Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Hi, do you have a moment to talk about Astia? I loving love Astia. Astia is great. Have I mentioned how much I love Astia?

Pallets by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

edit: Astia snype :c00l:

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

Hi, do you have a moment to talk about Astia? I loving love Astia. Astia is great. Have I mentioned how much I love Astia?

Pallets by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

edit: Astia snype :c00l:

If you love it so much why don't you marry it.

fake edit: dope stuff though, I shot portra after seeing your stuff with it, might have to try astia.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

reminds me of ektar

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Astia is loving awesome. It's a shame Fuji killed it instead of Velvia 100F. It was great for urban, nature and portraits!

Rubbish Bins, Pearl Centre, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

GBTB 01-08 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Jun by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 11, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Astia is on my list of stocks I want to try but are a pain in the rear end buying. Great stuff on this page.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Never shot Astia, but it looks awesome. All three shots are fantastic (the portrait being the best imho)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm happy with my new Pentax ME :dance:

Next thing you know I might shoot some interesting stuff with it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Astia was such a wonderful film. Provia I've found to be pretty close, but I don't like it quite as much. I have a pretty big stockpile from buying out a store's entire inventory a few years back, so let me make an offer to other Astiaphiles and the Astia-curious:

I'm going to free up fifteen rolls of 120 and give them away. I might give away one or two rolls of 35mm, too - I'll have to check to see what I have left, and I'll update this post when I get home.

Here's the catch: I want some of it back.

You can speak up for up to three rolls, and you'll have the rest of the year to shoot the film and have it developed. Once you're done, cut a short, unbroken strip (4 exposures of 645, 3 exposures of 6x6, 2 of 6x7 through 6x9, 1 of 617 if you are a crazy person) off of each roll and mail it back to me with a short letter telling me what you were doing and what you think of the film. I don't need your best exposures, just something you feel good about.

Scan and post your exposures here, or I'll do it for you. Toxx is optional, but appreciated.

Anyone want to play?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I'll :toxx: myself for a couple of rolls. PM incoming.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I am down for that, I've got a Lubitel I've only shot in black and white and would love to shoot some color through it.

pm'd

in other news, I'm playing around with my scanner so I can actually share what I've been doing.

hairblast by themodernsky, on Flickr

Arista EDU Ultra 400 is a grainy as all hell film, but I kinda like it.

Finally, I'm down to :toxx:

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 13, 2014

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

Astia was such a wonderful film. Provia I've found to be pretty close, but I don't like it quite as much. I have a pretty big stockpile from buying out a store's entire inventory a few years back, so let me make an offer to other Astiaphiles and the Astia-curious:

I'm going to free up fifteen rolls of 120 and give them away. I might give away one or two rolls of 35mm, too - I'll have to check to see what I have left, and I'll update this post when I get home.

You can speak up for up to three rolls, and you'll have the rest of the year to shoot the film and have it developed. Once you're done, cut a short, unbroken strip (4 exposures of 645, 3 exposures of 6x6, 2 of 6x7 through 6x9, 1 of 617 if you are a crazy person) off of each roll and mail it back to me with a short letter telling me what you were doing and what you think of the film. I don't need your best exposures, just something you feel good about.

Scan and post your exposures here, or I'll do it for you. Toxx is optional, but appreciated.

Anyone want to play?

I'll totally :toxx: myself. Pm incoming.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Yond Cassius posted:

Anyone want to play?
Sounds fun, I'll :toxx: for two rolls if you're OK to send them to the UK.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Yond Cassius posted:

Anyone want to play?

This is a rad opportunity, I'll play. Not the first time I've :toxx:'ed myself, ygpm.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Here's the list I have so far. Let me know if you want more, but do try to let as many people play as possible. I may expand this tonight, depending on the response I get - like I said, I have a big stash. At the top it was just over a hundred rolls, and I think I still have a little over half of that.

TheJeffers: 3
Understanding: 2
The Meat Dimension: 2
Big Scary Monsters: 2
Dog Nougat: 3

Three rolls left!

TheJeffers offered to let me choose which ones I wanted, but that's not necessary. I think part of the fun will be being surprised.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'll take two rolls. I don't have plat though, so I can't PM.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 13, 2014

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'll take two rolls. I don't have plat though, so I can't PM.

