

kalamaf
Mar 1, 2007

So with the duals all being reprinted in Vintage Masters would it be a safe bet to dump my ME2 ME3 and ME4 versions and just rebuy them later?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

kalamaf posted:

So with the duals all being reprinted in Vintage Masters would it be a safe bet to dump my ME2 ME3 and ME4 versions and just rebuy them later?

I'm discussing this with a friend of mine, and there's a suspicion they might be mythic, due to the large number of mythics in this set. If they're mythic, dumping might not be wise. If they're rare, though, yeah, I plan to dump.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I like the clamp, I dislike the head and the background. Odd, Ljunggren normally turns out fantastic art.

(Modern frames are better, modern art has about the same number of sweet pieces and a tenth of the dreck that old art had. Sorry if you're I'M wrong about this).
Fixed :colbert:

He sure has a lot of thing in the foreground + smokey/hazy background, but they may be just how generic the keyrunes and staves look. His forbidden orchard is quite nice though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vomax posted:

I would think it would use Searing Blood's templating.

kalamaf
Mar 1, 2007

What a Judas posted:

I'm discussing this with a friend of mine, and there's a suspicion they might be mythic, due to the large number of mythics in this set. If they're mythic, dumping might not be wise. If they're rare, though, yeah, I plan to dump.

I'm thinking that even if they are Mythic, there will still be lots of fresh ones around due to the sheer volume of packs that will be cracked for power 9. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but is this going to be a "long term" release? Or just a short burst like Modern Masters (which if I remember right was only available in the online store for 2 weeks?)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah most of those aren't simple and amateur; they're still amazingly detailed, probably more so than a lot of modern art.

Except for stasis, stasis sucks

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

kalamaf posted:

I'm thinking that even if they are Mythic, there will still be lots of fresh ones around due to the sheer volume of packs that will be cracked for power 9. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but is this going to be a "long term" release? Or just a short burst like Modern Masters (which if I remember right was only available in the online store for 2 weeks?)

I don't think they have said any thing on it, but I can totally see them doing something so fundamentally stupid like that just so modo vintage resembles paper vintage.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Sleepy Owl posted:

Yeah most of those aren't simple and amateur; they're still amazingly detailed, probably more so than a lot of modern art.

Except for stasis, stasis sucks

Stasis is like the best piece of old Magic art, shut up

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I am fine with Ferguson if he never touches a blue card again.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
His Boomerang is a cool looking thing but I have no loving clue what object, action, or idea it's representing.

Here's a blast from the past: Forsythe's Skullclamp, We Hardly Knew Ye accompanying the banlist announcement.

To me the most hilarious part is that they didn't put Astral Slide in their FFL cycling decks either.

WHY ELSE WOULD YOU PRINT SLIDE

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Dear Vintage Masters: Please have Hymn to Tourach.

Bugsy posted:

I don't think they have said any thing on it, but I can totally see them doing something so fundamentally stupid like that just so modo vintage resembles paper vintage.

The previous Masters Editions were three month releases, I think. The difference is that 100% of the cards in Modern Masters already existsed in MODO, and a LOT of the cards in VM don't exist at all.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Kasonic posted:

His Boomerang is a cool looking thing but I have no loving clue what object, action, or idea it's representing.

Here's a blast from the past: Forsythe's Skullclamp, We Hardly Knew Ye accompanying the banlist announcement.

To me the most hilarious part is that they didn't put Astral Slide in their FFL cycling decks either.

WHY ELSE WOULD YOU PRINT SLIDE

They genuinely thought it was just a novelty. Lightning Rift was the one they were worried about which is why it costs a whopping ONE MANA to activate! It is the second case of "wow this might be really good. Let's limit it by adding an almost completely negligible cost." The other is Force of Will (and Contagion) requiring 1 life as well as pitching a card.

The plus of Astral Slide is now they know to check poo poo like this. It's also why Knowledge and Power costs 4R.

EDIT: Just off twitter, Nature's Ruin printed at rare in Vintage Masters

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 14, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Just coming in to post that I started playing at the Lorwyn prerelease and the fantastic art of that block was what really dug its hooks into me about Magic. Nowadays I'm just a big groggy Spike who is bad at Magic and unable to admit it but at the time it was goddamn sparkly fairy time, bitches and I loved it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

Dear Vintage Masters: Please have Hymn to Tourach.

Hymn was already printed in one of the ME sets, unless you want them to print it again at common to ruin Pauper some more.

edit: Yeah Hymn is less than two tickets and was in the first ME.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/li/299

Of interest I presume: the built in draft archetypes for Vintage Masters, beyond all the sheer value cards to be stuck in.

E:

Here's some Conspiracy spoilers:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 14, 2014

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Well, that's a weird card. But it's a 2/4 for 3, which is basically always good.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Magic Online Announcements May 13, 2014

Jace vs. Vraska is now available in the store; there are some fixes for the Wide Beta client; and June promos are announced.

June MOCS Promo

Gaea's Cradle

June Event Promo

Squelching Leeches

June Store Promo

Dictate of Kruphix

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I guess we're getting legends for each of the five thingers on the Conspiracy key visual?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Why to do all the renders of the Conspiricy/VM cards look like MSE cards? No set number info (probably intentional), no copyrights, the text boxes are all faded, and the highlights on the dies/draw/equip text also look like rear end. And "#will of the council#"? Thanks for the hash tag, I guess when they spoil cards they can only use 6 month old mock up now instead of the actual cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

Why to do all the renders of the Conspiricy/VM cards look like MSE cards? No set number info (probably intentional), no copyrights, the text boxes are all faded, and the highlights on the dies/draw/equip text also look like rear end. And "#will of the council#"? Thanks for the hash tag, I guess when they spoil cards they can only use 6 month old mock up now instead of the actual cards.

It's MTGO only and MTGO looks like rear end.

• Locked thread