Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress I was hoping Iwakuma would drop to the 3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

THE RED MENACE posted:

I think there are better players available but a good pitching staff in Miami is probably not a bad idea.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

THE RED MENACE posted:

He was first on my board to get picked with my upcoming pick and I imagine others would have done the same.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

THE RED MENACE posted:

Likewise. He was going to be the ace of my staff.

Really boned if my other hidden gem doesn't drop to me, and there's like 55 picks between now and then, so :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carpenter was a good pick, y'all need to stop taking guys I want to draft.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

IcePhoenix posted:

Carpenter was a good pick, y'all need to stop taking guys I want to draft.
PECOTA has him as the 4th highest WARP :smugmrgw:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

re: iwakuma there is a certain nick punto from nick puntoland that is a better player than him methinks

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

How does "no injuries" affect the ratings of players who have been marginal for significant periods of time due to injuries?

As a jokey example, say Mark Prior?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

How does "no injuries" affect the ratings of players who have been marginal for significant periods of time due to injuries?

As a jokey example, say Mark Prior?

If a player is a shell of themselves, and play like it, because of injuries, you will get that shell but he will not be hurt all the time.

If a player is awesome but gets hurt a lot and misses time, but continues being awesome when he's not hurt, you will get that awesome but he will not be hurt all the time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mynameisjohn posted:

PECOTA has him as the 4th highest WARP :smugmrgw:

PECOTA and some other projection engines really bought into what he was doing last season.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tadashi posted:

PECOTA and some other projection engines really bought into what he was doing last season.

Someone please inform Matt Carpenter IRL of this :(

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

FairGame posted:

Someone please inform Matt Carpenter IRL of this :(
don't, just don't... :rip:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

IcePhoenix posted:

If a player is a shell of themselves, and play like it, because of injuries, you will get that shell but he will not be hurt all the time.

If a player is awesome but gets hurt a lot and misses time, but continues being awesome when he's not hurt, you will get that awesome but he will not be hurt all the time.

Cool, thanks.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

YANKEES have like an hour and 30 minutes to get a pick in...hurry up, before you get ontup kcin

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really hope nobody gets autopicked before this Punto gets drafted because I'm really interested to see where he would actually be drafted.

When I was catching up with putting the picks in last night I noticed that there are players from this year's draft class in the player pool, so I just wanted to make sure that if anyone else is using OOTP to follow along they know that those guys are not eligible to be drafted. Prospects already in farm systems are still fair game, of course.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 13, 2014

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
In going to guess the autopick is Punto

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

THE RED MENACE posted:

In going to guess the autopick is Punto

But IcePhoenix said they'd be really UNhappy to get autopicked :confused:

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

I hope it's a certain centaurian Punto

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OOTP uses pitcher stamina and running speed for position players to hilarious ends in its evaluations. I can't wait to see which Punto it picks.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
Okay I'm here and now I need to figure out who I'm taking because Carpenter was atop my board. gently caress.

e: Picked.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cart Mountain posted:

I hope it's a certain centaurian Punto

That actually raises an interesting question because he's not injured but he sure is suspended.

Should I just axe any suspensions as well? I can only think of a couple that would matter, but I should have a ruling on it before it starts influencing a decision.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

That actually raises an interesting question because he's not injured but he sure is suspended.

Should I just axe any suspensions as well? I can only think of a couple that would matter, but I should have a ruling on it before it starts influencing a decision.

NO GODS NO MASTERS NO INJURIES NO SUSPENSIONS

says the guy who blew his first pick on Carlos Gomez

AND NO loving DH FOR ANYONE

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

IcePhoenix posted:

Ahahahahahaha holy loving poo poo, I just looked him up in OOTP to see how bad they think he'd be:

So maybe it's already wiped out because OOTP is treating it as an injury? :v:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Diagnosis: Roid User

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sexual Lorax posted:

AND NO loving DH FOR ANYONE

You're lucky I even put whether to add the DH to the NL or not to a vote.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The more I think about it the more I wish I had picked Sale instead if King Felix, gently caress

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
My surprise at none of you guys jumping all over Nick loving Punto of all guys is starting to turn to a cautious optimism!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

HAL9100 posted:

My surprise at none of you guys jumping all over Nick loving Punto of all guys is starting to turn to a cautious optimism!
It's truly ridiculous

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Been eyeing Joey Bats since the beginning of the 2nd round. Marauder! :argh:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

HAL9100 posted:

I think you meant Nick Punto, as there haven't been any Nick Puntos drafted yet that have the name "Matt Harvey."

Seriously please don't do this poo poo, everyone who hasn't been drafted yet is Nick Punto. It worked great last year.

Last page but poo poo I forgot sorry. At least he probably wouldn't have fallen much farther if he hadnt gotten mentioned, if it all.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I can't believe Bats went later than loving E5.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Can someone explain the logic of Iwakuma over Tanaka?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

Better (i.e., any) track record in the majors? I have no idea what the projections said about Tanaka before the season.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

mynameisjohn posted:

Felt he was a much, much safer pick in Round 2.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I am very happy to have been able to get Jared Weaver here. He is (In my opinion) the last ace available.

That being said, there is one player that I am honestly extremely shocked has not been picked yet considering how good he is, and the position he plays. I expect him to be taken soon, but this punto fell hard!.

IcePhoenix posted:

Your opinion is wrong.

>:c

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 14, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mks5000 posted:

I am very happy to have been able to get Jared Weaver here. He is (In my opinion) the last ace available.

Your opinion is wrong.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

mks5000 posted:

That being said, there is one player that I am honestly extremely shocked has not been picked yet considering how good he is, and the position he plays. I expect him to be taken soon, but this punto fell hard!.
there are a bunch of awesome pitchers available.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

mks5000 posted:

>:c

there are actually alot of really good pitchers left, some better than weaver imo.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Weaver can't be the last ace, because the ace of the Minnesota Twins, Nick Punto, is still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The PECOTA numbers I've seen like Weaver this year.

Latos was going to be my pick you rear end in a top hat :argh:

• Locked thread