I'll get in touch with you once I have it all allocated!

I'm rounding up to a nice even 16, so there is one more set of two rolls available.

I will also give away a single roll of 35mm. 36 exposures (unless you shoot an XPan or something). I want six of them.

I made a similar offer to an off-board friend of mine, so we'll see if he bites. If he doesn't, I'll make his rolls available, so stay tuned.

Here's the list so far:

TheJeffers: 3 :toxx:
Understanding: 2 :toxx:
The Meat Dimension: 2 :toxx:
Big Scary Monsters: 2 :toxx:
Dog Nougat: 3 :toxx:
Paul MaubDib: 2 (no Toxx... yet?)

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
i'll do it if there's still film

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

I'm rounding up to a nice even 16, so there is one more set of two rolls available.

I will also give away a single roll of 35mm. 36 exposures (unless you shoot an XPan or something). I want six of them.

I made a similar offer to an off-board friend of mine, so we'll see if he bites. If he doesn't, I'll make his rolls available, so stay tuned.

Here's the list so far:

If no one has any to claims it, I'll totally bite off a giant bite here and see what I can do with 35mm and my F3. If someone who hasn't gotten anything yet or had less, I'll concede it to them.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

Here's the list so far:

I'm still terrible at taking pictures so if there is a roll left after everyone with talent gets some I'd love to try it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Probably too late, but if there are any rolls left I'll take 1 or 2.

Uh... :toxx: even though I don't know what that means.

PM sent.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Can I get in on a roll of 35mm if you have some more? The EOS 3 is itching for some new blood. Also I'll :toxx: that poo poo.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

dog nougat posted:

If no one has any to claims it, I'll totally bite off a giant bite here and see what I can do with 35mm and my F3. If someone who hasn't gotten anything yet or had less, I'll concede it to them.

Tony would like a go, so let's spread the Astiality around a bit.

ExecuDork posted:

Probably too late, but if there are any rolls left I'll take 1 or 2.

Uh... :toxx: even though I don't know what that means.

PM sent.

Toxx is putting your account on the line - you fail to deliver and you eat a ban.

Genderfluid has spoken for the last two of the ones I mentioned last night. I didn't get to check my freezer last night (other things came up, and it's in a Snapware box way in the back) but let me see what I can do for ExecuDork and Ezekiel_980. Anyone else want to get in line?

Edit: New list! I have slightly over 50 rolls left, it turns out. One pack fell behind some of my other film in the freezer. 22 will go to you goons, plus one roll of 35mm.

Genderfluid: 2 (no Toxx... yet?)
Ezekiel_980: 1
ExecuDork: 1 (maybe :toxx:)
Tony Two Bapes: 1 (35mm) :toxx:
Daspope: 1 :toxx:

Three rolls left. Maybe one more in 35mm, to let the small-camera crew share the love some more. In the interest of getting as many people in as possible, I'm now handing out single rolls unless specifically asked otherwise. Maxmars, Shellman, Quantum of Phallus, do you want any?

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 13, 2014

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I am up for either a roll or two of 120 or 35mm. I don't have pm's but can provide an email. Shipping to USA-TX if it matters. :toxx:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

Toxx is putting your account on the line - you fail to deliver and you eat a ban.

Genderfluid has spoken for the last two of the ones I mentioned last night. I didn't get to check my freezer last night (other things came up, and it's in a Snapware box way in the back) but let me see what I can do for ExecuDork and Ezekiel_980. Anyone else want to get in line?

Edit: New list! I have slightly over 50 rolls left, it turns out. One pack fell behind some of my other film in the freezer. 22 will go to you goons, plus one roll of 35mm.

Three rolls left. Maybe one more in 35mm, to let the small-camera crew share the love some more. In the interest of getting as many people in as possible, I'm now handing out single rolls unless specifically asked otherwise. Maxmars, Shellman, Quantum of Phallus, do you want any?

Sweet! thanks and I will hop on the :toxx: bandwagon as well.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Just in case anyone thinks I'm bluffing:

Deep freeze:

You can see the Astia I'm defrosting for you guys in the bottom left here, and the big cardboard box is about a hundred rolls of Ektachrome, mostly G:

I also have a mostly-full 50-pack of 35mm HD400 (Royal Gold 400, renamed), and a box of Tri-X stuffed in my camera bag, but who's counting?

ITT: post your film stash

( I have about 50 rolls of Plus-X and Astia hidden in the back row of the freezer, but... MrBlandAverage wins this round. )

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 13, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Yond Cassius posted:

Just in case anyone thinks I'm bluffing:

Deep freeze:

You can see the Astia I'm defrosting for you guys in the bottom left here, and the big cardboard box is about a hundred rolls of Ektachrome, mostly G:

I also have a mostly-full 50-pack of 35mm HD400 (Royal Gold 400, renamed), and a box of Tri-X stuffed in my camera bag, but who's counting?

ITT: post your film stash

:shepface:

:shepface::shepface:

:shepicide::shepicide::shepicide:

edit: there's another 200 sheets of Astia behind what's in front in that last photo.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 13, 2014

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Overflowing a dedicated film fridge into your food freezer is pretty impressive.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
drat. I'm insanely jealous of anyone with a dedicated film fridge/freezer. I thought I was being a bit excessive with about 40 rolls.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
All i have are about 10 rolls of bulk loaded Illford HP5+ sitting in my bag, and 15 rolls of Fuji Super G+ in my freezer :smith:

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
I think I have about six rolls of film currently. Those freezers are insane.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

dog nougat posted:

drat. I'm insanely jealous of anyone with a dedicated film fridge/freezer. I thought I was being a bit excessive with about 40 rolls.

For some of us, 40 rolls is closer to an order than a stash. After all, you can make more money, but they won't make more <insert your dead or dying favorite here>.
It is a mental illness.

I'm only releasing so much Astia because I've basically given up shooting color at all during the winter months, and I have an even larger quantity of Ektachrome SW that I love more.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't have a dedicated freezer so mine is all in with the food, but I've got about 50 boxes of LF film taking up way too much space. I barely ever even shoot with it and I really need to get around to selling some. Plus a few dozen rolls of 35mm and 120, but that all fits on one shelf so I don't mind so much.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, I should really try to stock up on films, especially since I started shooting again after a several year haitus. It's surprising and disappointing to see how many films were discontinued between 2008/9 and now. Film really is dying a slow death. I imagine it's going to be more and more of a niche thing than it already is. I imagine on 20 years or so it's gonna be incredibly uncommon/difficult to find. Maybe it'll see some sort of weird resurgence with the kids who grew up entirely in the digital era, but I doubt it.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
The Film Thread: Post your freezer.

Only 10 rolls of ektachrome, three rolls of ektar and 3 rolls of velvia. Pathetic next to most of you guys but Im sure it will be respectable eventually.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

dog nougat posted:

Yeah, I should really try to stock up on films, especially since I started shooting again after a several year haitus. It's surprising and disappointing to see how many films were discontinued between 2008/9 and now. Film really is dying a slow death. I imagine it's going to be more and more of a niche thing than it already is. I imagine on 20 years or so it's gonna be incredibly uncommon/difficult to find. Maybe it'll see some sort of weird resurgence with the kids who grew up entirely in the digital era, but I doubt it.
Kodak and Fuji will probably carry on reducing their range, but I'm pretty confident that there'll be smaller companies making film for a long time to come. It might be a niche market now but it's still quite a large niche. I don't mind losing Tri-X too much as long as I can still get HP5.

(Although the day that Portra is discontinued is the day I go broke buying freezers and film.)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Is pack film freezable? I haven't frozen mine because I was concerned about the liquid chemistry.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

try it with a lime posted:

Is pack film freezable? I haven't frozen mine because I was concerned about the liquid chemistry.

It is not.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Yond Cassius posted:

I'll certainly shoot a roll of 120 if there's any left and in for the :toxx:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

try it with a lime posted:

Fridge that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Here's the final Astia list:

Ezekiel_980: 1 :toxx:
ExecuDork: 1 :toxx:
voodoorootbeer: 1 :toxx:
Last-minute entry: Bud: 1 :toxx:

That's two one rolls under my limit, but that's probably for the better anyways.

Most of you have already gotten your addresses to me! Those of you who haven't, please do so soon, either by PM or by email <snip> by Friday. I'll have to get some boxes and padded envelopes, but they should go out next week.

I'll start a thread once they start coming back. If it goes well, maybe we can do another run with a different film!

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 16, 2014